Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

One of my favorite chocolate stouts out there & now its going to make my evening of reviewing other people's problems, that much better... Why won't they just let me drink in the office???

A- pours a thick black (no light getting through this one!) with a 1" mocha colored head on a vigorous pour. Head disipates to a mocha-colored cap that leaves intricate lacing through all 22 ounces of goodness

S- Rich chocolatey malts bitch slap you right away. Some nice hints of caramel & vanilla as well

T- Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa & caramel wiht a slightly bitter cocoa & hop finish.

M- A little lighter than I like in my stouts which make it more easily consumable than is probably good for me or my liver. Pretty active carbonation too. Mouthfeel is the one shortcoming of this beer, but even its not "bad."

D- As stated before, the body is a bit thinner than many stouts making this maybe a little too drinkable. Is that possible?

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Ordered from the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco. Came in a standard 12oz "pint" glass.

A: Dark, dark, dark, with a surprisingly slight head.

S: Sweet, chocolate, and malts, with a little vanilla.

T: Boom! Tons of chocolate up front and at the end, with the malts coming in during the middle. Almost like a milkshake as opposed to a beer!

MF/D: Creamy texture, low carbonation, I personally found this to be EXTREMELY drinkable. I'd read in other reviews that this isn't a session beer, but I disagree, I had four of these before I knew what was going on (probably down to my wife helping herself every time my back was turned.) Excellent beer which I thoroughly enjoyed, so much so there's a growler of it sitting in my fridge. (Ooh, speaking of which...!)

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque black with off brown/tan head that retains well.

Nose has a nougat-chocolate character that is very enticing.

On the palate the roasted malts, multi-chocolate flavours dominate, and hops are noticeable in the background to keep things from getting out of hand.

One of the most drinkable chocolate stouts I've ever had.

The chocolate components are truly some of the best around.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This poured out thick with a little bit of very dark brown head. It had a chocolaty scent, and a flavor to match. It tasted like a liquid bar of dark chocolate. Like chocolate milk, but beer. It was slightly bitter, but very drinkable. It had a good texture, and was just plain tasty. One of the best stouts I've ever had, if you're in the mood for chocolate.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Near black, dark brown color with a silky espresso head.

Complex profile of burnt, black and chocolate malts. Also a sweet fudgy aroma.

Not as sweet as I woud have thought. The chocolate is more bitter like raw cacoa. There is also a nice malt structure balanced by piney hops.

Full body and good carbonation. A very drinkable stout. No artificial flavoring here. This was good, but is much better fresh on tap. On nitro, this is close to a perfect beer.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a dark brown/black color, very little light being able to shine through (only on the edges), perfect sized head with great retention and some lacing.

Smell is quite sweet, finally a chocolate stout that intensely smells of chocolate, the chocolate aroma seems more like powdered cocoa that you'd make chocolate milk with.

Taste is bitter up front, the sweetness from the nose is lost on the taste, but not entirely when it finished with a chocolate aftertaste, the carbonation is killer though, definitely needs to be toned down a bit as it ruins the creaminess of this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

A - Pitch black with a fluffy/creamy 2 finger head.

S - Well, chocolate along with vanilla, coffee, & sweet malt.

T - Bitter chocolate. Coffee. Faint hops as well.

M - Bit too carbonated for me. Not as creamy as I'd like.

D - Fairly good. A bottle was no trouble.

You can taste the chocolate for sure. Would be good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I love stout. I love chocolate. But this combo missed the mark for me.

Poured from a 22oz. brown painted bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pitch black with a creamy tan head. Large bubbles make up the lace work that cling nicely to the glass.

S - Malty, sweet chocolate aroma with slight hints of spice and ripe fruit.

T - Sweet and chocolaty up front, followed by a smokey slightly bitter and somewhat metallic finish. The taste of this stout became more pronounced as it warmed up.

MF&D - Medium/Full bodied stout. Sticky and chewy mouthfeel. Not a beer to be sessioned, but I could see this one going great with a chocolate dessert or on its own.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Finished my Easter festivities (read: eating) with this and some Scharfenberger chocolate.

A- Pitch black with a creamy mocha head. Lace clinging to the high edges of the glass, leaving lace rings around the glass as the volume goes down. Looks something like a lake drying up leaving rings along the way down.

S- Roasted coffee/espresso mingled with dark chocolate. Smokey wood with chocolate, makes me think of camping and S'mores.

T- Bittersweet dark chocolate with that smokey woodiness. Ends with a creamy chocolate milkiness.

M- Smooth, creamy. great carbonation that is crisp and soft in the same swallow.

D- This is one of my favorite styles, and this is a great representative. I could easily drink many of these any time, any place. And with the Scharfenberger, I am telling you!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice light brown head. Looks like a good stout. Sits in the glass like a dark cola.
Wish it was darker and thicker.
Wow! This smells wonderful! Chocolate malt infussed! I think my nose is in a fancy chocoalte factory.

Tastes of dark bitter chocolate. (a good thing).
Creamy as this warms up. Some alcoholic flavors.
A great balance of sweet malts and bitterness.

Creamy and sugary mouthfeel that coats the pallet of chocolate malt like flavors. I am drinking this AS desert. It is incredible by itself. Another flavored offering by this brewery, I did not care for. This one. Hell yeah!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

It's no secret I love Stout.

This stout is one of the finest I have had. It pours an incredible black, when you shine it up to the light, the light vanishes.
The head is pretty frothy, and releases a pleasant aroma of chocolate, more specifically, cocoa.

Upon first sip, I was taken aback, being hit with a heavy flavor, it was almost too much. Almost.

As the beer started to warm up, it's drinkability soared through the roof, and the characteristics came through. The beer had notable hints of citrus, which matched well with the chocolate.

I enjoyed this beer with some vanilla bean ice cream, which I found to be an excellent pairing.

On the mouthful angle, I would say that 1 bottle is enough, because of how beefy the beer is. With that negative out of the way, another awesome beer from Rouge. Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Pours black, as in black, as in no light of day will ever penetrate this beer. There's about a half finger of cocoa colored head and some light lacing, nothing drastic.

S- When cold the beer emits smells of milk chocolate, that strongly remind me of cadbury eggs, very milky with a sweetness that's smooth and natural. There's also some hints of citrusy hops, tart orange, and weak grapefruit. As the beer warms I get more dark fruit and brown sugar coming off it. Quite an enjoyable smell, and nice complexity.

T- Again the most prominent taste is the substantially milky chocolate which is great tasting. This is one beer which I can really appreciate the real chocolate that's used. Hops are there, adding to the complexity of the taste, but playing second fiddle.

M- Smooth and creamy, like thick whole chocolate milk down my throat. Alcohol get's somewhat pronounced especially when warmer.

D- Complex, delicious. This is certainly a great dessert beer, but there's quite a bit of chocolate flavor, so I can see getting tired of it. But for now I'm happy to finish my bomber and enjoy a wonderful Rogue product.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Dark brown-black.. thick white head that slowly fades.. decent lacing...

S: Lots of chocolate.. sweet and bitter.. some caramel and vanilla.

T: Mostly dark bitter chocolate... not much in the way of the softer milk chocolate, caramel and vanilla i got in the aroma...

M: On the lighter end of the the full body spectrum... smooth. creamy.

D: Not too shabby... i'd certaintly have one or two in a night if its on tap.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I would put this Rogue beer on top of my favourite chocolate beers. Right along with Lost Coast Chocolate Porter.

The joy began right after opening the bottle. It pours a dark body and thick head that settled rather quickly.
Full body / chocolate smell is heavily present right after opening and in the glass. It has a nice smell that does not overtake the quality of the beer.
A very enjoyable beer, very smooth, full chocolate body, does not leave any bad aftertaste. A near perfect mix of chocolate malt and barley.

A good beer to share with people interested in discovering something new and appealing. Have yet to find any food I could pair it with. I thought about trying saltine with good Belgian chocolate, but was afraid it might ruin the enjoyment of the beer.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Since I was making jambalaya tonight for a potluck lunch tomorrow, I figured a top-of-the-line beer would go well with preparation and sampling. Chocolate Stout more than fits the bill. Two dense fingers of dark mocha froth top a deep ebony body, gorgeous. Thick lacing rings the DAB mug. Plenty of chocolate in the aroma, but caramel, molasses, and coffee also greet the nose.

The taste is simply divine. More complicated and balanced than Ommegang's own delicious Chocolate Stout, this creamy concoction is a dream beer for the palate. The sweetness has a nice complement in the coffee, with neither overwhelming the other. Chocolate is in charge, but not to such a degree that it displaces the other essential flavors. Spot on.

This is an extremely easy beer to enjoy, and worth grabbing a second. Big and smooth, this is certainly my favorite from Rogue. Outstanding.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Dark almost opaque brown with trace ruby rays as moves around the light. Pourous two finger vanilla head that disipates slowly with a moderate lace.
S - All kinds of chocolate milk, dark, and cream with a bit of a caramel accent.
T - Dispite the scent it is all deep dark chocolate in this one with a slight hop almost piney ending.
M - Lighter then I thought it would be but not a bad thing. Carbonation was in proper balance with the style, present but not overbaring.
D - Awesome brew and with the low alcohol content it makes a welcome addition to any session brew schedule.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

poured from a bomber into an oerbier glass.

deep brown color with a dark tan, 2 finger head on inital pour, head falls quick and lacing is thick at first. Smell is minor, getting very lite, almost hot chocolate smells, not as heavy as I expected.Tingaling on the tongue with a very nice chocolate after taste. This coming from someone that isn't a chocolate fan. Finish is a bit watery, slightly bitter. The roasted malt, smoky flavors really came out towards the end and when the beer warmed up. Not really my style, but I wouldn't turn one away if offered again.

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured dark brown, almost black, with a frothy tan head. It looks like black milk.

Smell is, surprise, chocolaty. You can tell they use real chocolate in the process, and not fake chocolate flavors.

Ready for a double wow? Taste is chocolaty too! Very creamy, very chocolaty, with some bitter dark cocoa following. There's a bit too much of the sweeter milk chocolate flavors, which I could go without, but overall it's well balanced.

It finishes clean, taking care of some of the rich flavors and making it fairly drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured the bomber bottle into my mug and received a one-finger frothy head that slowly died, leaving small lacings. This sat on what was essentially a black body that you could barely see through when held up to the light. Not to be redundant, but the smell is chocolatey. I mean, there are hints of other malts in there and hops, but putting my nose in my glass was akin to unwrapping a chocolate bar and smelling it. Not only does the beer have a very pronounced chocolate taste, but it has a dryer feel to it, as if there were coffee and/or roasted malts in it. A smooth beer overall with some hop catching you on the backbite. I detected mild fruit flavors, but that could be my imagination. I just wish Rogue would sell this in six-pack form rather than just the bomber bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottled, consumed 01/03/08.

Almost-black pour creates a lingering dark tan head. Aromas are red wine like fruit and, you guessed it, chocolate. Mouthfeel is unremarkable. The flavor is strong bitter chocolate/cocoa that grows more defined as the beer goes down. Slight sweetness totally conquered by big bitter flavor. Oats mellow the flavor somewhat, but only a little.

Not really my bag.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a great opaque color with a wonderful tan head and excellent lacing. It has a very nice scent. a bit of burnt grains with a hint of chocolate. Outstanding taste! A great stout, with burnt grains and coffee flavoring, along wiht an absolutely wonderful dark chocolate taste. It's creamy and goes down great. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, this is a black beer! Thick, solid, tan head leaves some lacing on the glass. This beer is opaque; I held it right up to a light bulb and no light comes through whatsoever.

Smells like cocoa, dark roasted coffee, caramel.

Taste is immediately dark bittersweet chocolate, like natural unsweetened cocoa, then malty, roasted coffee. Nicely balanced with a hop finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth, not to heavy, light to medium carbonation. Surprisingly light-bodied for such a dark beer.

This is a surprisingly drinkable beer for it's color! Taste is hearty without being too heavy. I could definitely sip on more than one of these in one night. Another great brew from Rogue.

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Deep black oily pour with a nice medium to small sized brown head. Smell is sweet milk chocolately. Pretty smooth tasting, with an obvious big flavor of chocolate up front, followed by a noticeable, but slight hop presence in the finish. Somewhat crisp carbonation. Rich and chocolately as expected and quite good, but very simple at the same time. Might have rated a bit higher had I been more in the mood for something dark and rich.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Rogue Chocolate Stout

A: Looks like oil being poured out of the bottle. It has a lot of carbonation, and a nice brown head on top.

S: It smells of dark roasted malts, with a hint of chocolate.

T: The carbonation hits your tongue, and while you are letting the beer roll around on your tongue, the beautiful roasted malts come out. The malts are quite nice and refreshing; however, the chocolate rests on your tongue and it begs you to drink more. I figured there would be more chocolate in this beer, but it's still god damn tasty.

M: Thick as fuck. This feels like you can eat it with a spoon!

D: Incredibly drinkable considering it's thickness. I'm sure that after 2 or 3 pints, I'll be full, but I'd still want another!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales