Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The bottle smelled immediately like chocolate upon opening. It was like unwrapping a bar of dark chocolate. The beer poured thick and black, forming a lingering brown head. No light made it through the glass.

The beer smelled of chocolate, but not in a sickly sweet or overpowering way. There was still that soft roasty note that stouts have. Chocolate is, of course, the main taste in the beer, but the roasty notes and just a bit of soft hops show through in the finish, which is crisp. The whole bomber went down nice and silky.

Black pour with a short mocha brown head. Agood swirl brings it back up and releases the aroma. Intense bittersweet chocolate and malted milk. Smells really delicious. Interesting...The taste is not as overly sweet as the smell would lead you to believe. Reminds me of more of a milk chocolate than a bitter darker one. There are some welcome bitter notes on the finish though. Mouthfeel is good, very smooth. Carbonation does not make itself too noticeable. Very drinkable. The alcohol is low enough that it is a non issue. Delicious and filling beer. Very solid.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Thick pour, but has an elegant formation for 1 inch of head.

Smelled of extremely sweet chocolate malts and nutty aroma.

Upon first taste, the chocolate sensation is immediately present, but a woody flavoring hits the palatte right before consumption of the sip.

The aftertaste contains a sweet and pleasant blend of the woody flavor and the dominant chocolate notes.

The mouthfeel of this stout is very thick and syrupy while the balanced alcohol % is noticeable... Overall, a fine choice for an after-dinner beverage and high on my list of chocolate stouts.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK, I've had this before in bottle and on tap. Decided to review the bottle, which meant I had to drink it again. Darn the luck...
Pours a rich, smooth black body topped by a thick and rick dark tan head. Nice retention and lacing.
Smells very very nice. Coffee and chocolate blen well here, along with dark fruit, anise and some prune.
Tastes wonderful. the balance between the chocolate and coffee is outstanding. Like having a chocolate coffee. Black fruits round out the palate to give a hint of sweetness other than the chocolate. Good subtle bite on the end takes care of any residue or lingering aftertastes that may be unpleasant.
Great beer.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Bomber into a tulip glass.

A sandy, taupe-colored head appears thick and leaves little lacing, but is well retained. Body is a deep, seal brown and impermeable to light. Lots going on in the aroma department: gingerbread, cinnamon, sugar, dough, chocolate, toffee, and a dash of spice & fruit.

Taste isn't as flavorful as the aroma'd suggest: some bready malt notes with chocolate and mocha coffee. A spritzy mouthfeel for a stout, a bit thin, but with good carbonation levels. It falls a bit flat after about ten minutes, but the taste gets better as it warms. A bitter, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste finishes the flavor. Basically, the aroma on this beer hooked me. Everything else is good, like most Rogues. Definately one I'll be having again.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark black, with a tan two finger head that didn't stick around very long. Good color for the style. Smells of sweet chocolates with hints of vanilla and caramel. Very Very sweet smell. This smells really good cold, I will have to let this warm up a bit and then smell it too. I would have to rate this as one the best smelling ,for the style, that I have ever smelled. Doesn't seem to taste as sweet as I would have expected. Has a nice dark, very bitter chocolate fell through most of the drink, finishes with a burnt toast or kind of an oatmeal stout character, with just a hint of vanilla. This is a very full brew with minimal carbonation, perfect for the style. I may just add this to my regular drinking list. I should also note that if beers were rated on smellability this would rate a 5. I could smell this brew all day long.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a long time favorite of mine. I was even lucky enough to have Chocolate Stout served to me by Sebbie herself at this past year's Philly Craft Beer Fest.

APPEARANCE: Pours black, black, black with a 2-finger loose-bubbled tan head. It lasts for a considerable amount of time looking picture perfect. Lacing is also spectacular. This beer can't possibly look any better.

SMELL: A major amalgam of smells, but the chocolate (not surprisingly) stands out the most. Bittersweet cocoa is right up front with a backing of caramel, roasted barley, and a bit of diacetyl. The chocolate aromas don't seem artificial either, like one would see (smell) in other beers. Wonderfully chocolaty!

TASTE: It starts out mildly malty and roasty with heavy flavors of Pacman. The chocolate comes on soon enough and in perfect levels of intensity. The finish is roasty with continuing chocolaty-ness and a bitterness of black malt and northwest hops. Clearly one of the best uses of chocolate in a beer that I've ever had.

MOUTHFEEL: The falling point of this beer unfortunately. Not that it's thin, but it's just not as beefy and thick and mouth-coating as I'd prefer. It's almost a bit watery despite the medium body.

DRINKABILITY: I couldn't have chosen anything better to have for dessert tonight. The sweetness of this may not be for everyone, but it's certainly for me.

Thank you Rogue and thank you Sebbie for giving us this wonderful brew that I'll be going back to again and again. This brew proves that beer and chocolate are a combination that works together fantastically.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Great for a desert, would drink this as a reward to self.

Appearance - BLACK! Did not lighten up a bit when held up to the light. Nice dark tan head.

Smell - Dark chocolate, malty. Gentle but solid aromas.

Taste - Yummy. A little softer carbonation & lightening up on the hop bitterness would have made this perfect. Definitely reminded me of Hershey's dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Chocolate taste lated forever on the palate. I now k now why the lady on the label had a big smile. Could have been a little bit smoother.

Drinkability - Loved it, but not sure about drinking this one all night long.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I bought a 650 ML bottle of Rogue Chocolate Stout at a grocery store. Poured in to a pint tumbler.

Pours an ebony black color and is opaque, with a frothy camel hair brown head. The head is quite resilient and leaves a lot of brown bubbly lace on the glass. Almost like a brownish marshmallow residue from hto chocolate.

The smell is fairly faint, not as strong as I expected anyway, and has chocolate and dairy aromas.

The taste is predictably chocolate (natural chocolate flavoring added). There is also a mellow malt flavor in the background, and then a mildly bitter finish. The flavors are well mingled and balanced. It tastes a little bit like instant hot chocolate (Swiss Miss).

Mouth feel is smooth and full bodied. Not as thick as I thought it might be.

This is a drinkable brew, but certainly not an everyday sort of thing. It would be good in the winter, maybe for a holiday gathering. I'd have it again. I'll look for it around the holidays.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Had this from a 22 oz bottle.

Opened the bottle and the chocolate aroma hit me. It drank this slowly and the aroma didn't disapate. The taste had the complexity and variety that you find in good dark chocolate. I kept thinking this was a premium chocolate bar in a bottle.

The color was ebony with a tan somewhat coffee colored head that lasted and tasted creamy. The inch + head eventually went down, but each time I swished the glass it can back somewhat.

As I said the taste mirrored the aroma chocolate and bitter hops, dry on the tongue, not unpleasant, maybe a little malt not sweet, but balancing the bitterness. It had some fizziness which also mitigated the bitterness.

Concidering the bitterness it was surprisingly light on the tongue. All in all a good job of balancing.

I am not sure how to rate the drinkability. The taste stayed with me for quite a while. Not unpleasant. A drinkable chocolate bar and I like chocolate. It is just that I got satiated on this, it is not a beer that I can drink more that one of.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

22oz bomber into pint glass

Pours a very dark brown which appears black in the glass. Easily 3 fingers of thick frothy and persistant tan head which decorates the glass with sheets of lace.

Scent is sweet chocolate and vanila and dark fruit and soft powdered cocoa.

Taste? Tart at first! I taste blackberries and cream! Followed by sweet chocolate and a lingering dark cocoa finish. Wow! This is absolutely delicious! After the very long dusty cocoa subsides I even notice a subtle citrus hop flavor and gentle bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a creamy medium-heavy.

Drinkability is very high.

I'm really impressed by this beer. Probably the best "chocolate" stout I've had. The tart fruity berry taste, the dramatic long finish, the way the hops sneak in at the very last moment... What a remarkable beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two 16oz pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist.

A: Deep, dark, black with a really pretty mocha colored head. Pours with the consistancy of chocolate milk.

S: Big chocolate aroma dominates. This is followed closely by hops and something I can only describe as bitter cocoa.

T: Bittersweet chocolate, bitter hops, with a bitter, bitter, bitter burnt malt finish. Also detected a fleeting hint of coffee in there.

M: I found the mouthfeel on this one to be too dry, puckery, and bitter. I expected more creaminess from a "chocolate stout".

D: Strange, but while I found this to be dry like a desert, I was won over by the immense chocolate and dark roasted/burnt malt flavors going on with this one. A challenging stout, indeed.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A - received the ale cold in a standard pint glass
Thick black body with thin sandstone tan shade head.

S - Bittersweet chocolate and chocolate malt aromas coplimented with sublte citrus odors that lingers with a faint hop aroma. The smell is similar to chocolate cereal.

M - Creamy tip of the tongue sweetness tantalizes. The full body and dry chocolate sweetness finishes with a slight bitterness.

T - Chocolate, the bittersweet variety similar to baking chocolate and cocoa flavors. Nutty and roasty malt with a subtle dry texture. Sweet mixes with bitter or spicy hop tinges toward the end.

D - Decent amount of chocolate in the aroma keeps you coming back. The Cocoa and bittersweet cocoa tastes are the primary flavor with a citric hop quality and a dry stout finish. It is a decent chocolate stout, but not the best chocolate ale overall.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

650 ml bottle, "Made with imported chocolate" stamped on bottle.

Pours almost black with a foamy tan head that descends to a thin cover.

The smell is of sweet chocolate with some cherry notes.

The taste is of bittersweet chocolate truffle upfront. Slightly chalky. Some metallic/plastic notes. Opposite of descriptiion - start off sweeter and ends more bitter. Not too fond of the way the Cascade hops work together with the dark malt and chocolate.

The feel is a bit thinner than expected, but holds up decently. Doesn't quite coat the mouth the way I would like it to.

I love chocolate and stouts, but this one doesn't thrill me. I much prefer the Shakespeare Stout.

Bomber with a woman drawn in the typical Rogue style. Pours brown-black with a fluffy off-white head and gobs of lacing; the head and lacing make it look like a black IPA.

The immediate aroma is a strong cocoa note, along with some roasted malts. There is a clear Cascade hop smell that contrasts interestingly with strong sweetness of the chocolate.

The flavor profile, like the aroma, is bimodal-- lots of early overpowering sweetness and chocolate flavor which gives way to citric hop flavor and bitterness. The typical pacific northwest hop-everything-to-death approach works really well here-- the strong and slightly artificial cocoa flavor would become sickening and cloying after two sips without the hops. With them, this is one of the more interesting tasting beers I've had, and one of the first really hoppy stouts that I've liked.

My only real beef with this beer is the same one I had with Shakespeare Stout-- the mouthfeel is way too thin. I like my stouts to be chewier and more substantial, especially when they have such a strong chocolate flavor. Even looking at this as a stout/APA hybrid (which, in a way, it is), I still need more weight, and I think this can only really be delivered at 7+% ABV.

On the upside though, it's hugely drinkable-- I drank a bomber of this stuff without blinking once.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

22 oz. bomber with no freshness date

Appearance: deep dark black with brown hues and a creamy tan head.

Smell: CHOCOLATE, scent of sweet chocolate, vanilla and even a little coffee.

Taste: From start to finish its a refreshing taste of sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate. This beer has the most natural chocolate flavor of any i have had. Hops are certainly there to round the beer out but the 69 IBU's certainly don't come across as bitter at all.

Drinkability: After ever sip you just want more and more. Alcohol is not really picked up on the palate. This beer is just so damn smooth and so damn tasty.

Overall: This beer was truely love at first taste, my favorite stout by far and one of, if not my favorite beer. Find it. Drink it. Enjoy

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

another bottle courtesy of my secret bunny, alohaC. thanks christian!

22oz bottle.

pours very dark brown, not quite black, and nearly opaque. a huge dense light brown head rises up and is very slow to drop, leaving tons of lace behind.

aroma is great. milk chocolate, with a little dark chocolate too. hint of alcohol. light roast. bit of coffee. biscuit malt. bit of floral hops.

taste is great. loads of chocolate, with noticeable milk, dark, and bittersweet chocolates. med-low bitterness. light roast. coffee. biscuit malt. even with low roast, there's a bit of ashy character to it, mostly when cold.

mouthfeel is good. moderate well integrated carbonation. medium bodied. light astringency, a touch higher than i expected.

drinkability is good. well balanced. when cold i found the chocolate to be somewhat muted, with the more ashy and astringent character coming through. as it warms a little more sweetness shows and the ashyness mellows.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Wow, this is one dark beer - pitch black with a sturdy and creamy tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing once gone. The smell is dominated by (what else) chocolate, but it is a sweet, milk chocolate smell with hints of vanilla. This smells better than some chocolate baked goods I've smelled. The taste follows suit - big dark chocolate flavor with a nice roasted oat finish, absolutely delicious. There is a some carbonation here, which I think could be toned down a little bit. This beer could use a bit more creaminess. I returned from Easter brunch a poured this for dessert & boy, I wish I had a couple more. This is one helluva beer - excellent stuff. Highest recommendation.

2.44/5  rDev -41.2%

I, as well as a handfull of reviewers out of hundreds, found dissapointment in this beer.

The body is black with a dark mahogany tint when held by a light. The head is brown, but it looks thin like when pouring and MGD. Head fades quickly as suspected.

I found the chocolate smell to be overpowering. Right away you know what you're getting into with this beer. It is a smell of bitter chocolate, and not chocolate malts either. We're talking just ground from the cocoa bean chocolate, not sweet. I later read the ingredients on the bottle, which is a nice touch I must say, but I was dissapointed in "chocolate flavoring". Flavoring? So, really they mean a chocolate flavored syrup, am I right? I do hope that there is no high fructose corn syrup in this beer.

Once again I find the chocolate taste completely overpowering. I don't taste any coffee, toffee, or burnt nodes of flavor...just chocolate flavoring.
I do believe I bought this beer to taste, well, beer instead of a masking chocolate taste. It finishes with an oat bitterness that is better than the beer when in mid-swig.

Oats and barley help out in this department. Whether the oats are used as an adjunct to improve the mouthfeel or it's actually part of the intended flavor, I do not know. What I do know is that for a stout it was pretty average with the oats and co. helping to just make the deadline.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the chocolate taste is just too bitter and overbearing. I'm suspicious of the "flavoring", but happy that they printed it so I could think about it in the first place. Points for honesty. I won't have another of these for a very long time if I can help it. I would much rather have a Young's Double Choc. Stout (in the bottle, not can). They probably use flavoring, too, but I feel it is done much better.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Wow!

Poured from a 22oz bomber about 99% completely black. The head is a full thick brown that stays pretty well and leaves good webbing.

Smells intensely like a fine dark chocolate bar.

The taste is exactly what you expect it to be - chocolaty, very, very chocolaty! Hints of coffee come out as well and possibly some fruit? (raspberry's???) It is very creamy and smooth. This is exactly what i wanted in a beer.

Easily in my top 3 favorite beers of all time. Highly recommended to anyone.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wifes new favorite beer. Should call it "the sure thing."
Poured into tall pils glass.
Black as night with thick brown head.
Smell is of dark chocolate truffles with hint of cocoa and hops.
Taste is liquid chocolate cake with slight hint of hops.
M/D - goes down easy, but not sure I could drink it all night, it goes well with a dessert of chocolate cake or something with cinnamon.
Enjoy.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass, this beer is black as night. The inch-tall head rises a dark tan and sticks around for ages.

S: Big surprise, this chocolate stout smells like chocolate. A part milk chocolate and a part baking chocolate.

T: Phenomenal. Milk and dark chocolates, some roasted malt bitterness, and a even a little hop zing for balance.

M: Like drinking velvet, in a good way. Smooth, full-bodied, and luxurious.

D: Can you really eat too much chocolate? nah..

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

22 oz bottle into a mug. Pours beautiful. Insanely huge light brown head that takes about an hour and a half to disappear (I didn't wait). Frothy and billowy, great looking. Color is dead black, with just a hint of brown along the seams of the glass. Basically the best looking beer I've ever seen. Nose is almost all the way coffee, some alcohol hints, and a good amount of sweet chocolately mocha. Taste is intense, to say the least. Lots of roasted malt and coffee bitterness up front. Nice citrus comes in too, but not too much. Them comes the sweeter chocolate on the tip of the tongue. Ends with a nice mix of hoppy bitterness and malty sweet; doesn't overwhelm with bitterness like the Shakespeare. Feel is creamy and full-bodied, although with solid carbonation for such a heavy stout.

4.69/5  rDev +13%

Pours pitch black with a creamy tan head.

Smell: holy chocolate! Smells like a chocolatier's shop with a hint of coffee.

The first taste to hit is a bit of roasted malt, but is immediately followed the the rich and creamy chocolate flavor mixed with a touch of mocha. The mix of these two principle flavors is what makes this truly spectacular. Very well-balanced.

This brew goes down very smooth and creamy. It reminds me of nice creamy Swiss/Italian chocolate. I would say it is a medium-full body...not too full, but still has a lot to it.

I could drink this one until I am stuffed. An excellent brew. This is the best stout that I have had to date without a doubt.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

22 oz bomber poured into a Rogue (So You Want A Revolution?) pint glass.

A: A deep black with a thick light tan head. There is some dark reddish-copper colors at the junction of the beer and the head.

S: Dark Chocolate (obviously), coffee and toffee.

T: The hops hit the taste-buds first, not overpowering but right on and rather balanced. They are only slightly bitter but balance out nicely with the malts and chocolate. Next is the taste of slightly bitter coffee. The aftertaste is that of rich dark, creamy chocolate. It is not overpowering but rather subtle. Not like drinking a chocolate milkshake but more like eating a very dark and bitter chocolate truffle.

M: Chewy with the hops lightly felt on the tongue.

D: This is a very drinkable beer for such a big body. With the first pint it feels and tastes like drinking a slightly bitter coffee. The second pint, as it warms, the smell and taste shift more to the chocolate side of this brew. It's probably not something I will be drinking once a week but it makes for a very good desert beer on it's own or served with desert. A very interesting and intriguing beer. It grew on my as I drank it and at the end I liked it quite a bit.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales