Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
ChrisBowers

Pours jet black with decent head retention into a nonic pint glass. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, maybe some fruits present. Taste is quite bold, not overly complex. Just a ton of chocolate creamyness, maybe a touch of coffee and a pronounced hop finish. The hop/chocolate dynamic was an interesting one, although it very much limits this beer's drinkability in my opinion. A very good beer, though not quite as complex as I was expecting. I've had it on draft before and found that to be a much better experience. I would drink this out of the bottle again though.

04-05-2005 01:52:16 | More by ChrisBowers
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A pitch black beer, that let no lights pass in. A toffee brown foamy head, and an oily body. Wee tiny bit small bubbles are present, they are so small you cant see them.

Smell of dark chocolate, hops, caramel and some fruity flavours that are shy at best.

Taste is very bitter, a great hoppish finish that beer has, some dark chocolate flavours and roasted malts are also present. It is quite different, but even me a hophead, I do thing the imbalance between the hops and the rest of the beer is not very pleasurable for long. Not a bad beer, just it doesnt go down smoothly compared to well balanced american stout.

04-02-2005 01:53:52 | More by 3Vandoo
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

This is the single most delicious stout on the planet, and I can't believe I had almost forgotten about it. I knew there was some reason why it was the darker beers that finally made me cross over to better beers for good, even though they were never really a preferred style. This beer is very exceptional, though.

The appearance is what one would expect from any stout. Black to the very core, not even showing a ruby highlight when held up to the light also accompanied by a chocolatey foam cap which quickly recedes to a ring. The smell is typical stout, but one thing is different: chocolate (obviously). It smells like a cup of hot cocoa after a long snow shoveling session. I never thought I would catch myself saying this as spring is just now underway, but if only it were winter again... just for this very moment. The taste is very chocolatey as well, and supported by a nice roasted barley flavor. Back when I used to drink this religiously, my palate was not developed enough to truly appreciate this beer. My tastebuds are now worthy of such a fine brew, and I will once again be picking this up regularly.

edit: I ended up mixing the second half of this bomber with the second half of the Rogue Chipotle Ale I just reviewed as well for a Molé Black & Tan. It was good, but I think I liked this beer better on its own, as the smokiness of the chipotle ale tends to overpower the chocolate.

03-31-2005 04:15:44 | More by neonbrown82
RedDiamond

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

The bartender asked if I was having any food. Just a beer, I said. Make it the chocolate stout. Hey, he says, beer is food, especially that beer.

He’s right. This is food. And I’m glad I gave this one a second chance because my first effort from a 22 oz. bottle was rather ho-hum. On tap, the chocolate stout is hell yeah.

Rogue’s Chocolate Stout may be thought of as a double chocolate stout; it’s made with both chocolate malt and actual chocolate. In this case Rogue opted to put the chocolate where it belongs; not as a shy condiment, but as a full-term partner boldly defining the flavor from start to finish. The nose is dry, chocolaty, and profound. Likewise, the chocolate flavor washes across the palate with expressive authority. As the more beerish elements recede, the chocolate remains to define the finish. It’s a finish worth lingering over.

Prior to drinking this beer I’d only known much tamer versions of the style such as Young’s. I’m thankful for Rogue’s success in convincing me that chocolate stout is a meritorious concept. I’d previously been skeptical that the temporal sugars of grain maltose fermented in a dark beer could successfully intermix with the tropic sensuality of tart cacao. But it works. It works exceedingly well.

This is an artistic and imaginative beer whose exotic properties are neither shy nor misplaced.

03-31-2005 01:06:43 | More by RedDiamond
MrSeth

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured with a gorgeous chocolate colored head of a modest size with lacing reluctantly hanging onto the glass. Looks very attractive.

There is chocolate in the aroma, creamy milk chocolate. Earthy undertones.

The taste is smooth chocolaty, earthy, with a few rough edges around the chewy oat flavor.

For the mouthfeel, I found this stout almost watery in consistency. It is a kind of refreshing effect.. but I'm not sure if I could get used to a stout that is this thin. But on a hot summer night this may be the right choice for a stout.

03-28-2005 05:43:53 | More by MrSeth
jlh8643

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. The brew developed a nice dark tan head that dropped down to a very fine cap after about 5 minutes. Coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malts wafted from the glass. Chocolate and roasted malts dominated the initial sip with a nice balance of hops. Swirl the aroma around in the mouth and I can still taste the chocolate, roasted malts and some oatiness too. Slightly dry on the finish. I really enjoyed this brew very much and plan on getting some more in the future.

03-25-2005 00:44:02 | More by jlh8643
beertastegood

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a beautiful pitch black with a great big dark tan head. Smells a lot sweeter than I expected, like high quality hot cocoa mix. Burnt coffee and malt aromas as well. Tastes like cocoa beer! A very prominent chocolate flavor dominates at first, then fades into a bitter coffee flavor. Finish is dry, with a slight chocolate aftertaste. This beer is a little heavy on the sweetness, but as it is a chocolate stout, that is not to be counted against it. Reminds me of a more in-your-face version of Young's Double Chocolate. As a novelty, I did enjoy this brew.

03-17-2005 03:16:19 | More by beertastegood
karst

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours black with a rich tan head to die for. Chocolate aroma dominates. Burnt bitter taste eddy in a river of chocolate that flows from chocolate mountains. Great beer to end a tasting session. It could not get much better. Not embarrassed to stand behind the high marks. Why the "low" drinkability rating? I noticed that I was getting more than my 1/4 share. Joe, Derek, and Dave thanks for a nice evening with five craft brews ending with this standout.

03-13-2005 07:35:29 | More by karst
travolta

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance: black with a tan head. Head form and retention was like a root beer float. Rocky and thick.

Nose: Milk chocolate, creamy vanilla bean

Taste: Spring greens, earthy, oats, lite sweet chocolate, smotth truffle.

Notes: This was a very good stout. I love the chocolate as being an aftertaste. This chocolate was not over powering, but right where it needs to be. I was not impressed with the price, but I was impressed with the quality and taste.

03-07-2005 06:41:43 | More by travolta
Wonka

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

1 PT. 6 FL. OZ.
650 ML.
15 PLATO 69 IBU
77 AA 135.45 L

Appearance – black body that allows light only on the farthest perimeter; massive, frothy tan head with a microbubble majority on top and moderately-sized bubbles holding court for the foundation; head stays thick for a long while; great lacing

Smell – sweet chocolate; this is what I imagine the chocolate river in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory’ smelling like

Taste – light smoke early; nice smooth, semi-sweet chocolate roasted center to close; moderately bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel – light prickly sensation early to mid; full across the span of the feel; lightly parching close

Drinkability - its the quality smoothness...its the chocolate...its the fullness...big plusses...I wish the close was a bit less bitter

As Wonka says, "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." In this case, its 2% Rogue magic.

03-03-2005 23:37:36 | More by Wonka
whartontallboy

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Deep black pour with a tight thick head of dark brown bubbles. Head retains pretty well before eventually dissipating. Smell is sweet with some dark chocolate and just a little bit of hoppiness to go along with the big roasted malts. Flavor is roasted malt with a lot of chocolate, but it's different from most chocolate stouts I've had. The addition of the real chocolate seems to give it a feel that doesn't taste like cocoa powder was poured in after the beer was brewed. It's deliciously complex and tasty and not at all cloyingly sweet. The Cascade hops are always there in each sip and tie everything together nicely. I might not want more than a bomber of this in a sitting, but it's delicious! Head and shoulders above all of the other chocolate stouts out there...if this one didn't cost so much, I think I'd drink it all the time.

02-27-2005 18:36:03 | More by whartontallboy
HogHill

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This bomber poured into my Stone Imperial Stout glass, a dark brown, with a thin tan head which left lacing around the rim. Smells of cocoa, like a Giradelli Hot Chocolate but only a Stout! Taste is similar to the aroma, lots of chocolate and dark malts, there is a good deal of hops on the finish (69 IBUs). Mouthfeel is reminiscent of other stouts, a bit creamy and not overly carbonated.
I don't know what the ABV is here, but I'll guess it's around 6%, and even though some would think a chocolate stout is pushing the novelty envelope, it is indeed very drinkable.
I enjoyed this with a bowl of vanilla ice cream on top of a banana, delish! Highly recommended, nice job Rogue.

02-20-2005 23:33:27 | More by HogHill
Gaisgeil

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very nice stout! This is probably the best brew I've had from Rogue overall.

Pours a deep and rich black with a thin dark brown head that fizzles into nothing after a bit but leaves a bit of a crown throughout. Smell is of dark chocolate, sweet and creamy smelling, malty, maybe a bit of cherry or molasses in the background. Taste follows suit but adds a bit of a coffee flavor along with a certain almost dairy flavor. A bit bitter, but in a good way I think.

Overall I'm very impressed!

Slàinte!

02-17-2005 13:55:05 | More by Gaisgeil
carln26

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark brown in color with a creamy light brown head. As you would expect with the name on the beer this has very definitive chocolate notes in the aroma. Dark chocolate covered cherries rise from the beer. Mild roast malt and a light flowery hop note accent the finish.
Wow, powerful chocolate flavor up front, followed quickly by a light hop bitterness. Maybe a little too bitter. The richness lent by the malt up front doesn’t balance as well with the hop here. Great velvety mouth feel, still very drinkable.

02-16-2005 22:42:25 | More by carln26
crookedhalo

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours an opaque deep brown color with a growing chocolate milk colored head leaving nice lacing as the head subsides. Delicate aroma of chocolate amongst black patent and chocolate malts, a touch of oat and a decent hop aroma (for a stout). Almost too chocolatey. Roasted barley scorchiness helps alleviate this stout from being too distracting with chocolate. Decent dryness in the finish from the hops. Nicely balanced between chocolatey sweetness and the drier finish. Subtle carbonation works well. On its own, a solid stout, the addition of chocolate makes it a bit more luxurious and exotic. I'm not really even a big fan of chocolate, but this stout is great. No synthetic chocolate taste whatsoever. However, is is a touch too cloying to make a sessioner out of...

02-16-2005 20:20:18 | More by crookedhalo
markman

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Rogue Chocolate Stout:

<Pouring into Imperial Pint glass> Wow…my God…OK, Shakespeare Stout with chocolate flavoring. This’ll be good. First of all, I love this freakin’ beer and my wife can’t believe I haven’t reviewed it yet. And since it is St. Valentine’s weekend, I’ll read between the lines and review the damn thing. Motor oil black under a perfect ¾” head while the chocolate aroma permeates the room. Creamy body, slightly oily, viscous, and malty…but this is about chocolate, roasted barley malt, oats and oh, did I mention chocolate? There is a nice Rogue hoppyness that comes in at the close that lingers with the chocolate memory just long enough to drive your hand back for another sip. Oh my sisters and brothers, nothing wrong with this beer.

Cheers...

02-13-2005 02:11:48 | More by markman
necoadam

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours out a pitch black color with a nice tan head that went to lacing afterwards.

Smell...whoa! Chocolate alright. The chocolate isn't sweet either, it has that imported smell to it, and i'm sure it'll have that imported taste as well. Malts also show up, along with a touch of coffee, cocoa, and earth tones.

Taste started out with a ton of chocolate along with some roasted malts. The roasted malts seemed to get stronger and stronger towards the end. Some dark fruit and coffee show up as an underlying to the chocolate and malts.

Mouthfeel was medium. It was very smooth, rich, and creamy. Very nice.

Heck, pair this up with some black forest cake and drink this instead of milk next time. Great stuff.

02-11-2005 21:12:13 | More by necoadam
BurghBrewPSU

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours black with a brownish tan head. The name of this brew cant even trick Mr. Obvious. Smells of Chocolate, with hints of coffee. As far as taste goes, this one tops the "Stout Chart" and you guessed it, tastes like chocolate. However, I had a 22oz bottle of this, and if I hadnt shared it, I probably couldn't have finished it by myself. A 12oz bottle would be a perfect serving size. Overall another wonderful beer by Rogue.

02-11-2005 04:53:43 | More by BurghBrewPSU
OStrungT

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer pours a very dark brown, just like melted dark chocolate. The head is dark tan with good head retention. It leaves a good amount of laces on the glass. It smells like chocolate. There are hints of rosted malts, but the chocolate is the dominant aroma. This beer smells stronger of chocolate than any beer I have ever had. It tastes like chocolate. I cant really say any more about that. It tastes like carbonated, slightly malty chocolate. It goes down smooth. This beer is easy to drink. The carbonation is just right. I think that this beer is very good. However, I think that the strong chocolate flavor might become a little bit much after a few pints. If you havent tried this beer, you need to. Soon.

02-11-2005 00:44:00 | More by OStrungT
blitz134

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Black hole colored if I must say so with no light transmission. I do believe light is actually being sucked into this beer. There was ample brown head to begin with which reduced to barely a coating. Aroma was of toffee with hits of tootsie rolls and expresso. Flavors of ample toasted malts and a touch of smoke. Chocolate is definately a major player in this beer. There was also an unexpected touch of slightly citrus hops coming through. Almost like that orange flavored chocolate you get around the holidays. And at the very end was a tiny amount of coffee aftertaste. Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected, not really heavy at all. This is a good after-dinner beer that I'd gladly have a couple of and will revist again.

02-08-2005 04:40:06 | More by blitz134
chugamugofsud

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours dark with a little dark creamy head. The smell is amazing, perhaps the best part of the stout, it is very chocolatey with a roasted malt sneaking in behind. The beer is tasty and isn't too grainy from the chocolate but becomes hard to drink. Have one but plan on sharing the bottle with a friend or two so that you don't have to drink so much chocolate.

02-07-2005 03:46:11 | More by chugamugofsud
sinistermadman

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Rogue brews some really good stuff, but this is my first time trying this stout. I am usually put off by flavored brews so we'll see how this goes.

Pours a deep, dark brown which emanates a very creamy caramel nut colored head.

Hints of chocolate malts are evident in the smell. Doesn't smell overly sweet, but rather earthy and deep.

First taste can be summed up in one word, chocolate. Not a overbearing sort of chocolate, but a kind of bitter non-sweet kind. Very balanced. Very crisp and quite refreshing. The chocolate tone is kept in check with oaty goodness. This stout is quite tasty. I am surprised that this stout is as drinkable as it is.

Drinkability is excellent. Definitely a dessert beer, although this could work pretty well in a session lineup in my opinion.

In summary a stout which defies logic in obtaining a non-intrusive but very rich flavor all the while not trading off on the drinkability factor. Cheers.

02-06-2005 23:52:50 | More by sinistermadman
Pegasus

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Utterly black with a thick and dense tan head, which retains well. The lacing is thick and glass-coating.

Aroma: Deep notes of bitter chocolate utterly dominate the aroma. There are lesser toasted malt notes as well. The superb arom makes it tempting to serve this in a goblet, to retain as much of the aroma as possible.

Taste: Bitter chocolate and alcohol dominate the flavor profile from start to finish. Subtle fruit notes are present in the middle, offering a brief chocolate-covered fruit flavor. There is a lingering coffee-like bitterness towards the finish, which lingers well beyond the end of the taste.

Mouth feel: Quite smooth and full, a little soft carbonation on the tongue, dry at the finish.

Drinkability/note: Unwaveringly excellent, complex, and difficult to overrate, no less than superb.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-two ounce enameled brown glass poptop bomber; served in a standard pint tapglass.

02-06-2005 14:24:08 | More by Pegasus
Dukeofearl

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a deep, dark black/brown- there ain't no way any light is getting through this beer! A moderate brown (not tan, brown) head that starts strong and vigorous, but drops fairly quickly.

Aroma- well, I guess I must say it. Chocolate. Sweet, medium milk chocolate- but fairly rich. Not bitter strong chocolate. And to be honest, I can't smell anything else.

Flavor- rich, malty, dark bready, with obvious chocolate overtones. But the hops keep this from going to far into the realm of chocolate milk- it pulls it back a notch. Pretty tasty, but more hops than I expect.

Mouthfeel- full and creamy, can't ask for much more.

Overall a good beer, worth re-visiting. I'm starting to try Rogue's selections, and I am enjoying them.

02-03-2005 04:46:12 | More by Dukeofearl
Stubbie1

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

As all stouts do this one also pours a dark coffee color. A tan head meets the top of the glass and hangs for a spell then leaves no trace. Aroma of semi-sweet chocolate is dominate nothing more and nothing less. The taste was a surprise, I thought it would be over done as some other chocolate type brews but this was well balanced with the chocolate flavor. It was not as sick sweet but a bitter sweet. Maybe the malt and hops used blended this well. Bottom line …enjoyable but too much chocolate could drive me nuts after awhile so I couldn’t put this as a session brew but definitely in the desert category. If you have had other chocolate brews and did not care for them…try this one from Rogue, it may change your mind.

01-25-2005 02:06:25 | More by Stubbie1