Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

JoninVT, Feb 27, 2013

Sorachi, Nov 26, 2013

DangYankee, May 03, 2014

Filabee, Apr 05, 2014

Tamaquadan, Aug 28, 2013

TFMyriad, Jul 25, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Aug 21, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

Very dark in appearance & nice aroma. Huge creamy head & medium body, but the flavors did not taste at all integrated. Each sip tasted like a dark beer, but then the chocolate aftertaste lingeredfor what seemed like forever. I like dark beer & I like chocolatr, but this combo was not appealing to me. And while the label lists "natural chocolate flavoring", it tasted artificial to me. Not a beer I would seek out.

Strawbs, Jan 01, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown with a quite thick light brown head.

Aroma: Mild chocolate tones dominate. All other aromas are quite muted.

Taste: Lots of carbonation takes away from the chocolate(which is detectable) and any other flavors that might be present.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive, IMO. Too much carbonation creates an unwanted, flavorless void.

Drinkability: Not at all excited about this one. Doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Won't try again.

winomark, Dec 10, 2003

22 oz bomber

Pours a thick ceamy head and then disapates quickly. This beer is heavily carbonated with a strong scent of chocolate and malt. Not as strong or smooth as I hoped considering Shakespear's taste. I even tried to pare with chocolate and found it very dissapointing. This beer had no substance to it and left me hanging! Hope next years batch is better!

boulevard2, Apr 11, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured a midnight black with a nice creamy mocha head. Very nice lacing that lingered as I drank it down.

Smell is pure chocolate, rather heavenly, but nothing else.

Taste is overpowering chocolate and some maltiness. Way too much chocolate in this for me. I do love chocolate stouts (Youngs & Brooklyn my favorites), but this one is like drinking a chocolate malt, doesn't taste like a beer.

I split a bomber with my friend & we both could barely finish our half, not very drinkable.

A rather disappointing chocolate stout from Rogue

FLBeerGuy, Feb 22, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

bomber shared with my gf. snifter.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a thin cap of sudsy, tan foam. head calms slowly, leaving thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - cocoa powder, sourdough bread, grassy hops.

t - cocoa powder with an herbal bitterness that totally dominates the flavor profile. has an off putting chemical aftertaste that gets really nasty as the beer warms, i'm assuming from the added flavoring.

m - full bodied with lots of carbonation. finer co2 profile.

o - meh. would be enjoyable if it weren't for the weird chemical flavors. one of the few beers i have ever drainpoured. probably won't be buying anything from rogue again.

divineaudio, Mar 22, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Pitch black color with a 2 finger tan foamy head with good retention. Smells of chocolate and cocoa. The taste is chocolate, cocoa, and some burnt bitterness. Not as much sweet chocolate as the smell would suggest. More roasted malt flavor comes forward.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected, and there is quite a bit of carbonation. The mouthfeel is the weakest part of the beer.

hardy008, Mar 30, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

ChoqlitStout, Jan 20, 2008

Scott_McCool, Oct 27, 2013

squirrel49, Apr 27, 2014

craftbrew502, Jan 10, 2013

TonyTalon, May 22, 2012

DrewBoll82, Feb 16, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

650ml bottle 6,0% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No Bottle date.

Appearance: Rogue Chocolate stout appears pitch black in the glass , with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges of the glass (this stuff is pretty dark for the Abv.). A standard pour yields a massive dark tan coloured head. The head displays fantastic retention and leaves beautiful rings of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Given all the great reviews, the nose is actually quite disappointing. There is a fair amount of chocolate, but it seems somewhat fake and more like chocolate flavour than actual chocolate. Other notes include: Oats, toasted malt and some creamy caramel.

Taste: As with the nose the flavour is rather disappointing. There isn't a ton of flavour and the beer comes across as somewhat watery. There is a fair amount of (fake) chocolate flavour, some roasted malt, a toasty character and a pleasant bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this doesn't work at all, the body is thin and watery. The carbonation is okayish at a medium-high level but it is a little harsh.

Overall: Another shitty beer from Rogue, I can't see I'll be buying anything more from these guys.

Thehuntmaster, Jan 18, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

brianandpiper, Feb 02, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -32%

Presentation: 650ml bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep brown/black, completely opaque in appearance. Pours with massive brown/tan head, which fades slowly to but a thin coating, leaving heavy lacing.

S- Chocolate syrup odor wafts up, and grassy hoppiness there if I bury my nose deep.

T- Starts off bland with a burnt coffee finish. I was too impatient, perhaps, and needed to let it warm. As it warms, vague hints of chocolate appear (still less prominent than expected), and the coffee finish mellows substantially. Still disappointed.

M- Medium/light....thinner than I had hoped.

D- Eh....ok. Not too heavy, but I can't imagine even a fan wanting more than this bomber worth.

Future outlook: Disappointed in this one. Doubtful that I will revisit it anytime soon.

DoctorDog, Nov 07, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a 650 ML bottle into a brandy snifter, this beer presented itself well. A deep dark burnt umber with a very decent mocha colored head that to some degree lingered to the end. Aroma of chocolate...period. The smell was pure chocolate and lacked the other nuances of a typically well done chocolate stout. Stir in a spoonful of dark coco into your next porter or stout and you'll get the idea. The taste was, frankly, disappointing. An unpleasant bitterness lingered after each sip. Once you get past the chocolate, you're kind of drinking a Guinness with a little more body. Whether this bitterness comes from bakers chocolate or a big shot of hops...or both, I couldn't tell. But to my palate, this stuff is unpleasant. The bitter aftertaste lasts until you brush your teeth. From previous reviews, I expected better. I'll take a Young's Double Chocolate, thank you.

theBubba, Feb 19, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. It was black in color with slight carb but tons of lacing. It had a very large brown head that very, very slowly settled into a thick constant foam.

The aroma was very weak. I'm battling spring allergies so even had the wife take a sniff. We both had to really swirl the glass and then breath deep to get much. What was there was good. Cocoa and coffee mainly with some milk chocolate in the back. The taste was very disappointing. Chalky with a very bitter middle and end. I like bitter but this seemed out of place and the wrong bitter if that makes sense. Also getting a lot of watery taste as well. Normally, I'd chalk this up to a bad bottle but I tried this about 6 months ago and it tasted exactly the same. I didn't review it then because I thought it was a bad bottle but now I think that it's just the way it is. I really wanted to like this one as I love the style and it's readily accessible but really didn't enjoy. After half a bottle it really became a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment - see above for why. Could I possibly have had 2 bad bottles? Seems unlikely but I'm way off from other reviewers that normally I find a lot in common with. Since it's Rogue, I'll give it one more chance down the road. Unless dramatic improvement, one and done.

TexIndy, Mar 25, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -30.3%

A- When poured into a glass it has a very nice dark brown head that stays around a while. The color of the beer is dark brown with a hint of translucense.

S- Very strong burnt smell too it. Almost too much. Drowns out most of the other flavoring to it.

T- Again, very strong burnt taste to it. I can taste some of the chocolate and other flavors to it. Unfortunately the overpowering taste is the burnt coffee. Burnt is the correct word too because the taste is more than just roasted coffee. If the burnt flavor is toned down this could be a good beer.

M- Good mouthfeel, little light for my taste but is still a medium body.

D- This wasn't an enjoyable beer. The burnt coffee dominated every aspect of this beer and not in a pleasant way. Something a little more subtle is more to my liking.

DackAchan, Oct 23, 2007