Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured it into an english pint, two finger brown head and deep brown, almost black, opaque body. No light passing, not even at the edges. The head doesn't exactly maintain, but the lace is there. Looks like a stout to me.

Hard to pinpoint anything but a chocolate aroma. Defined and very deep, maybe just a hint of charred malts.

Chocolate. Again, the taste is distinct. Bitterness on the back combines with the light carbonation. Not too much of a bother, perhaps there to break up the strength of the cocoa. Not great, just what I'd expect really. Though, I must say I should have chilled this much longer.

Thick and smooth. Carbonation helps things along, really, without this might be chocolate syrup.

Should be much tougher because of the thickness, but all in all, it's alright. Not unusually easy, but not bad for a stout that I'd expect to be this heavy.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: 22-ounce bomber. Dark, dark brown in color..very opaque. Very thin brown head even with a vigorous pour.

Smell: Nice smell of roasted coffee and obvious chocolate aroma.

Taste: Tastes strongly of dark chocolate and very apparent roasted flavor. The roasted malts are good, but maybe a little too much? I dunno, the taste just let me down a little given the other offerings I've had from Rogue. I didn't like the combination of bitter coffee and chocolate in this one and didn't enjoy the aftertaste. I think without the coffee bitterness, I would have enjoyed the taste a lot more.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation from this one, but the body is definitely fairly full. Soft, creamy finish.

Drinkability: The thick body and full flavors make this one beer you won't be drinking in large quantities.

Overall, I think other Rogues have spoiled me, because this didn't live up to my expectations like I hoped it would. Either way, I recommend it because it is still a great, very tasty chocolate stout...just not exactly to my taste.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Aroma - Roasted malts like crystal malts to be specific.

Appearance - Dark brown with a brown tan head that quickly dissipated.

Taste - Roasted malt and then tons of bitter hops and chocolate. Maybe too much bitterness for my taste. I think I'm too sensitive to hops to enjoy this beer. Not enough of the roasted malts to redeem this for me.

Notes - Good mouthfeel with a decent level of carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Sal's Bar and Liquor in Wash. Twp., NJ.
22 oz. bottle
Pint Glass

A: Poured black with a real dirty, off-white, fluffy, one finger head.

S: Some great scents: chocolate syrup, roasted coffee beans and toasted oats.

T: Not as sweet as the smell; very burnt and not as much chocolate as expected.

M: Not overly thick but bubbly and carbonated.

D: I was truly looking forward to this one for some time now but it came up a little short. I definitely want to try it on tap to get a second opinion.

22 oz bottle

Poured dark, dark brown with tan head

Smelled of chocolate (as the name would imply) and roasted malts.

Tasted of bitter chocolate, earthy hops, and roasted malts. fairly good balance, although slightly bitter for me.

fairly thick, but not oily and not too tongue coating.

Drinkability at 6% is very good, alcohol not dominant, but i am not a huge fan of the bitterness in this one.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

22 ounce bottle. Almost opaque black with a lasting frothy light brown head. Nice looking. Pretty light on the aroma side. The chocolate comes of like obvious extract to me. Theres some slight coffee, and a good punch of hops in the flavor. Palate is okay. easy to drink. Not something I'd want to drink again though.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Reviewed January 1, 2012. Poured a 650 mL bottle into a mug.

A: This poured quite an interesting head, the head was thickly carbonated with over 4 fingers in size. This poured black, but it seemed almost like a black molasses color. Laces quite amazingly.

S: This has a strong chocolate malt smell. The head that stays strong is odd in the smell that it adds because its almost bubbly (to an extent soapy). The chocolate malt oddly comes in strongest during the swallow of the drink.

T: This carries an odd taste in that it's not really sweet. This was a drink that I've heard praise about its chocolatey goodness, but it's not at all what I was hoping for. This carries like a powdery chocolatey taste, extremely malty almost like a fountain malt shake.

M: This hits the tongue heavily carbonated (almost like a soda), but then it transforms into a full bodied thick drink. This definitely carries a nice creamy thickness.

O: I'm not quite sure that this is rated as high as it is. This as a decent taste and all, but it doesn't really feel like a beer. The taste are simply to simple in this.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Received from tap with shallow head, super dark, not much color when held up to light either.

Smell was faint of burnt coffee and chocolate, minimal aromas leaping off pint. Even after a few swirls I felt the smell could've stood out a bit more.

Very clean, chocolate is immediate with hints of roasted coffee. The bitterness reminded me of unsweetened bakers chocolate rather than any hops. Bitterness was medium on the finish but left a chocolate-coffee aftertaste.

Medium/Heavy body with a typical stout palate coating to the tongue. The creaminess was nice and went down pretty easily.

It paired well with dessert but wouldn't consider as a session beer or anything outside of a dinner/dessert beer.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

This poured a very dark brown, almost black with a substantial cafe au lait head. It had a sweet, chocolate odor. The taste was a little off-putting. It was very sweet, almost too sweet for me, and had a pronounced chocolate taste, It felt very carbonated in my mouth, and wasn't as substantial as I expected.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales