Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

This is one of the darkest, thickest stouts I’ve had to date. This pours to an opaque, used-motor oil black, with a thick, dark tan head. The real secret to enjoying htis beer, as with many stouts, is to let it warm some. In my anticipation to try, I first smelled and tasted it right out of the refrigerator...nothing special. I then waited 20 minutes, and what a difference. Great aroma of chocolate and toffee, smelled like fresh made Turtle candy. Taste was more of the malty chocolate, but finely balanced by enough hops to not be too sweet. From the looks and smell of this thick bodied beer, I was worried about a syrupy sweet, but instead was long, smooth and just right. A very good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bear with me, it's been a while...

Got tonight in a 22oz bomber for $4.99

As much as I've had and enjoyed this beer it's amazing I didn't review it before when I reviewed more often, but anyway...

The pour was an extremely dark brown with a nice brown head. And when I'm drinking something called 'chocolate stout', that's exactly what I want to see. The only flaw is that it could have lasted longer.

The smell and taste are both of a good oatmeal stout infused excellently by dark chocolate. The chocolate comes first but by the end it reminds you it's a stout.

The mouthfeel didn't do as much for me. It rolls around good but a bit rough for my taste at the end. Still not bad at all.

I am reviewing this about 3/4 of the way through this bomber. I've been working on it for around an hour just enjoying it. The (heavenly) smell and flavor have maintained throughout. You're only going to want one of these, but you'll want all of it. Not sure about dessert but this is a great nightcap and I'll happily come back to it.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a deep onyx with a tan head that is about an inch thick and drops kind of quickly to a few thin swerrels.
the aroma is intense, roasty, chocolate, coffee. it jumps out at you.
the flavor is rich, malty, chocolateness, swimming with roasted barley and some hop spice. little sweet, but a damn great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

All I have to say is wow! This stuff is as good as everyone says! Pours a deep brown almost black. Thick tan heads that sticks around for a little while. When smelling it fresh out of the bottle you definately smell the malt and subtle hints of dark chocolate. The taste it just wonderful. To me very balanced. The malt is the first thing I notice, just a small hint of alcohol then the subtle chocolate flavor. The chocolate aftertaste is nice and not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is not nearly as heavy as you would expect it to be by looking at it. Very good drinkability but not something that you pound 4 of unless your a gorilla or something. I usually take a while to drink my stout but as I got to the bottom of the bottle and it warmed a little the alcohol taste kind of started to take over and there was less of a chocolate taste at that point. But I pretty much enjoyed the whole bottle so no real big complaints. I think it would go great with a nice chocolate desert or it can be desert just by itself! I highly recommend this one if your a fan of stouts!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber

A-Thick brown head and very dark,almost black body.1 1/2 head and real thick and fluffy.I cant see throught the beer at all.The head stays with the beer for a while.

S-Chocolate smell and malts.

T-Very strong,chocolate taste and roasted nuts.

M-Very easy tasting and easy going down.Not as thick as it looks,nice aftertaste.I think its carbony.

D-Im glad I bought it.It taste real good.I could have gone for some more.I reccomend to beer lovers.I was a bit skeptical about this,since im not a big fan over stouts but this one is real good.Another great beer from the Rogue guys!

***UPDATE***05-02-07

I decided to try this beer again when my palate has gotten more accustemed to taste's of good beer.Poured into a tulip glass.

A-BIG thick brown head and a nice very dark blackish/brown body.Some nice lacing is left on the glass as the head goes down.

S-I smell some sweet chocolate.Some fruityness is there,hops im assuming.

M-Mouthful is a bit thick and the carbonation is a little more then I like to a stout beer but not enough to make you cry.

D-Once again,Good stuff.I enjoyed this the first time I had it and the 2nd time is no exception.If I remember correctly,the choclate has tamed down a bit since I last had it.I have heard people aging this.I may have to jump on the band wagon and try it myselfI would reccomend this to anyone who wants a great beer and a great chocolate stout.

T-Some sweet chocolate taste then leads to some bittering.

3.52/5  rDev -15.2%

Well i was a little worried this was going to just taste like sam adams choclate boch but let me tell ya the taste was completely different---in a good way. Made from real chocolate you can really taste it. Almost a hot chocolate taste and mouthfeel, except it was cold and and alcohol, can you say mmm mmm good!!!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

among my favorites....i have never been let down by rogue...beautiful dark heavy stout...notes of chocolate(obviously) and coffee...this a delightful stout for any occasion...delicious by bottle or on tap

if you're a fan of young's double chocolate this is a must have

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

First off.. the aroma of this beer is heavenly. Dark chocolate with macadamia nuts and pieces of orange zest come to mind. My friend who doesnt really dig beer at all loved the smell of this one. The appearance was very nice with fluffy head and hardly any lacing. The taste was great.. chocolate as expected with a little bitterness. This beer is basically a dessert in a bottle. Not sure if I'd drink this all night, but after a three course meal this would be perfect.

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Pours opaque black with a medium/small tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells strongly just like milk chocolate with a bit of roasted malt - very unique and nice. Roasted malt flavor with a lot of chocolate, obvious and pleasant but not overpowering. Some hops are noticable in the finish and the beer finishes with a lingering roasted malt bitterness. Surprisingly this is pretty balanced. Mouthfeel is excellent- thick and creamy. Delicious but the heaviness and chocolate flavor do take a bit away from the drinkability of this brew. Awesome overall.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at the Rogue Alehouse in San Fran.

The beer was a deep black with a minimal brown head that diminished into a brown lace that lasted through the pint.

The aroma of this beer is truly unique, expecially as it warms. I've had chocolate stouts before, but never with such a wonderful "Hershey" aroma, just like when you unwrap a fresh bar readying your s'mores. There are some roasty notes in the background and hints of Pacific NW hops.

The flavor of this beer is very roasty with some hints of ash. There isn't much sweet maltiness to speak of. The chocolate comes through very nicely without being overpowering. The hops are there in a good amount, but aren't too citrusy or piney, just nicely floral. The flavors are very complimentary - like a dark cup of coffee with a rich chocolate desert. Mmmm...

The mouthfeel is medium, but I wouldn't mind a little more weight here. Also, the addition of some wheat malt and/or Carapils might help add a little creaminess that this beer lacks.

Certainly the best chocolate stout I've had. Cheers!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

appearance: pour a uber black w/ a creamy brown 1 inch head.

smell: robust scent of chocolate w/ a hint of molasses.

taste: begins slightly sweet and has a bitter sweet chocolate aftertaste.

mouthfeel: medium to full body, watery yet slightly oily around the lips. Nice lively carbonation feel.

drinkability: smooth w/ a robust flavor of choclate.

Overall, I love this beer from start to finish. The only bad thing was when the beer was gone.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark chocolate, to dark brown with moderate carbonation. The head is a fantastic looking cocoa colored, 2 finger thick, big and puffy, layered mass of foam with a rocky crust. It really is quite a work of art.

The smell is fragrant, lots of sweet chocolate and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is where I lost it. It is big chocolate, quite smooth with a bitter after taste on the back of the tongue. Bit I just did not like it all that much. Like the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. Maybe it is just too sweet when you add chocolate to beer. Come to think of it I do believe I have had some beers that tasted chocolaty that did not have chocolate in them. They should try to do that, But a bet it is real hard.

The mouthfeel is fine, smooth creamy, maybe a bit too small on the carbonation. This beet has plenty of bitter taste just no bitter bite.

Drinkability is just not up to standard. Next time pour me something else. MK

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a dark black color that I've only seen in imperial stouts before. In fact, this might be even darker and more opaque than 99% of those, too. Pours easily and has a medium to average size brown head.
Smell is well...chocolate. Not the "kind of chocolate" flavor most dark beers have, but more of a baker's chocolate or of a nice european candy bar. I'd call it REAL chocolate, which I guess it contains.
Taste is very smooth and silky. It starts off tasting a little like an irish dry stout, but then the chocolate kicks in. Again, like the smell, this isn't a "chocolate-like" flavor but very much the real deal. At the same time, it's a darker chocolate flavor, which I really enjoy.
Mouthfeel's perfect. Thin enough to drink regardless of season, but still maintains a lot of flavor that would wash away if it were too thin.
I could drink several of these, although because of the flavor, it seems like some of the depth decreases a bit as you drink more. I found that chocolate overpowering the other flavors a little after about 1/2 the bottle.
Still - this is a GREAT beer. By far the best chocolate brew I've had, and the price is cheaper than most of the others, too.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Split four ways, a big bottle of this disappeared pretty quickly.

Appearance: One of the darkest beers I've seen, absolutely opaque. Off-white head, good lacing.

Smell: Smells like the cocoa powder used in baking. Lots and lots of chocolate aroma, from beginning to end. Hard to pick out anything else, though.

Taste: Chocolatey and malty. As if Ovaltine had been stirred into the glass. The label cites "natural chocolate flavoring," I'm curious exactly what they used. Bitterness shows up at the swallow, where it finishes dry. Surprisingly not a "sweet" beer, despite all the chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is tame, as it should be for the style. Creamy mouthfeel, with medium body.

Drinkability: This would be a great dessert, but it worked well as a mid-afternoon snack too. Dry finish helps drinkability a lot.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

One of the blackest pours that I've ever seen, with a small cocoa colored head. OK retention, fancy lacings.

Big chocolate smell. Sweet malts and molasses lend to a chocolate bar wrapper aroma. Some hints of vanilla as well.

The flavor is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Bitter chocolate, cocoa and coffee balance with earthy oatmeal, slight dough flavors. There is a pronounced bitter finish but not overly flavorful. The taste somewhat more bland than I imagined. Much better at room temperature but still somewhat watered down tasting.

Moderate carbonation, what I might expect from an ale. Not creamy in the least.

I went back to the bottle to look for a freshness date but none was to be found. I have to wonder if this is either stale or light damaged. I honestly could not finish the entire bottle, as it simply was not appealing to me in the least. I'm going to try a another bottle from a different state and re-review if there is a significant difference. Otherwise, I'm very unimpressed by this beer.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

What a decadent beer……

In a category best served as an after dinner (or breakfast beer) stout, this is a culinary homerun. I could just as easily drink this at 9:30am Sunday morning, preparing for a Seahawk game, as I could puffing a nice Partagas Habano, after a sensational dinner with friends.

True to the American stout style, we have a deep, dark chocolate hue that gives way to a spice less (no cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc) oatmeal cookie/hot chocolate nose. A fairly quickly dissipating espresso head topped off this brew, adding to it’s decadent appearance. The flavor isn’t to far from that. Mild mocha latte, sweet roasted malt, with minimal hoppy presence, lend this beer to it’s wonderful lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate oatmeal ( whatever that is). This beer was fairly heavy, as a good craft stout should be…velvety and rich, but not overbearing with it’s mouth feel, lending itself to multiple, large bottle consumption opportunities.

A great starter AND a great finisher……all qualities I love in a beer. Enjoy alone, or with a nice after dinner, light to medium bodied cigar. Goes incredibly well with NY cheesecake as well. I’m sure a truffle now and then wouldn’t hurt either………..Enjoy.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rogue Chocolate Stout
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours an attractive jet black. Dark as night with a thick tan-colored head. Webbed lacings appear all over the sides of the glassware. Magnificant trails form and sustain.

Aroma packs a mean punch. Strong whiffs of roasted coffee and quality dark chocolate.

Light powdered chocolate, freshly brewed espresso and dark Hershey's syrup sweetness. Cocoa butter, french roast coffee and burnt peanut blend with a wholesome hop bitterness and bite. West coast, cascape hop presence comes through to my delight.

Mighty smooth and creamy. An incredibly drinkable and well balanced chocolate stout.

Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer pours very, very dark brown with about an inch tan head. By far the primary aroma is chocolate, but I can smell some roasted malt and a bit of coffee too. At first the chocolate sweetness takes over, and then finishes bitter. There's just a slight bitter aftertaste at first, but the longer I drink the beer, the stronger the aftertaste gets. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. It's full bodied and it's pretty drinkable. I don't think it's quite as good as Young's Double Chocolate Stout, but the Rogue Chocolate Stout is still a pretty good beer.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Little wonder why this one is rated so high – just a supurb brew that I, and my wife, really enjoyed.

Molasses brown, almost black, pour with a foamy tan head – nice sheet lacing.

Chocolate, of course, in the aroma and quaff. Also noted many a hint of coffee and burnt toast, but that dark Hersey backbone was outstanding.

Thick and rich, chewy. Must be a bazillion calories in it! A very nice sipper, indeed. This is one to get again and share with friends.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a bomber of Chocolate Stout purchased at Barnyard Spirits and served chilled in a Great Lakes tumbler.

A: The ale is black with a whitish-brown head.

S: Sweet milk chocolate dominates the nose.

T: The stout runs the gamut of flavors. Up front, sweet chocolate notes hit the tongue, followed by a mid-strength hop flavor then closing with a long-finishing roasted malt flavor.

M: The mix of sweet and bitter flavors give the beer an interesting mouthfeel.

D: The ale is very drinkable with a decent hop flavor that underscores a decadent chocolate taste.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured an ultra dark brown - non opaque, with a very dark mocha head. Lacing is extremely sticky. Excellent retention. The smell is utterly intoxicating. Milk chocolate, and lots of it. Hersheys doesn't have anything on this beer. Taste has a nice bitter-sweetness about it. Initially there is a surge of sweet chocolate and malt upfront. Which then leads us into a strong sweeping coffee roasted hop bitterness. That bitterness really rounds out the beer. From midway on, the bitterness is on high-level, and really fills the Stout role. Mouthfeel is creamy and dry. Drinkability is average.

A very impressive offering from Rogue, and one that I definitely recommend.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured bomber into a wheat glass, pours a jet black in color with a 2 inch foamy frothy carmel colored head, very impressive looking that leaves serious lacing on glass. Smell is of bitter sweet chocolate with hints of coffee thrown in there. Taste is just what I would expect, a chocolate coffee with a bit of bitterness thrown in, great after taste of strong espresso as well, very tasty and balanced. This is another fine drink from Rogue, I highly recommend this to any chocolate beer lover out there, two thumbs way up on this fine stout.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep black, dark tan head that dissapates fairly quickly.

Smells are definitely chocolate at first, some roasted burnt maltiness comes through as well, definitely a pleasant aroma.

Tastes, well like a stout, Coffee, oatmeal, malty sweet with a chocolate aftertaste. Maybe it's just me but I can't taste all that much chocolate, which I think is a good thing. It's there just not as apparent as one would think. Slight hoppyness to finish things out. This stout also doesn't sit too heavy on the stomach, which definitely earns it some points. Good medium-heavy body with good amount of carbonation.

Overall a pretty nicely balanced stout with that bit of extra malty sweetness from the chocolate, definitely a pleasent experience.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

poured into a pint glass, from the standard 1 pt. 6 oz. rogue bottle.

Silky looking caramel head, about an inch high, covering a tenacious looking black beer. Smell is of chocolate malt, and a little roasted malt? Perhaps. Taste is almost abundantly chocolate, although the hops do come through, albeit just enough to offset the sweet maltiness. Chocolate is strong, but not tedious, yet more than enough to please the chocoholic beer lover in me. Mouthfeel is a luxurious smooth, satin delight. Almost a romantic affair. Truly a sensual stout. Drinkability is slightly better than average, as I could maybe have a couple of these, but would need something to cut through the sweetness at some point. A delicious beer, but I wouldn't want to overdo it.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man, lots of drak brown suds here and even backlit, you can't peer through it. The smell is Chocolate ( who would of guessed?)
Can't really smell much else here. Mabey some malt.
First taste is only chocolate. Other tastings reveal some fruity flavors like green apples hidden wonderfully by the sweet to semi-sweet chocolate.
Mouthfeel is constant all the way through this bottle and the clean feel followed by a chocolate coating of the tounge is very nice.
Drinkability is determined if you love chocolate or not. I do and I could have this over and over. For a cheap looking bottle, this was a suprise of a drink. Chocolate lovers, get your fix here.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales