Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -74%

Stick to the Shakespeare! I tried this and I must say that I don't like it. Stouts are some of my favorite brews, but not this stout. It's like Rogue took their awesome Shakespeare brew and spiked it will yucky chocolate. This tastes way too chocolate. There are other flavors going around in there, but the chocolate overpowers. I can see how some could like this, but I do not.

1.25/5  rDev -69.9%

1.56/5  rDev -62.4%

1.63/5  rDev -60.7%

I don't know why this beer is in the 100 beers. It is below average at best. Not creamy like a good stout should be. The carbinaton was that of a bottle of Pepsi. I thought that maybe it was me, and maybe I got a bad bottle, but 2 of my other friends had it also. One in Colorado, and One in Ohio, both had the same reaction. In my opinion this beer is way overrated.

1.65/5  rDev -60.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What is all of the hype for? I see the Bros. reviewed this in 02, maybe it has changed? Maybe I drank from a bad keg? Maybe... I don't know.

A: Dark black, weak thin brown head, ,looks OK, nothing special.

S: Definite smells of chocolate, not in a good way, almost like a Hershey Kiss or some other mass produced chocolate. I'm partial to belgians and small batch delights.

T: 1st impression, yuck! Waste of $5, i'll never finish it. Tastes like some artificial chocolate added to some watered down generic stout. This chocolate is all overpowering.

M: Watery, mildly carbonated, somewhat smooth I suppose, again nothing special.

D: I managed to finish the glass (almost), the brew is not bitter, that is the best thing I can say about it.

I would imagine that many non craft drinkers would enjoy this for a change of pace from Bud or Miller. But after experiencing some of the chewy, creamy, full bodied mouth explosion varieties of the style, this one is not in the same class (for me)

1.7/5  rDev -59%

This is a poor beer. I do not understand the love for it on this site. The beer has little flavor. I don't get a lot of chocolate flavor. The poorest aspect of this is the mouthfeel. So thin. Nothing redeeming about this beer that I can tell. I used to like Rogue Shakespeare Stout and I'd heard that this was better. I hesitate to even try old Billy Shakes if this is better.

1.88/5  rDev -54.7%

Opaque black. No highlights. Small dark brown head.

Sweet, low-quality milk chocolate on the nose (someone at the blind tasting said Whitman's buttercreams and they were right). Definitely buttery as well. Quite nutty too. Cloying and gross.

Surprisingly light on the palate. Lots of bitterness, and a touch of burnt malt flavor. Needs body badly. Mouthfeel is OK, length is, unfortunately, average.

Tasted blind at the 12/14/03 St. Louis BA tasting.

1.9/5  rDev -54.2%

This bomber was purchased at Jimmie Garant's in Alpena, MI for $6.99. No bottling/best by date could be located. My first impression of Chocolate Stout comes via the woman on the label seemingly enjoying a frothy mug of (presumably) Chocolate Stout. The snob in me casts shame on this mystery figure's choice of glassware. I joke. Later I discovered the woman is Sebbie Buhler, a Rogue employee who writes a blog devoted to all things Chocolate Stout (http://roguechocolatestout.com).

I cracked the cap and poured into a tulip glass, because, as previously established, I'm too much of a snob to use a mug. The pour yields three fingers of billowy, khaki-colored head. Retention is really good. Lacing replaces the head as it slowly dissipates. The beer is as black as any I've seen. It is a thing of beauty.

Unfortunately, the nose is not as gorgeous as the visual aesthetic. The first whiff reveals the strange scent of Elmer's glue. A closer inspection unveils a literal milk chocolate aroma. The label claims that this is made with imported chocolate. That's all I smell: glue and chocolate. It is simple and weird. Me no likey.

Thankfully the flavor bears little resemblance to the aroma. Unfortunately, however, it is equally, if not more unappealing. Initially it tastes like heartburn. A strange bitterness persists that does not resemble hops, or any other bitterness I've encountered in beer. Behind the unusual bitterness is a wet cardboard flavor. Roasted malts arise and then duck behind the flavor of vomit. I'm not kidding. As much as I want to enjoy this, it is just about the most atrocious beer that has touched my lips. Chocolate manifests subtly at the end of the sip, but it is totally limp and powerless against the train wreck of flavor that preceded it. Gross.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy but still feels pretty thin for a stout, yet alone a stout that claims to contain "natural chocolate flavoring". It's straddling the line between light and medium bodied. The carbonation level is appropriate. Though unimpressive, the feel is far from the most disappointing aspect of this brew.

What should I make of this mess? It's not good beer; it's not good chocolate, and it's not a good value. I guess it is possible that I bought an old bottle, but with no bottle dating on Rogue products, how would I know? Thus far, every Rogue Ale I have sampled has been a disappointment. Somebody please turn me onto something worth drinking from this brewery before I write them off completely. Now I'm off to wash out my mouth with a big-ass can of Evil Eye. I guess I should have used a mug.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
For what I spent on this bomber (emphasis on "bomb") I could have grabbed a 6-pack of satisfying Schlitz Tallboys and a chocolate bar. You're damn right I don't give a Schlitz for this.

1.98/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bomber poured into a mug

A - beautiful black color with a nice thick, stiff head. Unfortunately, it's all downhill from here.

S - chocolate, fruit and some spice. the chocolate is really not that pleasant.

T - it tastes like a stout with Hershey's syrup added.

M - very, very watery.

D - I will probably never have this ever again.

My first Rogue beer. I was not impressed.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales