Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,965 | Reviews: 1,891
4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

I cannot think of enough good things to say about this beer. After I first had it, I spent another year looking for it again (it was a one-off shipment to my hometown, and they haven't had it in, since). Now that whole foods up here in Bellevue has it, I'm a very happy man.

This beer is everything a chocolate stout should be - it's dark, pillowy-headed, richly flavored, with just the right mix of beer and chocolate. Not too little or too much alcohol. Perfection in a glass.

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Served in an imperial pint glass from a 22 oz bomber with a picture of a lady on the front that eerily resembles my mother...

Pours an opaque black color with a perfectly fluffy and fronthy cappucino head that stays around the whole time and leaves lacing all up and down the glass. Perfect appearance in my opinion.

Smells of Hershey kisses or a big Hershey bar. Wonderful. Not much in the way of hops. Notes of caramel and even vanilla as well. Smells like a chocolate cake in a glass. Wonderful.

Exceptional taste. The chocolate flavor is the predominant flavor in this stout. Wonderful, creamy chocolate taste. Tastes like a mix of a dark chocolate and milk chocolate thrown into a barrel of quality stout. There is actually a bit of hoppines in there as well. A tiny hop bite hits the back of the tongue as the tasty beverage flows down the gullet. I really cant think of a better dessert beer. I am enjoying this heavenly brew with a Reese's cup and boy is it tasty!!

Slight points detracted for the lingering bitterness in the end. Nothing bad, but the mouthfeel is just slighlty too bitter. However, I cant remember a better beer I have ever had. Bravo!

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Have to admit...I REALLY like this one. Everything about it screams Rogue. They are a top notch brewery that puts out top notch stuff. This one is the epitome of choc stouts. Dark...basically totally opaque. Sweet chocolaty goodness whafting during pour and drinking. Taste..sweeet and smooth. Minor in thickness-lacking but thicker than 75% of others in the stout category. Almost too drinkable...and at the price, I had to cut myself off. Great beer!...GO GET ONE. NOW!

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Pours a thick, rich liquid that's more impenetrably blackish brown than any other beer I've seen. Brownish head is not much but extremely dense and slow to dissipate

Smell: Chocolate hits at the forefront but it's right alongside some slight oatmeal/coffee smells like those that are common with porters.

Taste: Absolutely amazing taste from the very second it hits your lips. Immense mouthfeel, and generally just one of the richest taste profiles I've ever had in a chocolate stout. It's chocolatey beyond belief but also balanced with just about everything I love about stouts/porters being at least slightly involved in the mix here. A bit of coffee, a bit of oatmeal, a bit of caramel, but still chocolate is at the center here. Everything else plays a huge role though, and it just feels creamy and rich as anything here. It's very powerful in its level of chocolate, the density and power of its taste, the chocolate taste, the way the other flavors influence but never overwhelm... I seriously just want to keep taking huge gulps of this. It's insane. There's not much to be said about the flavor changing much throughout the swallow, it's pretty much just a richly accented chocolate stout through and through, but the chocolate flavor definitely does develop from biting cocoa to chocolate milk to dark chocolate bitterness throughout its mouthful, and there's a slight coffee taste that shows up and lingers on the back-end. I personally think it's an all-around perfect beer, but I feel like the taste and mouthfeel at least are undeniably perfect for a stout.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer pours into a dark as night color with a half finger head that laces down the glass as you drink it.

Has an exceptional smell of rich chocolate, smells so good

Has a very great chocolate taste that just begs you to drink more.

Has a medium mouthfeel, not as heavy as it looks

Has a very nice drinkability.

This is definitely a great beer.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Look: Brownish-Black

Smell: Cocoa, Chocolatey Goodness

Taste: Oh oh it's magicccc. The best part about this beer is it offers a rich satisfying chocolatey flavor without being overwhelmingly sweet. This beer is brewed with oats, chocolate roasted malts, and real chocolate- so there's no tacky artificial flavors here. Everything comes together perfectly and makes this beer enjoyable all the way through.

Overall: Personally, this was a filling beer for me. I would recommend it with dessert or as a night cap. Best served a little warmer than most beers- 50-55 degrees F would be ideal. You will not be disappointed.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

The bottle tells us that this beer is made with "imported chocolate." If ever there were a beer to give us reason to consider the Reinheitsgebot as outdated, this beer is it.

Rogue Chocolate Stout pours a very deep, ebony body with a cappuccino head. When this beer is held up against a strong light source, orange and red hues are only barely visible at the top and bottom of the glass.

The nose is outstanding. Intense aromas of dark-roasted malt and dark chocolate mingle with floral notes that are both spicy and resinous.

The taste of this beer something that I'll crave in the coming weeks. As the nose suggested, the dark-roasted malt are at the fore, and come together in perfect balance with the bittering hops to create the flavor of coffee. Moreover, a perfect balance of hoppy bitterness, roasted malt and chocolate flavor, produces the distinct flavor of a mocha. This is the beer's main flavor base, in relief against which floral, peppery, and citrusy notes dance on the palate. The alcohol content is key here. It warms the palate just enough to complete the sensation of a warm mocha, and complements the hoppy aromatics with notes of dried fruits (e.g., raisins, figs, dried apricots, and prunes) without confusing or neutralizing them.

The mouthfeel is a just a bit gassier, which is to say sharper, than I would like. Its body is full and luscious; a perfect complement to its chocolatey taste. If only the foam on my tongue were as luscious and creamy as the beer's flavor demands...

I was fortunate to have had a handful of roasted nuts, dark and golden raisins, and a couple of chipotle chocolate almonds on hand as I enjoyed this beer. If you feel so inclined, I urge you to try any (or all) of these as snack pairings.

Why the perfect overall score despite the imperfect mouthfeel? Because the imperfection is so slight, and because Rogue's Chocolate Stout is not only among the best Chocolate Stouts out there, it is also among the best beers I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a 22oz silkscreened bottle and split with a friend. Appearance is black with no chance of light penetrating the beer. Thick tan head that maintains itself until the beer is gone. Smell is dark roasted malt with a load of dark chocolate. Some coffee hints as well. Taste is heavenly. Evenly balanced dark malts with bitter chocolate combine to form a nearly perfect beer. Coffee and blackened malt hints creep in as well. Mouthfeel is thick but very palateable. Drinkability is also way up there, I could have glass after glass of this. Overall, one of the best beers that I have ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Goddamn I love this beer. I used to take three of the 22oz bottles to keg parties in college so I could avoid The Beast and use the chocolate taste to pick up chicks.

I was lame; what can I say?

But since that time, I've gotten a job, gotten responsible, and gotten engaged -- and I still love this brew. Simply amazing.

Smells like freshly baked chocolate cake served with a glass of chocolate millk finished off with a Hershey's chocolate bar for dessert.

Flavor starts with an intense sweetness driven primarily by CHOCOLATE. It's balanced on the back end by some roasted malt and palate-cleansing hop flavor.

Just awesome in every way.

poured a 22oz bomber into a pint glass

a- just as expected, dark as night, nice tan ring that lingers around the glass for the drinking session...do not pour this beer too aggressively or it will turn on you (personal experience).

s- chocolate....smmmooottthhh. could not be improved upon period

t- wow chocolate milk with a touch of baileys thrown in...this beer will make even a novice fall in love with stout...another tongue-job from rogue...thanks guys...

m- smooth as a brazilian wax...very nice high five

d- i could drink these through a divorce, then again through alimony...thank you rogue...a nice session stout.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

L:Thick dark black color with no light to be seen coming through. Mocha colored head that stays.
S:Awesome pungent smell of really dark chocolate.
T:Frickin awesome chocolate. Like some insanely smooth cholate. Milk flavor lingers through out. Light hops continue after each swallow.
M:Feel like cold melted chocolate with a warming sensation. A slightly hard fizz
D:Amazing chocolate stout. Hands down the best chocolate stout I have had to date

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer appears black and pours a thick head that doesn't last long, but leaves lace on the glass. It smells like Count Chockula or nestle quick mix, chocolatey goodness. The tastes are cocoa, oats, tons of malts, a bit of hoppy bitterness, and more chocolate. It finishes with a nice roasty, cocoa flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth, thick, chewy, velvety, and tiny bubbles. My favorite chocolate stout so far, this beer is delicious, rich, and so smooth it can creep up on you.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Dark black/brown pour with an outstanding brown head.

Chocolate dominates the nose with a dollop of vanilla as well.

Roast flavors on the tip of the tongue blend into a rich cocoa flavor midtongue. Ends with a heavy bitter roast/hoppiness on the back and sides of the tongue.

Rich and full bodied, this beer is an incredible drinkable fantastic treat.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours black with a rich tan head to die for. Chocolate aroma dominates. Burnt bitter taste eddy in a river of chocolate that flows from chocolate mountains. Great beer to end a tasting session. It could not get much better. Not embarrassed to stand behind the high marks. Why the "low" drinkability rating? I noticed that I was getting more than my 1/4 share. Joe, Derek, and Dave thanks for a nice evening with five craft brews ending with this standout.

Wow!

Poured from a 22oz bomber about 99% completely black. The head is a full thick brown that stays pretty well and leaves good webbing.

Smells intensely like a fine dark chocolate bar.

The taste is exactly what you expect it to be - chocolaty, very, very chocolaty! Hints of coffee come out as well and possibly some fruit? (raspberry's???) It is very creamy and smooth. This is exactly what i wanted in a beer.

Easily in my top 3 favorite beers of all time. Highly recommended to anyone.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Rogue has found that secret passage that leads chocolate to beer and meshes them together so perfectly. I love this beer. Went to Andy's Corner in Bogota to hear that it was here, the first keg to hit NJ. Sounded too good to be true. Fortunately, it wasn't. This beer smells fantastic, has a great look and "feel" to it, pours with a great head and tastes just like heaven. Willie Wonka and Sam Smith couldn't team up to beat this beer. The only thing that keeps it from becoming a perfect "5"? It's hard to drink many of them in one sitting. Be that as it may, a beer not to be missed!!!

Rogue Chocolate Stout:

<Pouring into Imperial Pint glass> Wow…my God…OK, Shakespeare Stout with chocolate flavoring. This’ll be good. First of all, I love this freakin’ beer and my wife can’t believe I haven’t reviewed it yet. And since it is St. Valentine’s weekend, I’ll read between the lines and review the damn thing. Motor oil black under a perfect ¾” head while the chocolate aroma permeates the room. Creamy body, slightly oily, viscous, and malty…but this is about chocolate, roasted barley malt, oats and oh, did I mention chocolate? There is a nice Rogue hoppyness that comes in at the close that lingers with the chocolate memory just long enough to drive your hand back for another sip. Oh my sisters and brothers, nothing wrong with this beer.

Cheers...

650ml bottle.

A: Opaque dark brown, almost black, with a tan 2-finger head. Very fluffy, perfect head that laces beautifully.

S: Chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon, caramel. Smells like a treat.

T: Sweet chocolate with a spiced background - cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg come through nicely! A little bit of coffee in the aftertaste. Chocolate sweetness stays though the end. It's like drinking a candy bar!

M: Medium-light bodied - a little more body would have been nice. Carbonation perfect. Very slight astringency, which is to be expected. Pretty good in this respect.

D: Though I would have preferred a little heavier body, the light body of this beer makes this extremely drinkable, especially for the style. I won't have a problem at all putting down this whole thing in 10 minutes.

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Poured from a 22 into a pint. I like the Rogue bottles, kind of a rotoscope approach. Unique styling. As far as the beer itself, stouts are harder to review in this department. What can I say, it’s pitch black. A light brown head that forms and dies within a few minutes. Pitch black.

S: Wow. This is definitely a chocolate stout! Not just chocolate hints, this one smells just like a fresh chocolate candy bar. A syrupy cocoa. There were definitely some heavy adjuncts used here, but that’s not exactly a secret, and it'd be impossible to get this level of chocolate out of pure malt anyway. Very, very nice. Now I know what chocolate really smells like. I would give it a 6 if I could.

T: Nice and sweet. Rich and creamy with a dark milk-chocolate flavor and subtle hints of deep roasted espresso. Some cream, wheat, and delicate mint.

M: Excellent. Full body without being totally syrupy; a delicate mix of water, sweetness, and carbonation.

D: This is an extremely drinkable stout. I’ve always liked Young’s Double-Chocolate, but this one blows it out of the water. This is how a chocolate stout should taste. Simple, chocolate, and an appropriate, modest, stout mouthfeel. This beer is really a delight.

22oz. bomber

Pours a jet black color with a dark chocolate head that fades. Spotty lacing around the glass.

Smells like hot chocloate....Hot chocolate made from dark chocolate....Mmmm....

Taste is amazing. A rich dark chocloate taste unlike any chocolate stout I've ever tasted. It's a bit on the bitter side, and there are hints of malt - but it's all about the chocolate!

Nice carbonation, boisterous body.

Insanely easy to drink, has been a favorite for many years. I'm glad I finally found a place to get it regularly.

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

oh my god...this chocolate stout is the best that i have ever had. ok from the get go...the pour- very good, dark, nice milk chocolate head.
nose- this is where i fell in love. the smell of chocolate ovaltine is f'ing DELICIOUS!
mouthfeel- nice carbonation, extremely smooth
taste- as i review this i am thinking to myself...i am so upset that i only have 1 bomber of this and will be finishing it shortly. this beer is delicious. you can taste the chocolate right away, but it's not too overwhelming. you still have the maltiness of the stout to remind you "this is still a tough beer". not a covered up chocolate piece of crap.
one of my favorite stouts EVER...

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

Rogue Chipotle Ale with a silk screened smiling woman on the 22 oz. brown bomber bottle. This one was poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer poured black with short tan head that left thin, fine lacing down the side of the glass. The beer smelled - literally - like some hot chocolate or cocoa. The flavor was chocolate followed by an immense roasted malt character and a lingering coffee after taste. Absolutely spectacular. This beer is a true pleasure and an absolute delight. It's incredibly drinkable, and - even though a flavored or "chocolate stout" - one of the best american stouts I have ever tried.

Note: Ran to the kitchen to grab a few pieces of dark chocolate as a I finished this fine Rogue product.

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

Darkest mahogany. I would call it ebony but I get the sense that there's a reddish tint when the glass is held up to bright sunlight. The generous head is toasted cocoa brown in color, tight-bubbled and semi-firm. It looks like it might be an impressive lacer, but despite maintaining a thick creamy disk, there isn't a lot of glass coverage. A short collar and a few small scraps is it.

There's an undercurrent of dark, roasted malt and citric hops, but the nose is dominated by an enticing, liqueur-like, bittersweet chocolatiness. It smells like an entire bottle of Hershey's syrup was added to the bomber. This is, without question, the most chocolatey nose of any beer that I've ever had. Wow, a beer milkshake!

My impressions after tasting are nearly identical to my impressions after smelling. Sure, you have your roasted black malt and your trademark Rogue hoppiness (Cascade in this case), but man oh man, the sweet, silky, liquid chocolate goodness is exploding over my tongue and is lingering seemingly forever.

The carbonation is under the radar stealthy, which only improves the smooth, impossibly creamy texture. It isn't full and chewy like an Imperial stout, but it really doesn't need to be for maximum enjoyability. This is one amazing beer.

When I saw that Rogue added natural chocolate flavoring (the front of the silk-screened bottle says "made with imported chocolate") I was all set to put on my beer snob hat, invoke purity laws and say things like 'why couldn't they make it taste like chocolate using only roasted malt, etc.' That was before I tasted it.

I don't care what they added to make it taste this delicious, I just hope they keep on brewing it. If ever there was a chocolate beershake, this is it. If that strikes some as heresy then I'll gladly consume their share. Rogue Chocolate Stout is, in my opinion, the definitive chocolate stout and the one by which all others will now be measured. Tremendous stuff!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales