Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,881 | Hads: 4,020
3.34/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet. Initial pour is a dark brownish black with a tan head. Smells like...well, chocolate. Not too strong, however. Tastes of chocolate malts, much more bitter than sweet though. Would really like more sweetness. Very thin in the mouth. I couldn't drink more than a couple of these in a night...just a little too bitter for my taste.

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Originally sampled on 3 February 2003. I am writng this review from my notes.
Appearance: This pours Jet black w/ a tan head.
Mouthfeel: My initial sips brought some unpleasant bite to the roof of my mouth, but those ceased after a few minutes. It is Definitely loaded with a lot of chocolate flavor.
Those initial unpleasant flavors lowered this review for me. I'll have to try it again in the future

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

appearance - a dark chocolate.chocolate.

smell - verry much like a cup o' hot chocolate.

taste - complex and deep with a slight coffie tinge to this sweet chocolate stout.

mouthfell- nice and thick

drinkability - I myself rate this verry high, and if you are a fan of this genre, you proaly will too...but if not you may find it to ba a bit to sweet.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

This poured a very dark brown, almost black with a substantial cafe au lait head. It had a sweet, chocolate odor. The taste was a little off-putting. It was very sweet, almost too sweet for me, and had a pronounced chocolate taste, It felt very carbonated in my mouth, and wasn't as substantial as I expected.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Took the bottle from the fridge and poured it right into a clean glass. Completely black with a big brown head. Great head retention and lacing. Almost odorless, which was strange. May have been a hint of chocolate in the smell, or it could just be in my mind because of the name. Medium carbonation with a medium/full body. Seemed a little bland for a stout, but the little bit of flavor that was there was very nice. I could certainly taste the chocolate and roasted malts. Good balance of hops too. No taste of alcohol present. Overall, a slightly above average stout that's very drinkable. I'm still stumped by the lack of smell, though, which really brings the score down for this one.

Bottled: Unk

A: Pours a nice dark brown ale with a single finger of fine latte head. This dissipates over several minutes to a thick sheet of the same. cobweb lacing. Excellent clarity when one can see light.

S: Milk chocolate, cocoa, dark malts. Sweet, raisins, some hints of prune. Slightest metallic scent. A little yeast on the finish.

T: Nose>taste. Dry, dirty, slightly bitter. Some coffee grounds. The milk chocolate is left behind and only the bittersweet baker's chocolate is left in the finish. For a stout the flavors don't add up to much IMO.

M: Medium to thin with moderate carbonation. Would like to see more creaminess in the body, a bit too dry on the palate.

O: Everything seems to go great until the taste, then things don't go so well. I think the flavor is a bit one-dimensional and fails to highlight the chocolate as adverted. The body is thin and forgetful. Not a beer of fame for me.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

My wife and I have tried this one several times,including buying it from the local Whole Foods where it is kept cold, and well it has been bitter every time -so it is either my wife and I's taste buds or just the way this one is. Everything else about it is pretty good - juts always seems to be bitter.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

A: Was a very nice and typical black with a creamy head. Reduced down quickly to a very thin fingernail.

S: Smelled like coffee, chocolate, and cloves.

T: Really strong chocolate - very bitter. Mild coffee flavor, weak on the malts. The bitter chocolate was very over-powering and kinda killed the normally yummy malts.

M: Was good mouthfeel for a stout. I liked the thickness of it.

D: Was pretty good with food. Wasn't that fantastic by itself.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Draught at The Red in Santa Cruz. Black with a dense tan head. The aroma is super chocolate powered; leaning a little toward the dark side, but still milky and creamy. The flavor takes that and adds in a roasted bitterness that doesn't completely blend, but works out alright. The body is a little thin, but pretty smooth. This is a really nice smelling beer, with a pretty good flavor to back it up, but the chocolate and roasted malt don't seem to gel as well as they could

3.29/5  rDev -21.5%

This nice-looking stout pours thick and creamy, with a medium-sized dark-tan head that is populated by large bubbles. It dies off quickly, leaving almost no lacing. It looks completely opaque, even when held to the light.
I took one whiff and immediately fell in love; almost completely chocolate, but smooth milk-chocolate, not overpowering. A very light malty nose, with hints of hazelnut and coffee. I was excited to try it and hoped the sweet smell didn’t leave me disappointed.
I hate to say it, folks. I was. I’ve come to expect great thins from Rogue, and everyone else seems to be in that boat. The sweet, chocolaty smell led me to believe it would be a bit sweeter than it was. I know, I know it’s a stout, and should be treated as such, but the first thing I noticed was the bitter and highly carbonated mouthfeel. It was dry, smoky, with less chocolate than I was expecting. It most closely resembled chewing on a coffee bean; more bitter than anything. The feel wasn’t flat, but rather the taste. I thought I must have served it too cold so I waited a few minutes. And waited. And waited….and still, an even slight sweetness wasn’t there. I suppose it got slightly sweeter after a few minutes, but it was more or less flat tastes of bitter cocoa, oat, alcohol and coffee. It wasn’t very rich.
I’m not writing off Rogue by any means. It could be a bad bottle; I might have served it incorrectly. I don’t know, but I have to admit I was hoping for a little bit more drinkable beer.

3.29/5  rDev -21.5%

Reviewed January 1, 2012. Poured a 650 mL bottle into a mug.

A: This poured quite an interesting head, the head was thickly carbonated with over 4 fingers in size. This poured black, but it seemed almost like a black molasses color. Laces quite amazingly.

S: This has a strong chocolate malt smell. The head that stays strong is odd in the smell that it adds because its almost bubbly (to an extent soapy). The chocolate malt oddly comes in strongest during the swallow of the drink.

T: This carries an odd taste in that it's not really sweet. This was a drink that I've heard praise about its chocolatey goodness, but it's not at all what I was hoping for. This carries like a powdery chocolatey taste, extremely malty almost like a fountain malt shake.

M: This hits the tongue heavily carbonated (almost like a soda), but then it transforms into a full bodied thick drink. This definitely carries a nice creamy thickness.

O: I'm not quite sure that this is rated as high as it is. This as a decent taste and all, but it doesn't really feel like a beer. The taste are simply to simple in this.

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

Served this at just about cellar temperature, into a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Appearance: This one pours out a deep midnight black, that looks to be like a spent motor oil, and not a single ray of light could pass through. About two and a half fingers of mocha brown head formed. Head was thick and creamy and just seemed to hang there forever. Great head retention leaves generous gobs of thick lace behind.

Smell: Aroma is thick with milky chocolate, some roasted/toasted malts and oat aromas. A bit of licorice and brown sugar are in there as well along with a hint of hops. The aroma of this beer is quite strong.

Taste: I really prefer the smell of this beer to the taste. The choclate isn't really rich and creamy like it is in the smell, and has an almost burnt flavor to it. A bit of coffee and caramel come out from the background. A rich maltiness with just a touch of hops. Not quite what I expected, I guess my expectations were set a bit high.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is very thin. No chewiness or thickness here. Almost watery.

Drinkability: Decent drinkability, but lacking some body here. A very middle of the road in my opinion.

3.27/5  rDev -22%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Pitch black color. Two fingers of brown head, which starts out really foamy and dies down to frothy. Good retention and lots of lacing.

4.5 S: Nose is full of bittersweet chocolate. Real chocolate, not artificial. I feel like I'm in Hershey, PA. Pretty one dimensional, but it's a good dimension.

3.0 T: Taste is a huge letdown. The burst of chocolate in the nose is nowhere as strong as I expected or would have liked. I would liken it to drinking a Coke with ice and letting all the ice melt. The diluted coke is worse than either coke or water. Thus, this beer would be better if the chocolate were ramped up or completely removed. Suprisingly bitter and much less malty than I would have expected.

2.5 M: Light body, which is the exact opposite of what I would want in a chocolate beer. A bit overly carbonated too. Not creamy at all.

2.5 D: Based on the appearance and smell I was expecting something akin to ST Choklat. The taste and mouthfeel eliminated that thought on the first sip. This is a bad beer, which could easily be salvaged by ramping up the chocolate flavors and thickening the mouthfeel.

3.26/5  rDev -22.2%

22 ounce bottle. Almost opaque black with a lasting frothy light brown head. Nice looking. Pretty light on the aroma side. The chocolate comes of like obvious extract to me. Theres some slight coffee, and a good punch of hops in the flavor. Palate is okay. easy to drink. Not something I'd want to drink again though.

22oz bomber from Martignetti's

Appearance = Beautiful dark, ruby brown, close to black as you can get. Great 1.5'' head, thick and creamy, faded to 1/4'', decent lacing.

Smell = Deep, dark chocolate with robust toasted malt. Fainter and lighter than expeected but what's there is good. I expected it to be much more intense.

Taste = Disappointing given the hype. Chocolate is there but overwhelmed by a sourness that drowns out the other flavors.While I like hoppy flavors this sourness feels wrong on every level, especially in this particular style. This feels like a mismatch that isn't balanced. It's not bad though with average taste and drinkability but very disappotining given the huge expectations. The mouthfeel is also thin and watery, not what I'd expect from a stout.

Overall = An OK stout that I draink with apathy. I can't really recommend it, , but it's worth a try for stout fans.

3.26/5  rDev -22.2%

I think I got a bad bottle or something, cause I got no choclate in this whole beer. The most I got was a heavy bite from hops, which I don't care for too much. I have had the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout and that blows this one away, as far as balanced out malts and hops, as well as taste. This one was way too hoppy for me and had little balance. I got very little malts in it at all, which was a huge let down. The best thing about this brew, for me, was the apperance. This is simply one of the best looking beers you will ever see. Nice head retention and super dark color. The color was so beautiful, I couldn't see through it, so that's a plus in my book. Other than that, this was below average, as far as chocolate stouts go. I couldn't finish the bomber, and that says a lot to me.

3.24/5  rDev -22.7%

Received from tap with shallow head, super dark, not much color when held up to light either.

Smell was faint of burnt coffee and chocolate, minimal aromas leaping off pint. Even after a few swirls I felt the smell could've stood out a bit more.

Very clean, chocolate is immediate with hints of roasted coffee. The bitterness reminded me of unsweetened bakers chocolate rather than any hops. Bitterness was medium on the finish but left a chocolate-coffee aftertaste.

Medium/Heavy body with a typical stout palate coating to the tongue. The creaminess was nice and went down pretty easily.

It paired well with dessert but wouldn't consider as a session beer or anything outside of a dinner/dessert beer.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours dark brown with a fluffy tan head and some sediment. Aroma is basically just sweet chocolate, can't smell much else. Not a fan of the taste, it's mostly chocolate cocoa and a little burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is a little light but decent enough. Overall this one was a let down, I'd prefer it if it wasn't completely dominated by the chocolate.

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%

As a rule I'm not the biggest fan of Rogue brews. Not because they make bad beer, on the contrary, their beer is pretty good. I'm not the biggest Rogue fan because I believe they are not living up to their potential. Rogue makes a staggeringly large array of beers, in just about every style. They use unique ingredients and bold flavorful malts that generally make their beer pretty good. But that's just it, Rogue makes good beer, but I think they could be making great beer. There is almost always one thing about each of their beers that doesn't agree with my sensibilities. Sometimes it's a thin body, or sometimes a funny flavor that lingers through the aftertaste.
Chocolate Stout is a beer that is changing my mind about Rogue. This beer is a strange brew that is oddly satisfying. The beer pours a deep black with a dark tan head and a profound aroma of cocoa. This beer hit me on three distinct levels with every sip. Like clockwork: one, two, three. The first taste is a deep rich bitter chocolate mixed with a vague toasted malt and coffee flavor. The dark chocolate gives way almost immediately to a tart liquid-citrus in the middle taste which again leaves quickly. The final stage of the taste for me is the most interesting. The easy drinking citrus disappears into a smooth aftertaste that I can only really describe as tasting like a boozy version of Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink. This beer is a vehicle for chocolate and the chocolate is definitely the star. I don't know that I could drink more than one of these at a time, but as a dessert, this beer works wonders.
Every time I discount Rogue beers, they seem to come up with another one that gives me hope. I hope they continue experimenting to come up with more beer that truly lives up to their potential.

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Portion of a 22 oz bottle into a regular glass.

A: Pours a dark burgundy color with good opacity. The head is a two finger mocha shade. Good lacing is left down the glass.

S: There's a decent chocolate character backed by some roasted malts and citrusy hops. The chocolate is sweet, though a touch off putting. Far from bad, though.

T: Chocolate gives way to a roasted barley finish, laced with some bitter hops. It strikes a better balance than the double version. All in all, the flavor profile is simple, but not cloying.

M: It's dry and light...at first. This initial sensation cleanses the chocolate sweetness well, however it doesn't fully clean it up. Therefore, it strikes me as unfocused, as it's caught between 'dessert beer' or 'drinkable dry stout'.

O: This would make a rock-solid everyday stout if it were A) in 6 packs and B) less expensive. It's still a decent offering, and better than the double.

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. Rogue does not print freshness info on the bottle.

Not the rich, sweet, smooth beer taste I was expecting based on the aroma. Did I get an old bottle? There was little to no sweetness. This beer needs better balance. A disappointment for me. You should try this beer if you are a stout fan, which I am, but not again for me.

A – Pours a clear reddish brown with a one-finger rocky tan head.

S - Milk chocolate, followed by coffee with some sweetness.

T – Coffee, some roasted bitterness, a bit of alcohol, a bit thin (-)

MF – Thin, dry, a little astringent (-), minerally.

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

22oz bottle into Delirium Tremens glass. Split with friends.

A: Pours a flat black with thick dark brown head that slowly faded into a thin film that left a million specs of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Dominant whiffs of dark chocolate with a hint of smoke and grassy hops.
T: Not as potent as I was expecting. Smooth hints of chocolate and coco with a light grassiness to the finish. Aftertaste has a touch of smoke.
M: Rather watery actually. The body is a bit disappointing but this beer is still smooth and the carbonation is milky and creamy.
D: Not a bad stout, but I'm not sure if it is top 100 worthy. Definitely an easy drinker, but in my opinion there are much better.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

650 ml bottle, "Made with imported chocolate" stamped on bottle.

Pours almost black with a foamy tan head that descends to a thin cover.

The smell is of sweet chocolate with some cherry notes.

The taste is of bittersweet chocolate truffle upfront. Slightly chalky. Some metallic/plastic notes. Opposite of descriptiion - start off sweeter and ends more bitter. Not too fond of the way the Cascade hops work together with the dark malt and chocolate.

The feel is a bit thinner than expected, but holds up decently. Doesn't quite coat the mouth the way I would like it to.

I love chocolate and stouts, but this one doesn't thrill me. I much prefer the Shakespeare Stout.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

A overpowering strong chocolate impression that doesnt go the route of cloying sweetness and surupy, cool. This happens by using a more roasted coco powder format then a nestle sweet style like Choklat and other personally offensive beers. So take roasted oat flavors and light hoppy brightness and use it to tame cut through the sweetness, this is the lesson other brewers need to learn too.

A decent bomber to pick up to try, it's enjoyable.

3.19/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed live. Reviewed as an American Stout because it self-identifies as a chocolate stout and it's American. Okay label art. "Made with imported chocolate." 69 IBU. 15 degrees plato. 650ml brown glass bottle with standard branded pry-off cap acquired at a local Vons grocery in Santa Monica for $3.99 and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average since it's on the beers of fame.

Served chilled, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of khaki-tan colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Little lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is well above average - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable solid opaque black; dark but not a jet black per se. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Standard fare for the style. Not unique or special. No obvious flaws.

Sm: Cocoa powder/dust, chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, buried light roast. Not getting any coffee, vanilla, or molasses. Hop character is present yet generic; hopping is primarily preservative here. Sweet. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An above average to mild strength aroma.

T: Dark malts and chocolate malts dominate, but there is a slight hint of roast just before the climax that dies almost immediately. Definitely on the sweeter end of the sweet/bitter spectrum. Stale cocoa dust. Oats. Fairly balanced, but there's room for improvement. Would definitely benefit from more complexity and subtlety. I do like it in a general sense. By no means mind-blowing. The chocolate itself isn't particularly rich or evocative; sort of a generic crumbly milk chocolate with heavy cocoa powder notes.

No coffee or vanilla. Lacks flavour diversity, depth, and intensity. Flavour duration is good.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and slightly soft. Good thickness. Nice creaminess for what it is. Good carbonation. Not biting, harsh, gushed, or oily. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Not syrupy. Decent body.

The soft texture is a highlight.

Dr: Very drinkable; I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle. Fairly priced at $4.00 USD per bottle; I'd definitely get it on-draught at this price. For a beer of fame though, it's not horribly impressive. A pretty decent offering from Rogue, but it's far from mind blowing. I wouldn't want more than one in any given night. Tasty but forgettable. Rogue makes better beers. Hides its ABV well.

High C+