Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Thought this appropiate for Valentine's Day.

Pours black, with a brown frothy head, at first dark, then a lighter shade. Settles into a Guinness-style thick table top. Aroma is rich chocolate. Oh wow. Taste starts off with roasted malt, a thin but respectable layer of hops, and finishes with enough chocolate to make you feel you had a melting Hershey's kiss in your mouth when you drank. And with signature oatmeal notes mixed in. Definitely an oatmeal stout at the bottom of this specialty. Thick, lush, and smooth across the tongue. Had this a couple years ago, and thought the chocolate was way over the top, but it is far more balanced now. An exceptional dessert beer / nightcapper.

RonfromJersey, Feb 14, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This brew was all black with very tan creamy head that diminshed into a thin layer with excellent lacing. This brew just looks creamy smooth. The smell is all rich chocolate with a slightly bitter tinge. The taste again is all chocolate, big surprise there, even though there is a lightly bitter finish which gives this brew an excellent balance. If it wasn't for the bitter end it would be too sweet. This is my new favorite stout, especially for dessert. I used this brew to top of a steak and it was excellent.

Bruiser81, Feb 14, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +7%

22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: This beer was pure black, with no light shining through at all, and it poured nice and thick. The head was a deep brown. When poured into a snifter, the head was creamy and coated the sides of the glass whenever it was tipped. When poured into a pint glass, the head rose up huge and rocky, settling back down to leave quite a bit of lace on the glass.

Smell: Well, I'll be damned. It smelled like chocolate. Go figure. A nice mild chocolate or cocoa aroma dominated this brew. When smelled from the bottle, that's all I could smell. It was like I was sniffing a chocolate bar. From the glass, the chocolate aroma was accompanied by a hoppy bite.

Mouthfeel: This was a very smooth, creamy, full beer. Very nice.

Taste: Once again, no surprises here: chocolate! And not the bitter chocolate flavors you get from roasted chocolate malts, this tasted just like chocolate. The flavor was not overpowering, though, and there really wasn't any excessive sweetness. There was a good balance achieved due to a light hops bitterness on the finish.

I really didn't think that I would like this beer. I figured that it would be either too sweet, or just taste like a cheap, flavored beer. I should have known better considering this brew comes from Rogue. They did a great job of creating a mellow, chocolate stout without slapping you in the face with the flavor. Instead of seeming artificial, it just seems "right."

Quaffer, Feb 13, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours out thick and black, with a deep tan head. Ample thick lacing down the glass. The head fades, but a mostly covering layer remains. Nice. Aroma is kind of milk chocolate-y, with a leaning towards dark bitter chocolate. Taste is sensational. A beautiful chocolate lays over the malts and oats. A very nice choice indeed to make a chocolate stout out of an oatmeal stout (not the Sammy Smith type, the oaty bitter type). These two flavours work very well against each other, with a little hops following along (very reserved and suitable). Thick and meaty in the mouth, smooth and drinkable. I think that if I had the urge, I could down one of these bombers damn quick.

Slick.

the42ndtourist, Jan 31, 2003
1.08/5  rDev -74%

Stick to the Shakespeare! I tried this and I must say that I don't like it. Stouts are some of my favorite brews, but not this stout. It's like Rogue took their awesome Shakespeare brew and spiked it will yucky chocolate. This tastes way too chocolate. There are other flavors going around in there, but the chocolate overpowers. I can see how some could like this, but I do not.

scottum, Jan 31, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Wow...my first Rogue beer...and what a beer...
the only chocolate beer that actually tasted like chocolate but not sweet...
Color was black and had a thick very dark tan head that all but dissappeared in a little bit...
aroma was coco and chocolate milk like...
the taste was a complex mix of real chocolate, a little bitterness and some malt flavors
drinkability...great
I am definately running back to my store and buying a few more bottles to stow away for later...mmm

stegmakk, Jan 30, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

I have read so much about this beer that when I spied a 22 fl.oz. Bottle recently whilst out beer-shopping, it was immediately purchased without the merest thought.
It poured a lovely a deep black color. The head races up the glass as I poured the beer, forming a huge deep brown mass that looks like it belongs in Starbucks. I noted that intense chocolate aromas were already building up into quite a nose before the beer had even finished pouring. The frothy head soon settled to a thin creamy looking brown collar that laced well as it collapsed. Aromas are not surprisingly, of chocolate, but these smells are dominated by cocoa powder and cooking chocolate.
First tastes are overwhelmingly of chocolate – real chocolate – which is quite astounding, and this is what differentiates this Chocolate Stout from other “wannabes”. As the beer reaches its middle the chocolate is dark and strong and lingers. I was expecting this beer to be overtly sickly, it is not, it is not in fact sweet at all. Putting the chocolate tastes aside, the beer has quite a dry bitter finish which I like. Mouthfeel is silky, milky and smooth, it positively coats the mouth. Nicely put together, this is certainly no 10 cent Hershey Bar, but more of a hand-made dark Belgium chocolate.

I am not a huge chocolate fan, my own tastes are spicy rather than sweet, and I am not sure just how much of this I could drink to be honest.
One of the better Chocolate Stouts.

TheLongBeachBum, Jan 26, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Rogue has found that secret passage that leads chocolate to beer and meshes them together so perfectly. I love this beer. Went to Andy's Corner in Bogota to hear that it was here, the first keg to hit NJ. Sounded too good to be true. Fortunately, it wasn't. This beer smells fantastic, has a great look and "feel" to it, pours with a great head and tastes just like heaven. Willie Wonka and Sam Smith couldn't team up to beat this beer. The only thing that keeps it from becoming a perfect "5"? It's hard to drink many of them in one sitting. Be that as it may, a beer not to be missed!!!

porter17, Jan 26, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

22 ounce bottle...
The immediate smell as soon as I popped the cap off was bakers chocolate. It poured with a medium sized chocolate milk colored head.

Appearance is super dark like an imperial stout. A stout's appearance doesn't get any better in my opinion.

First taste and yummy! The chocolate taste is coupled along with a slight bitterness and it's very candylike. The chocolate didn't last long in the aftertaste, but the bitterness did without being overwhelming. I pretty much think it tastes like Shakespeare with added chocolate, simple as that. I wasn't much for Shakespeare Stout so I definitely like the smooth chocolatey taste of this one.

The mouthfeel is enjoyable but not quite what I look for in a stout, something like creamy and syrupy it lacks a little bit.

I enjoy the stronger chocolate taste than say Young's Double Chocolate where I thought it wasn't strong enough.

AudioGilz, Jan 24, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Rogue Chocolate Stout: In the 22 ounce bomber bottle. A very tall and fluffy head, looking like chocolate sponge cake sits above this absolutely black beer. Even held up to the light, nothing can penetrate this brew. The aroma is pleasant, smelling like dark chocolate. Wow, is that a terrific tasting beer! The beer does have some carbonation, but once the beer settles down, a range of very pleasant malt/chocolate tastes assaults you. In fact, if it is possible, I like the beer better after I’ve swallowed it, as the chocolate sweetness is full force, and is very tasty. I was very skeptical that this beer belonged in the top ten, but there is no question that this is a great beer. Thank God I let this beer warm up somewhat before sampling it, and you must too.

jackndan, Jan 18, 2003
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

I finally got my hands on one of these. They flew off the shelf at Palmers when they got it in. I was lucky to snag one of them. This beer poured black as the night and formed a huge foamy dark tan head the left an almost full coat of lace on the sides as is subsided. Okay, the aroma smells of malt and chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Coca comes out the the sweet chocolate to offset it a bit. The flavor was of malt, burnt chocolate and a touch of coffee. The finish was fairly light for this style and had a slight bitterness to it. I prefer this to Young's any day of the week

Wildman, Jan 14, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

As was expected the beer was as black as night with a tan head like a good stout should. What a smell! Floral cascades mixing with the aroma of dark, rich chocolate. I can’t express how rich great the chocolate smelled. The only thing that could have made the nose of the beer better was if there was a toastiness. It would be impossible to miss the bittersweet chocolate ganache flavor of this beer. It’s not too sweet, just like dark chocolate should be. Hop flavor mixed well with the cocoa, and there was a complimenting hop bitterness and charcoal notes throughout. As the beer warmed the beer was creamier in the mouth and the hop flavor became more pronounced.

This was my favorite chocolate-containing beer (Brooklyn uses no chocolate in theirs). Much more assertive hop and grain flavors make this a more enjoyable stout than Young's IMO.

yen157, Jan 14, 2003
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

My first experience with Rogue Choco....it pours a rich, dark brown color, producing a thin, fine tan head. Said-head stays quite thin, and leaves an exemplary touch o' lace! There is an overwhelming chocolate lean to the nose. BIG time!!! Some mocha presents itself, too. This stout is pretty smooth on the tongue, and though above medium body-wise, I felt it could have more oomph there. I know that Rogue has a Mocha Porter, but I pick up huge mocha notes mingled amongst the chocolate here. This bier is very different from most stouts, which are more coffee-like, roasty and drier. It really tastes unlike any stout I can recently recall. Quite nice!!

overall: 4.1
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

Bierman9, Jan 12, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Chocolate!

Beer pours black as night topped with a creamy smooth, dessert-like tan head. Big time chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt aromas exploding out of the beer. Later on, the aroma reminded me more of a really nice chocolate milkshake. The flavor meets the expectation groundwork laid down by the aroma and appearance. CHOCOLATE! That's what this beer is all about. Dessert malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors with a great mouthfeel to boot. This isn't an overly sweet beer either, but nicely balanced. Next time I'm going to bust out some strawberries with this beer for an experiment in decadence.

comat0se, Jan 11, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer is black. It is topped with a medium sized dark brown head. It dwindles to an edging within a minute. Smells like dry cocoa powder, coffee and milk chocolate. Right up front, I get the Nestle Quick like chocolate flavor on the palette. There are other flavors at work as well. Burnt tones, bitter hops, roasted barley and oat. Body is full. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. A flavorful beer to be sure. The chocolate actually isn't as overbearing as I thought at first.

Gotta give props to ZAP, Budgood1 and Road Warrior for the combined effort to bring this beer to my presence.

Bighuge, Jan 01, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Of the Chocolate stouts I have tried, this one has the strongest chocolate taste, by far. The color is deep brown, with a brown head and no lacing. The smell hits from the minute you open the bottle - chocolate, hops, coffee. The difference with the smell here is that everything smelled fresh, I just wasn't just picking up scents, I was really smelling these things - strong. The taste was chocolatey, with more maltiness than the hops smell would indicate. The beer is really smooth, but seems low on carbonation. Overall, a great beer, but the sweetness and strength of flavor do lower my score for drinkability.

doho95fu, Jan 01, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I am just wrapping up tasting about a dozen of Rogue's beer and this along with the Imperial Stout, Shakespeare Stout, and I2PA are the cream of the crop...

For a chocolate stout the nose is surprisingly devoid of huge cocoa characteristics..more of a nestle quick milk chocolate nose, but also a huge breeze of fresh hops..and a hint of herbal/leather/earthy notes...it looks like I'd expect it to look dark black with a tinge of ruby red on the lace...Mouthfeel is about perfect...creamy...smooth..maybe a tich thin, but for this kind of stout it is probably right on the button...

I think the taste is exceptional...sweet milk chocolate but not overdone...also a nice herbal/leathery hop finsih that adds a real nice characteristic to this beer....

This isn't perfect but it is very close...I still like Youngs a tad better personally but this might be a better made beer...Young's has a bigger chocolate flavor and has very little hop bite...this is more complex and should be a must try for Beer Coniseurs around the globe...

ZAP, Dec 27, 2002
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

a beautiful black pour with a nice tan head atop this fine stout. you get a great smell of coffee, chocolate, and a little caramel .

the beer is extremely rich and smooth with a wonderful full body and full flavor. dark malts and coffee flavors take over in the taste of this beer. you will get chocolate kicks here and there, but nowhere near what i had expected. i will say that let me down a little bit. the beer was excellent, but i want more chocolate.

ElGuapo, Dec 25, 2002
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This is an absolutely kick-ass stout, yet I have to start by saying I was a bit disappointed in the chocolate flavor, I was hoping for a little more. Thats the only flaw I found. Pours nearly black with a thin brown head, and smells of hops and chocolate.

I was impressed with the fact that a chocolate stout managed to have a nice hoppy flavor in addition to everything else going on in this brew. The hops and bitterness seemed to hit me first, with some mild coffee flavors, then finishing with a great, mild chocolate flavor. This is a must have for any stout lover.

IrishRedRock, Dec 23, 2002
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Holy Willy Wonka, Batman! This beer delivers what it promises: chocolate. This is the darkest beer to my recollection. I held it up to a halogen light and could barely see a ruby tint. Anyway, the chocolate favor masks any other ale/stout characteristics.

If you're looking for a chocolate stout, this is your beer!

philipt, Dec 21, 2002
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Black, with a huge, dark brown, creamy head that sticks around to the very end. Nice aroma of slightly bitter dark chocolate, with a hint of hops as the brew warms. Flavor is just heavenly. This is the most authentic chocolate flavor I've ever encountered in a beer, and it doesn't stop there. Taste develops into a nice understated roasted malt, and finishes with just enough hops to let you know you're still drinking a beer. Finish has a nice mixture of bitterness from three different sources: the grains, the chocolate, and the hops. Really pleasant. Sweet, full-bodied with a decadently creamy mouthfeel. A truly outstanding beer.

mzwolinski, Dec 18, 2002
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Color was black (opaque) with a thick, rising brown head. Rich sweet chocolatey and malt aroma. Mouthfeel was smooth and very full-bodied. Roasted malt and luscious chocolate flavor dominates midtones. Natural chocolate used in brewing really sets this chocolate stout apart from others. Finish contains bitterness from the hops typical in most of the beers Rogue brews. That's about the only thing that was a slight turn-off. For such a sweet stout, I'm not sure the bitterness of the finish compliments the sweetness of the chocolate. Still it wasn't enough to detract from the overall great taste of this chocolate stout.

Winter, Dec 15, 2002
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

I have a thing for them cookie-chompin', liter-swillin hippie-chicks!

A little watery on the back end for a stout, but this ranks right up there for Rogue's "elegance" line of beers--the other being Hazelnut Brown Nectar. The way Meister Maier wields these extra ingredients, is truly masterful, in my opinion.

And what better way to whip up a REAL chick beer than A) to put a chick on the cover, and B) to put the word "chocolate" in the name of the beer. Genius! It's complete, rogue-ish, "Damn the torpedoes, we're making a real beer for the ladies!" kind of beer.

And best of all? Guys like it too!

Pours like a stout. Looks like a stout. Tastes like a stout. But it has yummy chocolate in it.

I bet a cookie would go good with this!

DarthMalt, Dec 12, 2002
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Arguably I think most fans of chocolate stout would agree that this one is among the better ones. Coffee black color. Colossal head, very thick and textured, hang on until the end. Sweet chocolate aroma. Crisp roasted mat and chocolate flavors. Crisp and clean finish. A treat!

Mick, Dec 12, 2002
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Dark opeque color with a nice thick mocha colored head. Dense and creamy. Chocolate milk scent (MMMMMM) with hints of hop bitterness and roast malt. Bitter dark chocolate taste sours slightly into a smooth roast coco sweetness. The finish is dry and hoppy. More hoppy than you would think. A wonderful after dinner drink.

PS.. Do not drink too cold let it sit and it will improve as it warms. Complex and satisfying.

frank4sail, Dec 06, 2002