Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Very dark in appearance & nice aroma. Huge creamy head & medium body, but the flavors did not taste at all integrated. Each sip tasted like a dark beer, but then the chocolate aftertaste lingeredfor what seemed like forever. I like dark beer & I like chocolatr, but this combo was not appealing to me. And while the label lists "natural chocolate flavoring", it tasted artificial to me. Not a beer I would seek out.

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown with a quite thick light brown head.

Aroma: Mild chocolate tones dominate. All other aromas are quite muted.

Taste: Lots of carbonation takes away from the chocolate(which is detectable) and any other flavors that might be present.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive, IMO. Too much carbonation creates an unwanted, flavorless void.

Drinkability: Not at all excited about this one. Doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Won't try again.

22 oz bomber

Pours a thick ceamy head and then disapates quickly. This beer is heavily carbonated with a strong scent of chocolate and malt. Not as strong or smooth as I hoped considering Shakespear's taste. I even tried to pare with chocolate and found it very dissapointing. This beer had no substance to it and left me hanging! Hope next years batch is better!

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a midnight black with a nice creamy mocha head. Very nice lacing that lingered as I drank it down.

Smell is pure chocolate, rather heavenly, but nothing else.

Taste is overpowering chocolate and some maltiness. Way too much chocolate in this for me. I do love chocolate stouts (Youngs & Brooklyn my favorites), but this one is like drinking a chocolate malt, doesn't taste like a beer.

I split a bomber with my friend & we both could barely finish our half, not very drinkable.

A rather disappointing chocolate stout from Rogue

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

bomber shared with my gf. snifter.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a thin cap of sudsy, tan foam. head calms slowly, leaving thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - cocoa powder, sourdough bread, grassy hops.

t - cocoa powder with an herbal bitterness that totally dominates the flavor profile. has an off putting chemical aftertaste that gets really nasty as the beer warms, i'm assuming from the added flavoring.

m - full bodied with lots of carbonation. finer co2 profile.

o - meh. would be enjoyable if it weren't for the weird chemical flavors. one of the few beers i have ever drainpoured. probably won't be buying anything from rogue again.

2.69/5  rDev -35.2%

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black color with a 2 finger tan foamy head with good retention. Smells of chocolate and cocoa. The taste is chocolate, cocoa, and some burnt bitterness. Not as much sweet chocolate as the smell would suggest. More roasted malt flavor comes forward.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected, and there is quite a bit of carbonation. The mouthfeel is the weakest part of the beer.

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

2.76/5  rDev -33.5%

2.78/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle 6,0% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No Bottle date.

Appearance: Rogue Chocolate stout appears pitch black in the glass , with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges of the glass (this stuff is pretty dark for the Abv.). A standard pour yields a massive dark tan coloured head. The head displays fantastic retention and leaves beautiful rings of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Given all the great reviews, the nose is actually quite disappointing. There is a fair amount of chocolate, but it seems somewhat fake and more like chocolate flavour than actual chocolate. Other notes include: Oats, toasted malt and some creamy caramel.

Taste: As with the nose the flavour is rather disappointing. There isn't a ton of flavour and the beer comes across as somewhat watery. There is a fair amount of (fake) chocolate flavour, some roasted malt, a toasty character and a pleasant bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this doesn't work at all, the body is thin and watery. The carbonation is okayish at a medium-high level but it is a little harsh.

Overall: Another shitty beer from Rogue, I can't see I'll be buying anything more from these guys.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales