Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,962 | Reviews: 1,890
4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

I was impressed by the rich espresso color of this stout. It had a perfect mouthfeel. I could pick up on the chocolate flavor without it being overpowering. Is was smooth and creamy with just the perfect level of carbonation and a pleasantly bitter finish. It may sound crazy but it had the after taste of a tootsie roll. I have not had a lot of chocolate stouts, but after this one, I will be seeking them out.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Popped the cap, smells of chocolate milkshake come to mind. Pours jet black with a one finger milk chocolate colored head. Taste is good, not quite as rich as I'd hoped for so looking forward to trying the Double Chocolate Stout. Honestly, this tastes like a Hershey's kiss, I just wish it had more of an alcohol zip the the Southern Tier Creme brûlée. Great beer though my wife likes, would definitely buy again.

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Lots of technical brewing info
printed onto the painted label bottle, but no ABV.

A- Pitch black, semi-sweet chocolate color. No light gets through this one. 1/2" light brown
head, dissipating into a fine layered cap. Carbonation level undetectable due to the dark color.

S- Chocolate and more chocolate nose. Maybe a hint of roasted grain. No, wait, that's more chocolate. A bit of marshmallow cream in there too.

T- Roasted grain bitterness up front, washed away by sweet creamy chocolate, dark chocolate, and other exotic chocolate flavors, along with a touch of mocha/coffee on the back. Familiar Rogue PacMan yeast there too.

M- Creamy smooth to start, with grain and a little hop bitterness, passing into a coffee-like
tang.

O- Not one of my favorite styles, but a great representation of it. Exactly what the label declares, Chocolate Stout. Good balance, creamy mouthfeel, plenty of chocolate. Well done beer by Rogue.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

this chocolate stout is one of the best I've had. Its a lovely be chocolate brown and the head is a beautiful mocha brown it smells vaguely of chocolate in roasted malts the taste is the deep malts roasting notes and of course in some chocolate. The mouth feel is also very very well done and the carbonation is perfect score. overall awesome beer

1.74/5  rDev -58.1%

This is a poor beer. I do not understand the love for it on this site. The beer has little flavor. I don't get a lot of chocolate flavor. The poorest aspect of this is the mouthfeel. So thin. Nothing redeeming about this beer that I can tell. I used to like Rogue Shakespeare Stout and I'd heard that this was better. I hesitate to even try old Billy Shakes if this is better.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Did a tasting from two bombers, the older 12-ingredient version and the new 9-ingredient one with real chocolate and less hop. Basically, that was the difference, and I thought the previous 12 ingredient version was better, more unique. The new version definitely has a smoother, more delicious chocolate flavor, but without that hop background, it tastes just like any other quality chocolate stout. The original 12-ingredient had something special in that combination.

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Jet Black with a nice one and a half finger high dark khaki/cappuccino colored head.
Smell: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
Taste: Chocolate, bitter coffee, and more chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not at thick as it's dark color would suggest. Medium carbonation.
Overall: A good beer, one that I will be buying again in the near future.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.
Appearance - very black, some evident carbonation sneaking up the side of the glass. Thick, creamy mocha head. Lacing is decent.
Smell - chocolate brownie, vanilla, some caramel!
Taste - Coffee, bitter chocolate, creamy espresso latte.
Feel - dry, medium body with a mild bitter chocolate finish.
Overall - solid offering; worth the try. A bit pricey and starts out strong but slowly declines.

Pours black with one inch of tan head that settles to a thin film on top and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell is primarily dark cocoa and faint vanilla.

Taste is dark chocolate, black coffee, creamy vanilla with slight hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is fairly heavy with medium carbonation.

A delicious stout that approaches the threshold of being too sweet. A nice dessert stout.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Going a bit outside of my comfort zone with this one; not exactly my style.

Color is deep rich brown/black with a nice 4 finger head of dark khaki, off brown. No light getting through.

Nose is definitely dark chocolate and coder up front with a slight underlying dark fruitiness. Definitely some molasses and earth notes. Really nice smelling stuff.

Big hit of dark bitter cacao up front supported by bitter earthy hops then accentuated by a nice creamy and milky mouthfeel. There's still a nice hint if fruity esters and a nutty quality. Chocolate dominates as it finished quite dry.

Overall a really nice beer. It's not as heavy as I thought and the drinkability was really nice.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A. It is pure black with a dark brown head with some lacing to it.
S. a cherry and chocolate scent to it.
T/M. Very very chocolatey and extremely smooth. Full bodied with some burnt malt. Thick.
O. This is by far the most rich chocolate beer I've ever had. It is delicious.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz. Bomber
$4.99
Health Mart

Finally getting around to trying this. It's been on my list to pick up many times but I always seem to pass it by, since it's always available, in favor of seasonals or special releases. Poured black with a big 3 finger brown, creamy, ruddy head. I can't see a thing through this beer. Leaves spotty lacing throughout the entire drink.

This stuff smells amazing. Big notes of chocolate and cream. Mildly roasted barley and a small hint of coffee beans. Smells like dessert in a bottle. Fantastic!

Flavor has all the qualities of the aroma with a little extra. Starts off with the creamy milk chocolate. Roasted malts and coffee grounds come through mid-palate as the chocolate starts to fall back. On the swallow there's a mild hop spiciness and coffee ground bitterness.

Medium bodied and somewhat creamy. Lively in the back of the throat. My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is the mouthfeel could stand to be a little more creamy. Still very nice though.

This chocolate stout is an easy one to put back. Wonderful flavor and aromas make it a pleasure to drink.

I'm surprised at how good this stout really is. I wasn't sure if it could live to the hype or not. I wish I would have picked this up sooner. Another great beer from Rogue.

Reviewed: 2/25/07

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Split a 22oz bottle with a friend. This pours a dark brown color with a fluffy brown head. The aroma is mixture of cocoa and malts. I was expecting a heavy, dense, volume with this but instead its rather light and creamy. The most obvious taste being the unsweetened chocolate and malts. I was expecting a little something more and different from this one.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

I enjoyed this very much for a stout. Liked it so much its now on my list of favorites and I bought a second bottle for the immediate future.

Color: dark black, light tan head was 1.5 to 2 fingers that didn't last more than a few minutes, (hey I'm thirsty).

Smell: deep chocolate x2,with very mild and pleasant fruit tone,raisin? Again more chocolate..

Taste: chocolate syrupy feel as wash over my tongue with a light carbonation and succulent bitterness, (enough too make my mouth water for a second sip,) at mid tongue and the finish is warm and mellow. ABV at 6% but this larger bottle was very fulfilling to me. I would definitely not share this bottle with anyone unless she looked like Penelope Cruz.

Definitely on my nice list!

3.19/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed live. Reviewed as an American Stout because it self-identifies as a chocolate stout and it's American. Okay label art. "Made with imported chocolate." 69 IBU. 15 degrees plato. 650ml brown glass bottle with standard branded pry-off cap acquired at a local Vons grocery in Santa Monica for $3.99 and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average since it's on the beers of fame.

Served chilled, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of khaki-tan colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Little lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is well above average - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable solid opaque black; dark but not a jet black per se. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Standard fare for the style. Not unique or special. No obvious flaws.

Sm: Cocoa powder/dust, chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, buried light roast. Not getting any coffee, vanilla, or molasses. Hop character is present yet generic; hopping is primarily preservative here. Sweet. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An above average to mild strength aroma.

T: Dark malts and chocolate malts dominate, but there is a slight hint of roast just before the climax that dies almost immediately. Definitely on the sweeter end of the sweet/bitter spectrum. Stale cocoa dust. Oats. Fairly balanced, but there's room for improvement. Would definitely benefit from more complexity and subtlety. I do like it in a general sense. By no means mind-blowing. The chocolate itself isn't particularly rich or evocative; sort of a generic crumbly milk chocolate with heavy cocoa powder notes.

No coffee or vanilla. Lacks flavour diversity, depth, and intensity. Flavour duration is good.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and slightly soft. Good thickness. Nice creaminess for what it is. Good carbonation. Not biting, harsh, gushed, or oily. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Not syrupy. Decent body.

The soft texture is a highlight.

Dr: Very drinkable; I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle. Fairly priced at $4.00 USD per bottle; I'd definitely get it on-draught at this price. For a beer of fame though, it's not horribly impressive. A pretty decent offering from Rogue, but it's far from mind blowing. I wouldn't want more than one in any given night. Tasty but forgettable. Rogue makes better beers. Hides its ABV well.

High C+

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beer is jet black with a small cocoa-coloured head. Head fades fairly quickly but not entirely.

Nose contains chocolate- surprise, surprise. Roast malt. Nothing else, but a nice smell.

Like the smell, the taste contains chocolate and roast malt. A bit of a hoppy flavour, slight citrus. Almost tastes like bitter orange. Fairly bitter finish. Taste a bit thin.

Medium bodied, thinner than expected. Strongly carbonated, a bit too much.

Overall, not bad, but not as good as I had hoped.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a bottle.
Pours almost black with a brown head that didn't stick around for long.
Smells a little like chocolate but also some malt/coffee aromas too. Not a really big smell.
Taste has strong hints of chocolate but not nearly the chocolate blast of the Rogue Double Chocolate Stout. More bitter at the finish then I expected, given the start.
Mouthfeel is really not very thick for a stout, but maybe I should have expected as much given 6% ABV.

Overall a pleasant chocolate stout. If you really want a thicker, chewier chocolate blast, the Rogue Double Chocolate Stout is better, but this is more balanced. It was better overall then the sum of its parts.

And one food pairing suggestion: raw chocolate chip cookie dough with this beer is a revelation.

3.11/5  rDev -25.1%

poured into a clean pint glass

A: very dark with thick head which was dark in color.

S: I didn't smell much slight dark roasted malt no real decernable chocolate smell.

T: I only tasted a slight roasted coffee taste typical of a stout no real chocolate taste at all. Slightly hoppy.

M: heavy and creamy

O: I know this has gotten some really good ratings but I don't see why. There was very little taste to this beer and the chocolate didn't add anything to it as far as I was concerned.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. Rogue does not print freshness info on the bottle.

Not the rich, sweet, smooth beer taste I was expecting based on the aroma. Did I get an old bottle? There was little to no sweetness. This beer needs better balance. A disappointment for me. You should try this beer if you are a stout fan, which I am, but not again for me.

A – Pours a clear reddish brown with a one-finger rocky tan head.

S - Milk chocolate, followed by coffee with some sweetness.

T – Coffee, some roasted bitterness, a bit of alcohol, a bit thin (-)

MF – Thin, dry, a little astringent (-), minerally.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Well I been looking forward to this beer for quite some time now. I drank it during a hotter afternoon and in hide-sight was probably a mistake. A cooler evening or sometime during the fall would have been a better time. Anyway, I was not disappointed in the results.

A-A pour showed me a thick dark syrupy liquid hit my glass with no remorse. The initial head that formed was almost comically large. I had to wait until it settled down a bit before the normal head formed before I could finish pouring it. Three fingered head with a craggy top. Jet black color. Not even lighter on the sides. Just BLACK and just the way it should be.

S-Coffee, chocolate, and aroma hops hit the nose. I felt like it was a combination of a chocolate frappe and a hoppier beer.

T-Dang, that is good. A surprise hop bitterness pounces at you and leaves you with a roasted chocolate flavor to mull over in your taste buds for a minute or two. Even as I'm writing this I feel as I can still taste the lingering flavors. Initial bitterness was under control despite an IBU of 69!

M-Thick. I probably should have used a spoon to drink it. It really let you know you were drinking a stout, and not just any stout but a Rogue's Chocolate Stout.

O-I really enjoyed this one. Quite thick, quite sweet, and quite dominant. I stout that runs up to you, gets in your face, and demands that you like it; despite the fact that the hardcore beer drinkers think its a sissy beer because contains chocolate. A bold and brash boss who lets you know who is in the building.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good looking, pretty blackish, except you can see a little light getting through on the pour, leaving a nice brown lasting head with some pretty good lacing.

Aroma is quite chocolatey. I get a lot of chocolate and not a whole lot else, except for maybe a touch of roasty notes and a tinge of coffee.

Flavors come out as more complex than the nose, with a good blend of bitter, chocolate (dark and milk), sweetness, coffee, burnt, roasty and toasty notes. It's quite tasty, with a good bit of complexity. The bitterness is pretty high, but it blends with the sweetness and cocoa/chocolate flavors well.

Body is pretty thick and chewy, with a bit of an bitter, dark semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste.

I really like these thick and rich stouts that aren't jam packed full of alcohol. This is a good one, I would certainly have it again. I can't remember if I like it better than their regular oatmeal stout or not, as it's been a while. I recall liking it tho, and I would guess this one is somewhat similar in overall nature.

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer had a nice scent to it... Not sure if cocoa nibs was used or just the chocolate malt but either way i couldnt get the scent right. Taste had a overpowering smoked flavor that had a alcohol finish. I wanted more chocolate but overall not a bad stout... Just not their best. I would stick with their oatmeal stout.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark, black, with a tall, fluffy, tan head. Looks pretty good.

Smell: Chocolate, a little bit bitter, smells a little like coffee.

Taste: The chocolate seems to come towards the end of the taste. There's a bit of bitterness, then a touch of sweet, followed by the roasty, chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a heavier beer, and a little coarse. A good bit of carbonation, and it's nice.

Overall: This is pretty good. I'm not sure I like it as much as Samuel Smith's chocolate stout, but that may also be because I'm new to this style.

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in black color with a light fluffy tan head.

The aroma is fantastic. Just big milk chocolate bomb with the smell with some malt.

The taste is pretty good. I wish it was silkier like other bigger ABV stouts. It surely has more chocolate flavor than Young’s Double Chocolate. It then finishes with a bit of a hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is a bit light.

It’s not exactly my style as I prefer a creamier, milkier chocolate stout like some Russian Imperials or American Double stouts. It’s more of a well rounded beer with a hint of chocolate. Go into this expecting a beer with some chocolate, not a chocolate stout.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass

A. dark black. pours a finger of coffee-tinted head. creamy lacing.

S. milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. undertones of vanilla.

T. bitter chocolate. roasted malts. notable hop presence.

M. Medium body. The roasted malts fill it out. well carbonated. smooth finish.

O. powerful stout. the chocolate is overwhelming in a good way. pretty low abv for a stout with this much flavor, but that's okay. sweet and roasty. would have again.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales