Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,885 | Hads: 4,040
3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

A used motor oil brown pour, with very little head present and no lacing. Overly roasted choclate malts, oats, malt ball, cream and sweet vanilla abstract and used coffe grounds make up the aroma.

The mouth of this beer is very austere to me. There are some sharp edges I think need straightening but I feel this way about all of Rouges darker brews. Almost like a low end mocha latte. And I say low end because of the coffee taste, which reminds me of either used rinds or a cheap folgers or maxwell house type blend. Overly choclate hops and oaty flavors and very unsweetened. Roasted malts, cream, cassis, and a slight background hop, and maybe some burnt marshmallow.

This beer leaves a very tannic mouthfeel with a long choclate finish. Too choaclaty for my liking; making this a one beer and done for me.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Reviewed 4/21/2006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a black/very dark brown color, Big thick head-tan, good sized bubbles, slowly diminishing, like a good stout should be. Strong aroma of hops, chocolate, nuts, very interesting aroma. Strong chocolate malt taste, semi-bitter taste, overall pretty smooth flavor.

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Pours thick and black with no visible carbonation.

Smell: Is my sniffer broke? I don't smell anything! Maybe a hint of chocolate but I have to bury my nose in there just to get anything.

Taste: All chocolate. Nothing else. No malt, no hop bitterness. Just like drinking chocolate milk.

Overall impression: A good beer but very one dimensional. I liked it for a dessert but it just didn't scratch my beer itch.

If you are in to stouts, try it once. But that's about all you need to do with this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a bomber into a mug.

This brew looks good, it's a nice deep brown color with a large head. The smell is that of just an everyday stout. And the taste is that too. I mean, it's really just straight up Guinness Extra Stout-esque, in both taste and (thin) body. It's not bad, but get Guinness Extra Stout and save four bucks.

Bottled, consumed 01/03/08.

Almost-black pour creates a lingering dark tan head. Aromas are red wine like fruit and, you guessed it, chocolate. Mouthfeel is unremarkable. The flavor is strong bitter chocolate/cocoa that grows more defined as the beer goes down. Slight sweetness totally conquered by big bitter flavor. Oats mellow the flavor somewhat, but only a little.

Not really my bag.

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Deep brown pour with a big bubbly brown head. Retention is phenomenal as a thick cap sits atop the liquidy beneath.

S: Dark chocolate smell that seems a bit watered down. Not really much else going on.

T: The seems a bit strange to me. A lot of roasted malts up front, followed by the deep dark chocolate. Not a lot of sweetness to balance it out though. The flavor hits you and then sort of just drops right off.

MF: Medium to heavy body with great carbonation. I wish this beer was a bit "fuller." The 6% ABV is a bit limiting.

O: For a beer that is literally available everywhere, you can't go wrong here. If you're looking for something to blow you away, keep going.

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%

Bomber. Pours a very black color, moderate tan head that doesn't last long. Chocolate, malty aroma, although not all that strong. The flavor is pretty nice with dark chocolate right away with subtle malts and bitter hop notes following. This seems more like a dessert. Hell, maybe it can be. I can't drink too many of these chocolate beers though. A simple 12 ounce would have been fine.

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%

A- Pours pretty dark brown, a bit of a light brownish head but not too much and dissipated quickly leaving just a bit of swirly light brown foam on top.

S - Smells strongly of chocolate and a hint of roastiness!

T- Something kind of overpowers the chocolate and roastiness. It was really bitter at first. It was a bit too much, more than I was expecting at least. I didn't think it went with the beer very well. Finished with nice bittersweet chocolate flavor though. I guess it got a little better over time too, but still couldn't really get past the initial bitterness that came with every sip.

M - This was good. Not overly carbonated or anything. Pretty light and smooth.

D- While it was decent overall, I probably won't be having it again.

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

First off, $5.99/bomber and 6% ABV. OK priced, a little high. Pours a nice, opaque ultra-dark brown to black. Wonderful head, about 4 fingers high, springs up and persists, leaving excellent lacing. Aroma is oaded, almost too much so, with chocolate. Actually, once it settles and warms a touch, it smells like hot chocolate. Some faint espresso notes and also a touch of hops in there, but dominated, almost to a fault, by hot chocolate. Maybe a little cinnamon hint also.

Flavor is a confusing mix of hot chocolate and tangy chocolate malt. At first it wants to be malty, then the initial tang burst gives way, one-two punch-like, to a rich chocoalte flavor. This then washes away and is replaced by the tanginess of the malt and some nice hop bitterness. Not too sweet, but there is some in there. Finish is super long and bitter from both the hops and, I think, the chocolate flavoring used. Kind of a jumble and sort of a mess. Not worth the price but it is unique.

What I like most: The beautiful pour.

What I like least: The confused flavor profile.

Verdict: Unique and robust, but not worth the price. Novelty only.

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a small plastic cup (unfortunately all that I had at the time).

1.5 finger head over a solid black-brown body. Head settled to a thin layer that stayed around a while. Lacing on the side of the glass.

Chocolatey scent over the head, as advertised. Not much else.

Taste: Bittersweet dark chocolate. More on the bitter side than the sweet side. Not too bad. The bottle label says 69 IBU.

Moderately strong carbonation.

Overall, perhaps a little too tart for my tastes, but it's not so extreme that I don't want to finish it.

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

One of the blackest pours that I've ever seen, with a small cocoa colored head. OK retention, fancy lacings.

Big chocolate smell. Sweet malts and molasses lend to a chocolate bar wrapper aroma. Some hints of vanilla as well.

The flavor is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Bitter chocolate, cocoa and coffee balance with earthy oatmeal, slight dough flavors. There is a pronounced bitter finish but not overly flavorful. The taste somewhat more bland than I imagined. Much better at room temperature but still somewhat watered down tasting.

Moderate carbonation, what I might expect from an ale. Not creamy in the least.

I went back to the bottle to look for a freshness date but none was to be found. I have to wonder if this is either stale or light damaged. I honestly could not finish the entire bottle, as it simply was not appealing to me in the least. I'm going to try a another bottle from a different state and re-review if there is a significant difference. Otherwise, I'm very unimpressed by this beer.

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with light tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smells like chocolate milk with a hint of toffee.

Taste follows smell. Lots of chocolate milk flavor. Toasted malt is there. Very little bitterness.

Mouthfeel is far too watery for me. Average carbonation.

Overall this was good but lacks complexity.

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Served in a plastic tumbler.

Another revisiting from me during this stretch. It pours a garnet-tinged black-brown topped by a finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises, you guessed it, chocolate, along with some seemingly obligatory roasted malts. The taste merely sprinkles on the cocoa powder while simultaneously skimping on the roast as well. And, unfortunately, just like the smell, there ain't nuthin' else happenin' up in here. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, despite this being easy to drink, I really don't have much of an inclination to do so. It's not really bad (meaning offensive), but it's far from very good.

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

poured from a bomber into an oerbier glass.

deep brown color with a dark tan, 2 finger head on inital pour, head falls quick and lacing is thick at first. Smell is minor, getting very lite, almost hot chocolate smells, not as heavy as I expected.Tingaling on the tongue with a very nice chocolate after taste. This coming from someone that isn't a chocolate fan. Finish is a bit watery, slightly bitter. The roasted malt, smoky flavors really came out towards the end and when the beer warmed up. Not really my style, but I wouldn't turn one away if offered again.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

A: 3 finger brown creamy head. Pitch black color. Great lacing and head retention. 4.5

S: roasty upfront, dark and bittersweet chocolate notes, slight coffee, caramel, vanilla finish. 3.5

T: Chocolatey but very bitter at the end. No sweetness found.

M: Velevety and thick. Definitely and chew on it. Tongue drying but leaves mouth moist.

O: I liked this beer a lot. Not my favorite in the style but still really good beer.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a deep brown cola color with a two finger frothy khaki colored head. The head stays for a decent amount of time and leaves some lines of lace on the glass. The aroma is of a roasty malt backbone with the aroma of bitter chocolate coming through as well. The taste has a roasty malt backbone with a bitter chocolate taste up front and in the middle. The back end has a milk chocolate sweetness to it. The mouthfeel is smooth and lowly carbonated. Overall it is a decent stout, not best in class but it is good for what it is suppose to be.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured into a standard pilsner glass.

A: Pours a jet black with a hue on the bottom where light barely gets through of the darkest brown possible. there is a 2 finger foamy/bubbly head that goes down after about a minute or two but does retain a small half finger of bubbly head for a few more minutes. Minimal lacing, but some circulated throughout the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, like sticking your nose in a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Rather pleasant.

T: Dark chocolate. Sweet but a tad bitter, like dark chocolate. It is a nice tasting stout that is dominant in the chocolate taste of course, but tastes like a stout nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: pretty full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth like a stout should be but heavier than anything i would call medium bodied.

O: I am not overly impressed with the stout. It is a nice chocolate stout, a sweet smell and dark chocolate taste provides some complexity and uniqueness, but it lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on. I just didn't love it and I would consider it a tad overrated given the scores on this site, but I would recommend giving it a try for sure.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Deep black oily pour with a nice medium to small sized brown head. Smell is sweet milk chocolately. Pretty smooth tasting, with an obvious big flavor of chocolate up front, followed by a noticeable, but slight hop presence in the finish. Somewhat crisp carbonation. Rich and chocolately as expected and quite good, but very simple at the same time. Might have rated a bit higher had I been more in the mood for something dark and rich.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured it into an english pint, two finger brown head and deep brown, almost black, opaque body. No light passing, not even at the edges. The head doesn't exactly maintain, but the lace is there. Looks like a stout to me.

Hard to pinpoint anything but a chocolate aroma. Defined and very deep, maybe just a hint of charred malts.

Chocolate. Again, the taste is distinct. Bitterness on the back combines with the light carbonation. Not too much of a bother, perhaps there to break up the strength of the cocoa. Not great, just what I'd expect really. Though, I must say I should have chilled this much longer.

Thick and smooth. Carbonation helps things along, really, without this might be chocolate syrup.

Should be much tougher because of the thickness, but all in all, it's alright. Not unusually easy, but not bad for a stout that I'd expect to be this heavy.

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

22 oz bomber. Poured into a Delrium tulip.

A: Black. Opaque. Really opaque-ly black. 2 fingers of mocha-colored head that fades down to a sheet of bubbles, leaving a solid film of lace.

S: Semi-sweet baker's chocolate. Can't smell much else.

T: Roasty. Big hit of bitter-sweet chocolate. A drying hop astringency at the end.

M: A bit of a fake-out here. Starts big with all the roastiness, but peters out pretty quickly. The hop bitterness in the end cuts the mouthfeel down sharply.

D: It's good, but not blowing up my skirts. I think I liked the Hazelnut Nectar a bit more.

3.37/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Dark brownish black, decent-sized tan head, very little lacing left behind.

S: Just lots of rich, sweet chocolate here.

T/M: Sweet chocolatey goodness up front, balanced out by some bitterness from the hops. Very little follow-through, though, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly thin and watery.

O: A decent, tasty, rather mild chocolate stout. Pretty good stuff, but could be lots better with some more body.

3.37/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance: 22-ounce bomber. Dark, dark brown in color..very opaque. Very thin brown head even with a vigorous pour.

Smell: Nice smell of roasted coffee and obvious chocolate aroma.

Taste: Tastes strongly of dark chocolate and very apparent roasted flavor. The roasted malts are good, but maybe a little too much? I dunno, the taste just let me down a little given the other offerings I've had from Rogue. I didn't like the combination of bitter coffee and chocolate in this one and didn't enjoy the aftertaste. I think without the coffee bitterness, I would have enjoyed the taste a lot more.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation from this one, but the body is definitely fairly full. Soft, creamy finish.

Drinkability: The thick body and full flavors make this one beer you won't be drinking in large quantities.

Overall, I think other Rogues have spoiled me, because this didn't live up to my expectations like I hoped it would. Either way, I recommend it because it is still a great, very tasty chocolate stout...just not exactly to my taste.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Ah, the chocolate stout. The classic dilemma of whether to go with the beer or just stick to an average chocolate bar and a shot of liquor.

But Rogue, obviously, doesn't think that this should be the case and instead provides an excellent alternative, if a bit safe.

Sure the chocolate smells, tastes, feel, and look are all over, but when it tastes like a thick stout with the texture of chocolate you don't hardly mind that this is such a weak (6.0) abv. I would drink again, and the moderate price makes this seem possible as a common beer for the festive season.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

I have seen this beer in the fridge at work for months though never tried it. I decided to give her a go and purchased a 22oz bottle with my food. I poured the beer and it looked fantastic. I am a fan of stouts so I had high hopes. I took a whiff and the beer impressed me once again. It was only when I proceeded to take a taste that I realized that this was not my brew. The initial taste was delightful but then easily overpowered by strong hints of cocoa powder. I read the bottle and they hit the nail on the head by describing it as "chocolate truffle." Too choco for me. I would recommend to a friend. Merely for kicks- as a novelty beer.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Sal's Bar and Liquor in Wash. Twp., NJ.
22 oz. bottle
Pint Glass

A: Poured black with a real dirty, off-white, fluffy, one finger head.

S: Some great scents: chocolate syrup, roasted coffee beans and toasted oats.

T: Not as sweet as the smell; very burnt and not as much chocolate as expected.

M: Not overly thick but bubbly and carbonated.

D: I was truly looking forward to this one for some time now but it came up a little short. I definitely want to try it on tap to get a second opinion.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales