Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,878 | Hads: 3,996
3.47/5  rDev -17.6%

A- Pours pretty dark brown, a bit of a light brownish head but not too much and dissipated quickly leaving just a bit of swirly light brown foam on top.

S - Smells strongly of chocolate and a hint of roastiness!

T- Something kind of overpowers the chocolate and roastiness. It was really bitter at first. It was a bit too much, more than I was expecting at least. I didn't think it went with the beer very well. Finished with nice bittersweet chocolate flavor though. I guess it got a little better over time too, but still couldn't really get past the initial bitterness that came with every sip.

M - This was good. Not overly carbonated or anything. Pretty light and smooth.

D- While it was decent overall, I probably won't be having it again. (750 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

First off, $5.99/bomber and 6% ABV. OK priced, a little high. Pours a nice, opaque ultra-dark brown to black. Wonderful head, about 4 fingers high, springs up and persists, leaving excellent lacing. Aroma is oaded, almost too much so, with chocolate. Actually, once it settles and warms a touch, it smells like hot chocolate. Some faint espresso notes and also a touch of hops in there, but dominated, almost to a fault, by hot chocolate. Maybe a little cinnamon hint also.

Flavor is a confusing mix of hot chocolate and tangy chocolate malt. At first it wants to be malty, then the initial tang burst gives way, one-two punch-like, to a rich chocoalte flavor. This then washes away and is replaced by the tanginess of the malt and some nice hop bitterness. Not too sweet, but there is some in there. Finish is super long and bitter from both the hops and, I think, the chocolate flavoring used. Kind of a jumble and sort of a mess. Not worth the price but it is unique.

What I like most: The beautiful pour.

What I like least: The confused flavor profile.

Verdict: Unique and robust, but not worth the price. Novelty only. (1,127 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a small plastic cup (unfortunately all that I had at the time).

1.5 finger head over a solid black-brown body. Head settled to a thin layer that stayed around a while. Lacing on the side of the glass.

Chocolatey scent over the head, as advertised. Not much else.

Taste: Bittersweet dark chocolate. More on the bitter side than the sweet side. Not too bad. The bottle label says 69 IBU.

Moderately strong carbonation.

Overall, perhaps a little too tart for my tastes, but it's not so extreme that I don't want to finish it. (560 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

One of the blackest pours that I've ever seen, with a small cocoa colored head. OK retention, fancy lacings.

Big chocolate smell. Sweet malts and molasses lend to a chocolate bar wrapper aroma. Some hints of vanilla as well.

The flavor is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Bitter chocolate, cocoa and coffee balance with earthy oatmeal, slight dough flavors. There is a pronounced bitter finish but not overly flavorful. The taste somewhat more bland than I imagined. Much better at room temperature but still somewhat watered down tasting.

Moderate carbonation, what I might expect from an ale. Not creamy in the least.

I went back to the bottle to look for a freshness date but none was to be found. I have to wonder if this is either stale or light damaged. I honestly could not finish the entire bottle, as it simply was not appealing to me in the least. I'm going to try a another bottle from a different state and re-review if there is a significant difference. Otherwise, I'm very unimpressed by this beer. (1,033 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with light tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smells like chocolate milk with a hint of toffee.

Taste follows smell. Lots of chocolate milk flavor. Toasted malt is there. Very little bitterness.

Mouthfeel is far too watery for me. Average carbonation.

Overall this was good but lacks complexity. (312 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

Served in a plastic tumbler.

Another revisiting from me during this stretch. It pours a garnet-tinged black-brown topped by a finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises, you guessed it, chocolate, along with some seemingly obligatory roasted malts. The taste merely sprinkles on the cocoa powder while simultaneously skimping on the roast as well. And, unfortunately, just like the smell, there ain't nuthin' else happenin' up in here. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, despite this being easy to drink, I really don't have much of an inclination to do so. It's not really bad (meaning offensive), but it's far from very good. (695 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

poured from a bomber into an oerbier glass.

deep brown color with a dark tan, 2 finger head on inital pour, head falls quick and lacing is thick at first. Smell is minor, getting very lite, almost hot chocolate smells, not as heavy as I expected.Tingaling on the tongue with a very nice chocolate after taste. This coming from someone that isn't a chocolate fan. Finish is a bit watery, slightly bitter. The roasted malt, smoky flavors really came out towards the end and when the beer warmed up. Not really my style, but I wouldn't turn one away if offered again. (565 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -19%

A: 3 finger brown creamy head. Pitch black color. Great lacing and head retention. 4.5

S: roasty upfront, dark and bittersweet chocolate notes, slight coffee, caramel, vanilla finish. 3.5

T: Chocolatey but very bitter at the end. No sweetness found.

M: Velevety and thick. Definitely and chew on it. Tongue drying but leaves mouth moist.

O: I liked this beer a lot. Not my favorite in the style but still really good beer. (428 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -19%

Pours a deep brown cola color with a two finger frothy khaki colored head. The head stays for a decent amount of time and leaves some lines of lace on the glass. The aroma is of a roasty malt backbone with the aroma of bitter chocolate coming through as well. The taste has a roasty malt backbone with a bitter chocolate taste up front and in the middle. The back end has a milk chocolate sweetness to it. The mouthfeel is smooth and lowly carbonated. Overall it is a decent stout, not best in class but it is good for what it is suppose to be. (544 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a standard pilsner glass.

A: Pours a jet black with a hue on the bottom where light barely gets through of the darkest brown possible. there is a 2 finger foamy/bubbly head that goes down after about a minute or two but does retain a small half finger of bubbly head for a few more minutes. Minimal lacing, but some circulated throughout the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, like sticking your nose in a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Rather pleasant.

T: Dark chocolate. Sweet but a tad bitter, like dark chocolate. It is a nice tasting stout that is dominant in the chocolate taste of course, but tastes like a stout nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: pretty full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth like a stout should be but heavier than anything i would call medium bodied.

O: I am not overly impressed with the stout. It is a nice chocolate stout, a sweet smell and dark chocolate taste provides some complexity and uniqueness, but it lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on. I just didn't love it and I would consider it a tad overrated given the scores on this site, but I would recommend giving it a try for sure. (1,149 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -19%

Deep black oily pour with a nice medium to small sized brown head. Smell is sweet milk chocolately. Pretty smooth tasting, with an obvious big flavor of chocolate up front, followed by a noticeable, but slight hop presence in the finish. Somewhat crisp carbonation. Rich and chocolately as expected and quite good, but very simple at the same time. Might have rated a bit higher had I been more in the mood for something dark and rich. (435 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured it into an english pint, two finger brown head and deep brown, almost black, opaque body. No light passing, not even at the edges. The head doesn't exactly maintain, but the lace is there. Looks like a stout to me.

Hard to pinpoint anything but a chocolate aroma. Defined and very deep, maybe just a hint of charred malts.

Chocolate. Again, the taste is distinct. Bitterness on the back combines with the light carbonation. Not too much of a bother, perhaps there to break up the strength of the cocoa. Not great, just what I'd expect really. Though, I must say I should have chilled this much longer.

Thick and smooth. Carbonation helps things along, really, without this might be chocolate syrup.

Should be much tougher because of the thickness, but all in all, it's alright. Not unusually easy, but not bad for a stout that I'd expect to be this heavy. (867 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

22 oz bomber. Poured into a Delrium tulip.

A: Black. Opaque. Really opaque-ly black. 2 fingers of mocha-colored head that fades down to a sheet of bubbles, leaving a solid film of lace.

S: Semi-sweet baker's chocolate. Can't smell much else.

T: Roasty. Big hit of bitter-sweet chocolate. A drying hop astringency at the end.

M: A bit of a fake-out here. Starts big with all the roastiness, but peters out pretty quickly. The hop bitterness in the end cuts the mouthfeel down sharply.

D: It's good, but not blowing up my skirts. I think I liked the Hazelnut Nectar a bit more. (580 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -20%

A: Dark brownish black, decent-sized tan head, very little lacing left behind.

S: Just lots of rich, sweet chocolate here.

T/M: Sweet chocolatey goodness up front, balanced out by some bitterness from the hops. Very little follow-through, though, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly thin and watery.

O: A decent, tasty, rather mild chocolate stout. Pretty good stuff, but could be lots better with some more body. (414 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: 22-ounce bomber. Dark, dark brown in color..very opaque. Very thin brown head even with a vigorous pour.

Smell: Nice smell of roasted coffee and obvious chocolate aroma.

Taste: Tastes strongly of dark chocolate and very apparent roasted flavor. The roasted malts are good, but maybe a little too much? I dunno, the taste just let me down a little given the other offerings I've had from Rogue. I didn't like the combination of bitter coffee and chocolate in this one and didn't enjoy the aftertaste. I think without the coffee bitterness, I would have enjoyed the taste a lot more.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation from this one, but the body is definitely fairly full. Soft, creamy finish.

Drinkability: The thick body and full flavors make this one beer you won't be drinking in large quantities.

Overall, I think other Rogues have spoiled me, because this didn't live up to my expectations like I hoped it would. Either way, I recommend it because it is still a great, very tasty chocolate stout...just not exactly to my taste. (1,054 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Ah, the chocolate stout. The classic dilemma of whether to go with the beer or just stick to an average chocolate bar and a shot of liquor.

But Rogue, obviously, doesn't think that this should be the case and instead provides an excellent alternative, if a bit safe.

Sure the chocolate smells, tastes, feel, and look are all over, but when it tastes like a thick stout with the texture of chocolate you don't hardly mind that this is such a weak (6.0) abv. I would drink again, and the moderate price makes this seem possible as a common beer for the festive season. (568 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

I have seen this beer in the fridge at work for months though never tried it. I decided to give her a go and purchased a 22oz bottle with my food. I poured the beer and it looked fantastic. I am a fan of stouts so I had high hopes. I took a whiff and the beer impressed me once again. It was only when I proceeded to take a taste that I realized that this was not my brew. The initial taste was delightful but then easily overpowered by strong hints of cocoa powder. I read the bottle and they hit the nail on the head by describing it as "chocolate truffle." Too choco for me. I would recommend to a friend. Merely for kicks- as a novelty beer. (645 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Sal's Bar and Liquor in Wash. Twp., NJ.
22 oz. bottle
Pint Glass

A: Poured black with a real dirty, off-white, fluffy, one finger head.

S: Some great scents: chocolate syrup, roasted coffee beans and toasted oats.

T: Not as sweet as the smell; very burnt and not as much chocolate as expected.

M: Not overly thick but bubbly and carbonated.

D: I was truly looking forward to this one for some time now but it came up a little short. I definitely want to try it on tap to get a second opinion. (513 characters)

22 oz bottle

Poured dark, dark brown with tan head

Smelled of chocolate (as the name would imply) and roasted malts.

Tasted of bitter chocolate, earthy hops, and roasted malts. fairly good balance, although slightly bitter for me.

fairly thick, but not oily and not too tongue coating.

Drinkability at 6% is very good, alcohol not dominant, but i am not a huge fan of the bitterness in this one. (403 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass

A: dark almost black 2 finger mocha head that slowly disapated, some lacing

S: chocolate and coffee

T: tasted like cold hot cocoa, slightly creamy, really sweet

M: Medium bodied, creamy, typical nice stout feel.

D: I just can't give a good score here, this is a beer thats good in moderation, and that's not due to the ABV. Its just to over the top chocolate rich, and the sweetness builds to a point you can't take it anymore. This is a brew that gives a very satisfying first impression that halfway thru has you thinking about your next selection. (599 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

This beer is fairly rich in flavor, but not thick in flow. Easy to drink, and it has a distinct hint of chocolate, but it is slightly tart as though there are grapes or something hidden in the shaddows. Very enjoyable beer, but the aftertaste is very undesireable. (264 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -20.7%

Aroma - Roasted malts like crystal malts to be specific.

Appearance - Dark brown with a brown tan head that quickly dissipated.

Taste - Roasted malt and then tons of bitter hops and chocolate. Maybe too much bitterness for my taste. I think I'm too sensitive to hops to enjoy this beer. Not enough of the roasted malts to redeem this for me.

Notes - Good mouthfeel with a decent level of carbonation. (403 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet. Initial pour is a dark brownish black with a tan head. Smells like...well, chocolate. Not too strong, however. Tastes of chocolate malts, much more bitter than sweet though. Would really like more sweetness. Very thin in the mouth. I couldn't drink more than a couple of these in a night...just a little too bitter for my taste. (372 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

Originally sampled on 3 February 2003. I am writng this review from my notes.
Appearance: This pours Jet black w/ a tan head.
Mouthfeel: My initial sips brought some unpleasant bite to the roof of my mouth, but those ceased after a few minutes. It is Definitely loaded with a lot of chocolate flavor.
Those initial unpleasant flavors lowered this review for me. I'll have to try it again in the future (407 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

appearance - a dark chocolate.chocolate.

smell - verry much like a cup o' hot chocolate.

taste - complex and deep with a slight coffie tinge to this sweet chocolate stout.

mouthfell- nice and thick

drinkability - I myself rate this verry high, and if you are a fan of this genre, you proaly will too...but if not you may find it to ba a bit to sweet. (362 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales