Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,885 | Hads: 4,041
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a 650 ML bottle into a brandy snifter, this beer presented itself well. A deep dark burnt umber with a very decent mocha colored head that to some degree lingered to the end. Aroma of chocolate...period. The smell was pure chocolate and lacked the other nuances of a typically well done chocolate stout. Stir in a spoonful of dark coco into your next porter or stout and you'll get the idea. The taste was, frankly, disappointing. An unpleasant bitterness lingered after each sip. Once you get past the chocolate, you're kind of drinking a Guinness with a little more body. Whether this bitterness comes from bakers chocolate or a big shot of hops...or both, I couldn't tell. But to my palate, this stuff is unpleasant. The bitter aftertaste lasts until you brush your teeth. From previous reviews, I expected better. I'll take a Young's Double Chocolate, thank you.

2.94/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. It was black in color with slight carb but tons of lacing. It had a very large brown head that very, very slowly settled into a thick constant foam.

The aroma was very weak. I'm battling spring allergies so even had the wife take a sniff. We both had to really swirl the glass and then breath deep to get much. What was there was good. Cocoa and coffee mainly with some milk chocolate in the back. The taste was very disappointing. Chalky with a very bitter middle and end. I like bitter but this seemed out of place and the wrong bitter if that makes sense. Also getting a lot of watery taste as well. Normally, I'd chalk this up to a bad bottle but I tried this about 6 months ago and it tasted exactly the same. I didn't review it then because I thought it was a bad bottle but now I think that it's just the way it is. I really wanted to like this one as I love the style and it's readily accessible but really didn't enjoy. After half a bottle it really became a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment - see above for why. Could I possibly have had 2 bad bottles? Seems unlikely but I'm way off from other reviewers that normally I find a lot in common with. Since it's Rogue, I'll give it one more chance down the road. Unless dramatic improvement, one and done.

2.91/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

2.86/5  rDev -31.7%

Presentation: 650ml bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep brown/black, completely opaque in appearance. Pours with massive brown/tan head, which fades slowly to but a thin coating, leaving heavy lacing.

S- Chocolate syrup odor wafts up, and grassy hoppiness there if I bury my nose deep.

T- Starts off bland with a burnt coffee finish. I was too impatient, perhaps, and needed to let it warm. As it warms, vague hints of chocolate appear (still less prominent than expected), and the coffee finish mellows substantially. Still disappointed.

M- Medium/light....thinner than I had hoped.

D- Eh....ok. Not too heavy, but I can't imagine even a fan wanting more than this bomber worth.

Future outlook: Disappointed in this one. Doubtful that I will revisit it anytime soon.

2.85/5  rDev -32%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle 6,0% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No Bottle date.

Appearance: Rogue Chocolate stout appears pitch black in the glass , with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges of the glass (this stuff is pretty dark for the Abv.). A standard pour yields a massive dark tan coloured head. The head displays fantastic retention and leaves beautiful rings of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Given all the great reviews, the nose is actually quite disappointing. There is a fair amount of chocolate, but it seems somewhat fake and more like chocolate flavour than actual chocolate. Other notes include: Oats, toasted malt and some creamy caramel.

Taste: As with the nose the flavour is rather disappointing. There isn't a ton of flavour and the beer comes across as somewhat watery. There is a fair amount of (fake) chocolate flavour, some roasted malt, a toasty character and a pleasant bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this doesn't work at all, the body is thin and watery. The carbonation is okayish at a medium-high level but it is a little harsh.

Overall: Another shitty beer from Rogue, I can't see I'll be buying anything more from these guys.

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a midnight black with a nice creamy mocha head. Very nice lacing that lingered as I drank it down.

Smell is pure chocolate, rather heavenly, but nothing else.

Taste is overpowering chocolate and some maltiness. Way too much chocolate in this for me. I do love chocolate stouts (Youngs & Brooklyn my favorites), but this one is like drinking a chocolate malt, doesn't taste like a beer.

I split a bomber with my friend & we both could barely finish our half, not very drinkable.

A rather disappointing chocolate stout from Rogue

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black color with a 2 finger tan foamy head with good retention. Smells of chocolate and cocoa. The taste is chocolate, cocoa, and some burnt bitterness. Not as much sweet chocolate as the smell would suggest. More roasted malt flavor comes forward.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected, and there is quite a bit of carbonation. The mouthfeel is the weakest part of the beer.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

bomber shared with my gf. snifter.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a thin cap of sudsy, tan foam. head calms slowly, leaving thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - cocoa powder, sourdough bread, grassy hops.

t - cocoa powder with an herbal bitterness that totally dominates the flavor profile. has an off putting chemical aftertaste that gets really nasty as the beer warms, i'm assuming from the added flavoring.

m - full bodied with lots of carbonation. finer co2 profile.

o - meh. would be enjoyable if it weren't for the weird chemical flavors. one of the few beers i have ever drainpoured. probably won't be buying anything from rogue again.

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

Very dark in appearance & nice aroma. Huge creamy head & medium body, but the flavors did not taste at all integrated. Each sip tasted like a dark beer, but then the chocolate aftertaste lingeredfor what seemed like forever. I like dark beer & I like chocolatr, but this combo was not appealing to me. And while the label lists "natural chocolate flavoring", it tasted artificial to me. Not a beer I would seek out.

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

22 oz bomber

Pours a thick ceamy head and then disapates quickly. This beer is heavily carbonated with a strong scent of chocolate and malt. Not as strong or smooth as I hoped considering Shakespear's taste. I even tried to pare with chocolate and found it very dissapointing. This beer had no substance to it and left me hanging! Hope next years batch is better!

2.63/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown with a quite thick light brown head.

Aroma: Mild chocolate tones dominate. All other aromas are quite muted.

Taste: Lots of carbonation takes away from the chocolate(which is detectable) and any other flavors that might be present.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive, IMO. Too much carbonation creates an unwanted, flavorless void.

Drinkability: Not at all excited about this one. Doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Won't try again.

2.57/5  rDev -38.7%

A bomber, split with a friend, and poured into a CBS snifter.

A: Dark as the night, with a half finger mocha head that quickly dissipates.

S: Cocoa powder and more bitter chocolate malt dominate the nose.

T: A very sweet, light stout. Thin, fake chocolate flavor with bitter malts mid-sip. The finish is a very light chocolate, with a lingering bitterness.

M: Light, thin, highly carbonated...too carbonated.

O: Fairly unimpressive. It's pleasantly light if you're looking for a
light, sweet stout, but it pales in comparison to other chocolate stouts, such as SouthernTier Choklat.

2.48/5  rDev -40.8%

How can this brew beat Young's Luxury Double Stout, or even Double Black Stout by Redhook, I will never know. The chocolate flavor so dominates this brew, that I can barely taste the stout. This fails in combining the best of stout and chocolate because, it is just chocolate without any marriage of beer flavor.

This is a dry, dry beer and the chocolate tasted artificial.

Maybe this is review is low because I had the Choco-bear bottling.

On second tasting a week or too later I had to lower my review. This is a suboptimal beer.

2.44/5  rDev -41.8%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Super dark brown, almost black. Non-existent head. Wisps of khaki colored foam ghost as cap and collar. Some tiny streaks of lacing.

Smell: Huge chocolate. Chocolate malts and tons of milk chocolate. Some darker chocolate, but it's mainly and massively sweet milk chocolate. Some roasted malts underneath. Tons of roasted barley. It's a melted Hershey bar. Low-grade chocolate. Distinct Rogue Pacman yeast. Sweet and roasty.

Taste: Roasty dark chocolate and chocolate malts. Bitter cocoa edge. Tannic. Tons of milk chocolate and the missing cocoa powder from the nose. Mildly earthy and distinctly Rogue. Yeasty undertone. roasted barley with an undercurrent of oats. So much chocolate and not necessarily in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Vague notions of carbonation. Body has hints of creamy and smooth. Medium body overall.

Overall: Oh Rogue, you so silly with your gamble chocolate.

Acrid in its roast and sweet in its chocolate. Add to that some Pacman yeast and it falls apart at the seams. Lots of flavor that feels thin and flat.

2.44/5  rDev -41.8%

I, as well as a handfull of reviewers out of hundreds, found dissapointment in this beer.

The body is black with a dark mahogany tint when held by a light. The head is brown, but it looks thin like when pouring and MGD. Head fades quickly as suspected.

I found the chocolate smell to be overpowering. Right away you know what you're getting into with this beer. It is a smell of bitter chocolate, and not chocolate malts either. We're talking just ground from the cocoa bean chocolate, not sweet. I later read the ingredients on the bottle, which is a nice touch I must say, but I was dissapointed in "chocolate flavoring". Flavoring? So, really they mean a chocolate flavored syrup, am I right? I do hope that there is no high fructose corn syrup in this beer.

Once again I find the chocolate taste completely overpowering. I don't taste any coffee, toffee, or burnt nodes of flavor...just chocolate flavoring.
I do believe I bought this beer to taste, well, beer instead of a masking chocolate taste. It finishes with an oat bitterness that is better than the beer when in mid-swig.

Oats and barley help out in this department. Whether the oats are used as an adjunct to improve the mouthfeel or it's actually part of the intended flavor, I do not know. What I do know is that for a stout it was pretty average with the oats and co. helping to just make the deadline.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the chocolate taste is just too bitter and overbearing. I'm suspicious of the "flavoring", but happy that they printed it so I could think about it in the first place. Points for honesty. I won't have another of these for a very long time if I can help it. I would much rather have a Young's Double Choc. Stout (in the bottle, not can). They probably use flavoring, too, but I feel it is done much better.

2.42/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of this beer. I don't like the overt chocolate flavor. I don't think chocolate belongs in beer...except Young's Double chocolate which seems to be much less overt in the chocolate department but I know they add chocolate to that beer. In the Rogue beer they add chocolate flavoring...tastes and smells like Nestlea Quik to me actually. Really quite an artificial tasting beer to me. The mouthfeel is quite thin too. Not quite sure how this is top ranked...#19???? better than Thomas Hardy's? Hennepin??? Celebration? Man...crazyness in my opinion.

2.41/5  rDev -42.5%

I'll start with saying that maybe this one just isn't in my wheelhouse.

I picked up a bottle of RCS because of its high rating here. I'm not impressed. The "chocolate" is a stretch. It's not in the flavor, and at best maybe my breath smells a little like Kaluha. Once it warms up I guess it smells like a chocolate syrup a little.

The poured head is great - huge and almost as thick as whipped cream. Neat effect.

The beer? Rouge's Coffee Grounds Stout might be a better name. Some folks must be into that flavor. For me, no thanks. If you're going to drink it, let it come closer to room temperature first. I found it more tolerable that way. Thin body that I wouldn't expect from such a dark, frothy brew.

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

This is a big bottle of bitter stout without any chocolate that I noticed. I tasted maybe a hint of coffee.
What I look for in a chocolate stout is chocolate and stout. If you're looking for the same, you'd probably be disappointed. Some very chocolate beers are Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and Lucky Girl Chocolate Dopplebock.

I surmise they used some very bitter dark chocolate in this brew.

Big bottle of awful.

2.33/5  rDev -44.4%

So it's officially my birthday now, but it was officially my coworker's birthday a few minutes ago when this beverage started to be consumed by him. Being that we have to be at work in about 8 hours, he decided, against my better judgment, that he needed to start making the walk up the hill to better prepare himself for the morning. I'm still not sure what this was all about. But, it was a free beer. As it sat for 23 seconds unmanned, I pondered my course of action. I was then able to determine that this was clearly an early birthday present from John Maier himself in some sort of misguided attempt to assuage me into liking Rogue beers. I obliged him. The milky chocolate dominates the beer, at first a delightful treat fading into a cloying sweet Nesquik chocolate drink. It smells great, thick chocolate rising into the air. But the chocolate is compromised somehow. It is no Theo's chocolate, a thing of pure glory. Sort of a fake chocolate luster. "Natural chocolate flavoring." What was wrong with chocolate? Too chocolatey? Not chocolatey enough? Whatever, it is what it is. Just a thick and sweet malty brew, not awful, not undrinkable, just not worth spending my money on. Sorry, John, I tried again..to be continued..(next season)

2.28/5  rDev -45.6%

Wow. No me gusta.

Pours an opaque black, thin light tan head. Surprisingly thin mouthfeel. Actually smells okay, nice and chocolatey.

Taste is milk chocolate, maybe a bit of roasted malt (the chocolate is completely overwhelming), and a horrible, horrible bitter after-taste. It's actually giving me a stomach ache. I don't know what it is, but the sensation I'd describe is that it is like drinking burnt, bitter chocolate in liquid form. Oddly enough, this is layered over an increasingly cloying chocolate sweetness.

I drainpour a beer basically never (Samuel Adams Triple Bock being the other example I can think of). A good third of this puppy went right down the sink.

2.26/5  rDev -46.1%

Appearance: Pour is a dark ruby mahogany, not much lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt and citric/acidic malts. Not nearly as much chocolate than I expected.

Taste: This is rogue, so of course they decided to make a "chocolate" stout and load it with hops instead of chocolate. A bit disappointing. Hops + Chocolate = bad combination. Actually was more chocolate barley wine, either way not a fan.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but a bit acidic.

Drinkability: Low, didn't finish the bomber.

I prefer Choklat. But, I am so far off from everyone on this I am going to give it another shot and write a fresh review.

2.25/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Chocolate stouts, Yummy, I really had a lot of good ones from the UK, so can wait to try my first chocolate stout from the US! Shared the bottle with PapaEugene.
Poured into a palm glass. The beer pours a very black color (no light comes true) with a great light-brown, fluffy head, and a very stable and sticky lacing.

Smell: Very strong (artificial) chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, some roasted malts and vanilla.

Taste: Full of cheap supermarket chocolate taste (the one that has more fat in it than cacao). Much more roasted malts present than the smell indicates. Coffee, citrus (orange). Aftertaste is bitter, dry with long lasting vanilla.

Mouthfeel: a bit fatty, thin-bodied with medium-carbonation.

Overall: This is not what I expect from a chocolate stout. I expect a balanced beer, where the chocolate taste comes from a careful an long lasting selection, optimization and combination of the correct malts which give the chocolate taste to beer. I read on the bottle that the brewers ADDED chocolate to this beer. Come on, amateurs, take your time to brew a beer with a natural chocolate taste, instead of mimicking one. Call some brewers in the UK (e.g. Sam Smith), they might be able to help you, because they have centuries of experience. This a for me a typical bigger, better faster beer....what a shame. Beer should be a natural product....

2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

On the last beer tasting evening with rvdoorn, he showed up with this big bottle of chocolate stout. I expected a lot from it considering the ratings.

A: BLACK it is! with a thick brown head.

S: CHOCOLATE... overpowering. Some roasted malts in the back and a hint of vanilla.

T: Very fatty milk chocolate. Much too intense for my likes. Roasted malts and a citrus/vanilla aftertaste.

M: Oily, medium carbonation and a light body.

D: Well, not my style at all. I like stouts were the chocolate tones comes naturally. It often takes brewers ages to get that refined taste. This is a quick shot and therefor highly unbalanced. Will not drink this again. For me adding huge amounts of chocoalte is the same as adding chemicals to beer.

2.19/5  rDev -47.7%

I don't know, I've seen so many good ratings on this brew but I got to say I'm dissapointed. Taste like a weak ale with a shot of chocolate syrup. I guess it's just not my cup of stout! No body very thin feel in the mouth. Just not a pleasant drink.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales