Join our email list →

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,892 | Hads: 4,083
4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours black with a rich tan head to die for. Chocolate aroma dominates. Burnt bitter taste eddy in a river of chocolate that flows from chocolate mountains. Great beer to end a tasting session. It could not get much better. Not embarrassed to stand behind the high marks. Why the "low" drinkability rating? I noticed that I was getting more than my 1/4 share. Joe, Derek, and Dave thanks for a nice evening with five craft brews ending with this standout.

Wow!

Poured from a 22oz bomber about 99% completely black. The head is a full thick brown that stays pretty well and leaves good webbing.

Smells intensely like a fine dark chocolate bar.

The taste is exactly what you expect it to be - chocolaty, very, very chocolaty! Hints of coffee come out as well and possibly some fruit? (raspberry's???) It is very creamy and smooth. This is exactly what i wanted in a beer.

Easily in my top 3 favorite beers of all time. Highly recommended to anyone.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Rogue has found that secret passage that leads chocolate to beer and meshes them together so perfectly. I love this beer. Went to Andy's Corner in Bogota to hear that it was here, the first keg to hit NJ. Sounded too good to be true. Fortunately, it wasn't. This beer smells fantastic, has a great look and "feel" to it, pours with a great head and tastes just like heaven. Willie Wonka and Sam Smith couldn't team up to beat this beer. The only thing that keeps it from becoming a perfect "5"? It's hard to drink many of them in one sitting. Be that as it may, a beer not to be missed!!!

Rogue Chocolate Stout:

<Pouring into Imperial Pint glass> Wow…my God…OK, Shakespeare Stout with chocolate flavoring. This’ll be good. First of all, I love this freakin’ beer and my wife can’t believe I haven’t reviewed it yet. And since it is St. Valentine’s weekend, I’ll read between the lines and review the damn thing. Motor oil black under a perfect ¾” head while the chocolate aroma permeates the room. Creamy body, slightly oily, viscous, and malty…but this is about chocolate, roasted barley malt, oats and oh, did I mention chocolate? There is a nice Rogue hoppyness that comes in at the close that lingers with the chocolate memory just long enough to drive your hand back for another sip. Oh my sisters and brothers, nothing wrong with this beer.

Cheers...

650ml bottle.

A: Opaque dark brown, almost black, with a tan 2-finger head. Very fluffy, perfect head that laces beautifully.

S: Chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon, caramel. Smells like a treat.

T: Sweet chocolate with a spiced background - cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg come through nicely! A little bit of coffee in the aftertaste. Chocolate sweetness stays though the end. It's like drinking a candy bar!

M: Medium-light bodied - a little more body would have been nice. Carbonation perfect. Very slight astringency, which is to be expected. Pretty good in this respect.

D: Though I would have preferred a little heavier body, the light body of this beer makes this extremely drinkable, especially for the style. I won't have a problem at all putting down this whole thing in 10 minutes.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer pours into a dark as night color with a half finger head that laces down the glass as you drink it.

Has an exceptional smell of rich chocolate, smells so good

Has a very great chocolate taste that just begs you to drink more.

Has a medium mouthfeel, not as heavy as it looks

Has a very nice drinkability.

This is definitely a great beer.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Look: Brownish-Black

Smell: Cocoa, Chocolatey Goodness

Taste: Oh oh it's magicccc. The best part about this beer is it offers a rich satisfying chocolatey flavor without being overwhelmingly sweet. This beer is brewed with oats, chocolate roasted malts, and real chocolate- so there's no tacky artificial flavors here. Everything comes together perfectly and makes this beer enjoyable all the way through.

Overall: Personally, this was a filling beer for me. I would recommend it with dessert or as a night cap. Best served a little warmer than most beers- 50-55 degrees F would be ideal. You will not be disappointed.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

The bottle tells us that this beer is made with "imported chocolate." If ever there were a beer to give us reason to consider the Reinheitsgebot as outdated, this beer is it.

Rogue Chocolate Stout pours a very deep, ebony body with a cappuccino head. When this beer is held up against a strong light source, orange and red hues are only barely visible at the top and bottom of the glass.

The nose is outstanding. Intense aromas of dark-roasted malt and dark chocolate mingle with floral notes that are both spicy and resinous.

The taste of this beer something that I'll crave in the coming weeks. As the nose suggested, the dark-roasted malt are at the fore, and come together in perfect balance with the bittering hops to create the flavor of coffee. Moreover, a perfect balance of hoppy bitterness, roasted malt and chocolate flavor, produces the distinct flavor of a mocha. This is the beer's main flavor base, in relief against which floral, peppery, and citrusy notes dance on the palate. The alcohol content is key here. It warms the palate just enough to complete the sensation of a warm mocha, and complements the hoppy aromatics with notes of dried fruits (e.g., raisins, figs, dried apricots, and prunes) without confusing or neutralizing them.

The mouthfeel is a just a bit gassier, which is to say sharper, than I would like. Its body is full and luscious; a perfect complement to its chocolatey taste. If only the foam on my tongue were as luscious and creamy as the beer's flavor demands...

I was fortunate to have had a handful of roasted nuts, dark and golden raisins, and a couple of chipotle chocolate almonds on hand as I enjoyed this beer. If you feel so inclined, I urge you to try any (or all) of these as snack pairings.

Why the perfect overall score despite the imperfect mouthfeel? Because the imperfection is so slight, and because Rogue's Chocolate Stout is not only among the best Chocolate Stouts out there, it is also among the best beers I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22oz silkscreened bottle and split with a friend. Appearance is black with no chance of light penetrating the beer. Thick tan head that maintains itself until the beer is gone. Smell is dark roasted malt with a load of dark chocolate. Some coffee hints as well. Taste is heavenly. Evenly balanced dark malts with bitter chocolate combine to form a nearly perfect beer. Coffee and blackened malt hints creep in as well. Mouthfeel is thick but very palateable. Drinkability is also way up there, I could have glass after glass of this. Overall, one of the best beers that I have ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Goddamn I love this beer. I used to take three of the 22oz bottles to keg parties in college so I could avoid The Beast and use the chocolate taste to pick up chicks.

I was lame; what can I say?

But since that time, I've gotten a job, gotten responsible, and gotten engaged -- and I still love this brew. Simply amazing.

Smells like freshly baked chocolate cake served with a glass of chocolate millk finished off with a Hershey's chocolate bar for dessert.

Flavor starts with an intense sweetness driven primarily by CHOCOLATE. It's balanced on the back end by some roasted malt and palate-cleansing hop flavor.

Just awesome in every way.

poured a 22oz bomber into a pint glass

a- just as expected, dark as night, nice tan ring that lingers around the glass for the drinking session...do not pour this beer too aggressively or it will turn on you (personal experience).

s- chocolate....smmmooottthhh. could not be improved upon period

t- wow chocolate milk with a touch of baileys thrown in...this beer will make even a novice fall in love with stout...another tongue-job from rogue...thanks guys...

m- smooth as a brazilian wax...very nice high five

d- i could drink these through a divorce, then again through alimony...thank you rogue...a nice session stout.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

L:Thick dark black color with no light to be seen coming through. Mocha colored head that stays.
S:Awesome pungent smell of really dark chocolate.
T:Frickin awesome chocolate. Like some insanely smooth cholate. Milk flavor lingers through out. Light hops continue after each swallow.
M:Feel like cold melted chocolate with a warming sensation. A slightly hard fizz
D:Amazing chocolate stout. Hands down the best chocolate stout I have had to date

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer appears black and pours a thick head that doesn't last long, but leaves lace on the glass. It smells like Count Chockula or nestle quick mix, chocolatey goodness. The tastes are cocoa, oats, tons of malts, a bit of hoppy bitterness, and more chocolate. It finishes with a nice roasty, cocoa flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth, thick, chewy, velvety, and tiny bubbles. My favorite chocolate stout so far, this beer is delicious, rich, and so smooth it can creep up on you.

4.94/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: Pours a thick, rich liquid that's more impenetrably blackish brown than any other beer I've seen. Brownish head is not much but extremely dense and slow to dissipate

Smell: Chocolate hits at the forefront but it's right alongside some slight oatmeal/coffee smells like those that are common with porters.

Taste: Absolutely amazing taste from the very second it hits your lips. Immense mouthfeel, and generally just one of the richest taste profiles I've ever had in a chocolate stout. It's chocolatey beyond belief but also balanced with just about everything I love about stouts/porters being at least slightly involved in the mix here. A bit of coffee, a bit of oatmeal, a bit of caramel, but still chocolate is at the center here. Everything else plays a huge role though, and it just feels creamy and rich as anything here. It's very powerful in its level of chocolate, the density and power of its taste, the chocolate taste, the way the other flavors influence but never overwhelm... I seriously just want to keep taking huge gulps of this. It's insane. There's not much to be said about the flavor changing much throughout the swallow, it's pretty much just a richly accented chocolate stout through and through, but the chocolate flavor definitely does develop from biting cocoa to chocolate milk to dark chocolate bitterness throughout its mouthful, and there's a slight coffee taste that shows up and lingers on the back-end. I personally think it's an all-around perfect beer, but I feel like the taste and mouthfeel at least are undeniably perfect for a stout.

22oz bottle.

Pours a dark brown to black color with a dark tan head that thickens and rises quite a bit after the pour.

Smells of sweet chocolate and malt. A hint of spice

Taste is a deep chocolate and roasted malt. Follows up with a gingerbread taste. It's like a chocolate-gingerbread-coffee cookie.

I have to say that is one hell of a brew. It has a lot of complexity to it. Definitely not for the average joe.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Yep, this may be one of my highest rated beers according to style right now. In effect, this beer is the wonderful Shakespear stout with additional chocolate mixed in. I have gone through a case of bombers this winter and could not have been more pleased.

Color- wonderful rich blackness with a nice brown 1 fingerred head
Taste - literally Shakespear witht he chocolate turned up
Smell - did I mention the chocolate, purely seductive with hints of roasted malt and coffee

This could easily be a gateway beer for chocolate lovers. A truly wonderful stout that is just beautifully crafted and will consistently bring a smile to your face with each sip.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Sampled most recently on 1/15/04. Transcribed from notes.
Oh my! Simply put it doesn't get much better than this (from a bottle anyhow). Pours black as an accountant's soul with a burnt umber shard at the bottom. A luxurious, frothy cacao colored head that is tenaciously stubborn tops the brew and gives it a regal look. The smell is initially sweet like hot chocolate before moving onto more bitter, toasted notes of chocolate and creamed coffee. The taste is outlandishly appealing. Chocolate upon chocolate with the hops and alcohol more apparent when warmed. It is sweeter and more complex, not to mention more enjoyable, when allowed to warm a bit. It has a unique finish which is both green and creamy. Mouthfeel is great. Chewy, complex and mildly carbonated...perhaps slightly thin for the style. There is a lot going on here. Drinkability is perhaps a little too good. More?

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

I cannot think of enough good things to say about this beer. After I first had it, I spent another year looking for it again (it was a one-off shipment to my hometown, and they haven't had it in, since). Now that whole foods up here in Bellevue has it, I'm a very happy man.

This beer is everything a chocolate stout should be - it's dark, pillowy-headed, richly flavored, with just the right mix of beer and chocolate. Not too little or too much alcohol. Perfection in a glass.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Served in an imperial pint glass from a 22 oz bomber with a picture of a lady on the front that eerily resembles my mother...

Pours an opaque black color with a perfectly fluffy and fronthy cappucino head that stays around the whole time and leaves lacing all up and down the glass. Perfect appearance in my opinion.

Smells of Hershey kisses or a big Hershey bar. Wonderful. Not much in the way of hops. Notes of caramel and even vanilla as well. Smells like a chocolate cake in a glass. Wonderful.

Exceptional taste. The chocolate flavor is the predominant flavor in this stout. Wonderful, creamy chocolate taste. Tastes like a mix of a dark chocolate and milk chocolate thrown into a barrel of quality stout. There is actually a bit of hoppines in there as well. A tiny hop bite hits the back of the tongue as the tasty beverage flows down the gullet. I really cant think of a better dessert beer. I am enjoying this heavenly brew with a Reese's cup and boy is it tasty!!

Slight points detracted for the lingering bitterness in the end. Nothing bad, but the mouthfeel is just slighlty too bitter. However, I cant remember a better beer I have ever had. Bravo!

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Have to admit...I REALLY like this one. Everything about it screams Rogue. They are a top notch brewery that puts out top notch stuff. This one is the epitome of choc stouts. Dark...basically totally opaque. Sweet chocolaty goodness whafting during pour and drinking. Taste..sweeet and smooth. Minor in thickness-lacking but thicker than 75% of others in the stout category. Almost too drinkable...and at the price, I had to cut myself off. Great beer!...GO GET ONE. NOW!

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

I enjoyed this 22-ounce beer in a Belgian glass. It pours out a solid black with a dark mocha head that is gone in seconds. A darker head than usual, looks like serious stuff. No lacing, but some impressive oily sheeting action, more indicative of an Imperial than a regular stout. Not sure how proper that is for the style, but it's nice enough looking, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt score-wise. As I was getting near the end of this sampling, I thought I noticed dregs in the glass, so I gently enjoyed my last sips with an eye on the bottom to see. Sure enough, there is a tiny bit of sediment in the glass, chocolate solids I suppose.

The aroma is hot fudge, Hershey's syrup, a sheer joy to sniff. And sniff, and sniff. *Man* that's good!

The taste involves a great range of chocolate effects. Initially, the malty sweetness creates more of a milk chocolate taste, but only briefly. As the carbonation kicks in, so does some bitterness, and the taste transforms to bittersweet chocolate, even baking chocolate. As the swallow ensues, some of the more standard porter properties emerge - dark roastiness, charcoal taste, and a lingering bitterness. The chocolate never quite goes away, however, you just get new and different aspects of how it combines with the other ingredients as the taste develops and then winds down. The aftertaste is bitterness in the back, chocolate in the middle. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel is heavy, smooth and silky, fairly oily, and right on to make this chocolate stout near edible. Wonderfully coating like a layer of chocolate frosting for the mouth!

Drinkability - I enjoy fine chocolate as it is, Valrhona Noir Amer being one of my favorites, and Callebaut. This beer is so deliciously chocolaty I could sip it all night long. It's just too good to stay away from!

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

The nectar of the gods. Manna from heaven.

The most amazing beer I've ever tasted. Rich chocolate aroma and oh, the finish. The finish is pure bittersweet chocolate powder. Just sweet enough. I suppose it is possible for a beer to be better than this, but it would be darn tough.

This beer leaves Young's Double Chocolate in the dust, and Young's ain't chump change.

The only downside is that availability is poor in the Dallas area.

22 oz. bomber with no freshness date

Appearance: deep dark black with brown hues and a creamy tan head.

Smell: CHOCOLATE, scent of sweet chocolate, vanilla and even a little coffee.

Taste: From start to finish its a refreshing taste of sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate. This beer has the most natural chocolate flavor of any i have had. Hops are certainly there to round the beer out but the 69 IBU's certainly don't come across as bitter at all.

Drinkability: After ever sip you just want more and more. Alcohol is not really picked up on the palate. This beer is just so damn smooth and so damn tasty.

Overall: This beer was truely love at first taste, my favorite stout by far and one of, if not my favorite beer. Find it. Drink it. Enjoy

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales