Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,966 | Reviews: 1,891

I did not enjoy this beer. Purchased in bomber form, the beer poured nicely, but my hopes began to wane when I sniffed it. Too much chocolate. The chocolate nose reminded me of chocolate syrup for lattes, which is never as good as Hershey's syrup--which isn't very good. The taste was more offensive--like someone dumped a bunch of flavoring into what could have been a good beer. Well, someone did. Although I did not like the strength of the chocolate, it was the synthetic characteristic that I couldn't get past.

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

Bomber poured into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

A - slightly aggressive pour at first yields a huge, tan colored head. this beer with only the faintest reddish hue on the edges when held up to a bright light. head slowly dissipates over a few minutes, clinging to the side of the glass. the high point of this beer.

S - if you've ever burned brownies or hershey bars on the stove, this is the scent. offset slightly by a bit of toasted malt, very faint toffee and coffee. tried my hardest to detect any hint of alcohol in the nose but to no avail.

T - more slightly burnt chocolate. initial sweetness is balanced pretty well by the malts, and then a bit of hop bitterness at the back of the tongue...and there's the alcohol! aftertaste is more of the same, and lingers for quite awhile. as it warms, the coffee notes become a little more prevalent.

M - pretty strong carbonation, a bit too much. leaves behind a chalky kind of texture on the tongue, and the taste (though not bad) just refuses to go away. wished this was a little creamier.

D - though not really heavy, i'm half-struggling to finish all 22oz on my own. kind of tasty, but every few minutes i find myself taking another sip just to fight the overly chalky aftertaste.

Notes: i've had this beer numerous times, and can see myself being in the mood for it in the future, although not too often. wish this was a bit thicker, a little sweeter with a little less "burnt" taste, and in a smaller bottle.

-my first formal review on BA. was planning on doing it with a "better" beer, but figured I would just jump in tonight. cheers!

Bomber to pint glass

Had a LONG week of work and couldn't wait to drink this for the first time.

A - Cracked it open and poured (with a slightly heavy wrist) into my pint glass. Looks good. DARK brown - almost black - even in the light. Not much head (1/3 inch even with the slightly agitated pour) but a nice tan color.

S - Maltiness... Chocolate.... Nuttiness... Coffee? In that order. hmmmm, let's see how it performs

T - I left a little dinner on my plate, skipped desert, and passed on sweats all day for this?!? Where's the chocolate? I taste an average-stout, with average maltiness, and some hints of chocolate and nuts. A little too hoppy.

M - Oily / watery stout. Slightly under-carbonated. Not exactly pleasing to the palate.

Look, I understand the paradigm that chocolate stouts should not be over-chocolatey, however, this is will be a disappointment to anyone looking for an even-slightly sweet treat. It was drinkable, but boring. According to the website, this stout is:

"Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. The mellow flavor of oats, chocolate malts and real chocolate are balanced perfectly with the right amount of hops for a bitter-sweet finish."

-Color was ebony, but the creamy head was not.
-Oats? No.
-Chocolate malts and real chocolate? Meh, malts and a hint of chocolate.
-Too much hops making the beer more bitter than sweet.

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

I had a pint of this while visiting Kclingers. THe beer comes in a pint glas and there is a thin creamy tan head floating on the surface. The color of the beer is drak brown with no lite passing through when held up. The aroma is rich and chocolatey, no surprise there. The chocolate is actually fairly sweet like cocoa powder of a hershey bar. First sip reveals a fairly thick body and very mild carbonation. Nice and smooth beer. Then the flavor, things go down a little here IMO. The beer is very sweet chocolate flavored like eating a candy bar over and over. By about mid pint it gets to be very cloying and not very enjoyable. Maybe with some fruit or vanilla ice cream but with a dinner it is just too much sweet chocolate. Of course if you really dig that this is for you. I am turned off by the overdose of chocolate and wish it was some more roasted notes or coffee to balance the sweetness.

2.96/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- When poured into a glass it has a very nice dark brown head that stays around a while. The color of the beer is dark brown with a hint of translucense.

S- Very strong burnt smell too it. Almost too much. Drowns out most of the other flavoring to it.

T- Again, very strong burnt taste to it. I can taste some of the chocolate and other flavors to it. Unfortunately the overpowering taste is the burnt coffee. Burnt is the correct word too because the taste is more than just roasted coffee. If the burnt flavor is toned down this could be a good beer.

M- Good mouthfeel, little light for my taste but is still a medium body.

D- This wasn't an enjoyable beer. The burnt coffee dominated every aspect of this beer and not in a pleasant way. Something a little more subtle is more to my liking.

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from a 650 ML bottle into a brandy snifter, this beer presented itself well. A deep dark burnt umber with a very decent mocha colored head that to some degree lingered to the end. Aroma of chocolate...period. The smell was pure chocolate and lacked the other nuances of a typically well done chocolate stout. Stir in a spoonful of dark coco into your next porter or stout and you'll get the idea. The taste was, frankly, disappointing. An unpleasant bitterness lingered after each sip. Once you get past the chocolate, you're kind of drinking a Guinness with a little more body. Whether this bitterness comes from bakers chocolate or a big shot of hops...or both, I couldn't tell. But to my palate, this stuff is unpleasant. The bitter aftertaste lasts until you brush your teeth. From previous reviews, I expected better. I'll take a Young's Double Chocolate, thank you.

2.94/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. It was black in color with slight carb but tons of lacing. It had a very large brown head that very, very slowly settled into a thick constant foam.

The aroma was very weak. I'm battling spring allergies so even had the wife take a sniff. We both had to really swirl the glass and then breath deep to get much. What was there was good. Cocoa and coffee mainly with some milk chocolate in the back. The taste was very disappointing. Chalky with a very bitter middle and end. I like bitter but this seemed out of place and the wrong bitter if that makes sense. Also getting a lot of watery taste as well. Normally, I'd chalk this up to a bad bottle but I tried this about 6 months ago and it tasted exactly the same. I didn't review it then because I thought it was a bad bottle but now I think that it's just the way it is. I really wanted to like this one as I love the style and it's readily accessible but really didn't enjoy. After half a bottle it really became a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment - see above for why. Could I possibly have had 2 bad bottles? Seems unlikely but I'm way off from other reviewers that normally I find a lot in common with. Since it's Rogue, I'll give it one more chance down the road. Unless dramatic improvement, one and done.

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Too bitter for my palate. Hops seem to overpower the chocolate and roasted flavors.

2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%

Presentation: 650ml bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep brown/black, completely opaque in appearance. Pours with massive brown/tan head, which fades slowly to but a thin coating, leaving heavy lacing.

S- Chocolate syrup odor wafts up, and grassy hoppiness there if I bury my nose deep.

T- Starts off bland with a burnt coffee finish. I was too impatient, perhaps, and needed to let it warm. As it warms, vague hints of chocolate appear (still less prominent than expected), and the coffee finish mellows substantially. Still disappointed.

M- Medium/light....thinner than I had hoped.

D- Eh....ok. Not too heavy, but I can't imagine even a fan wanting more than this bomber worth.

Future outlook: Disappointed in this one. Doubtful that I will revisit it anytime soon.

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

2.84/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle 6,0% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No Bottle date.

Appearance: Rogue Chocolate stout appears pitch black in the glass , with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges of the glass (this stuff is pretty dark for the Abv.). A standard pour yields a massive dark tan coloured head. The head displays fantastic retention and leaves beautiful rings of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Given all the great reviews, the nose is actually quite disappointing. There is a fair amount of chocolate, but it seems somewhat fake and more like chocolate flavour than actual chocolate. Other notes include: Oats, toasted malt and some creamy caramel.

Taste: As with the nose the flavour is rather disappointing. There isn't a ton of flavour and the beer comes across as somewhat watery. There is a fair amount of (fake) chocolate flavour, some roasted malt, a toasty character and a pleasant bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this doesn't work at all, the body is thin and watery. The carbonation is okayish at a medium-high level but it is a little harsh.

Overall: Another shitty beer from Rogue, I can't see I'll be buying anything more from these guys.

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a midnight black with a nice creamy mocha head. Very nice lacing that lingered as I drank it down.

Smell is pure chocolate, rather heavenly, but nothing else.

Taste is overpowering chocolate and some maltiness. Way too much chocolate in this for me. I do love chocolate stouts (Youngs & Brooklyn my favorites), but this one is like drinking a chocolate malt, doesn't taste like a beer.

I split a bomber with my friend & we both could barely finish our half, not very drinkable.

A rather disappointing chocolate stout from Rogue

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Much worse than its double counterpart. Too bitter and not enough chocolate for a beer called chocolate stout

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black color with a 2 finger tan foamy head with good retention. Smells of chocolate and cocoa. The taste is chocolate, cocoa, and some burnt bitterness. Not as much sweet chocolate as the smell would suggest. More roasted malt flavor comes forward.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected, and there is quite a bit of carbonation. The mouthfeel is the weakest part of the beer.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

bomber shared with my gf. snifter.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a thin cap of sudsy, tan foam. head calms slowly, leaving thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - cocoa powder, sourdough bread, grassy hops.

t - cocoa powder with an herbal bitterness that totally dominates the flavor profile. has an off putting chemical aftertaste that gets really nasty as the beer warms, i'm assuming from the added flavoring.

m - full bodied with lots of carbonation. finer co2 profile.

o - meh. would be enjoyable if it weren't for the weird chemical flavors. one of the few beers i have ever drainpoured. probably won't be buying anything from rogue again.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Very dark in appearance & nice aroma. Huge creamy head & medium body, but the flavors did not taste at all integrated. Each sip tasted like a dark beer, but then the chocolate aftertaste lingeredfor what seemed like forever. I like dark beer & I like chocolatr, but this combo was not appealing to me. And while the label lists "natural chocolate flavoring", it tasted artificial to me. Not a beer I would seek out.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

22 oz bomber

Pours a thick ceamy head and then disapates quickly. This beer is heavily carbonated with a strong scent of chocolate and malt. Not as strong or smooth as I hoped considering Shakespear's taste. I even tried to pare with chocolate and found it very dissapointing. This beer had no substance to it and left me hanging! Hope next years batch is better!

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown with a quite thick light brown head.

Aroma: Mild chocolate tones dominate. All other aromas are quite muted.

Taste: Lots of carbonation takes away from the chocolate(which is detectable) and any other flavors that might be present.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive, IMO. Too much carbonation creates an unwanted, flavorless void.

Drinkability: Not at all excited about this one. Doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Won't try again.

2.57/5  rDev -38.1%

A bomber, split with a friend, and poured into a CBS snifter.

A: Dark as the night, with a half finger mocha head that quickly dissipates.

S: Cocoa powder and more bitter chocolate malt dominate the nose.

T: A very sweet, light stout. Thin, fake chocolate flavor with bitter malts mid-sip. The finish is a very light chocolate, with a lingering bitterness.

M: Light, thin, highly carbonated...too carbonated.

O: Fairly unimpressive. It's pleasantly light if you're looking for a
light, sweet stout, but it pales in comparison to other chocolate stouts, such as SouthernTier Choklat.

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

How can this brew beat Young's Luxury Double Stout, or even Double Black Stout by Redhook, I will never know. The chocolate flavor so dominates this brew, that I can barely taste the stout. This fails in combining the best of stout and chocolate because, it is just chocolate without any marriage of beer flavor.

This is a dry, dry beer and the chocolate tasted artificial.

Maybe this is review is low because I had the Choco-bear bottling.

On second tasting a week or too later I had to lower my review. This is a suboptimal beer.

2.44/5  rDev -41.2%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Super dark brown, almost black. Non-existent head. Wisps of khaki colored foam ghost as cap and collar. Some tiny streaks of lacing.

Smell: Huge chocolate. Chocolate malts and tons of milk chocolate. Some darker chocolate, but it's mainly and massively sweet milk chocolate. Some roasted malts underneath. Tons of roasted barley. It's a melted Hershey bar. Low-grade chocolate. Distinct Rogue Pacman yeast. Sweet and roasty.

Taste: Roasty dark chocolate and chocolate malts. Bitter cocoa edge. Tannic. Tons of milk chocolate and the missing cocoa powder from the nose. Mildly earthy and distinctly Rogue. Yeasty undertone. roasted barley with an undercurrent of oats. So much chocolate and not necessarily in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Vague notions of carbonation. Body has hints of creamy and smooth. Medium body overall.

Overall: Oh Rogue, you so silly with your gamble chocolate.

Acrid in its roast and sweet in its chocolate. Add to that some Pacman yeast and it falls apart at the seams. Lots of flavor that feels thin and flat.

2.44/5  rDev -41.2%

I, as well as a handfull of reviewers out of hundreds, found dissapointment in this beer.

The body is black with a dark mahogany tint when held by a light. The head is brown, but it looks thin like when pouring and MGD. Head fades quickly as suspected.

I found the chocolate smell to be overpowering. Right away you know what you're getting into with this beer. It is a smell of bitter chocolate, and not chocolate malts either. We're talking just ground from the cocoa bean chocolate, not sweet. I later read the ingredients on the bottle, which is a nice touch I must say, but I was dissapointed in "chocolate flavoring". Flavoring? So, really they mean a chocolate flavored syrup, am I right? I do hope that there is no high fructose corn syrup in this beer.

Once again I find the chocolate taste completely overpowering. I don't taste any coffee, toffee, or burnt nodes of flavor...just chocolate flavoring.
I do believe I bought this beer to taste, well, beer instead of a masking chocolate taste. It finishes with an oat bitterness that is better than the beer when in mid-swig.

Oats and barley help out in this department. Whether the oats are used as an adjunct to improve the mouthfeel or it's actually part of the intended flavor, I do not know. What I do know is that for a stout it was pretty average with the oats and co. helping to just make the deadline.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the chocolate taste is just too bitter and overbearing. I'm suspicious of the "flavoring", but happy that they printed it so I could think about it in the first place. Points for honesty. I won't have another of these for a very long time if I can help it. I would much rather have a Young's Double Choc. Stout (in the bottle, not can). They probably use flavoring, too, but I feel it is done much better.

2.42/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of this beer. I don't like the overt chocolate flavor. I don't think chocolate belongs in beer...except Young's Double chocolate which seems to be much less overt in the chocolate department but I know they add chocolate to that beer. In the Rogue beer they add chocolate flavoring...tastes and smells like Nestlea Quik to me actually. Really quite an artificial tasting beer to me. The mouthfeel is quite thin too. Not quite sure how this is top ranked...#19???? better than Thomas Hardy's? Hennepin??? Celebration? Man...crazyness in my opinion.

2.41/5  rDev -41.9%

I'll start with saying that maybe this one just isn't in my wheelhouse.

I picked up a bottle of RCS because of its high rating here. I'm not impressed. The "chocolate" is a stretch. It's not in the flavor, and at best maybe my breath smells a little like Kaluha. Once it warms up I guess it smells like a chocolate syrup a little.

The poured head is great - huge and almost as thick as whipped cream. Neat effect.

The beer? Rouge's Coffee Grounds Stout might be a better name. Some folks must be into that flavor. For me, no thanks. If you're going to drink it, let it come closer to room temperature first. I found it more tolerable that way. Thin body that I wouldn't expect from such a dark, frothy brew.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales