Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,878 | Hads: 3,995
4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a a dark opaque black with a huge light brown/tan head that slowly settles and has great retention. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell is quite potent with rich milk chocolate and cocoa as well.

Taste is a wonderful! Now this is what I want to taste in a beer with the word chocolate on the label. A combination of sweet milk chocolate and a nice roasted dark chocolate malt bitterness towards the end. This is just about chocolate desert in liquid form to me. Very rich and pleasant!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and smooth. Cream with a mild amount of carbonation. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Drinakability in a word, fantastic! This is by far one of the best stouts I've ever had. It goes down very nicely and leaves me wanting to grab another bottle. I could drink this all night and if it were in six pack from, an instant session beer for me. (915 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

A - As the beer pours into the glass from the 22 oz bottle, it forms a nice dark brown head very rapidly. The beer itself is pitch black in color, and as you sip this beer, it leaves a very nice lacing behind in the glass. This is one of the best looking beers Ive ever seen.

S - I am getting a slightly roasted smell, followed by the chocolate. Overall it smells very good, theres not a huge chocolate aroma like I was expecting but the chocolate is definitely present.

T - Wow, this beer has a VERY nice chocolate taste, but not in a gimmicky way, like some of the other chocolate stouts Ive had. When I think of A chocolate stout this is how I picture it tasting. Besides the chocolate taste, it also has a roasted quality to it, plus a tasty hop bitterness at the end. The chocolate flavor is great, but more importantly its balanced perfectly with the hop bitterness, and roasted flavors.

M - This beer has a very thick mouth feel, and it goes down nice and smooth. I enjoy beers that tend to have a nice full body like this one.

D - Personally I think the beer is highly drinkable, just because it taste so great. It may have a full body, and be a dessert beer, but I can see myself drinking 4 of these bottles in one sitting. Sure I would probably pass out in a drunken mess, and have nightmares of chocolate bars with arms and legs, beating my ass with Rogue Chocolate Stout bottles, but in the end its all worth it for the delicious choc-a-riffic taste. (1,469 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured a great opaque color with a wonderful tan head and excellent lacing. It has a very nice scent. a bit of burnt grains with a hint of chocolate. Outstanding taste! A great stout, with burnt grains and coffee flavoring, along wiht an absolutely wonderful dark chocolate taste. It's creamy and goes down great. One of the best beers I've ever had. (350 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Poured from the 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is black. when held to a light it's still black. The pour produces a large, foamy, brown head nearly two inches thick. The head never really dies, falling to a solid cover on the liquid leaving lots of lace. One of the prettier beers I have seen, it also helps that I like the "dark" beers and go for the black look.

Smell: What else would you expect from a chocolate stout but lots of chocolate and roasted malts aromas. Some decent hops aromas are buried within as well.

Taste: What can I say but this beer suits me. I like'em big and malty with planty of roasted malts and a touch of hop bitterness on the finish. This beer delivers. Not sweet at all, (I would even say it is a bit bitter) with just enough chocolate flavors but not overbearing. A great stout.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth and creamy. Full bodied , a touch chewy. Limited alchohol, if it wasn;t so filling this could be a decent sessioner because it is so good.

Drinkability: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. The End. What more does there need to be said? Close to a perfect 5, IMO. (1,142 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

This is my new favorite beer, period. I absolutely love everything about it, it is a perfect chocolate stout. I usually favor high IBU India Pale Ales, specifically double IPAs. This beer has single handedly broadened my horizons and become my new favorite. Om Kali Ma (268 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

[Appearance]: Jet black color, beautiful creamy head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.
[Smell]: Milk chocolate in the nose, roasted malts, touch of coffee.
[Taste]: Milk chocolate up front, roasted malts, some little coffee, dash of nutty, finish off nice bitterness from the hops.
[Mouthfeel]: Very creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, light on the carbonation, very smooth.
[Drinkability]: Very drinkable. (404 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

What a truly exceptional stout. My 1st chocolate-infused beer and I am blown away

A- Poured vigorously for an amazing 4-finger frothy, cascading, latte-colored head that leaves lacing all over the glass. Deep opaque black.

S- Smells like chocolate liquor mixed with the traditional malted barley and hops of a beer.

T- Taste is unbelievably chocolate. The sugary taste of the chocolate greatly compliments the sweet malts and the bitter taste compliments the spicy hops

M- Feels like a watery hot-chocolate mix. Medium-heavy body and silky carbonation

D- I could drink this for as long as my sweet tooth is awake and then some just for kicks. The bittersweet aftertaste makes you want more after every sip. (711 characters)

WHOA!!!

CHOCOLATE STOUT

This is absolutely outstanding...
I didnt know chocolate stout could actually taste so much like actual chocolate.

Pair this with some chocolate ice cream. I dare ya!!! Thats what i have done and i am astounded.

Smell was a bit faint but the rich chocolate flavor and the drinkablity wow ...mouth feel was just right as well...Nice dark rich color
I should have got 2 of these...

Excellent work.... (428 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

So, last night my wife and I had just put my son to bed and she asks me if I have any beer she might like. I check the fridge and there sat my bomber of Rogue’s Chocolate Stout, virtually begging to be chosen. Since my wife already is a fan of Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, she was willing to try Rogue’s offering.
This brew had a uniform ebony hue that looked like it was sucking the light out of the room. A firm, bubbly, one-finger brown head perched atop the beer. As the beer disappeared, a solid layer of sheet lace was left behind. The rich chocolate aroma came pouring off the top well before I got my nose close to the glass. Some roasted malt notes were also present but the overwhelming aroma was chocolate. The taste was redolent of dark chocolate, amazing in its richness. It reminded me of the Swiss dark chocolate my brother gave me on his last visit back to the States. Some light oatmeal and gentle coffee flavor rounded out the taste profile. The feel was medium-bodied at first but built up in thickness as it warmed. Not quite as velvety smooth as Young’s, however.
I’m astounded at how much chocolate flavor and aroma is crammed into this beer. It’s not a beer; it’s like a dark chocolate mousse that got liquified. Unbelievably drinkable; try to restrain yourself from guzzling it all before it has a chance to warm up some. (1,357 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Beige head one finger thick is imploding from within as if its the surface of some other planet, yet to be discovered. Body is black as the night itself. Aroma is chocolate, or more accurately as the bottle describes...chocolate truffle. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I would estimate that this bottle is one year old by the amount of yeast sediment/buildup at the bottom of the bottle...the perfect age for this slow to attenuate chocolate stout. Taste is creamy and smooth with some mild hops and mild alcohol heat. Some coffee notes, but mainly just chocolaty greatness. This is the best chocolate stout on Earth. (659 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

I didn't pour it, I just drank it from a bomber during a gig my band and I were playing. First off, I'm going to assume it looked fantastic like most rogue beers. What I can attest to is the taste and the feel. There's no shortage of chocolate in this bad boy. Some bitter sweet notes of chocolate, even coffee, and roasted malts. The feel is nice and smooth which is typical of stouts since they have less carbonation. As the beer warmed (since I drank it between songs) the chocolate became even more pronounced and the feel also became smoother. Honestly this is by far one of the greatest beers I've had in my life. I'm a sucker for rogue beers and this one is way way up the list. (685 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into snifter from a 22 ounce bomber.

A: Dark black in color. Nice thick light brown foamy head. Looks great. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Malty Chocolate smell. Smells delicious.

T: First taste is burnt malt. The finish is bitter with a sweet Chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Medium body.

D: A very drinkable stout. I will have plenty of these stocked in my fridge for the fall. Goes great with the Milk Duds I am eating.

This is my favorite beer from Rogue out of all of them I tried. Much better then the Mocha porter that they offer. (584 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

This brew pours a an opaque black with a nice size rich creamy head that last a little awhile and leaves a nice silky sexy lace in its tracks. The sweet smell of chocolate milk fill my nose and bring me back to when I was a child. THis is making me want that little nestle quik rabbit. The aroma of roated malts also fill the nose.

The first sip is very rewarding, the chocolate is wonderful and the toasted malts are very flavorful. The hop flavor is low but that is ok, it doesn't make a difference.

This is a kick ass beer from a kick brewery.

Cheers (563 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Served in a snifter, poured from a bomber.

Appearance – Dark brown, almost black. Faint amounts of light penetrated only the very edges. Poured straight into the middle of the snifter. Thick tan head formed quickly and faded slowly to just the edges. Very minimal lacing.

Smell – Big hints of chocolate, slight roasted malt and very minute hop aroma. It almost smells like toll house chocolate chips.

Taste – Nice roasty flavor up front. Big chocolate notes in the middle and finish. The roasted malt blends perfectly with the chocolate. Slight residual sweetness, but overall it is reminiscent of semi-sweet chocolate. At the very end a slight toffee flavor finishes the sip off.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. Lends a nice character to the beer, almost like drinking dark chocolate milk... But better.

Overall –An almost perfect example. Perfectly balanced. A little more head retention would make it perfect. Rouge has done yet to make a beer that I can't appreciate. It's apparent to me as a home brewer that they spend a lot of time on recipe formulation before releasing a beer. This is my second time having this beer and my tasting notes are almost identical (glassware was different).

Serving type: 22 oz bottle (1,230 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me! (326 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

If you like chocolate, you oughta love this stuff. If you don't, you... you're wierd. The pour is dark, dark brown with a fluffy tan head. Milk chocolate fills the nose like chocolate milk. Burnt and roasted malts join the chocolate in the taste to remind you that you're drinking a stout. If you let the beer sit on your tounge for a moment it becomes velvety smooth and soooo creamy. Another plus is that this is the only sweet stout I've had that doesn't become sickeningly rich by the end. This one's totally worth Rogue's high price. (538 characters)

Chocolate!

Beer pours black as night topped with a creamy smooth, dessert-like tan head. Big time chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt aromas exploding out of the beer. Later on, the aroma reminded me more of a really nice chocolate milkshake. The flavor meets the expectation groundwork laid down by the aroma and appearance. CHOCOLATE! That's what this beer is all about. Dessert malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors with a great mouthfeel to boot. This isn't an overly sweet beer either, but nicely balanced. Next time I'm going to bust out some strawberries with this beer for an experiment in decadence. (610 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a black brew, with tan massive chunky head - could float a bottle cap on it. Very nice looking brew. Nice sticky lace.

Smells awesome - chocolate, roasted; oats, barley, hops damn good smelling brew.

Brew taste very smooth, very complex and balanced. You get the roasted flavors, the chocolate, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This brew is a true treat to the palate, a superb stout that could go great after dinner. But hell why not make a session of it - I sure would. Superb. (511 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

This is dessert in a bottle! It poured a jet black color with a dark brown head that settled into a pillow of foam after about 1 min. The smell was all chocolate, just like sniffing the inside of a truffle. The taste was just amazing with a great chocolate sweetness and just enough hops to balance out the flavor. This is one that could be enjoyed with cake or ice cream or just by its self. What a beer! (405 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured pitch black with a fluffy light brown head. Head retention and lacing was phenominal. Head had the appearance of the skin that forms when you make instant pudding. Looked like some sort of dessert or tricked out coffee

Smell: Chocolate malt in the nose with slight hints of grain

Taste: Rich chocolate taste from the get go. Bitterness from baker's choclate? Slight dryness and nuttiness

MF: Slight chewyness and well carbonated

This beer works well by itself or paired with a number of desserts, yum (519 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

pours an opaque black that seems to have brown swirling throughout, with a tan head that is pretty large to begin with, and persists while drinking. smells like chocolate bars being melted to make hot chocolate. tastes like chocolate, dark chocolate, and that's almost it. a slight hop bitterness keeps things fresh tasting. nothing exactly balanced here, but that's clearly not the goal. where other chocolate stouts seek to add chocolate to the stout experience, this beer merely uses the stout as a chocolate delivery device. mouthfeel is amazing -- silky smooth and very thick. it might become too thick after more than one bottle, but for one serving, it's just about perfect. drinkability is impaired only by the chocolatey nature of the beer, and that it is so rich as a result. (785 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

This is the way a chocolate stout should taste!!

The beer pours practically black and has a big head on the top of the beer, which fades slightly over time but remains throughout drinking. The chocolate taste is perfect, with a slight roasted taste coming through in the middle this beer balances the taste of chocolate with beer bitterness perfectly. (353 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Mighty tastey brew, very good stuff...feel like he nailed this one. I dont like to feel like I am drinking a chocolate soda when I choose a choclate stout... and that was understood when this one was brewed.

The choclate malt and black malts are in your face, bold and smooth beer. No bitter after bite, makes you want to keep on drinking, very pleasant beer.

Loved this one! (377 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 1pt. 6oz. bottle.

The color is a complete dark black, with a light brown foamy head which sticks to the glass.

The smell is of sweet chocolate. Smells like a chocolate bar of a Hersey kiss.

The taste is very chocolate. Tastes like a Mr. Goodbar, some nutty flavor mixed in with the creamy chocolate.

This is one of the very best stouts I have had. It may be the best stout. It is really easy drinking and very tasty. It also has just enough bitter hops taste to remind you it is a stout. This would make for a very good after dinner beer. (574 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

This is by far one of my favorite beers, and I've had it both on-tap and from a 22oz bottle. Pours out nice and dark, with a creamy tan head.

Smells absouletly awesome, like chocolate, obviously. Reminds me of hot chocolate, but it's cold, and beer. Smells so wonderful that I wish I could inhale it all.

Taste matches up with the smells, except a bit more dry and bitter. Nice roasted malts. Flavored with oats and chocolate, and a bit of the hops poke through. Excellent taste.

Medium carbonation, but altogether very smooth. Leaves my mouth a touch dry.

I could drink these all night, but I could see where it would be filling for some. Excellent with a meal, but stands strong by itself as a dessert beer. (721 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales