Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -74%

Stick to the Shakespeare! I tried this and I must say that I don't like it. Stouts are some of my favorite brews, but not this stout. It's like Rogue took their awesome Shakespeare brew and spiked it will yucky chocolate. This tastes way too chocolate. There are other flavors going around in there, but the chocolate overpowers. I can see how some could like this, but I do not.

1.25/5  rDev -69.9%

1.56/5  rDev -62.4%

1.65/5  rDev -60.2%

I don't know why this beer is in the 100 beers. It is below average at best. Not creamy like a good stout should be. The carbinaton was that of a bottle of Pepsi. I thought that maybe it was me, and maybe I got a bad bottle, but 2 of my other friends had it also. One in Colorado, and One in Ohio, both had the same reaction. In my opinion this beer is way overrated.

1.68/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What is all of the hype for? I see the Bros. reviewed this in 02, maybe it has changed? Maybe I drank from a bad keg? Maybe... I don't know.

A: Dark black, weak thin brown head, ,looks OK, nothing special.

S: Definite smells of chocolate, not in a good way, almost like a Hershey Kiss or some other mass produced chocolate. I'm partial to belgians and small batch delights.

T: 1st impression, yuck! Waste of $5, i'll never finish it. Tastes like some artificial chocolate added to some watered down generic stout. This chocolate is all overpowering.

M: Watery, mildly carbonated, somewhat smooth I suppose, again nothing special.

D: I managed to finish the glass (almost), the brew is not bitter, that is the best thing I can say about it.

I would imagine that many non craft drinkers would enjoy this for a change of pace from Bud or Miller. But after experiencing some of the chewy, creamy, full bodied mouth explosion varieties of the style, this one is not in the same class (for me)

1.74/5  rDev -58.1%

This is a poor beer. I do not understand the love for it on this site. The beer has little flavor. I don't get a lot of chocolate flavor. The poorest aspect of this is the mouthfeel. So thin. Nothing redeeming about this beer that I can tell. I used to like Rogue Shakespeare Stout and I'd heard that this was better. I hesitate to even try old Billy Shakes if this is better.

1.92/5  rDev -53.7%

Opaque black. No highlights. Small dark brown head.

Sweet, low-quality milk chocolate on the nose (someone at the blind tasting said Whitman's buttercreams and they were right). Definitely buttery as well. Quite nutty too. Cloying and gross.

Surprisingly light on the palate. Lots of bitterness, and a touch of burnt malt flavor. Needs body badly. Mouthfeel is OK, length is, unfortunately, average.

Tasted blind at the 12/14/03 St. Louis BA tasting.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales