Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

A - received the ale cold in a standard pint glass
Thick black body with thin sandstone tan shade head.

S - Bittersweet chocolate and chocolate malt aromas coplimented with sublte citrus odors that lingers with a faint hop aroma. The smell is similar to chocolate cereal.

M - Creamy tip of the tongue sweetness tantalizes. The full body and dry chocolate sweetness finishes with a slight bitterness.

T - Chocolate, the bittersweet variety similar to baking chocolate and cocoa flavors. Nutty and roasty malt with a subtle dry texture. Sweet mixes with bitter or spicy hop tinges toward the end.

D - Decent amount of chocolate in the aroma keeps you coming back. The Cocoa and bittersweet cocoa tastes are the primary flavor with a citric hop quality and a dry stout finish. It is a decent chocolate stout, but not the best chocolate ale overall.

Slatetank, Apr 15, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

650 ml bottle, "Made with imported chocolate" stamped on bottle.

Pours almost black with a foamy tan head that descends to a thin cover.

The smell is of sweet chocolate with some cherry notes.

The taste is of bittersweet chocolate truffle upfront. Slightly chalky. Some metallic/plastic notes. Opposite of descriptiion - start off sweeter and ends more bitter. Not too fond of the way the Cascade hops work together with the dark malt and chocolate.

The feel is a bit thinner than expected, but holds up decently. Doesn't quite coat the mouth the way I would like it to.

I love chocolate and stouts, but this one doesn't thrill me. I much prefer the Shakespeare Stout.

jwc215, Apr 13, 2007

Bomber with a woman drawn in the typical Rogue style. Pours brown-black with a fluffy off-white head and gobs of lacing; the head and lacing make it look like a black IPA.

The immediate aroma is a strong cocoa note, along with some roasted malts. There is a clear Cascade hop smell that contrasts interestingly with strong sweetness of the chocolate.

The flavor profile, like the aroma, is bimodal-- lots of early overpowering sweetness and chocolate flavor which gives way to citric hop flavor and bitterness. The typical pacific northwest hop-everything-to-death approach works really well here-- the strong and slightly artificial cocoa flavor would become sickening and cloying after two sips without the hops. With them, this is one of the more interesting tasting beers I've had, and one of the first really hoppy stouts that I've liked.

My only real beef with this beer is the same one I had with Shakespeare Stout-- the mouthfeel is way too thin. I like my stouts to be chewier and more substantial, especially when they have such a strong chocolate flavor. Even looking at this as a stout/APA hybrid (which, in a way, it is), I still need more weight, and I think this can only really be delivered at 7+% ABV.

On the upside though, it's hugely drinkable-- I drank a bomber of this stuff without blinking once.

kajerm, Apr 12, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

22 oz. bomber with no freshness date

Appearance: deep dark black with brown hues and a creamy tan head.

Smell: CHOCOLATE, scent of sweet chocolate, vanilla and even a little coffee.

Taste: From start to finish its a refreshing taste of sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate. This beer has the most natural chocolate flavor of any i have had. Hops are certainly there to round the beer out but the 69 IBU's certainly don't come across as bitter at all.

Drinkability: After ever sip you just want more and more. Alcohol is not really picked up on the palate. This beer is just so damn smooth and so damn tasty.

Overall: This beer was truely love at first taste, my favorite stout by far and one of, if not my favorite beer. Find it. Drink it. Enjoy

YankChef, Apr 09, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

another bottle courtesy of my secret bunny, alohaC. thanks christian!

22oz bottle.

pours very dark brown, not quite black, and nearly opaque. a huge dense light brown head rises up and is very slow to drop, leaving tons of lace behind.

aroma is great. milk chocolate, with a little dark chocolate too. hint of alcohol. light roast. bit of coffee. biscuit malt. bit of floral hops.

taste is great. loads of chocolate, with noticeable milk, dark, and bittersweet chocolates. med-low bitterness. light roast. coffee. biscuit malt. even with low roast, there's a bit of ashy character to it, mostly when cold.

mouthfeel is good. moderate well integrated carbonation. medium bodied. light astringency, a touch higher than i expected.

drinkability is good. well balanced. when cold i found the chocolate to be somewhat muted, with the more ashy and astringent character coming through. as it warms a little more sweetness shows and the ashyness mellows.

grub, Apr 08, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Wow, this is one dark beer - pitch black with a sturdy and creamy tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing once gone. The smell is dominated by (what else) chocolate, but it is a sweet, milk chocolate smell with hints of vanilla. This smells better than some chocolate baked goods I've smelled. The taste follows suit - big dark chocolate flavor with a nice roasted oat finish, absolutely delicious. There is a some carbonation here, which I think could be toned down a little bit. This beer could use a bit more creaminess. I returned from Easter brunch a poured this for dessert & boy, I wish I had a couple more. This is one helluva beer - excellent stuff. Highest recommendation.

montageman, Apr 08, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

I, as well as a handfull of reviewers out of hundreds, found dissapointment in this beer.

The body is black with a dark mahogany tint when held by a light. The head is brown, but it looks thin like when pouring and MGD. Head fades quickly as suspected.

I found the chocolate smell to be overpowering. Right away you know what you're getting into with this beer. It is a smell of bitter chocolate, and not chocolate malts either. We're talking just ground from the cocoa bean chocolate, not sweet. I later read the ingredients on the bottle, which is a nice touch I must say, but I was dissapointed in "chocolate flavoring". Flavoring? So, really they mean a chocolate flavored syrup, am I right? I do hope that there is no high fructose corn syrup in this beer.

Once again I find the chocolate taste completely overpowering. I don't taste any coffee, toffee, or burnt nodes of flavor...just chocolate flavoring.
I do believe I bought this beer to taste, well, beer instead of a masking chocolate taste. It finishes with an oat bitterness that is better than the beer when in mid-swig.

Oats and barley help out in this department. Whether the oats are used as an adjunct to improve the mouthfeel or it's actually part of the intended flavor, I do not know. What I do know is that for a stout it was pretty average with the oats and co. helping to just make the deadline.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the chocolate taste is just too bitter and overbearing. I'm suspicious of the "flavoring", but happy that they printed it so I could think about it in the first place. Points for honesty. I won't have another of these for a very long time if I can help it. I would much rather have a Young's Double Choc. Stout (in the bottle, not can). They probably use flavoring, too, but I feel it is done much better.

tapman, Apr 08, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Wow!

Poured from a 22oz bomber about 99% completely black. The head is a full thick brown that stays pretty well and leaves good webbing.

Smells intensely like a fine dark chocolate bar.

The taste is exactly what you expect it to be - chocolaty, very, very chocolaty! Hints of coffee come out as well and possibly some fruit? (raspberry's???) It is very creamy and smooth. This is exactly what i wanted in a beer.

Easily in my top 3 favorite beers of all time. Highly recommended to anyone.

Douglas14, Apr 07, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Wifes new favorite beer. Should call it "the sure thing."
Poured into tall pils glass.
Black as night with thick brown head.
Smell is of dark chocolate truffles with hint of cocoa and hops.
Taste is liquid chocolate cake with slight hint of hops.
M/D - goes down easy, but not sure I could drink it all night, it goes well with a dessert of chocolate cake or something with cinnamon.
Enjoy.

calinative68, Apr 07, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass, this beer is black as night. The inch-tall head rises a dark tan and sticks around for ages.

S: Big surprise, this chocolate stout smells like chocolate. A part milk chocolate and a part baking chocolate.

T: Phenomenal. Milk and dark chocolates, some roasted malt bitterness, and a even a little hop zing for balance.

M: Like drinking velvet, in a good way. Smooth, full-bodied, and luxurious.

D: Can you really eat too much chocolate? nah..

illidurit, Apr 04, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +1%

22 oz bottle into a mug. Pours beautiful. Insanely huge light brown head that takes about an hour and a half to disappear (I didn't wait). Frothy and billowy, great looking. Color is dead black, with just a hint of brown along the seams of the glass. Basically the best looking beer I've ever seen. Nose is almost all the way coffee, some alcohol hints, and a good amount of sweet chocolately mocha. Taste is intense, to say the least. Lots of roasted malt and coffee bitterness up front. Nice citrus comes in too, but not too much. Them comes the sweeter chocolate on the tip of the tongue. Ends with a nice mix of hoppy bitterness and malty sweet; doesn't overwhelm with bitterness like the Shakespeare. Feel is creamy and full-bodied, although with solid carbonation for such a heavy stout.

soupyman10, Mar 27, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours pitch black with a creamy tan head.

Smell: holy chocolate! Smells like a chocolatier's shop with a hint of coffee.

The first taste to hit is a bit of roasted malt, but is immediately followed the the rich and creamy chocolate flavor mixed with a touch of mocha. The mix of these two principle flavors is what makes this truly spectacular. Very well-balanced.

This brew goes down very smooth and creamy. It reminds me of nice creamy Swiss/Italian chocolate. I would say it is a medium-full body...not too full, but still has a lot to it.

I could drink this one until I am stuffed. An excellent brew. This is the best stout that I have had to date without a doubt.

penguinjive7, Mar 24, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a Rogue (So You Want A Revolution?) pint glass.

A: A deep black with a thick light tan head. There is some dark reddish-copper colors at the junction of the beer and the head.

S: Dark Chocolate (obviously), coffee and toffee.

T: The hops hit the taste-buds first, not overpowering but right on and rather balanced. They are only slightly bitter but balance out nicely with the malts and chocolate. Next is the taste of slightly bitter coffee. The aftertaste is that of rich dark, creamy chocolate. It is not overpowering but rather subtle. Not like drinking a chocolate milkshake but more like eating a very dark and bitter chocolate truffle.

M: Chewy with the hops lightly felt on the tongue.

D: This is a very drinkable beer for such a big body. With the first pint it feels and tastes like drinking a slightly bitter coffee. The second pint, as it warms, the smell and taste shift more to the chocolate side of this brew. It's probably not something I will be drinking once a week but it makes for a very good desert beer on it's own or served with desert. A very interesting and intriguing beer. It grew on my as I drank it and at the end I liked it quite a bit.

willjschmidt, Mar 24, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I was very excited to try this beer but over all not impressed.

It poured a very dark,dark brown with hints of amber towards the head. The head was thick and creamy but diminished quickly.

The smell was awesome. It was so chocolatey and rich with hints of roasted coffee and toffee.

The taste was a dissapointment. It was not very flavorfull at all. It lacked everything that smell made me believe it would taste like.

The mouthfeel was a little gritty, not very smooth. Maybe I was just upset because the taste was a bit boring and it brought the mouthfeel down as well? I can't really say I'm dying to try this again.

KATE12, Mar 23, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Presentation: c.2005 vintage 22oz bottle, cellared for approximately 18 months, in a classic conical pint glass

While retrieving this beer, I could not help but notice a solid 3/16" of packed sediment on the bottom of the glass.

Well, its nice (and a bit of a relief to be honest) to hear a decent amount of carbonation as I pour. It pours thick, viscious, yet steadily & softly cracklin' with life.

Nose is insanely deep, making me work at it, like trying to smell a shadow. Deep, rich, mysterious, rich yet subtle stone fruits (black cherry, fig), oily black Cajun coffee, deep roasted malt hues are abundant yet fleeting. Bitter baking chocolate is present, subtle charred wood, charcoal dust. As it warms the chocolate quality rises & grows, as do some wood tones. Head was a nice, lively pinky's worth of loose mocha stained foam, cola like in agitation and song. It sang for a minute, then disappered leaving nary a trace...nada....nothing. Color is the blackest umber imaginable (as I have become fond of saying its "black in a good mood"), no light getting thru this one.

Hmmm, well that sediment could not have been cocoa! Wonderfully smooth, wet, velvety, rich with milk chocolate. Burnt malts add a pleasing bitter counterweight but are not overpowering. Oh, this is smoooth on the tongue. Caramel qualities rise over the milk chocolate hues, I'm just gonna sit back, relax, and let this baby drive me home taking the long, lazy scenic route! Time has certainly not hurt this. There is a pleasing, eye closing, inhale deeply and sssllooowwly savory exhale quality to the chocolate & caramel tongue feel. I find myself rolling it over & over & over in my mouth, ironically like a candy or piece of chocolate. This is indulgent.

Any subsequent refills of the pint from the 22oz bottle stir a head activity, and each one last longer than the previous, this one leaving a floating sheen and a glass edge ring. Still no lacing.

It evens out on the palate with a milky sweetness rising up, some caramel echoes add to the sweet quality. Malts finally take a stand against all this chocolate and are noticable with a lukewarm, black coffee flatness. It finishes nicely bitter, slightly dry, with a hop kick and some alcohol warmth, which I find a welcome change from all these pleasantries to this point.

I saved a small Hershey's Special Dark bar to try with the last few sips to see what it would do as a trigger. Amazingly the oils in the chocolate made the chocolate & caramel qualities in the stout vanish, making what was a luscious, wet chocolately stout rather dry...interesting.

This was a wonderful, luxurious experience. Can't say I've had a stout like this. I have certainly tasted similar qualities in other stouts, but never like this. I can definitely vouch for this Rogue offering as a cellaring candidate. If you have a chance, put one away for a year or so and taste for yourself.

BuckSpin, Mar 22, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A-Nice and dark, think creamy brown head that stays.

S-Wow! Chocolate, a tad roasty with a slight hop bitterness.

T-Nice full body, I can really taste the chocolate, as above a tad roasty.

What a great stout, the first few are very drinkable, after that I start getting a tad full. It was a realy treat to find this on tap.

Ralelen, Mar 22, 2007

take a trip with me
gluttony is a virtue
in winter stout warms

As good as a chocolate stout is going to get. Not as thick as Youngs, but with a more authentic and more embedded chocolate taste. This is easily the most decadent beer I have drank and also among the most drinkable. This is Rogue's best.

philberinghele, Mar 22, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a dark black, with browns and reds at the edges. Head is a dark cream color, not too thick, not too thin. Smell is very chocolatey, with some coffee and toffee. Dark and roasty all the way with this one. Taste is VERY good, tastes like a hearty stout mixed with chocolate syrup (then again, for all I know, that could be the case). Mouthfeel is thick, but not unpleasant. This one coats the mouth a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The only downside to this beer for me is the drinkability. The richness of it is honestly a bit too much for me. Very good, but I would almost have to down this one as shots. If you have the constitution to overcome the sheer richness of it, and like chocolate stouts, I'd heartily recommend this one. If you're like me, and like something not quite so overpowering, I'd suggest splitting it with a friend. Delicious beer, just hard to drink.

StargherKing, Mar 18, 2007
4.16/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out a deep, dark black color with a one-finger mocha head. Leaves lace from top to bottom.

S - It smelled of malt and chocolates.

T - It tasted of dark chocolate and roasted malt. A little bittersweet.

M - It was creamy and buttery. A heavy-bodied beer.

D - An amazing beer. It is like drinking a bar of great dark chocolate.

zeff80, Mar 16, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark brown color (nearly black) with a creamy brown one finger head. Nice retention and decent lacing.

Smell: Very chocolaty smell. It also has a bit of a coffee fragrance along with a smoky, malt smell. Finally, there are hints of toffee that come through.

Taste: Initially, there is a very nice dark chocolate flavor. There's also an espresso/coffee taste that blends very nicely with the chocolate. Lastly, it's malty and tastes smoky.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This is a very light and smooth stout. At 6%, it's pretty drinkable. I could down a couple of bombers with ease. Overall, this is a damn good offering from Rogue. Highly recommended.

prototypic, Mar 16, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger espresso-foam-color head with a little bit of retention and some good spotty lacing. Body is the deepest possible brown. Looks great.

Smell - chocolate and roasted dark malt - mouthwatering !

Taste - chocolate, roasted malt, and lapsang suchong black tea ( a malty tea roasted over pine-wood fire ) . Very, very rich. Also very bitter and very sweet - much like both chocolate and stout each by themselves, much less together !

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, somewhat chewy, and semi-dry, if not outright dry at times.

Drinkability - this is excellent ale, and sessionable to boot. Also would go well for and/or with dessert.

ultralarry2006, Mar 15, 2007

Nice chocolate aroma in the nose and on the palate. I was surprised that there were cascade hops in a dark brew like this. I thought cascades might have worked better, but then the flavor of the beer was impressive and the hops really work nicely. Nice chocolateness to the beer as well as chocolate malts with a roasted characteristic. Not as thick as I like my stouts to be. the only thing disappointing about this beer was the head, which disappated fast. For being such a complex brew with 69 bitterness units, this beer was drinkable. Clings to the mouth well, but not very crisp or full or thick like other stouts.

The beer wasn't as full in the bottle as it could have been, did that effect the appearance? Most people rate it a 4 to 4.5

jasonjlewis, Mar 14, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

I had this from a bottle at the Rogue Brewery in Newport, OR. It poured a deep dark brown-black color, not a large or foamy head. It had a mild aroma of chocolate and malt, but not overwhelming. The taste was surprisingly thin and watery for a stout, not full-bodied at all and the flavor of chocoalte wasn't very strong.

kdoc8, Mar 13, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I have been on the lookout for the perfect chocolate stout- here it is. So sexy creamy black on the pour, with sticky lacing and head. Aromas were slightly coffee like with some undertones of chocolate in the malt. The taste- pure essence of cocoa. Bittersweet chocolate to the max. The absence of cloying sweetness made this brew absolutely delicious. Some mild flowery sweetness, like honey is in the wings to round it out, and the thick body can take it. Goes down so easy- my tastebuds are in heaven.

kernalklink, Mar 07, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland.

BusyNinja, Mar 04, 2007