Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a thick black into my pint glass, showing a two finger toffee colored head. Dissapates slowly and lacing sheats the sides of the glass.

First smell of this beer is a big dissapointment for me. Smell like artificial chocolate, sweet and fake. Like taking a big whiff of a hershey's chocolate sauce knock off. Definitely chocolately, but fake, artificial, and cheap.

Luckily, the flavor completely makes up for the aroma. Upon sipping this beers you are treated to a nice roasted flavor, accompanied by a bold bitter chocolate flavor. I personally love dark chocolate (won't touch the milk stuff), and this beer does not dissapoint me there. After smelling it, I thought this would be undrinkable. However, the flavor is fantastic, dark, bitter, chocolate. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, most likely due to the oats used in brewing it.

Drinkability also ranks high, due to low alcohol and smooth, well blended flavors. If only the aroma had more closely resembled the flavor, this would have been a considerably better beer.

phisig137, Feb 28, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

22 oz. bottle pours black with a very thick, fluffy, brown head.

Aroma is of sweet chocolate roasty, toasty malt.

Taste is very chocolatey, malty, caramel, toffee, and slight licorice taste.

Mouthfeel is robust, full bodied and carbonated.

Very sweet, chocolatey and drinkable.

BillyB, Feb 26, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A pint on tap from the Flying Saucer, Columbia, SC.

A - dark, dark tawny brown. Not quite opaque around the edges, but can't see through the middle. Very little if any head to speak of.

S - strong aroma of dark, bitter chocolate. Slight earthy, spicy, grassy hop aromas, but predominant smell is chocolate, roasted barley.

T - amazing flavor of deep, dark, bitter chocolate. Not sweet, but bitter chcolate flavor. Roasted barley, chocolate, toffee, strong brewed coffee. Some earthy hop notes in there as well. Very malty, but not sweet, except a little in the aftertaste. Exceptionally unique chocolate flavor.

M - medium thick. Low carbonation. Bitterness tingles the tongue a bit.

D - extremely tasty brew, get a bomber of this and try it. The only reason I knock off points for drinkability is because I think eventually I would get tired of the chocolate flavor and the alcohol content of this beer would prohibit extended drinking sessions.

gbarron, Feb 24, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 650 oz bomber into two small beer glasses (I had to share the bottle!) One of the most chocolate-LOOKING of the chocolatey beers. Small dark-mocha head that fades fast. Pitch black motor-oil like colour.

Smells like... duh... chocolate. Milk chocolate, or chocolate milk, to be precise. A bit of hop kick in there, surprisingly, but mainly malty. Reminds me primarily of fresh pastries or croissants, like the pain du chocolat I had for breakfast this morning. Mmm.

Tastes great, although you can tell the chocolate is an additive. I think I like the beers that come by the chocolate flavours naturally better. Milky notes. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin for the style and appearance, and the only moderately disappointing aspect of this brew. Slightly sour aftertaste.

An interesting idea with this beer is to have it with some very bitter chocolate. I had it with a couple of pieces of 85% cocoa Lindt, and it was fantastic (if you're a fan of the bitter, which I am).

crwills, Feb 24, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Impenetrable black with a massive creamed-coffee froth, smooth and undulating. Sweet cocoa aromas predominate -- but subtly -- over a roasted dark malt presence. There is an underlying and unexpected bitterness -- perceived most strongly in the finish and aftertaste -- that pervades the roasted coffee malt flavors and chocolate sweetness. I want to say this peculiar bitterness comes from the cocoa, but subsequent burps yield a distinct Cascade flavor. Amazing complexity of tastes acheived here. Silky smooth mouthfeel; medium to full body. Not something I'd go for very frequently, mainly because of the special chocolate flavor that is the main event of this beer, but nevertheless, an formidable and worthy accomplishment by the geniuses at Rogue.

orfeu, Feb 22, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Thick, dark, almost-black brown with a soapy bronze head that sneaks up on you as you pour. Good retention. Quite a strong-looking stout.

Smell: Swiss chocolate truffles, rum... I can tell this will be quite an aphrodisiac. Prunes/raisins also present, and a sweet, caramel-like burnt sugar aroma. The distinct citric-floral scent of Cascade hops is also detectable.

Taste: Quite bitter, and exquisitely chocolatey, especially in the finish. Hops keep the otherwise weighty beer buoyant. An excellent, thick, earthy dessert stout, almost venturing into RIS territory.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy, and slightly grainy from the oats. Slightly syrupy on the back of the tongue and palate.

Drinkability: Truffly goodness make this a great special-occasion beer. Pair it with a raspberry torte and you're all set!

soulgrowl, Feb 21, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a jet black color with a minimal, finely textured tan head. Aroma of chocolate cocoa with a light hoppiness. Very thick and creamy looking which follows onto the palate as well. Lush body coats the tongue with a pleasant, not overbearing chocolate flavor. Slight hints of toasted malt lend a smoky, burnt overtone to the flavor. Not overly sweet with a fairly dry finish. A very nice brew to relax and sip. I'd definitely buy this one again.

LarryV, Feb 21, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

My first from Rogue, which is surprizing because i have a Rogue pint glass and my wife's been to the brewery. picked it out to drink with a buddy from out of town. color is dark, brown to black. smells like bitter cooking chocolate with some roastiness. not bad. massive chocolate taste, but weird. kind of like a mocha chocolate necco wafer flavor. thick, full beer. fairly good drinkability. a bit heavy and the weird chocolate flavor is slightly offputting.

...possibly a bad choice for my first Rogue but i'll still go for another at some point. i hear dead guy is great.

aforbes10, Feb 20, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Pours nice and thick with a creamy tan to brown head 1" to 1 1-2" thick. Bubbles in head are midsize and dissipate within a few minutes. Very little lace.

Smells: Roasted malts and chocolate and more chocolate. Thats all I have to say about that.

Taste: Chocolate is very nice. Not too bitter and not too sweet. I think this is very well balanced. A little hint of hops at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a semi-sweet chocolate taste that coats the tongue and fades to a pleasant bitterness.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this stout. I do not have access to many chocolate stouts in my area but I think this Rogue is great. I will definately buy this one again and again and again. I will probably enjoy this after a meal since I like sweets after I eat. I can kill two birds with one stone. An after dinner beer and sweet desert.

MaGno, Feb 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I've had this beer quite a few times, yet never reviewed it despite slamming the label design in the forum, so with a bottle in my hand...here goes....

Pours out very well. 2 finger head and lacing to match. Right away you're blown away by the chocolate. One whiff, and you get the feeling you're about to drink a candy bar.
The taste is much of same. Very chocolatey throughout. Some evidence of burnt malt and mild coffee undertones. A hint of dark fruit sweetness, again buried by the chocolate.
The finish is very smooth as well. Coats the tongue for a moment, and then fades. High drinkability. Could go well before or after dinner. Would also suggest adhering to the serving temp recommendations. I've had them a bit colder and warmer, and this beer (like many) brings out the goodness when served a bit on the warm side.
Definitely recommended, bad artwork aside.

supernaut, Feb 19, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

appearance - very dark, as expected, looks like liquid chocolate.

smell - i dont usually bother with this category but this is the best smelling beer ive had. smells almost like hot chocolate

taste - very solid. similar to the shakespeare stout except less hop presence and with prominent chocolate flavors. very deep. slight hint of coffee, but this one truely lives up to its name and is an extremely good example of a chocolate stout.

drinkability - good but after a while the sweet flavors get to be too much. would be great on tap in a single serving, or splitting the 220z with a friend. if u like chocolate stouts this is a must. everyone should try this one at least once.

Optimat0r, Feb 19, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Purchased from Frugal MacDougal, Nashville, TN.

I reviewed this once before on-tap, from memory, upon first trying it. This is a second review, taken with much more beer knowledge and with peace and quiet at home with a bottle. My opinion has changed slightly, and I taste things now that I didn't taste before, but largely I think I'm about even with myself.

A: Dark body, thick foamy tan head. Head seems to float on top of the beer like a chocolate malted, and leaves significant lacing on the glass.

S: Strong on hop presence, with dry roasty malt underneath, and an enveloping layer of chocolate. (This is the largest difference between my two reviews -- on-tap all I got on the nose was, "smells like the best mocha latte you've ever had", but experience has given me greater olfactory tools.)

T: Strong hop presence in flavor, nice velvety bittersweet cholcate afterwards. Lightly bitter and slightly astringent aftertaste.

M: Thick mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, about right for a stout.

D: Could down several of these -- a bomber goes down smooth.

Overall, I love this beer and buy it every chance I get. Is it better on-tap or from the bottle? Hmm, gonna need some more experimentation to find out.

danielharper, Feb 18, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap in a pint glass

A: Dark Brown black with a creamy coffee colored 2 finger head with great retention.

S: Deep chocolate and coffee malt. A bit of hop is noticeable as well in the background.

T: Low on the hop and high on bittersweet chocolate! Also the coffee taste is much more evident on tap than in the bottle, which surprised me. DO not expect a sweet chocolate with this! In fact, the first time I had this we ate 70% cocoa chocolates along with it and MAN did it really bring that flavor out in the beer… simply amazing!

M: Chewy with low carbonation, but it isn’t too too heavy.

D: A personal favorite I could drink this every day if it wouldn’t make me gain 5 billion pounds!

Cheers to Rogue! This is a fabulous beer on-tap and out of the bottle... I have had both, but this review is for the tap. I'll get around to writing a bottle review when I drink it next time ;) I can’t wait to try a black and tan made with Rogue Choc Stout and Rogue Juniper Pale Ale. I think it would be fab!

ashleyshalyn, Feb 16, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

pitch brown with an inch of brownish head. head falls into lumps leaving rings of lacing. nice-looking beer.

aroma is chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate. a whiff of coffee as well. the hops push through with a touch of citrus that appears more as the beer warms. reminds me of those chocolate-covered candied oranges.

surprisingly bitter taste. malty sweet followed with a hoppy aftertaste of pine and citrus. chocolate in the taste is more bitter than sugary. a touch more sweetness in the flavor would make this one more balanced. the appearance and the aroma are top-notch, though.

Prufrock, Feb 16, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

I had a pint of this while visiting Kclingers. THe beer comes in a pint glas and there is a thin creamy tan head floating on the surface. The color of the beer is drak brown with no lite passing through when held up. The aroma is rich and chocolatey, no surprise there. The chocolate is actually fairly sweet like cocoa powder of a hershey bar. First sip reveals a fairly thick body and very mild carbonation. Nice and smooth beer. Then the flavor, things go down a little here IMO. The beer is very sweet chocolate flavored like eating a candy bar over and over. By about mid pint it gets to be very cloying and not very enjoyable. Maybe with some fruit or vanilla ice cream but with a dinner it is just too much sweet chocolate. Of course if you really dig that this is for you. I am turned off by the overdose of chocolate and wish it was some more roasted notes or coffee to balance the sweetness.

sulldaddy, Feb 15, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Dark opague brownish black brew with a very nice tan head that sticks around moderately well and leaves lots of coffee colored lace.

The aroma is dark cocoa, dark roast coffee and roasted malt with some hints of citrus hops.

The taste is the same, rich roasted malt, dark chocolate and espresso. Starts mildly sweet but is immediately overcome by the bite of dark roasted malt and dark chocolate. Finishes somewhat dry with hints of grapefruit or pine.

Very smooth and drinkable. A very nice cool weather beer, went well with a hearty beef stew and very nice after dinner. Very good stuff.

whynot44, Feb 15, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bomber bottle with a nice silk screen label that has a picture of fellow Roguester Sebbie Buhler. I'm not sure who she is, but this beer is dedicated to her. She's wearing a bright red jacket, a mug of this beer in her left and holding some chocolate in her right. It had the usual Rogue information and no date on the side. Rogue says this beer goes well with beef and dessert and probably with their Chocolate Stout Cheese.

Appearance: When poured into my Samuel Smith pint glass, the beer was a very dark brown/black color with a head of tan colored foam that was about 1in in height. It also left plenty of tan colored lace and rigns around my pint glass. Very Nice indeed!

Smell: It had a pleasant aroma of dark chocolate (of course), roasted coffee beans, dark roasted malt, and plenty of hops. In fact thats what it smelled like (hoppy) when I first popped the cap. I got the roasted smell when I poured it.

Taste: It tasted exactly like it smelled. There was plenty of bitter dark chocolate up front, roasted malt and roasted coffee beans in the middle, and at the end, a slight hoppy aftertaste. Excellent taste!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and some light carbonation. That bitter hoppy chocolate aftertaste in the back of your mouth doesn't seem to want to leave just yet.

Drinkability: This is one beer that I wouldn't mind to have again. Easy to drink and hands down one of the best brews made by Rogue. If you like chocolate beer, then you'll love this one.

My 100th Beer Review!

AltBock, Feb 13, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

No disappointments from this beer. It defiantly lives up to its name. The pour looked great. Dark and rich with the head being a dark brown. The smell was great. It was like you had just taken a chocolate cake out of the oven. The chocolate was there but you could still get a whiff of the good stout flavor. It was very smooth, good flavor. Kind of reminds me of chocolate milk.

RoBotGod, Feb 11, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have waited so long to try this. The bottle has a woman holding a mug of the brew and a big smile on her face. A red bandana adorns her neck and she smiles at me as she knows I am getting ready to enjoy it. The bottle boasts of being made with imported chocolate. The bottle also claims it is made with Pacman Yeast…I never was never any good at PacMan….but Ms. PacMan is another story. I know, shut up and review it for crying out loud.

650ml bottle into a pint glass, but not all at once, mind you.

A—dark brown and thick, 2 inch cocoa colored thick mushroom like head, which slowly fades into a thin dusting on the top. A massive thick lacing remains on the glass, like a cocoa cloud.

S—all I can smell is gourmet dark chocolate, very sweet and inviting. I am trying to smell other scents, but can’t.

T—strong bittersweet chocolate taste, not near as sweet as the smell. The bottle says “an earthy flavor of oats and hops that gives way to a rich chocolate truffle finish”…Yes, indeed (although I am not really tasting the oats). This is wonderful!

M—thick and chewy, mild carbonation.

D—Absolutely wonderful. The bittersweet chocolate flavors make this one great. Any more sweetness would ruin it. Outstanding! Couldn’t drink more than this bottle, though. It is incredibly thick. A great dessert brew!

hanco005, Feb 10, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours dark dark dark. Nice head. On the nose one can tell this isn't a chocolate stout in the realm of youngs, this one plays for keeps. Thick and chocolatey, the beer is brewed, I believe, not only with chocolate malts but also with real chocolate. The result is a rich, smooth, sweet masterpiece.

Beers like this keep Rogue at the top of the list of American breweries.

EmoBeerGuy, Feb 10, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Pours black with brown highlights and a sizeable cappuccino head, which while it's initially rather pillowly, doesn't last for very long.

Smell: I haven't had one of these in awhile, but friends, I can tell you quite categorically... it smelled exactly as I remembered.

Largely black roasted malts blended with toasted caramel, a rich earthiness, and just the merest amount of hops.

Taste: Sweeping chocolate taste (as in a baker's chocolate, not the overly sweet chocolate you'd get at Easter as a kid), with a dash of espresso and a hint of almond. The finish is slightly bitter and plentiful, reminiscent of a fresh espresso or a fine cocoa powder.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin; a bit lighter than I would prefer. Thankfully, it's not overly fizzy, keeping it creamier on the tongue.

Drinkability: Phenomenally well-balanced, and very drinkable. A good stout is tough to beat, that's for sure.

Still though, you put a gun to my head and say "name your #1"? I dunno. Gotta go, like, double stout. Or strong ale. Or a nice lambic. Or a good juicy IPA.

Or a barleywine!

Yes, maybe it's that.

Maybe it's a barleywine.

Still though, this is a darned good stout!

ChainGangGuy, Feb 09, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours black and thick as crude oil with a foamy walnut head. No light gets through this pour. Nose is thickly malted, winey in character and slightly sweet with rich chocolate. Nice lacing.

Taste is rich, bold, full-bodied and bitter. Most of the chocolate flavors are either in the aroma or very high on the palate, since the taste is roasty, dry and malty as a quality stout should be. A bit nutty, a little bit of espresso, nutmeg, oats, some Imperial flavors as well, a mild hop bite. This ain't the oversweet Hershey's but some kind of fine silky Eurochocolate instead -- a very good choice.

Low carbonation, pleasant dark chocolate aftertaste. A wonderful pairing of the stout and the chocolate, with neither overpowering the other. One of the few beers here I feel is truly underrated.

assurbanipaul, Feb 09, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

22oz. bomber

Pours a jet black color with a dark chocolate head that fades. Spotty lacing around the glass.

Smells like hot chocloate....Hot chocolate made from dark chocolate....Mmmm....

Taste is amazing. A rich dark chocloate taste unlike any chocolate stout I've ever tasted. It's a bit on the bitter side, and there are hints of malt - but it's all about the chocolate!

Nice carbonation, boisterous body.

Insanely easy to drink, has been a favorite for many years. I'm glad I finally found a place to get it regularly.

MaltyGoodness, Feb 07, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one from a 22oz bottle with no freshness date to speak of. Pours the blackest brew color I have witnessed so far. There is a very nice creamy brown head about a finger high that leaves wonderful sheets of Belgian lace on the glass sides.

The aroma is as expected from the name, very chocolatey, much like a candy bar. It is accompanied by a sweet caramel and buttery aroma.

The taste can only be described one way, chocolate followed by a mild and nicely added bitterness that is a combination of malts and hops. There is a slight hint of biscuit and bread in there as well. Overall, a very pleasant beer to drink and very well made.

abcsofbeer, Feb 05, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured an opaque black with a thin brown head from a 22oz bomber, that fell quickly to light foamy off white lacing. Aroma is rich of many types of chocolate, mainly a bittersweet/bakers chocolate and some roasted malt also present. Smells very good, nice blend of sweet and bitter chocolate. Taste is powerful chocolate and malt, hints of hazelnut and berries, doesn't deliver as well as the aroma implies, but still very good. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, moderate to heavy carbonation, maybe a little too carbonated. Drinkability good, pretty rich tasting brew, would be an excellent dessert pairing for complementing something sweet with the faint chocolate bitter aftertaste from this impressive beer. Would purchase again, my wife has some interest in this beer as well.

danielocean03, Feb 05, 2006