Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,885 | Hads: 4,040
4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Beer pours black as night topped with a creamy smooth, dessert-like tan head. Big time chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt aromas exploding out of the beer. Later on, the aroma reminded me more of a really nice chocolate milkshake. The flavor meets the expectation groundwork laid down by the aroma and appearance. CHOCOLATE! That's what this beer is all about. Dessert malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors with a great mouthfeel to boot. This isn't an overly sweet beer either, but nicely balanced. Next time I'm going to bust out some strawberries with this beer for an experiment in decadence.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a black brew, with tan massive chunky head - could float a bottle cap on it. Very nice looking brew. Nice sticky lace.

Smells awesome - chocolate, roasted; oats, barley, hops damn good smelling brew.

Brew taste very smooth, very complex and balanced. You get the roasted flavors, the chocolate, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This brew is a true treat to the palate, a superb stout that could go great after dinner. But hell why not make a session of it - I sure would. Superb.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is a phenomenal chocolate stout. Had one last night and accidentally spilled some on the rug. The stain looks like black ink.

Pours pitch black with a thick, foamy, dark head that doesn't stick around for a long time.
Smells spicy with chocolate and dark grain.
Taste is full bodied with hint of chocolate and well roasted, almost burnt, grain with a very nice finish.
Very silky and creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.
Highly drinkable for a heavy, full bodied stout.

This is an awesome stout. This is a tasty adult treat like chocolate milk was when I was a kid. I highly recommend it. Mmm...I want another.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Black, with a huge, dark brown, creamy head that sticks around to the very end. Nice aroma of slightly bitter dark chocolate, with a hint of hops as the brew warms. Flavor is just heavenly. This is the most authentic chocolate flavor I've ever encountered in a beer, and it doesn't stop there. Taste develops into a nice understated roasted malt, and finishes with just enough hops to let you know you're still drinking a beer. Finish has a nice mixture of bitterness from three different sources: the grains, the chocolate, and the hops. Really pleasant. Sweet, full-bodied with a decadently creamy mouthfeel. A truly outstanding beer.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a a dark opaque black with a huge light brown/tan head that slowly settles and has great retention. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell is quite potent with rich milk chocolate and cocoa as well.

Taste is a wonderful! Now this is what I want to taste in a beer with the word chocolate on the label. A combination of sweet milk chocolate and a nice roasted dark chocolate malt bitterness towards the end. This is just about chocolate desert in liquid form to me. Very rich and pleasant!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and smooth. Cream with a mild amount of carbonation. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Drinakability in a word, fantastic! This is by far one of the best stouts I've ever had. It goes down very nicely and leaves me wanting to grab another bottle. I could drink this all night and if it were in six pack from, an instant session beer for me.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A - As the beer pours into the glass from the 22 oz bottle, it forms a nice dark brown head very rapidly. The beer itself is pitch black in color, and as you sip this beer, it leaves a very nice lacing behind in the glass. This is one of the best looking beers Ive ever seen.

S - I am getting a slightly roasted smell, followed by the chocolate. Overall it smells very good, theres not a huge chocolate aroma like I was expecting but the chocolate is definitely present.

T - Wow, this beer has a VERY nice chocolate taste, but not in a gimmicky way, like some of the other chocolate stouts Ive had. When I think of A chocolate stout this is how I picture it tasting. Besides the chocolate taste, it also has a roasted quality to it, plus a tasty hop bitterness at the end. The chocolate flavor is great, but more importantly its balanced perfectly with the hop bitterness, and roasted flavors.

M - This beer has a very thick mouth feel, and it goes down nice and smooth. I enjoy beers that tend to have a nice full body like this one.

D - Personally I think the beer is highly drinkable, just because it taste so great. It may have a full body, and be a dessert beer, but I can see myself drinking 4 of these bottles in one sitting. Sure I would probably pass out in a drunken mess, and have nightmares of chocolate bars with arms and legs, beating my ass with Rogue Chocolate Stout bottles, but in the end its all worth it for the delicious choc-a-riffic taste.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a great opaque color with a wonderful tan head and excellent lacing. It has a very nice scent. a bit of burnt grains with a hint of chocolate. Outstanding taste! A great stout, with burnt grains and coffee flavoring, along wiht an absolutely wonderful dark chocolate taste. It's creamy and goes down great. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Poured from the 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is black. when held to a light it's still black. The pour produces a large, foamy, brown head nearly two inches thick. The head never really dies, falling to a solid cover on the liquid leaving lots of lace. One of the prettier beers I have seen, it also helps that I like the "dark" beers and go for the black look.

Smell: What else would you expect from a chocolate stout but lots of chocolate and roasted malts aromas. Some decent hops aromas are buried within as well.

Taste: What can I say but this beer suits me. I like'em big and malty with planty of roasted malts and a touch of hop bitterness on the finish. This beer delivers. Not sweet at all, (I would even say it is a bit bitter) with just enough chocolate flavors but not overbearing. A great stout.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth and creamy. Full bodied , a touch chewy. Limited alchohol, if it wasn;t so filling this could be a decent sessioner because it is so good.

Drinkability: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. The End. What more does there need to be said? Close to a perfect 5, IMO.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is my new favorite beer, period. I absolutely love everything about it, it is a perfect chocolate stout. I usually favor high IBU India Pale Ales, specifically double IPAs. This beer has single handedly broadened my horizons and become my new favorite. Om Kali Ma

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

[Appearance]: Jet black color, beautiful creamy head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.
[Smell]: Milk chocolate in the nose, roasted malts, touch of coffee.
[Taste]: Milk chocolate up front, roasted malts, some little coffee, dash of nutty, finish off nice bitterness from the hops.
[Mouthfeel]: Very creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, light on the carbonation, very smooth.
[Drinkability]: Very drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

What a truly exceptional stout. My 1st chocolate-infused beer and I am blown away

A- Poured vigorously for an amazing 4-finger frothy, cascading, latte-colored head that leaves lacing all over the glass. Deep opaque black.

S- Smells like chocolate liquor mixed with the traditional malted barley and hops of a beer.

T- Taste is unbelievably chocolate. The sugary taste of the chocolate greatly compliments the sweet malts and the bitter taste compliments the spicy hops

M- Feels like a watery hot-chocolate mix. Medium-heavy body and silky carbonation

D- I could drink this for as long as my sweet tooth is awake and then some just for kicks. The bittersweet aftertaste makes you want more after every sip.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is absolutely outstanding...
I didnt know chocolate stout could actually taste so much like actual chocolate.

Pair this with some chocolate ice cream. I dare ya!!! Thats what i have done and i am astounded.

Smell was a bit faint but the rich chocolate flavor and the drinkablity wow ...mouth feel was just right as well...Nice dark rich color
I should have got 2 of these...

Excellent work....

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Poured from a 22 into a pint. I like the Rogue bottles, kind of a rotoscope approach. Unique styling. As far as the beer itself, stouts are harder to review in this department. What can I say, it’s pitch black. A light brown head that forms and dies within a few minutes. Pitch black.

S: Wow. This is definitely a chocolate stout! Not just chocolate hints, this one smells just like a fresh chocolate candy bar. A syrupy cocoa. There were definitely some heavy adjuncts used here, but that’s not exactly a secret, and it'd be impossible to get this level of chocolate out of pure malt anyway. Very, very nice. Now I know what chocolate really smells like. I would give it a 6 if I could.

T: Nice and sweet. Rich and creamy with a dark milk-chocolate flavor and subtle hints of deep roasted espresso. Some cream, wheat, and delicate mint.

M: Excellent. Full body without being totally syrupy; a delicate mix of water, sweetness, and carbonation.

D: This is an extremely drinkable stout. I’ve always liked Young’s Double-Chocolate, but this one blows it out of the water. This is how a chocolate stout should taste. Simple, chocolate, and an appropriate, modest, stout mouthfeel. This beer is really a delight.

22oz. bomber

Pours a jet black color with a dark chocolate head that fades. Spotty lacing around the glass.

Smells like hot chocloate....Hot chocolate made from dark chocolate....Mmmm....

Taste is amazing. A rich dark chocloate taste unlike any chocolate stout I've ever tasted. It's a bit on the bitter side, and there are hints of malt - but it's all about the chocolate!

Nice carbonation, boisterous body.

Insanely easy to drink, has been a favorite for many years. I'm glad I finally found a place to get it regularly.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

oh my god...this chocolate stout is the best that i have ever had. ok from the get go...the pour- very good, dark, nice milk chocolate head.
nose- this is where i fell in love. the smell of chocolate ovaltine is f'ing DELICIOUS!
mouthfeel- nice carbonation, extremely smooth
taste- as i review this i am thinking to myself...i am so upset that i only have 1 bomber of this and will be finishing it shortly. this beer is delicious. you can taste the chocolate right away, but it's not too overwhelming. you still have the maltiness of the stout to remind you "this is still a tough beer". not a covered up chocolate piece of crap.
one of my favorite stouts EVER...

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

Rogue Chipotle Ale with a silk screened smiling woman on the 22 oz. brown bomber bottle. This one was poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer poured black with short tan head that left thin, fine lacing down the side of the glass. The beer smelled - literally - like some hot chocolate or cocoa. The flavor was chocolate followed by an immense roasted malt character and a lingering coffee after taste. Absolutely spectacular. This beer is a true pleasure and an absolute delight. It's incredibly drinkable, and - even though a flavored or "chocolate stout" - one of the best american stouts I have ever tried.

Note: Ran to the kitchen to grab a few pieces of dark chocolate as a I finished this fine Rogue product.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

Darkest mahogany. I would call it ebony but I get the sense that there's a reddish tint when the glass is held up to bright sunlight. The generous head is toasted cocoa brown in color, tight-bubbled and semi-firm. It looks like it might be an impressive lacer, but despite maintaining a thick creamy disk, there isn't a lot of glass coverage. A short collar and a few small scraps is it.

There's an undercurrent of dark, roasted malt and citric hops, but the nose is dominated by an enticing, liqueur-like, bittersweet chocolatiness. It smells like an entire bottle of Hershey's syrup was added to the bomber. This is, without question, the most chocolatey nose of any beer that I've ever had. Wow, a beer milkshake!

My impressions after tasting are nearly identical to my impressions after smelling. Sure, you have your roasted black malt and your trademark Rogue hoppiness (Cascade in this case), but man oh man, the sweet, silky, liquid chocolate goodness is exploding over my tongue and is lingering seemingly forever.

The carbonation is under the radar stealthy, which only improves the smooth, impossibly creamy texture. It isn't full and chewy like an Imperial stout, but it really doesn't need to be for maximum enjoyability. This is one amazing beer.

When I saw that Rogue added natural chocolate flavoring (the front of the silk-screened bottle says "made with imported chocolate") I was all set to put on my beer snob hat, invoke purity laws and say things like 'why couldn't they make it taste like chocolate using only roasted malt, etc.' That was before I tasted it.

I don't care what they added to make it taste this delicious, I just hope they keep on brewing it. If ever there was a chocolate beershake, this is it. If that strikes some as heresy then I'll gladly consume their share. Rogue Chocolate Stout is, in my opinion, the definitive chocolate stout and the one by which all others will now be measured. Tremendous stuff!

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Dark black/brown pour with an outstanding brown head.

Chocolate dominates the nose with a dollop of vanilla as well.

Roast flavors on the tip of the tongue blend into a rich cocoa flavor midtongue. Ends with a heavy bitter roast/hoppiness on the back and sides of the tongue.

Rich and full bodied, this beer is an incredible drinkable fantastic treat.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours black with a rich tan head to die for. Chocolate aroma dominates. Burnt bitter taste eddy in a river of chocolate that flows from chocolate mountains. Great beer to end a tasting session. It could not get much better. Not embarrassed to stand behind the high marks. Why the "low" drinkability rating? I noticed that I was getting more than my 1/4 share. Joe, Derek, and Dave thanks for a nice evening with five craft brews ending with this standout.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber about 99% completely black. The head is a full thick brown that stays pretty well and leaves good webbing.

Smells intensely like a fine dark chocolate bar.

The taste is exactly what you expect it to be - chocolaty, very, very chocolaty! Hints of coffee come out as well and possibly some fruit? (raspberry's???) It is very creamy and smooth. This is exactly what i wanted in a beer.

Easily in my top 3 favorite beers of all time. Highly recommended to anyone.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Rogue has found that secret passage that leads chocolate to beer and meshes them together so perfectly. I love this beer. Went to Andy's Corner in Bogota to hear that it was here, the first keg to hit NJ. Sounded too good to be true. Fortunately, it wasn't. This beer smells fantastic, has a great look and "feel" to it, pours with a great head and tastes just like heaven. Willie Wonka and Sam Smith couldn't team up to beat this beer. The only thing that keeps it from becoming a perfect "5"? It's hard to drink many of them in one sitting. Be that as it may, a beer not to be missed!!!

Rogue Chocolate Stout:

<Pouring into Imperial Pint glass> Wow…my God…OK, Shakespeare Stout with chocolate flavoring. This’ll be good. First of all, I love this freakin’ beer and my wife can’t believe I haven’t reviewed it yet. And since it is St. Valentine’s weekend, I’ll read between the lines and review the damn thing. Motor oil black under a perfect ¾” head while the chocolate aroma permeates the room. Creamy body, slightly oily, viscous, and malty…but this is about chocolate, roasted barley malt, oats and oh, did I mention chocolate? There is a nice Rogue hoppyness that comes in at the close that lingers with the chocolate memory just long enough to drive your hand back for another sip. Oh my sisters and brothers, nothing wrong with this beer.

650ml bottle.

A: Opaque dark brown, almost black, with a tan 2-finger head. Very fluffy, perfect head that laces beautifully.

S: Chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon, caramel. Smells like a treat.

T: Sweet chocolate with a spiced background - cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg come through nicely! A little bit of coffee in the aftertaste. Chocolate sweetness stays though the end. It's like drinking a candy bar!

M: Medium-light bodied - a little more body would have been nice. Carbonation perfect. Very slight astringency, which is to be expected. Pretty good in this respect.

D: Though I would have preferred a little heavier body, the light body of this beer makes this extremely drinkable, especially for the style. I won't have a problem at all putting down this whole thing in 10 minutes.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales