Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A pretty dark stout color with a strong mocha colored head. The lace thin but very strong and stained the glass big time as I drank the brew down. Very nice to look at. Nose was (guess) chocolate, candied sugar, caramel nougat, and a little rum-like ester. All were appetizing to smell, but none were presented or combined in an impressive way. Taste was (guess) chocolate and candied sugar. Had a dry hoppy finish but of the bitter sort you'd find in good chocolate. Even better was its almost fruity espresso flavors in the middle of its flavor profile. The mouthfeel was thin with a fizz that came from the head and hops. A very straightforward beer but by no means boring and one of the better stouts out of the six famous and beeradvocate highly-ranked ones I've had recently. Simple and simply edible, this is a tasty stout I am welcome to return to. With a way too easy mouthfeel, and skilled brewing, its a beer version of milk chocolate.

nomad, Mar 14, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +1%

As the beer poured pitch black, the aroma was heavily dominated by chocolate, with hints of coffee; as if I expected something else. As it poured, a thick, frothy, dark tan head formed which lasted for several good swigs. As the head receded, a decent lace-work was left behind.

The initial sensation, flavor was of course chocolate. But it’s done very nicely. The hop taste balanced out the chocolate, which created a nicely balanced stout.

The mouth feel was slightly lighter than I expected, but it was still very good. As stated earlier, the initial taste was dominated by chocolate, support by coffee, and was accompanied in the end by a hop bite the quickly subsided.

The was first taste of Rogue’s version of a Chocolate Stout and it won’t be my last.

Kunsan90, Mar 10, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Bought a 22 oz. bomber of this to help me get in the mood to study for me midterm tomorrow (something about that didn't sound right, hmm). Poured a oily jet black and produced a very large, very thick, creamy brown head - left lace all the way down the glass. The smell was dominated by cocoa, with small hints of roasted coffee. The first sip is always the best with any chocolate stout, and this one didn't let me down. Somewhat higher carbonation relative to others i have tried. The overall taste was of rich chocolate fighting with the hops for mouth domination - thats how i would describe it. In the end they both live in peace, blending into a bittersweet chocolate finish. And we all lived happily ever after - time to study.

nixhecks, Mar 05, 2003
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

What can I say? The name says it all. Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. It's like having a thin chocolate shake. It pours a dark, used motor oil black with a creamy tan head that disappears all too soon. The smell takes me back to a childhood of quaffing chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast before rushing off to school. If only I had been drinking this instead, classes would've been oh so much more enjoyable. The flavors come in waves. First there is a quick, muted blast of citrus, then wave after wave of chocolate; first sweet and creamy, then bittersweet. The finish leaves you with a bit of roast barley bitterness. The moutfeel is quite smooth, more like a dry stout. Good Stuff, though between the two I'd choose Shakespeare Stout.

johnrobe, Mar 02, 2003

Tried this stout thanks to Gusler. It pours a dark black colour topped by a creamy tanned head. Aroma consists of chocolate with hints of malt and coffee. Strong dark chocolate dominates the taste. An excellent beer. The only disadvantage is that it's a bit poor on the drinkability point of view. I wouldn't have more than 1 liter in one go.

ipogios, Mar 02, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

This one is a chocolate stout in the true and literal sense of the word!!
On first pour it is truly and deeply dark black - with a head that is deep, creamy tan foam. Aroma is overwhelmingly chocolate malt with some light coffee touchs.
Initial taste is strong dark chocolate with very little milk flavours, very smooth and creamy while still a little dry. The chocolate flavours dominate and, in fact, are nearly overwhelming (the one real weakness of the beer). Mouthfeel is less creamy than most chocolate stouts. It goes down smoothly, leaving little in the way of aftertaste.
I like the beer - but I don't know if I could recommend it given that it's the kind of beer some might really dislike. The chocolate flavours are SO strong that it's almost not even a beer but rather some sort of chocolate desert malt beverage.

SamuraiJack, Feb 23, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer came to me a black color that when held to the light the edges glowed a burnt red. The head was tan in color, that was somewhat thin but what was there was creamy. The aroma was quite simply put - chocolate milk. Semi-sweet in nature but all I got was 96% chocolate milk and 4 percent malt. The taste was also mostly creamy chocolate milk with hints of dark malt and some bitter chocolate. Full the whole way through and left a creamy feeling at the finish. A beer for all times of the day.
Simply put.....EXCELLENT....I need not say more.

Jarod, Feb 19, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Thought this appropiate for Valentine's Day.

Pours black, with a brown frothy head, at first dark, then a lighter shade. Settles into a Guinness-style thick table top. Aroma is rich chocolate. Oh wow. Taste starts off with roasted malt, a thin but respectable layer of hops, and finishes with enough chocolate to make you feel you had a melting Hershey's kiss in your mouth when you drank. And with signature oatmeal notes mixed in. Definitely an oatmeal stout at the bottom of this specialty. Thick, lush, and smooth across the tongue. Had this a couple years ago, and thought the chocolate was way over the top, but it is far more balanced now. An exceptional dessert beer / nightcapper.

RonfromJersey, Feb 14, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This brew was all black with very tan creamy head that diminshed into a thin layer with excellent lacing. This brew just looks creamy smooth. The smell is all rich chocolate with a slightly bitter tinge. The taste again is all chocolate, big surprise there, even though there is a lightly bitter finish which gives this brew an excellent balance. If it wasn't for the bitter end it would be too sweet. This is my new favorite stout, especially for dessert. I used this brew to top of a steak and it was excellent.

Bruiser81, Feb 14, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +7%

22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: This beer was pure black, with no light shining through at all, and it poured nice and thick. The head was a deep brown. When poured into a snifter, the head was creamy and coated the sides of the glass whenever it was tipped. When poured into a pint glass, the head rose up huge and rocky, settling back down to leave quite a bit of lace on the glass.

Smell: Well, I'll be damned. It smelled like chocolate. Go figure. A nice mild chocolate or cocoa aroma dominated this brew. When smelled from the bottle, that's all I could smell. It was like I was sniffing a chocolate bar. From the glass, the chocolate aroma was accompanied by a hoppy bite.

Mouthfeel: This was a very smooth, creamy, full beer. Very nice.

Taste: Once again, no surprises here: chocolate! And not the bitter chocolate flavors you get from roasted chocolate malts, this tasted just like chocolate. The flavor was not overpowering, though, and there really wasn't any excessive sweetness. There was a good balance achieved due to a light hops bitterness on the finish.

I really didn't think that I would like this beer. I figured that it would be either too sweet, or just taste like a cheap, flavored beer. I should have known better considering this brew comes from Rogue. They did a great job of creating a mellow, chocolate stout without slapping you in the face with the flavor. Instead of seeming artificial, it just seems "right."

Quaffer, Feb 13, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours out thick and black, with a deep tan head. Ample thick lacing down the glass. The head fades, but a mostly covering layer remains. Nice. Aroma is kind of milk chocolate-y, with a leaning towards dark bitter chocolate. Taste is sensational. A beautiful chocolate lays over the malts and oats. A very nice choice indeed to make a chocolate stout out of an oatmeal stout (not the Sammy Smith type, the oaty bitter type). These two flavours work very well against each other, with a little hops following along (very reserved and suitable). Thick and meaty in the mouth, smooth and drinkable. I think that if I had the urge, I could down one of these bombers damn quick.

Slick.

the42ndtourist, Jan 31, 2003
1.08/5  rDev -74%

Stick to the Shakespeare! I tried this and I must say that I don't like it. Stouts are some of my favorite brews, but not this stout. It's like Rogue took their awesome Shakespeare brew and spiked it will yucky chocolate. This tastes way too chocolate. There are other flavors going around in there, but the chocolate overpowers. I can see how some could like this, but I do not.

scottum, Jan 31, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Wow...my first Rogue beer...and what a beer...
the only chocolate beer that actually tasted like chocolate but not sweet...
Color was black and had a thick very dark tan head that all but dissappeared in a little bit...
aroma was coco and chocolate milk like...
the taste was a complex mix of real chocolate, a little bitterness and some malt flavors
drinkability...great
I am definately running back to my store and buying a few more bottles to stow away for later...mmm

stegmakk, Jan 30, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

I have read so much about this beer that when I spied a 22 fl.oz. Bottle recently whilst out beer-shopping, it was immediately purchased without the merest thought.
It poured a lovely a deep black color. The head races up the glass as I poured the beer, forming a huge deep brown mass that looks like it belongs in Starbucks. I noted that intense chocolate aromas were already building up into quite a nose before the beer had even finished pouring. The frothy head soon settled to a thin creamy looking brown collar that laced well as it collapsed. Aromas are not surprisingly, of chocolate, but these smells are dominated by cocoa powder and cooking chocolate.
First tastes are overwhelmingly of chocolate – real chocolate – which is quite astounding, and this is what differentiates this Chocolate Stout from other “wannabes”. As the beer reaches its middle the chocolate is dark and strong and lingers. I was expecting this beer to be overtly sickly, it is not, it is not in fact sweet at all. Putting the chocolate tastes aside, the beer has quite a dry bitter finish which I like. Mouthfeel is silky, milky and smooth, it positively coats the mouth. Nicely put together, this is certainly no 10 cent Hershey Bar, but more of a hand-made dark Belgium chocolate.

I am not a huge chocolate fan, my own tastes are spicy rather than sweet, and I am not sure just how much of this I could drink to be honest.
One of the better Chocolate Stouts.

TheLongBeachBum, Jan 26, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Rogue has found that secret passage that leads chocolate to beer and meshes them together so perfectly. I love this beer. Went to Andy's Corner in Bogota to hear that it was here, the first keg to hit NJ. Sounded too good to be true. Fortunately, it wasn't. This beer smells fantastic, has a great look and "feel" to it, pours with a great head and tastes just like heaven. Willie Wonka and Sam Smith couldn't team up to beat this beer. The only thing that keeps it from becoming a perfect "5"? It's hard to drink many of them in one sitting. Be that as it may, a beer not to be missed!!!

porter17, Jan 26, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

22 ounce bottle...
The immediate smell as soon as I popped the cap off was bakers chocolate. It poured with a medium sized chocolate milk colored head.

Appearance is super dark like an imperial stout. A stout's appearance doesn't get any better in my opinion.

First taste and yummy! The chocolate taste is coupled along with a slight bitterness and it's very candylike. The chocolate didn't last long in the aftertaste, but the bitterness did without being overwhelming. I pretty much think it tastes like Shakespeare with added chocolate, simple as that. I wasn't much for Shakespeare Stout so I definitely like the smooth chocolatey taste of this one.

The mouthfeel is enjoyable but not quite what I look for in a stout, something like creamy and syrupy it lacks a little bit.

I enjoy the stronger chocolate taste than say Young's Double Chocolate where I thought it wasn't strong enough.

AudioGilz, Jan 24, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Rogue Chocolate Stout: In the 22 ounce bomber bottle. A very tall and fluffy head, looking like chocolate sponge cake sits above this absolutely black beer. Even held up to the light, nothing can penetrate this brew. The aroma is pleasant, smelling like dark chocolate. Wow, is that a terrific tasting beer! The beer does have some carbonation, but once the beer settles down, a range of very pleasant malt/chocolate tastes assaults you. In fact, if it is possible, I like the beer better after I’ve swallowed it, as the chocolate sweetness is full force, and is very tasty. I was very skeptical that this beer belonged in the top ten, but there is no question that this is a great beer. Thank God I let this beer warm up somewhat before sampling it, and you must too.

jackndan, Jan 18, 2003
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

I finally got my hands on one of these. They flew off the shelf at Palmers when they got it in. I was lucky to snag one of them. This beer poured black as the night and formed a huge foamy dark tan head the left an almost full coat of lace on the sides as is subsided. Okay, the aroma smells of malt and chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Coca comes out the the sweet chocolate to offset it a bit. The flavor was of malt, burnt chocolate and a touch of coffee. The finish was fairly light for this style and had a slight bitterness to it. I prefer this to Young's any day of the week

Wildman, Jan 14, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

As was expected the beer was as black as night with a tan head like a good stout should. What a smell! Floral cascades mixing with the aroma of dark, rich chocolate. I can’t express how rich great the chocolate smelled. The only thing that could have made the nose of the beer better was if there was a toastiness. It would be impossible to miss the bittersweet chocolate ganache flavor of this beer. It’s not too sweet, just like dark chocolate should be. Hop flavor mixed well with the cocoa, and there was a complimenting hop bitterness and charcoal notes throughout. As the beer warmed the beer was creamier in the mouth and the hop flavor became more pronounced.

This was my favorite chocolate-containing beer (Brooklyn uses no chocolate in theirs). Much more assertive hop and grain flavors make this a more enjoyable stout than Young's IMO.

yen157, Jan 14, 2003
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

My first experience with Rogue Choco....it pours a rich, dark brown color, producing a thin, fine tan head. Said-head stays quite thin, and leaves an exemplary touch o' lace! There is an overwhelming chocolate lean to the nose. BIG time!!! Some mocha presents itself, too. This stout is pretty smooth on the tongue, and though above medium body-wise, I felt it could have more oomph there. I know that Rogue has a Mocha Porter, but I pick up huge mocha notes mingled amongst the chocolate here. This bier is very different from most stouts, which are more coffee-like, roasty and drier. It really tastes unlike any stout I can recently recall. Quite nice!!

overall: 4.1
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

Bierman9, Jan 12, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Chocolate!

Beer pours black as night topped with a creamy smooth, dessert-like tan head. Big time chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt aromas exploding out of the beer. Later on, the aroma reminded me more of a really nice chocolate milkshake. The flavor meets the expectation groundwork laid down by the aroma and appearance. CHOCOLATE! That's what this beer is all about. Dessert malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors with a great mouthfeel to boot. This isn't an overly sweet beer either, but nicely balanced. Next time I'm going to bust out some strawberries with this beer for an experiment in decadence.

comat0se, Jan 11, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer is black. It is topped with a medium sized dark brown head. It dwindles to an edging within a minute. Smells like dry cocoa powder, coffee and milk chocolate. Right up front, I get the Nestle Quick like chocolate flavor on the palette. There are other flavors at work as well. Burnt tones, bitter hops, roasted barley and oat. Body is full. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. A flavorful beer to be sure. The chocolate actually isn't as overbearing as I thought at first.

Gotta give props to ZAP, Budgood1 and Road Warrior for the combined effort to bring this beer to my presence.

Bighuge, Jan 01, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Of the Chocolate stouts I have tried, this one has the strongest chocolate taste, by far. The color is deep brown, with a brown head and no lacing. The smell hits from the minute you open the bottle - chocolate, hops, coffee. The difference with the smell here is that everything smelled fresh, I just wasn't just picking up scents, I was really smelling these things - strong. The taste was chocolatey, with more maltiness than the hops smell would indicate. The beer is really smooth, but seems low on carbonation. Overall, a great beer, but the sweetness and strength of flavor do lower my score for drinkability.

doho95fu, Jan 01, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I am just wrapping up tasting about a dozen of Rogue's beer and this along with the Imperial Stout, Shakespeare Stout, and I2PA are the cream of the crop...

For a chocolate stout the nose is surprisingly devoid of huge cocoa characteristics..more of a nestle quick milk chocolate nose, but also a huge breeze of fresh hops..and a hint of herbal/leather/earthy notes...it looks like I'd expect it to look dark black with a tinge of ruby red on the lace...Mouthfeel is about perfect...creamy...smooth..maybe a tich thin, but for this kind of stout it is probably right on the button...

I think the taste is exceptional...sweet milk chocolate but not overdone...also a nice herbal/leathery hop finsih that adds a real nice characteristic to this beer....

This isn't perfect but it is very close...I still like Youngs a tad better personally but this might be a better made beer...Young's has a bigger chocolate flavor and has very little hop bite...this is more complex and should be a must try for Beer Coniseurs around the globe...

ZAP, Dec 27, 2002
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

a beautiful black pour with a nice tan head atop this fine stout. you get a great smell of coffee, chocolate, and a little caramel .

the beer is extremely rich and smooth with a wonderful full body and full flavor. dark malts and coffee flavors take over in the taste of this beer. you will get chocolate kicks here and there, but nowhere near what i had expected. i will say that let me down a little bit. the beer was excellent, but i want more chocolate.

ElGuapo, Dec 25, 2002