Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

2.03/5  rDev -51.1%

22oz bomber pours a deep brown with a medium tan head. Aroma is immediately milk chocolate, dried fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg, some hops. Prominent, but not entirely to my liking. Above average carbonation for a stout. Taste is of solid milk chocolate easter bunny, with some nutty, spicy notes. Quite complex, but the chocolate is WAY too overpowering. More bitter spiciness and nutmeg in the finish. Chocolate strays to bitter as it warms. Seems to be a quality brew, but to me this stuff is foul.

Granted this is a chocolate stout, but the chocolate is way too overpowering. A complex, well crafted brew, but the over the top chocolate and spices just aren't for me. It was like trying to drink a melted Hershey bar. I couldn't finish it.

2.03/5  rDev -51.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Nearly opaque black with brown elements. A two-finger tan head dissolves quickly into a ring and leaves spots of lacing down the glass.

S: Chocolate is very strong in the nose, accompanied by roasted malt and hints of coffee.

T: As with the nose, strong chocolate dominates the taste, giving a VERY sweet introduction with a slight coffee bean mid-taste. Roasted malts round out the mid-flavor, but chocolate pulls through again for a strongly sweet finish with a little kick of coffee. Very light alcohol presence. Overall, it's cloying, like drinking a melted Hershey's bar.

M: Full-bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth, sticky, and coats the mouth heavily. This syrupiness is the beer's downfall after 10oz or so.

D: A solid chocolate stout -- delivers the mouthfeel and impressive presence. However, it lacks staying power. It's just too sweet to drink more than one 12ozer, and this bomber is hard to finish beyond the halfway point. I enjoyed it at first, but by the end I was completely sick of it and I never want to have it again.

2.1/5  rDev -49.4%

Bomber to pint glass. Sampled 8/26/11 - This bottle is about two years old at the time of this review.

A: Pours with a huge 5 finger head, foamy and bubbling, medium brown in color and very long lasting. The body is as dark as brown gets.

S: Chocolate, caramel and cookie. The nose is decent, but beyond the cocoa aromas, there is little left to be enjoyed.

T: Rather one dimensional - and offering nothing more than the simple nose.

M: The mouthfeel doesn't give the flavor a chance to shine. Very light and incredibly thin. Carbonation is lively and fizzy, but with the insubstantial body, it works as a detriment, lacking the fullness that is expected in a stout.

O: This will probably be my last review of a beer brewed by Rogue. Whether it's the quality of the brew, or the house yeast-strain, I know that they don't push my buttons.

2.15/5  rDev -48.2%

I don't know, I've seen so many good ratings on this brew but I got to say I'm dissapointed. Taste like a weak ale with a shot of chocolate syrup. I guess it's just not my cup of stout! No body very thin feel in the mouth. Just not a pleasant drink.

2.17/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Chocolate stouts, Yummy, I really had a lot of good ones from the UK, so can wait to try my first chocolate stout from the US! Shared the bottle with PapaEugene.
Poured into a palm glass. The beer pours a very black color (no light comes true) with a great light-brown, fluffy head, and a very stable and sticky lacing.

Smell: Very strong (artificial) chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, some roasted malts and vanilla.

Taste: Full of cheap supermarket chocolate taste (the one that has more fat in it than cacao). Much more roasted malts present than the smell indicates. Coffee, citrus (orange). Aftertaste is bitter, dry with long lasting vanilla.

Mouthfeel: a bit fatty, thin-bodied with medium-carbonation.

Overall: This is not what I expect from a chocolate stout. I expect a balanced beer, where the chocolate taste comes from a careful an long lasting selection, optimization and combination of the correct malts which give the chocolate taste to beer. I read on the bottle that the brewers ADDED chocolate to this beer. Come on, amateurs, take your time to brew a beer with a natural chocolate taste, instead of mimicking one. Call some brewers in the UK (e.g. Sam Smith), they might be able to help you, because they have centuries of experience. This a for me a typical bigger, better faster beer....what a shame. Beer should be a natural product....

2.17/5  rDev -47.7%

Wow. No me gusta.

Pours an opaque black, thin light tan head. Surprisingly thin mouthfeel. Actually smells okay, nice and chocolatey.

Taste is milk chocolate, maybe a bit of roasted malt (the chocolate is completely overwhelming), and a horrible, horrible bitter after-taste. It's actually giving me a stomach ache. I don't know what it is, but the sensation I'd describe is that it is like drinking burnt, bitter chocolate in liquid form. Oddly enough, this is layered over an increasingly cloying chocolate sweetness.

I drainpour a beer basically never (Samuel Adams Triple Bock being the other example I can think of). A good third of this puppy went right down the sink.

2.2/5  rDev -47%

On the last beer tasting evening with rvdoorn, he showed up with this big bottle of chocolate stout. I expected a lot from it considering the ratings.

A: BLACK it is! with a thick brown head.

S: CHOCOLATE... overpowering. Some roasted malts in the back and a hint of vanilla.

T: Very fatty milk chocolate. Much too intense for my likes. Roasted malts and a citrus/vanilla aftertaste.

M: Oily, medium carbonation and a light body.

D: Well, not my style at all. I like stouts were the chocolate tones comes naturally. It often takes brewers ages to get that refined taste. This is a quick shot and therefor highly unbalanced. Will not drink this again. For me adding huge amounts of chocoalte is the same as adding chemicals to beer.

2.23/5  rDev -46.3%

Appearance: Pour is a dark ruby mahogany, not much lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt and citric/acidic malts. Not nearly as much chocolate than I expected.

Taste: This is rogue, so of course they decided to make a "chocolate" stout and load it with hops instead of chocolate. A bit disappointing. Hops + Chocolate = bad combination. Actually was more chocolate barley wine, either way not a fan.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but a bit acidic.

Drinkability: Low, didn't finish the bomber.

I prefer Choklat. But, I am so far off from everyone on this I am going to give it another shot and write a fresh review.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.28/5  rDev -45.1%

So it's officially my birthday now, but it was officially my coworker's birthday a few minutes ago when this beverage started to be consumed by him. Being that we have to be at work in about 8 hours, he decided, against my better judgment, that he needed to start making the walk up the hill to better prepare himself for the morning. I'm still not sure what this was all about. But, it was a free beer. As it sat for 23 seconds unmanned, I pondered my course of action. I was then able to determine that this was clearly an early birthday present from John Maier himself in some sort of misguided attempt to assuage me into liking Rogue beers. I obliged him. The milky chocolate dominates the beer, at first a delightful treat fading into a cloying sweet Nesquik chocolate drink. It smells great, thick chocolate rising into the air. But the chocolate is compromised somehow. It is no Theo's chocolate, a thing of pure glory. Sort of a fake chocolate luster. "Natural chocolate flavoring." What was wrong with chocolate? Too chocolatey? Not chocolatey enough? Whatever, it is what it is. Just a thick and sweet malty brew, not awful, not undrinkable, just not worth spending my money on. Sorry, John, I tried again..to be continued..(next season)

2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

I'll start with saying that maybe this one just isn't in my wheelhouse.

I picked up a bottle of RCS because of its high rating here. I'm not impressed. The "chocolate" is a stretch. It's not in the flavor, and at best maybe my breath smells a little like Kaluha. Once it warms up I guess it smells like a chocolate syrup a little.

The poured head is great - huge and almost as thick as whipped cream. Neat effect.

The beer? Rouge's Coffee Grounds Stout might be a better name. Some folks must be into that flavor. For me, no thanks. If you're going to drink it, let it come closer to room temperature first. I found it more tolerable that way. Thin body that I wouldn't expect from such a dark, frothy brew.

2.38/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of this beer. I don't like the overt chocolate flavor. I don't think chocolate belongs in beer...except Young's Double chocolate which seems to be much less overt in the chocolate department but I know they add chocolate to that beer. In the Rogue beer they add chocolate flavoring...tastes and smells like Nestlea Quik to me actually. Really quite an artificial tasting beer to me. The mouthfeel is quite thin too. Not quite sure how this is top ranked...#19???? better than Thomas Hardy's? Hennepin??? Celebration? Man...crazyness in my opinion.

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Super dark brown, almost black. Non-existent head. Wisps of khaki colored foam ghost as cap and collar. Some tiny streaks of lacing.

Smell: Huge chocolate. Chocolate malts and tons of milk chocolate. Some darker chocolate, but it's mainly and massively sweet milk chocolate. Some roasted malts underneath. Tons of roasted barley. It's a melted Hershey bar. Low-grade chocolate. Distinct Rogue Pacman yeast. Sweet and roasty.

Taste: Roasty dark chocolate and chocolate malts. Bitter cocoa edge. Tannic. Tons of milk chocolate and the missing cocoa powder from the nose. Mildly earthy and distinctly Rogue. Yeasty undertone. roasted barley with an undercurrent of oats. So much chocolate and not necessarily in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Vague notions of carbonation. Body has hints of creamy and smooth. Medium body overall.

Overall: Oh Rogue, you so silly with your gamble chocolate.

Acrid in its roast and sweet in its chocolate. Add to that some Pacman yeast and it falls apart at the seams. Lots of flavor that feels thin and flat.

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

I, as well as a handfull of reviewers out of hundreds, found dissapointment in this beer.

The body is black with a dark mahogany tint when held by a light. The head is brown, but it looks thin like when pouring and MGD. Head fades quickly as suspected.

I found the chocolate smell to be overpowering. Right away you know what you're getting into with this beer. It is a smell of bitter chocolate, and not chocolate malts either. We're talking just ground from the cocoa bean chocolate, not sweet. I later read the ingredients on the bottle, which is a nice touch I must say, but I was dissapointed in "chocolate flavoring". Flavoring? So, really they mean a chocolate flavored syrup, am I right? I do hope that there is no high fructose corn syrup in this beer.

Once again I find the chocolate taste completely overpowering. I don't taste any coffee, toffee, or burnt nodes of flavor...just chocolate flavoring.
I do believe I bought this beer to taste, well, beer instead of a masking chocolate taste. It finishes with an oat bitterness that is better than the beer when in mid-swig.

Oats and barley help out in this department. Whether the oats are used as an adjunct to improve the mouthfeel or it's actually part of the intended flavor, I do not know. What I do know is that for a stout it was pretty average with the oats and co. helping to just make the deadline.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the chocolate taste is just too bitter and overbearing. I'm suspicious of the "flavoring", but happy that they printed it so I could think about it in the first place. Points for honesty. I won't have another of these for a very long time if I can help it. I would much rather have a Young's Double Choc. Stout (in the bottle, not can). They probably use flavoring, too, but I feel it is done much better.

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

A bomber, split with a friend, and poured into a CBS snifter.

A: Dark as the night, with a half finger mocha head that quickly dissipates.

S: Cocoa powder and more bitter chocolate malt dominate the nose.

T: A very sweet, light stout. Thin, fake chocolate flavor with bitter malts mid-sip. The finish is a very light chocolate, with a lingering bitterness.

M: Light, thin, highly carbonated...too carbonated.

O: Fairly unimpressive. It's pleasantly light if you're looking for a
light, sweet stout, but it pales in comparison to other chocolate stouts, such as SouthernTier Choklat.

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

How can this brew beat Young's Luxury Double Stout, or even Double Black Stout by Redhook, I will never know. The chocolate flavor so dominates this brew, that I can barely taste the stout. This fails in combining the best of stout and chocolate because, it is just chocolate without any marriage of beer flavor.

This is a dry, dry beer and the chocolate tasted artificial.

Maybe this is review is low because I had the Choco-bear bottling.

On second tasting a week or too later I had to lower my review. This is a suboptimal beer.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales