Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got a couple on tap at Lionheart in Albany last night.

Pours black with a short, milkshake-colored tan head that disappeared relatively quickly, leaving not much lacing, but a pretty solid ring around the glass.

Scent: The immediate onslaught is chocolate. Reminds me of hot cocoa mix. As I inhale more deeply, however, I discern the malt underneath. But as expected, the chocolate dominates.

As for taste: once again the chocolate dominates, especially at the start of each sip. As it coats the mouth, however, there is a sense of roasted malt, a tad bit of coffee flavor, and a very slight bitter finish lingers on the back of the tongue, reminding me once again more of dark chocolate bitter than a typical beer's hoppy bitterness. Given the chocolate scent and the initial flavor, it’s surprisingly dry rather than sweet.

As for mouthfeel: moderately carbonated. Not as heavy on the feel as you might expect from the color and scent, but also not as creamy as I thought it would be.

Drinkability? I liked it so much I had another. For a full-flavored stout, I found it quite drinkable, and the 6% ABV won't hit you as hard as, say, an Imperial Stout. But if you’re not into chocolate-flavored beer, you may consider this to be a “one and done” dessert-type beer.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appears near pitch black with a fair tan head. Smells great, mainly and very strongly of dark chocolate. The taste is heavy with roasted grains and a distinct chocolate aftertaste. After a few drinks the chocolate aftertaste became less pronounced and was slightly more bitter, though I would not have described the first few sips as sweet. The mouthfeel is fairly heavy on the bubbles, and I would say it was a little too much for a stout, but there was some creaminess. Overall I did enjoy this beer a lot, but when I'm in the mood for a beer like this, I usually go for something a bit stronger and more complex.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz. bomber served in a nonic.

Pours very black with almost no transluscence and a mocha/tan head that dissolves to a ring and patchy lace. Visible sediment on the bottom of my glass, don't know what's up with that.

Smell is to freakin' die for. Chocolate dominates with notes of coffee and dark fruits to back it up. Minimal hop presence in the smell, but it's there.

Taste is similar but the impact of the chocolate is lessened and there's a distinct grainy character that really keeps this one from being overly sweet. Hops are a pleasant earthy backbone, still quite fruity, too.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but definitely leaves a sticky feeling in your mouth.

I could put this one away for the rest of the evening.

I really want to try this with some ice cream and maybe fresh berries.

EDIT: Just read cwrw's review, and "creamy lactose" is an absolutely perfect phrase for this beer.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Over-hopped from my perspective - a "flaw" in some Stone brews. I can't help but feel it would soar if toned down just a bit. Even after several tries, the unpleasant bitterness lingers to make the drinkability rating mediocre (I've enjoyed barleywines that didn't suffer from this limitation) Maybe it's just me and my sweet-longing palatal proclivity. Decent numbers all-around otherwise. I'll give this contender a few more go's at it before giving up. You never know.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

This is my first chance to try the Chocolate Stout from Rogue, and if reviews mean anything, this should be a fine stout indeed. 650ml bottle with the embossed Rogue label. What I love about the Rogue bottles is their listing of the actual hops and malts used in the beer--something I have yet to see on any bottle here in Canada. Nice to have the IBU and Plato listed as well. Big whiff of chocolate as soon as I popped the cap. This, like their Mocha Porter, is extremely dark and opaque with hints of dark blue near the edges. The head is large and mocha-coloured, with little dimples of deeper brown/near red. Good tight foam and full sheets of lacing that leave rings on the glass. A fantastic looking stout. The aroma is make-no-mistake chocolate. Nesquick, raisins, and cafe mocha. A syrupy aroma floats around too, akin to tree sap or maple. The hops are really hard to smell, because this is all about the dark cocoa man--in fact, whilst the aroma is appetising, it is uncomplex. Perhaps some hazelnut, a little toffee/caramel, light licorice. Brownies, chocolate cake, chocolate bars....etc. Anything chocolate really. To its credit it smells like fresh, real chocolate and not some stale extract. The beer warms a little and some creamy lactose comes into play as well, complementing the malts. A really lovely malty aroma all in all. Soft and sweet. Cocoa and mocha on the tongue at first, with soft hints of dusty chocolate on the middle and a fairly bitter finish where the hops add their oiliness and a little grassy citrus. The bitterness is actually quite high after a few sips. Tasty malts, with some oat fulness. Licorice, chocolate raisins, and very grainy and dusty malting in the aftertaste. Still, the flavour is not quite as full or as chocolate-filled as I expected. The body feels a little weak--perhaps less smooth than I should like for a chocolate stout. Lingering taste though, with a wonderful roasty dryness. This was very good, but not outstanding. Personally I don't see why it rates so high. A definite case of "not-living-up-to-the-hype."

22oz bomber

Appearance – Pitch black, no light going to get through this one. Nice tan frothy head.

Smell – Smells like a dessert to me, very chocolately. Subtle roasted malt aroma as well.

Taste – The taste is dominated by the chocolate which I was expecting judging from the smell. the chocolate taste either grew on me or that particular aspect mellowed out a bit as the beer warmed. There was enough bitterness in there to tame the sweetness I was expecting, which was nice.

Mouthfeel – Thick chewy body, very nice for this style of stout.

Drinkability – Surprisingly easy to drink. I found a 22oz bomber to be plenty but I was not full, I just needed to through back something a little more hoppy :)

Would be best IMO on a colder day but it was there on the shelf and I wanted to give it a go, I was pleased.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

22oz bottle, no date info

Pours with a thick, latte-colored head of mixed-size bubbles that slowly settles to a skim coat leaving a single line of lacing. Deep, dark black with mahogany highlights at the edges. The smell is thick and inviting, filled with roastiness and a sweet chocolate aroma similar to a warm brownie or Hershey's syrup. The taste is roasty bitterness up front that gives way to clear as a bell chocolate, slightly bittersweet bakers chocolate, but with a touch of milk chocolate sweetness. There is a creamy creaminess present as well. The roast chocolate notes linger in the mouth. Full bodied and also surprisingly light, with almost no carbonation, but this works. Perhaps not a session beer, this one is highly drinkable and is a wonderful accompaniment with rich desserts.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours nearly black and forms a large light brown head. Looks very nice.

The smell is rich dark chocolate, and somewhere underneath roasted malt tries to make itself known. Loving the dark chocolate part, and when the smell balances it is still very nice.

Taste is a little more stout than chocolate. Roasted malt becomes stronger, and the chocolate part of the taste feels a little thin. The finish has a bit of dryness, and more roasted flavour lingers than anything. I was hoping for a more chocolate flavours.

Mouthfeel is good, though I would say that it could use just a touch more weight. Carbonation is light, as expected with the style.

I must say that this is the Rogue brew that I wanted to try the most. I can't say that it is a bad beer, but I am a little disappointed. I was hoping for something closer to Young's Double Chocolate Stout, as that is one of my personal favorites. A good stout, but the chocolate is drowned out by the strong stout qualities.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Appearance – Black and non see through. The head is a nice dark tan and leaves lacing all over.

Smell – So full of chocolate its crazy and I’m reminded of some sort of nutty truffle. The smell is quite sweet and I sense some hops as well. Very nice.

Taste – Same as it smells. Dominated by chocolate with an almost earthy sensation. There is roasted malt present, bitter hops, and a hint of what strikes me as cherry…but its extremely subtle.

Mouthfeel – Thick thick thick. Love it. Toned down carbonation. So nice. Wow. Pefect.

Drinkability – I can down like no other, but I prefer to sip it. No complaints.

Damn good beer. I love it. I need more…

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a dark, dark brown. In the glass it could easily be mistaken for being black in color. Light is not capable of passing through this one.
The head is mocha in color and would look right at home on a rootbeer float. The lace hangs in sheets.

Smell is unsweetened cocoa, dark roasted malts with smoky and toasted notes.

Taste is all about the chocolate. Not sweet, more of a dry cocoa flavor. Cocoa flavored aftertaste, not unpleasant.

Full bodied, potentially a meal all by itself. Creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is rather subdued.

I have tried other chocolate stouts, to date none have been in the same league as this one by Rogue. Well done!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Highs: Taste, oh my God!
Lows: None

Pours a brown/black opaque with a solid one-finger head of brown, creamy, various-sized bubbles. Head fades away at a steady pace, leaving a light lacing. Nose is malt, sweet hops, and a strong presence of milk chocolate. Taste… HOLY CRAP, it’s chocolate milk! Serious milk chocolate action here. If this is your thing, read no further; run, don’t walk to your nearest beer specialty store and buy some of this marvelous elixir. Fortunately (?) the milk chocolate, in-your-face flavor fades upon subsequent quaffs; it could become overpowering. There’s also a heavy malt presence and some sorghum evident. Mouth is a bit watery for a porter, but is refreshing and bubbly. Finish is sweet hops to a dry bitter close; excellent if you enjoy this style. Drinkability is good, easy to kick back several.

Overall: Wow, a kickass porter. I think I’m in love.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Dark black pour leaves tan crust of foam. Aroma is distinctively sweet and of chocolate cake. The taste is not as sweet perhaps, it has a bit of mocha flavor with a hint of smoke, and a moderately bitter finish that has a sour after taste. Mouthfeel is quite thick, with decent carbonation. Drinkabilty is good, not overly alcoholic, but the chocolate flavor seemed a bit contrived as they added flavoring. I would have expected a bit more sweetness to balance out the taste.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Deepest black, with noticable bubbles and a thin but persistent, lusciously brown head.

Smell: Dark and heavy malt, chocolate. Not a significant amount of hops, "just" dark chocolate.

Taste: The chocolate dominates everything else. There's some maltiness, certainly, and while there are certainly some bittering hops (69 IBU worth, according to the bottle), I don't taste much hop flavor in the citrusy / piney register. The malt and hops support the chocolate, rather than complement it. Other reviews mention some spices (especially comparing it to Mexican drinking chocolate), but I don't taste them.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not smotheringly malty. Rather drinkable, actually, a bit thick but not satiating.

Overall: Definately worth trying. The chocolate flavor is good, though it did come off a little one-dimensional. Nonetheless, highly drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Pours jet black with a very foamy head about two fingers thick and mocha in color.

Aromas: Mocha notes lots of chocolate.

Taste: Chocolate and more chocolate great mocha notes with burnt hop notes and very malty rather rich. A very smooth mouthfeel.

Notes: This one is aboslutely great a chocolate lovers dream beer foam lines the glass from begining to end a winner from Rogue. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at TPH 4/14/06 for $5. Served in a pint glass.

This is a chocolate lover's chocolate stout. It is a beautiful beer: black with a creamy, slightly brown head that just invited the lucky drinker to imbibe. The taste is sweet for a beer, with an overwhelming chocolate taste. It is almost like drinking dark chocolate, with a nice hop undertone playing with the semi-sweet roastiness of the malt. A little slow going down due to its body, this is a very nice offering from Rogue.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 4/13/06 from a 22 ounce bottle.

Poured near black with a two inch mocha head. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, chocolate and even more chocolate. Oddly enough, taste is chocolate too...both sweet and bitter. Mouthfeel is thick and coating. Drinkability is pretty good.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a rich malty sweet beauty with a creamy off white head and thick lacing. The color is completely opaque. The aromas of chocolate and mocha are completely apparent from the opening of the bottle, there are more subtle notes of toasty or roasted grain but not overpowering. I think Rogue has once again proven to me that they can brew whatever they want and succeed. I could drink this beer for dessert any day of the week.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a coal black beer with a tall brown head.

Smell is slightly sweet and fairly hoppy for a chocolate stout. Once you get past the hops the chocolate and vanilla aromas really come out and massage your nose. But there are more aromas; this is unexpectedly spicy with a good cinnamon and slight chili pepper aroma like Mexican chocolate. There also seems to be some allspice and ginger in the scent as well.

Taste is semi dry and spicy at the beginning with a strong cinnamon and ginger flavor.
Chocolate kicks in more after a few more sips, but the spices never quite disappear from the taste and adds that extra kick that Mexican chocolate and coffee has. This is a stout that never gets bitter and stays semi dry in your mouth a most superior stout.

Mouthfeel is thick.

I really want to hate this beer because of who makes it, but I can't do that this is really a great beer. Creamy and tasty this is quite good, and somewhat expensive at $7 a bottle. If you are holding out on trying this just because of who makes it then stop and give it a chance. I would possibly question the Style classification, as this is most certainly a heavily spiced beer.

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

22 oz bomber

Pours a thick ceamy head and then disapates quickly. This beer is heavily carbonated with a strong scent of chocolate and malt. Not as strong or smooth as I hoped considering Shakespear's taste. I even tried to pare with chocolate and found it very dissapointing. This beer had no substance to it and left me hanging! Hope next years batch is better!

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

A used motor oil brown pour, with very little head present and no lacing. Overly roasted choclate malts, oats, malt ball, cream and sweet vanilla abstract and used coffe grounds make up the aroma.

The mouth of this beer is very austere to me. There are some sharp edges I think need straightening but I feel this way about all of Rouges darker brews. Almost like a low end mocha latte. And I say low end because of the coffee taste, which reminds me of either used rinds or a cheap folgers or maxwell house type blend. Overly choclate hops and oaty flavors and very unsweetened. Roasted malts, cream, cassis, and a slight background hop, and maybe some burnt marshmallow.

This beer leaves a very tannic mouthfeel with a long choclate finish. Too choaclaty for my liking; making this a one beer and done for me.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Smells faintly of chocolate, and pours a very dark brown with milky brownish head. Initial taste is a bit harsh, complex combination of quite bitter chocolate and hops. Following the beer is a great mouthfeel, something like chocolate cake. Perfect drink for after dinner with a desert, or as a desert.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

From a 650ml brown, silkscreen labeled bomber pours an opaque black-brown liquid that does not let light through, it looks like liquid Vegemite. An overly aggresive pour got me a three-finger, cocoa brown frothy head. Plenty of lacing with this one.

First sniff reveals dart bitter chocolate roasted to burnt malts and a very strange hop twang that hard to put a finger on. I am guessing this is not normal for this brew, the best way I can describe it is vinegar and kind of tincture of benzoin...really weird. I will review this beer again soon, as I think this is not a good bottle. I will do my best to continue, putting aside the strange, off-flavor.

Main taste with the first quaff is of bitter chocolate, dark french roast coffee and a strong Cascade hop bittering finish. Very rich and roasty. It starts with just a bit of sweetness then quickly turns bitter and dry with a nice, chocolaty aftertaste that hangs on.

Mouthfeel is lively and cream-like, medium heavy in body and moderately strong, I'd recommend this as an after dinner beer or night capper...cheers.

Note: the ratings I gave reflect what I think the beer deserves and I will review it again soon and adjust as I see fit, thanks. S.O.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Presentation - 22 oz. bomber bottle. Poured shiny black with a dark tan head. Excellent lacing, but that's nothing new for Rogue.

Smell - Sweet cocoa and dark chocolate are predominant. Oats enhance the rich sweetness of the smell

Mouthfeel - Heavy. Thick. Smooth. Very nice. Enough said.

Taste - The smell belies the taste of this beer. I was expecting sweetness along the lines of Young's Double Chocolate, but that isn't the case. The taste is sweet at first, but the dark, more bitter chocolates soon take over. Not that its a bad thing in any way. Coffee and hints of berry can be found. The hop presence is perfectly masked until the finish. Surprisingly dry and hoppy at the end, but that provides an excellent contrast to the sweeter and earthier flavors found towards the beginning. Taaaayyysty!

Drinkability - Strictly a one per night brew at the bomber size. Nevertheless, thoroughly drinkable throughout the bottle. The flavors never wear on you, and alcohol level is reasonably low.

Overall - The word of mouth has been spreading, and with good reason. This beer kicks ass. It takes a backseat to no chocolate stout (I'm looking at you, Brooklyn - you have been matched). The 22 oz. size gives you plenty of time to savor all this beer has to offer. I'm glad I bought two instead of just one! Rogue, why must you be all the way on the west coast???

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Big'ol 22oz bottle poured into my pint glass. Jet black color with a rich brown head that is rich and abundant. Has rooms of rich cocoa and toffee. The roasted malts jump out with coffee, toffee, and vanilla scents.

The first taste is so rich and almost overwhelming. Dark bitter chocolate is the most predominate flavor with espresso lingering in the background. It has a certain dryness to it and isnt sweet by anymeans. As you keep drinking the taste only amplifies in you mouth.

I couldn't do a session of this by any means but paired with the right dessert it would be fantastic. A very high quality brew that I look foreward to using in my cooking.

As much as I like this beer though I've opened two 22oz bottles on seperate occasions and couldnt finish either of them. Afterwhile it just gets to be too much for me.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

All right all right, I guess I'll go ahead and see what all the hype is about over this beer.

Pours quite dark-- just about opaque. Big dark tan head leaves nice tracings on the glass. It took me a while to begin drinking this beer because I was having so much fun just smelling it! Rich milk chocolate, faint pipe tobacco, all wrapped up in a general candy aroma-- smells like chocolate eggs with the hard candy shell... smells like Easter! More goodness on the palate: surprisingly airy and floral, followed by a candy sweetness, chocolate, tobacco, then a sturdy roasted bitterness in the finish. Whereas the aroma seems to be all milk chocolate, the flavor takes on more of a dark chocolate/cocoa profile, along with dark fruits as are often found in dark chocolate-- in this case, dark cherries, perhaps. Whereas this baby is loaded with flavor, the palate remains by and large unsmothered, and as such you may be tempted to gulp this brew right down. But don't-- there's too much complexity and too many rewards in here to rush through. Bravo Rogue.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales