Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Picked up a single at Steve's liquor here in Madison.

Pours pitch black, maybe the blackest stout I've seen. Barely a glitter of light through the edges when held up to a light. Big two finger coffee colored head with excellent retention and good lacing. Smell is amazing - cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, dark baker's choclate. I almost don't want to stop smelling it. Taste doesn't disappoint though. Same multi-faceted chocolate flavors as in the nose, with some mocha, espresso, and a slight hoppy bite in the finish. Not the most complex overall taste package, but a delicious one nonetheless. Mouthfeel is fairly well carbonated, smooth, yet crisp. I have found that Rougue Ales tend to be delicious, but fairly one-dimensional. Out of the 4 Rougues I've tried (Hazelnut Nectar, Mocha Porter and Shakespeare being the others) this is the most robust and interesting. Simply a world class stout if you like chocolate. Not overpoweringly sweet. Just the right amount of coffee/hop bitterness. A must try for any stout lover.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle obtained from Superior Liquor (Colorado) and consumed a couple evenings later in August 2005. Pours a two finger dark brown head over a pitch black liquid. No edging when held to light. Smells...wow. Chocolate, molasses, a hint of roast. Sweet, malty, chocolatey. Desert. Chocolate dominating the flavor with bourbon cherries underneath. Campfire wood. Fudge-cicle. Okay, a minute of sniffing and the head is a thin layer over the beer...what's it taste like? Starts chocolate with some cherry (ie, black patent) sour. While these start strong, they become very powerful during the swallow and in the aftertaste. As they rise, they get a more refined quality and a faint espresso/coffee-roast steps in, too. As strong as the flavors are, I'm surprised the flavors aren't clinging to my tongue. The body is heavy, but not thick. The finish is quite clean. Dry actually, with some hop bitter. A touch of citrusy hop flavor puts the chocolate on guard. Oddly, there is a flavor in my mouth, like I just toked on a cigarette after several months without one. Nah, maybe it's just a bit of wood flavor, like the wood that I found in the smell. Anyway, this was a really enjoyable beer. As much as I hate Rogue for the overpriced offerings they've recently put out (you know those bottles that are super-premium priced in flashy but stupid bottles), I have to admit, they make really tasty beers.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

JET BLACK!!! I've visited the rogue brewery a handfull of times and this is a must ...I hate chocolate...I love this beer...how can that be? Super fine carbonation cascades with every pull. Tan head leaves spider web lace. Well... they have crafted this puppy so beautifly that even a chocolate sweets hater like myself can love this beer..Mmmm

It feels like velvet...slick and oily but not too rich OMG....after visiting and watching american beer DVD I realize how much care the owner of this brewery puts into every beer...it tastes like they used as much chocolate as water or any other ingredient super strong flavor.

Notes: If you drink it cold it has a dry coffee type characteristic. When it warmed the chocolate was in control.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

This was an exceedingly dark brown brew that initially had a four-finger brown head. The head slowly turned light tan, then died away over several minutes.

Aroma was of rich bitter chocolate and dark, slightly roasted malts. It was a little sweet, but not too much so.

Taste was indeed sweeter than the aroma, full of richly roasted malt, doffee notes, and hints of sweet chocolate. A very nice combination.

Mouthfeel was excellent... smooth and creamy, yet full of body.

Drinkability was exceedingly good. Although I like stouts, I am not what could be termed a stout lover... my favorite style is double IPA, so I prefer much hoppier, somewhat lighter beers... but I could have had another of these, and it was in a 22 oz. bomber.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

650 ML bottle. "Made With Imported Chocolate".

Yum.

Pitch black body with a tan, thich head. Nice lacing clings to the glass. Smells like chocolate and roasted malts. Taste is of powdered and dark chocolate, fruit and roasted malts. Crisp and light on the palate.

Had this brew for dessert tonight. Didn't need anything else. An excellent way to end the night. I put off trying this brew for some time, mostly because I tend to take Rogue's line for granted since it's so readily available. I'm glad I finally gave it a try. Will defintely be looking for this beer in the fall.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Pitch black color with a large creamy brown head. Smells rich with sweet chocolate, coffee malts, and a hint of bitter hops. The flavor is full of hints of burnt malts and bittersweet chocolate. Kind of like chocolate chips. A hint of bitter hops pull through. Full bodied and a creamy silky mouthfeel. Has a semi-dry bitter-sweet aftertaste. Damn, this is a good stout. One of the best flavored stouts I have ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

22 oz. brown bomber.

Darkest inky brown with a tall, pillowy tan head. Sporadic clinging of bubbles.

Chocolate smell. Huh, it isn't just a clever name. Coffee, estery alcohol, fruits also in the nose.

Full bodied, super creamy and smooth. Surprising hints of nutmeg and cinnamon fade into a round chocolate middle. Roasted malts and coffee flavors set in in the finish, with a long lasting bready aftertaste. Hops lend earthy undertones that pair nicely.

I had the first glass by itself and the second with a slice of cherry pie, can't go wrong either way. Very nice.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Bought a bomber for $4.99 and was waiting for the right, relaxed night to crack it open and sip it for over an hour. It was certainly worth the wait; even with all the hype, this is a kickass stout.

Appearance: Opaque of course, nice thick mocha-colored head. However, there wasn't much sticky lacing, which I expected (could be the glass). Also, the head dissipated quickly too (also could be the glass). Though I DID think the glass was clean. Still nice looking though, despite the absent trails of frothy goodness.

Smell: What I had hoped for. My thing with other chocolate stouts has (usually) been (though as my reviews show, some I still love) a beer that's too hoppy, or else not as balanced with creamy aromas of the many kinds of malts and sweeter ingredients. But this was totally creamy: dark and milky chocolate, real chocolate and chocolate malt mixing well, a sweet smell of powdered chocolate, slight coffee (though with cream and sugar, not bitter black coffee). Perfectly balanced and wonderful to get your nose in.

Taste: Chocolate insanity -- amazingly done. The coffee with cream and sugar aromas certainly come through, which adds an interesting twist to the powerful chocolate aromas. Not much hops flavor, though somehow it's handled without being too sweet or too overbearing. I don't see how a chocolate stout could get any better.

Mouthfeel: Silky, creamy, medium carbonation, not too thick of a body. Awesome.

Drinkability: I have to say, I wouldn't want this all the time. I would, however, like to try it with a dessert next time, as pairing this with many different things would probably make some amazing texture and flavor combinations. I'm going to get another one ASAP and save it again for another night, sipping for as long as possible.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is easily the best chocolate beer that I’ve had. Strong aromas of chocolate, along with the slightest hint of roasted coffee. The flavor is of authentic chocolate, not processed chocolate syrup, but REAL chocolate. The sweetness is well balanced by the hops and some Munich-ish malts. I’d be in big trouble if I could drink this all the time!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this one at the BP gas station for $4.00 so I said what the heck, rogue's been good to me. Then I look on the reviews and see this is Todd's highest reviewed beer ever. Some others mention that trying this should be a goal in life. Now my expectations are so much higher!

This just didn't happen. It's not even the best stout by Rogue (compared to the Shakespeare Stout). Excellent head and lacing and wonderful aroma. The taste just didn't seem like chocolate, much more mocha, coffee, and malty caramel. The warmer it gets, the better.

I still like it very much, but there's much bigger goals in life.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer pours black with brown head. The head stuck around for a little while but slowly faded into a ring around my glass. The nose is amazing. It smells like chocolate mixed with maple syrup. The flavor is also very chocolatey with sort of a maple flavor thing going on in there as well. I also detect some coffee flavor. This is the best stout I have had in a long time. Great mouthfeel. Nice and creamy with a full body. Very drinkable beer. A must try.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

(Big) bottle with a characteristic Rogue illustration on it. Poured dark brown with a massive dense light-UPS-brown head that laced well. Organic chocholate and caramel on the nose, plenty of coffee too, something like burnt wood lingering too. Tastes just the same as it smells with the addition of one of the best feels (you just want to let it linger and caress your tongue) I've had. Given the stye I think the feel is not improvable. I can't say it's too drinkable though, although I'd certainly go for it, because it is a bit sensory overwhelming. Kinda of like the feeling I get when I have a nice Scotch with a fresh chocolate cookie.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Aroma shows a somewhat mild roasted malt that gets rounded out very subtly by the chocolate.
Very attrative black with a very dark head that is thick and recedes rocky and leaves a nice heavy lace.
Surprisinly bitter even with the roasty and somewhat sweet chocolate flavors. Dense. The finish gets more bitter the longer it lasts.
Full feel and thick and somewhat smooth. A little oily. Overall nice.
Flavor has Rogue quality, I'm assuming from the yeast. I like this, but not like others do, but it's not up to some of their other beers like Shakespeare.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer is insanely good.
A: Pours an atramentous shade of midnight ('sup Gus), moderate head. I heard about the smells of this one so I poured it in an oversized wine glass to get more out of the nose, but it spread the head out too much, now just a collar.

S: How good is this! Big smell of chocolate, probably the best smelling chocolate I've ever come across. Heavy notes of roasting cocoa beans. Amazing, wonderful, lovely, seductive chocolate notes. Hints of coffee and malt round out the smells to absolute perfection. I haven't had an olfactory delight like this in years. I really have to pull myself away from the glass to take a sip.

T: More of that lovely chocolate cascades all around my mouth, inviting, caressing. Dark malts peek through followed by a big hit of hoppy bitterness. Amazing balance of flavors, everything is just right and in just the right levels. Have you ever melted a piece of Toblerone in some strong coffee? I had a drink like that in a department store in the United Arab Emirates, this beer is bringing back memories of that experience. Finish just lingers and lingers, never ending merging of chocolate sweetness and dark coffee bitterness.

M: Does the pleasure never end? This beer is very big in body, chewy and silky, rich and creamy. Carbonation level feels lower than it is, the bubbles feel like they are being buffered by the beer. Alcohol is very well masked.

D&N: I think if I ever have this on cask, I may drop dead of the sheer pleasure. I'm trying very hard to fight giving this one fives across the board, I can picture this one on cask and it haunts me. The brewers at Rogue have come up with a true masterpiece. One of the finest beers I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. This isn't beer, this is pure indulgence in liquid form. Buy this beer if you see it. Buy three. It's that good.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This is by far one of my favorite beers, and I've had it both on-tap and from a 22oz bottle. Pours out nice and dark, with a creamy tan head.

Smells absouletly awesome, like chocolate, obviously. Reminds me of hot chocolate, but it's cold, and beer. Smells so wonderful that I wish I could inhale it all.

Taste matches up with the smells, except a bit more dry and bitter. Nice roasted malts. Flavored with oats and chocolate, and a bit of the hops poke through. Excellent taste.

Medium carbonation, but altogether very smooth. Leaves my mouth a touch dry.

I could drink these all night, but I could see where it would be filling for some. Excellent with a meal, but stands strong by itself as a dessert beer.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

seeing as how youngs double chocolate stout is probably my favorite beer going around, other chocolate stouts have a fair bit to live up to in my eyes. after trying the rogues interpretation, twas as i expected. not as good as youngs, but still very nice, and very american.

lovely deep brown color with a cocoa colored head which was fair to middling. some bubbling here and there but nothing too potent. this beer smelled of only one thing - chocolate. it was as tho someone had dropped a hersheys bar in my beer.it has a very rich and inviting smell, and a little dryness tickles the nose. the taste is pretty good, if a little unbalanced. starts out with smooth chocky flavors, giving way to a slightly roasted hint. silky texture up to the point the beer slams into a huge blast of bitter hops. this just didnt work for mine. the taste was slick, the hops were far too bold and agressive. they tended to take everything over, as they so often do in US beers. just didnt balance with the flavors. on this basis i wouldnt drink more than one of these at a time, and wouldnt drink it over youngs at any stage.

i still enjoyed this beer, but i think its possibly just a tad overrated. if you want a smooth chocolate stout, get youngs, if you want a big, robust and intensely hoppy stout, get shakespeare or storm king. this is somewhere inbetween, and its not so much fencesitting as trying to get the best of both worlds. in my assessment it doesnt quite work.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This was one of the earliest craft beers that really hooked me into the world of better beer. Even though I've tried SEVERAL beers since then, including many American stouts, this one is still one of my favorites.

Appearance and smell. Dark as night. Modest brown head, that subsides into a nice lacing that never dissapears. Smells like dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel. Thick and creamy, just the way I like it. Is it just me, or does my glass feel heavier than usual?

Taste. If you leave this in a cold fridge for a long time, like long enough to get the temp down to slightly below 40F, you will be overwhelmed by chocolate on the first sip. 40F might be too cold for this beer, but don't worry, it warms up plenty quick, and with a 22oz bottle to work your way through, there's plenty of time and beer to get the full spectrum of flavor across several temperatures.

But basically the flavor is chocolate. Bitter roasty stout tastes are also there. This is not a sweet tasting stout by any means, there's plenty of roasted malt bitterness, backed up by hops (there's just enough to be noticed, although I heard that Rogue uses a lot in this brew), and then CHOCOLATE. Embrace the chocolate, you love it. I drank this with some very very smokey tasting marinated and grilled chicken, and it paired excellently.

Some people might give this a low drinkability score, because it's so thick and full of flavor and filling. I won't. I could drink this stuff morning, noon, and night. I would drink this morning, noon, and night, if school/work/money/life in general wouldn't get in the way.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Splitting this bomber with a fellow beer champion...

Pours an opaque black with a thin khaki head that never quite disappears. First smell reveals creamy chocolate, but swirling the glass a little uncovers roasted grain, coffee, and even some lovely hops. Uber-smooth malts begin the flavor, with the creamy milk chocolate coming in pleasantly early. The sweet smooth chocolate sticks around, adding an extremely nice flavor to this stout. Roasted grain is there, along with a little fresh roasted coffee. Finish has a hint of citrous hops with also provide subtle spice. Long aftertaste keeps this hoppy chocolate wonder in my mouth long after swallowing. A truely exceptional brew from Rogue.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Served on tap at Coho Cafe. Redmond, WA

This is only my third time or so having this style of beer(chocolate stout). I must say I was overwhelmed with the wonderful chocolate taste and smooth drinkability of this beer. I ordered this brew at a restaurant before my food came and damn near wanted to cancel my food and have a two or three more of these, as this is a very filling beer. This one would taste great paired with damn near anything or alone. Rogue has definately done it again with this one. Man, am I glad I found this one on tap! This seems to me to be what other chocolate stouts should be measured by.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured with a nice head that lasted and had a nice aroma. Mildly hopped and had a nice chocolate/coffee hint but not too strong. Went down well and would recommend it highly.
It came in a 22oz bottle but wish it either larger:) or I bought several. A very good stout indeed.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Big ass 650ml bottle from either Huckleberry's in Spokane for $4.99

Poured what appears to be pretty much midnight black, with a moderate, mocha colored head. Mocha colored lace drips dowh the glass.

Smell is very chocolaty, as one might expect. More chocolaty than the Young's Double Chocolate Stout I had the other night at The Viking. It almost seems too sweet.

Fortunately, in the taste the hops come through to keep the beer firmly grounded and not floating off into cloying land. The cohcolate comes in first, and is rather rich tasting. The hops enter the proceedings partly through, and provide a balancing dry note at the swallow. It keeps this beer in the realm of dessert beer without being too sweet. This would be great after a nice meal.

This is a relatively thick stout, somewhat viscous in the mouthfeel. I have no problem with that, but someone used to watery beers would probably be overcome.

This is an outstanding dessert beer. I feel like I should have a nice cigar around, though my bronchitis keeps that from being an option (haven't had a cigar in 4 months - no longer smoke anything else at all, yet I get bronchitis from f-ing allgergies. Doh!). This is way too sweet to have several pints, but as a one bottle per session beer, it's quite nice. This will have to serve as my New Beer Sunday beer, as I'm off to Wenatchee for several days and, coincidentally, don't anticipate anything new (or, frankly, good) for several days.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Brown head lasting long and stylish like black beercolor. Nose is exceptional giving away a magnificent chocolate arome surrounded by great maltarome and beautiful hopbouqet in a very dry a strawlike surrounding. Never expirienced a chocolate aroma fresh and good as that! Taste is also great being dry, burnt, again straw like and litle cacao give it a strange not. But hell yes this is highly enjoyable and great to drink teasing my mouth and nose and whole body to take another sip. What a great beer IMHO!

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

This brew pours a dark, murkey black color with a small head that falls to a very generous ring over top of the brew. I don't know if a stout can look any better. The nose is just like cooled down hot chocolate. Huge milk-chocolate just nails me in the nose. Its almost like sniffing the concentrated powder before adding liquid. This truely is a chocolate stout. The flavor is very chocolate, but with a backbone of deep roasted to burnt malt. I enjoy it. The feel is where this brew falters. Its moderate at best. I would really like to see a nice healthy thickness on the feel. It really deserves it. Overall, not a bad brew. I find it easy drinking. The flavor is pretty darn nice. Head to head with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate, it would falter, but it is definately doing the trick for me right now.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled 22oz. bomb thanks to Downtown Liquors in Somerville, MA.
Pours as black as night...two full fingers of light brown head. Lacing is tight, but thin and slowly recedes back into the brew.
Smell is milk chocolate, vanilla w/ a hint of sweet malts.
The taste is now dark chocolate, well balanced w/ the sweetness of the malt. A subtle touch of hops in the dry finish...mouthfeel is impressive, thick but not heavy.
Drinkability is high for its style...just 6% makes this a session brew if you like the type. I would, personally prefer Brooklyn's Chocolate Stout a bit more, but both are two of the best out there.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Split a bomber with the wife. Poured into a pint glass. Dark brown, opaque, but not black, with a rocky tan head. Lacing graced the sides of the glass. Nose is a licorice and dark chocolate blend with some cocoa, light vanilla hints also. Taste is burnt malt (maybe the hops kicking in there) with chocolate overall. Finish is bitter, just this side of dry. Mouthfeel is creamy in the middle, but wet around the edges. A fine tasting chocolate stout, though I prefer the Brooklyn and the Young's over this. I would never refuse one though. I just love Rogue Ales. Tough to go wrong with them.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales