Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter designed with this style in mind.

Pours a perfect black, totally opaque; thick but not too dense. Seriously, holding this thing up to a light shows that absolutely nothing makes it through this. Very small light brown head that quickly recedes.

The nose is chocolate, full on. Very sweet, with slight maltiness. The smell is almost of something baked, like a very nice chocolate cake.

The taste fully lives up to the aroma: this is a chocolate beer, for chocolate lovers. The taste upfront is all semisweet chocolate, merging into a more bitter roasty-chocolate flavor, finally fading into a light hoppy bitterness at the end.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, with a carbonation level that's just about right. The drinkability is high, though obviously this is more a sipping beer than anything else.

Overall, this is a very good chocolate stout, with stronger emphasis on the chocolate than other versions (such as Brooklyn's or Young's). Another tasty brew from Rogue.

auntfloyd, Sep 17, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a deep black that doesn't let any light through, with a two finger dark tan head that fades slowly to a thick cap, leaving behind a very nice webbing of lace.

Smell; dominant chocolate aroma up front, with some roasted malts intermingled with some hints of coffee.

Taste; as with the smell the chocolate is the dominant flavor, which isn't surprising since this is a chocolate stout. A touch of coffee bitterness is oresent, as well as a little bit of a smokey quality. this isn't to complex in the flaovr department, but it is still very good. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, and fits the flavor profile almost prefectly. The only thing that limits the drinkability is the heaviness of the beer.

RedHaze, Sep 16, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this last night at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let it warm to around 50º F and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep black with ruby tints at the edges. It's topped by a thick, fluffy, brown head that thins to a persistent quarter-inch layer, that leaves patchy lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is very chocolatey. The first whiff is a very nice sweet chocolate. Swirling the beer brings out some nice tart fruity aromas. There are also hints of dark roast under the strong chocolate aroma. The smell is great, but makes me fear that the beer will be too heavy on the sweet chocolate flavors.

Taste: My first impressions are strong roasty flavors throughout, with some sweet chocolate hints. I first notice some mingling sweetness and roasty flavors that move into tart fruitiness. The finish is a nice mix of sweet chocolate and roasted and hop bitterness. Unlike the aroma the roasty flavors are strong and not overwhelmed by the chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, high carbonation, lightly silky.

Drinkability: The chocolate isn't overpowering, and the roasty flavors provide a good balance.

Overall: I was afraid this beer would be too sweet, with very dominant chocolate flavors, but the roasted bitterness is high with the sweet chocolate providing a nice balance.

EPICAC, Sep 13, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Pours black in color, some carbonation, nice creamy tan head that lasts a long time, nice lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts and chocolate.

T - The taste is sweet/bitter/malty, nice chocolate flavor.

M - Medium body.

D - Drinkable. Another great brew from Rogue, highly recommend.

Wasatch, Sep 12, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark velvety black beer with a dark tan, barely red in it, head. Pours out thick. Smells hoppy. More sweet and mild than a hop bomb. Nothing bad, just not too remarkable. The aftertaste is a lot like semisweet or bitter chocolate morsels. Up front it is a lot fruitier and hoppy. It would be nicer if the chocolate could come out more at the front. Thick and like a stout should be. I could drink this fine, and it's not a bad beer. Maybe it's just how I feel right now, but I would prefer a lot of beers to this one.

cracgor, Sep 11, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Chocolate Stout pours pitch black. The big dark brown head is thick, chunky, and holds form for a couple of minutes. Not much lace remains on the glass, but that's probably more of a glassware problem than a negative of the beer.
In the first whiff, I'm surprised that the hops dominate. After a few minutes the wonderful chocolate characteristics pop out. The aroma is full of dark chocolate, sweet chocolate syrup, fresh baked brownies, roasted malts, and hops. In the past, I remember it having more of a coffee characteristic. This time I can't find any coffee, and that's the only thing I think would make the aroma any better.
Tastes much like it smells. Bottom line, this stuff tastes awesome. Rich, full-flavored, and balanced. Real chocolate taste; no artificial chocolate syrup flavor. With all the chocolate flavors in the forefront, it's easy to forget that it's wonderfully hopped.
Smooth and creamy without being syrupy.
Needless to say, I find it highly drinkable.

When I first had Rogue Chocolate Stout, it made me realize there's beer out there to be explored.

wolffman17, Sep 10, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I work at Total Wine, Beer, Spirits and More in Fort Myers. Our beer section is considered "the home spot." When I started there is February of this year I noticed a full case (24 loose bottles) were on a shelf under the title "Great Brews." I figured we had just gotten it in. Months and months went past and not a single bottle was sold but still I thought nothing of it. Finally in late August I decided to make a move and buy the first bottle off the shelf. It turned out to be an outstanding, rich chocolate stout. I first took a few sips directly from the bottle and took in the aroma. I then poured the rest into a glass and noted any taste or smell change once it got a chance to breath. It had a slightly flat taste, probably from sitting on the shelf for so long. It was a dark cocao brown. Strong bittersweet chocolate flavor filled my mouth which reminded me of biting into a Hershey bar. I'd have it for dessert anytime.

Portertime, Sep 10, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This is one of the darkest, thickest stouts I’ve had to date. This pours to an opaque, used-motor oil black, with a thick, dark tan head. The real secret to enjoying htis beer, as with many stouts, is to let it warm some. In my anticipation to try, I first smelled and tasted it right out of the refrigerator...nothing special. I then waited 20 minutes, and what a difference. Great aroma of chocolate and toffee, smelled like fresh made Turtle candy. Taste was more of the malty chocolate, but finely balanced by enough hops to not be too sweet. From the looks and smell of this thick bodied beer, I was worried about a syrupy sweet, but instead was long, smooth and just right. A very good beer.

kimcgolf, Sep 10, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bear with me, it's been a while...

Got tonight in a 22oz bomber for $4.99

As much as I've had and enjoyed this beer it's amazing I didn't review it before when I reviewed more often, but anyway...

The pour was an extremely dark brown with a nice brown head. And when I'm drinking something called 'chocolate stout', that's exactly what I want to see. The only flaw is that it could have lasted longer.

The smell and taste are both of a good oatmeal stout infused excellently by dark chocolate. The chocolate comes first but by the end it reminds you it's a stout.

The mouthfeel didn't do as much for me. It rolls around good but a bit rough for my taste at the end. Still not bad at all.

I am reviewing this about 3/4 of the way through this bomber. I've been working on it for around an hour just enjoying it. The (heavenly) smell and flavor have maintained throughout. You're only going to want one of these, but you'll want all of it. Not sure about dessert but this is a great nightcap and I'll happily come back to it.

DPMomutant, Sep 09, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep onyx with a tan head that is about an inch thick and drops kind of quickly to a few thin swerrels.
the aroma is intense, roasty, chocolate, coffee. it jumps out at you.
the flavor is rich, malty, chocolateness, swimming with roasted barley and some hop spice. little sweet, but a damn great beer.

plaztikjezuz, Sep 09, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

All I have to say is wow! This stuff is as good as everyone says! Pours a deep brown almost black. Thick tan heads that sticks around for a little while. When smelling it fresh out of the bottle you definately smell the malt and subtle hints of dark chocolate. The taste it just wonderful. To me very balanced. The malt is the first thing I notice, just a small hint of alcohol then the subtle chocolate flavor. The chocolate aftertaste is nice and not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is not nearly as heavy as you would expect it to be by looking at it. Very good drinkability but not something that you pound 4 of unless your a gorilla or something. I usually take a while to drink my stout but as I got to the bottom of the bottle and it warmed a little the alcohol taste kind of started to take over and there was less of a chocolate taste at that point. But I pretty much enjoyed the whole bottle so no real big complaints. I think it would go great with a nice chocolate desert or it can be desert just by itself! I highly recommend this one if your a fan of stouts!

TheBeerWolf, Sep 08, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber

A-Thick brown head and very dark,almost black body.1 1/2 head and real thick and fluffy.I cant see throught the beer at all.The head stays with the beer for a while.

S-Chocolate smell and malts.

T-Very strong,chocolate taste and roasted nuts.

M-Very easy tasting and easy going down.Not as thick as it looks,nice aftertaste.I think its carbony.

D-Im glad I bought it.It taste real good.I could have gone for some more.I reccomend to beer lovers.I was a bit skeptical about this,since im not a big fan over stouts but this one is real good.Another great beer from the Rogue guys!

***UPDATE***05-02-07

I decided to try this beer again when my palate has gotten more accustemed to taste's of good beer.Poured into a tulip glass.

A-BIG thick brown head and a nice very dark blackish/brown body.Some nice lacing is left on the glass as the head goes down.

S-I smell some sweet chocolate.Some fruityness is there,hops im assuming.

M-Mouthful is a bit thick and the carbonation is a little more then I like to a stout beer but not enough to make you cry.

D-Once again,Good stuff.I enjoyed this the first time I had it and the 2nd time is no exception.If I remember correctly,the choclate has tamed down a bit since I last had it.I have heard people aging this.I may have to jump on the band wagon and try it myselfI would reccomend this to anyone who wants a great beer and a great chocolate stout.

T-Some sweet chocolate taste then leads to some bittering.

MmmIPA, Sep 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Well i was a little worried this was going to just taste like sam adams choclate boch but let me tell ya the taste was completely different---in a good way. Made from real chocolate you can really taste it. Almost a hot chocolate taste and mouthfeel, except it was cold and and alcohol, can you say mmm mmm good!!!

TrickKnee, Sep 03, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

among my favorites....i have never been let down by rogue...beautiful dark heavy stout...notes of chocolate(obviously) and coffee...this a delightful stout for any occasion...delicious by bottle or on tap

if you're a fan of young's double chocolate this is a must have

Bouncingsoul1682, Sep 02, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

First off.. the aroma of this beer is heavenly. Dark chocolate with macadamia nuts and pieces of orange zest come to mind. My friend who doesnt really dig beer at all loved the smell of this one. The appearance was very nice with fluffy head and hardly any lacing. The taste was great.. chocolate as expected with a little bitterness. This beer is basically a dessert in a bottle. Not sure if I'd drink this all night, but after a three course meal this would be perfect.

diamondc, Sep 02, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours opaque black with a medium/small tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells strongly just like milk chocolate with a bit of roasted malt - very unique and nice. Roasted malt flavor with a lot of chocolate, obvious and pleasant but not overpowering. Some hops are noticable in the finish and the beer finishes with a lingering roasted malt bitterness. Surprisingly this is pretty balanced. Mouthfeel is excellent- thick and creamy. Delicious but the heaviness and chocolate flavor do take a bit away from the drinkability of this brew. Awesome overall.

burnstar, Aug 30, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at the Rogue Alehouse in San Fran.

The beer was a deep black with a minimal brown head that diminished into a brown lace that lasted through the pint.

The aroma of this beer is truly unique, expecially as it warms. I've had chocolate stouts before, but never with such a wonderful "Hershey" aroma, just like when you unwrap a fresh bar readying your s'mores. There are some roasty notes in the background and hints of Pacific NW hops.

The flavor of this beer is very roasty with some hints of ash. There isn't much sweet maltiness to speak of. The chocolate comes through very nicely without being overpowering. The hops are there in a good amount, but aren't too citrusy or piney, just nicely floral. The flavors are very complimentary - like a dark cup of coffee with a rich chocolate desert. Mmmm...

The mouthfeel is medium, but I wouldn't mind a little more weight here. Also, the addition of some wheat malt and/or Carapils might help add a little creaminess that this beer lacks.

Certainly the best chocolate stout I've had. Cheers!

SacoDeToro, Aug 30, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +12%

appearance: pour a uber black w/ a creamy brown 1 inch head.

smell: robust scent of chocolate w/ a hint of molasses.

taste: begins slightly sweet and has a bitter sweet chocolate aftertaste.

mouthfeel: medium to full body, watery yet slightly oily around the lips. Nice lively carbonation feel.

drinkability: smooth w/ a robust flavor of choclate.

Overall, I love this beer from start to finish. The only bad thing was when the beer was gone.

GimpyCane, Aug 28, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark chocolate, to dark brown with moderate carbonation. The head is a fantastic looking cocoa colored, 2 finger thick, big and puffy, layered mass of foam with a rocky crust. It really is quite a work of art.

The smell is fragrant, lots of sweet chocolate and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is where I lost it. It is big chocolate, quite smooth with a bitter after taste on the back of the tongue. Bit I just did not like it all that much. Like the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. Maybe it is just too sweet when you add chocolate to beer. Come to think of it I do believe I have had some beers that tasted chocolaty that did not have chocolate in them. They should try to do that, But a bet it is real hard.

The mouthfeel is fine, smooth creamy, maybe a bit too small on the carbonation. This beet has plenty of bitter taste just no bitter bite.

Drinkability is just not up to standard. Next time pour me something else. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Aug 24, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a dark black color that I've only seen in imperial stouts before. In fact, this might be even darker and more opaque than 99% of those, too. Pours easily and has a medium to average size brown head.
Smell is well...chocolate. Not the "kind of chocolate" flavor most dark beers have, but more of a baker's chocolate or of a nice european candy bar. I'd call it REAL chocolate, which I guess it contains.
Taste is very smooth and silky. It starts off tasting a little like an irish dry stout, but then the chocolate kicks in. Again, like the smell, this isn't a "chocolate-like" flavor but very much the real deal. At the same time, it's a darker chocolate flavor, which I really enjoy.
Mouthfeel's perfect. Thin enough to drink regardless of season, but still maintains a lot of flavor that would wash away if it were too thin.
I could drink several of these, although because of the flavor, it seems like some of the depth decreases a bit as you drink more. I found that chocolate overpowering the other flavors a little after about 1/2 the bottle.
Still - this is a GREAT beer. By far the best chocolate brew I've had, and the price is cheaper than most of the others, too.

Domingo, Aug 23, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Split four ways, a big bottle of this disappeared pretty quickly.

Appearance: One of the darkest beers I've seen, absolutely opaque. Off-white head, good lacing.

Smell: Smells like the cocoa powder used in baking. Lots and lots of chocolate aroma, from beginning to end. Hard to pick out anything else, though.

Taste: Chocolatey and malty. As if Ovaltine had been stirred into the glass. The label cites "natural chocolate flavoring," I'm curious exactly what they used. Bitterness shows up at the swallow, where it finishes dry. Surprisingly not a "sweet" beer, despite all the chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is tame, as it should be for the style. Creamy mouthfeel, with medium body.

Drinkability: This would be a great dessert, but it worked well as a mid-afternoon snack too. Dry finish helps drinkability a lot.

hunteraw, Aug 22, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

One of the blackest pours that I've ever seen, with a small cocoa colored head. OK retention, fancy lacings.

Big chocolate smell. Sweet malts and molasses lend to a chocolate bar wrapper aroma. Some hints of vanilla as well.

The flavor is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Bitter chocolate, cocoa and coffee balance with earthy oatmeal, slight dough flavors. There is a pronounced bitter finish but not overly flavorful. The taste somewhat more bland than I imagined. Much better at room temperature but still somewhat watered down tasting.

Moderate carbonation, what I might expect from an ale. Not creamy in the least.

I went back to the bottle to look for a freshness date but none was to be found. I have to wonder if this is either stale or light damaged. I honestly could not finish the entire bottle, as it simply was not appealing to me in the least. I'm going to try a another bottle from a different state and re-review if there is a significant difference. Otherwise, I'm very unimpressed by this beer.

Estarrio, Aug 22, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

What a decadent beer……

In a category best served as an after dinner (or breakfast beer) stout, this is a culinary homerun. I could just as easily drink this at 9:30am Sunday morning, preparing for a Seahawk game, as I could puffing a nice Partagas Habano, after a sensational dinner with friends.

True to the American stout style, we have a deep, dark chocolate hue that gives way to a spice less (no cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc) oatmeal cookie/hot chocolate nose. A fairly quickly dissipating espresso head topped off this brew, adding to it’s decadent appearance. The flavor isn’t to far from that. Mild mocha latte, sweet roasted malt, with minimal hoppy presence, lend this beer to it’s wonderful lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate oatmeal ( whatever that is). This beer was fairly heavy, as a good craft stout should be…velvety and rich, but not overbearing with it’s mouth feel, lending itself to multiple, large bottle consumption opportunities.

A great starter AND a great finisher……all qualities I love in a beer. Enjoy alone, or with a nice after dinner, light to medium bodied cigar. Goes incredibly well with NY cheesecake as well. I’m sure a truffle now and then wouldn’t hurt either………..Enjoy.

Greenfloyd, Aug 20, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rogue Chocolate Stout
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours an attractive jet black. Dark as night with a thick tan-colored head. Webbed lacings appear all over the sides of the glassware. Magnificant trails form and sustain.

Aroma packs a mean punch. Strong whiffs of roasted coffee and quality dark chocolate.

Light powdered chocolate, freshly brewed espresso and dark Hershey's syrup sweetness. Cocoa butter, french roast coffee and burnt peanut blend with a wholesome hop bitterness and bite. West coast, cascape hop presence comes through to my delight.

Mighty smooth and creamy. An incredibly drinkable and well balanced chocolate stout.

Recommended.

Hibernator, Aug 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer pours very, very dark brown with about an inch tan head. By far the primary aroma is chocolate, but I can smell some roasted malt and a bit of coffee too. At first the chocolate sweetness takes over, and then finishes bitter. There's just a slight bitter aftertaste at first, but the longer I drink the beer, the stronger the aftertaste gets. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. It's full bodied and it's pretty drinkable. I don't think it's quite as good as Young's Double Chocolate Stout, but the Rogue Chocolate Stout is still a pretty good beer.

bluejacket74, Aug 18, 2006