Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,885 | Hads: 4,040
3.73/5  rDev -11%

A true classic. How have I not rated this already?
22oz bottle served in a stout glass. Beer pours as black as expected and forms a medium brown head. Mild cocoa aroma atop bittersweet chocolate flavor, with just a kiss of hops familiar to an American stout. The chocolate brings up both the levels of bitter and sweet. The result is really tasty and drinkable. Not as sweet as Young's double chocolate, and pairs way better with dessert.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, there’s a Chocolate Stout from Rogue I haven’t tried yet... I’m sure it was merely an oversight on my behalf, I love Chocolate Stouts, in fact the name of my beer review blog was almost going to be ILCS (I Love Chocolate Stouts) however I Hate Macros seemed a bit of a better fit - it encompassed brews that weren’t specifically Chocolate Stouts and also increased my hits with web users that hate MS Office [you’ll have to think about that one for a moment dear reader]. In any case Rogue, what can I say about them that hasn’t already been said by others? They’re a brewer with more craft pedigree than you can poke a stick at, and one of the few brewers that experiment with weird/wonderful ingredients*, they got moxy.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: “Welcome to the dark side of the beer” I think to myself with Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars’s voice in my head. A delicious inky black body with a 1cm mocha head... and the prize goes to: Rogue! 9/10.

S: Milk chocolate upfront, as it damn well should be, with a solid biscuit malt base, oats, a touch of earthiness, along with some choc-chip cookie for good measure - “I’m going to enjoy this!” (Freddy Quimby from The Simpsons). 9/10.

T: Yep, a solid Chocolate Stout FTW! This is one tasty chocolate brew, though I would recommend letting it warm a little as I drank this fairly chilled and it was muted as a result, but damn: the flavours are there and they’re great; milk chocolate, biscuit malts, oats, cookie, vanilla and a slight roasted/light bitter character towards the end - this is one Stout that spoils you like a kid at Easter. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a slightly gassy carbonation. I had a burp, and I shouldn’t with a Stout. This is the only smudge against an otherwise awesome brew. 8/10.

D: Certainly a brew I will be getting again... and again... and again... and possibly again... but after that no more for a while... then just as I think I won’t get it again - I get it again. Rogue Chocolate Stout is up there with Amager Bryghus & Cigar City’s Xiquic as one of my favourite chocolate beers, and praise well-earned that is and indeed high, mmm [I’m doing a Yoda voice now]. 9/10.

Food match: Chocolate pie, if indeed such a thing exists, with Chantilly cream (if indeed such a thing exists).

*Check out my tasty review of their Voodoo Doughnut Pretzel, Raspberry & Chocolate Ale on BeerAdvocate and hopefully one day: this blog.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours black with a large tan head.
Nose shows milk chocolate, dry roast, cocoa.
Similar flavours, loads more dry roast, a fair bit of bitterness but some sweet milk chocolate too.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pours a nice black colour with inch and a half frothy tanned head that reatins and laces well on my Duvel tulip

S - As expected sweet chocolate malt aromas, some burnt or smoked coffee

T - Sweet chocolate malts very prominent, expresso or roasted coffee, dark chocolate present giving a hint of bitterness at the finish

M - Medium to full body with light carbonation

O - A fantastic chocolate stout that is easy to drink and I would recommend

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rogue’s “Chocolate Stout” fondly brings back memories of the Winter Stout Tasting event that Nicholas Publicover and I attended a month ago, where he was entranced and firmly suggested that this was the beer of the night. According to him, despite other offerings that night having a higher ABV or different additives, the simplicity and drinkability of this beer put it over the top. An award winning beer and one of the flagship brews from Rogue, I was exceptionally excited to get my hand on another full 22oz bottle of this and put my feet up in front of a fire. Was it as good as I remembered?

Appearance – 94: The stout poured with a thicker head than I remembered (likely in part to all of those high ABV selections we drank last time that I referred to previously!), roughly a half inch thick with caramel/mocha colored bubbles that clung to the edge of the bottle. The color is pitch black and allows no light to penetrate it at all. Slight lacing was evident as well.

Aroma – 94: As one might imagine, the smell of the beer mimics the ingredients used – malts and chocolate. An earthen tone also hints at the roasted barley and rolled oats element, which became more prevalent once the beer hit my tongue.

Body & Texture – 93: As the beer is made with high quality imported chocolate, the first taste (as I’m sure you’d imagine) is of dark chocolate with a hint of milky-vanilla. After a moment a roasted coffee sensation kicks in, before departing to the earthen elements that I suggested earlier. A surprisingly complex amount of flavors given the limited ingredients. Slight carbonation also plays on the palate, which is fun!

Taste – 95: If the Nestle Quick bunny decided to make an alcoholic beverage, this would be it. Everything promised in the description delivers, and then some. Chocolate taste? Prevalent, strong, but not overpowering. Stout element? Certainly. Malted and roasted notes, with tremendous flavor in a great combination. Couldn’t have been more impressed with this selection.

Overall – 94.3 (Excellent): Tasting this beer again after a brief hiatus reminded me of what I was missing, similar to a short breakup with a girlfriend. Holy smokes, what a fantastic beer! If you remotely enjoy chocolate OR stouts (and especially both), you owe it to yourself to sample this beverage. Extremely easy to drink, delicious, and delivering on every level, there is no doubt that several bottles of this will find it to my basement to age. Incredible!

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A great gift brought by guests to a dinner party. Ads stouts are her favorite beer style, my wife got to contribute to this review....a rarity. Pours a deep black licorice with a pretty coffee brown bubbly head that dissipates, but returns with a gentle swirl of the glass. The scent is of toasted malt and leaves a reminder of chocolate milk. The taste is of bitter dark chocolate, a hint of coffee, and a faint caramel aftertaste. Some creaminess, but also a nice carbonation. Slightly sweet, especially late. We've had chocolatier stouts, but this was nicely balanced and really quite well done. I hope to get this again, but I'll likely have to share it.

Dark brown, almoust black beer with a two finger high mocca-colored head.

Nose: Chocolate, roasted malt, dark bread, oat and coffee.
Taste: Brown sugar, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and caramel.
Body: Full body, compex texture. Medium carbonation. Smooth taste. Bitter ending.

Great stout!

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With such a chocolate smell upon first sip of this you'd think you were eating a piece of 70% cacao. Pitch black in color. Overly sweet smell but dry taste. This might be the base malts for the voodoo donut brew they make.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This was one of the better bombers I've had in a while. tasted very very fresh. I enjoyed it a lot. Stuff pours a little lighter then an IMP with a larger toffee colored head that keeps its shape. Taste has lots of coffee, didn't get any tobacco notes. feel is awesome, not slippery but more coarse. overall the bottle i has was fresh and i really really enjoyed it!

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a thick oily black. Looks like burnt, 60 weight motor oil in my glass, I love it. Pours an easy and incredible 2 finger head with no vigorous pouring, leaves whispy lacing on the glass. Head is a dark tan color, looks like I'm pouring a cherry Coke.
S - Smells EXACTLY like a caramel macchiato, very strong caramel, coffee and dark chocolate notes in the smell with a slight bock aromas backing it all up.
T - Imagine when you were a kid drinking Nesquick chocolate milk. Imagine if they made a more adult, dark chocolate powder, this beer has that taste. This may come off unspeaking but it is a very good think, extremely delicious with hints of coffee and caramel. Extremely long finish, flavors stay resident in the mouth for quite some time. O - Absolutely a 5 star stout in my book. You next to a fireplace on a winter day with this stout in hand.
V - Good Value.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

I like a nice chocolate stout for sure, and this is a decent one. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, there really isn't a great deal of body to go with the big aroma, but at 6% abv I guess I shouldn't have expected much more. There is a nice roast quality as well as a toasted nut thing, but not a lot of bitterness. This is a stout that you might introduce to someone who hasn't really experimented much in dark ales, they will be bowled over by the initial pour, head, and big semi-sweet chocolate aroma.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a Sam Smith pint glass.

Pour is black with maybe some brown mixed in when held to the light and has a frothy cinnamon colored head of about 1 finger that gives way to some nice lacing. Aromas of strong dark chocolate, roasted malts, marshmallow, fudge. Taste starts off with smooth creamy chocolate and ends dry and bitter with more lingering dark chocolate and roasted malts. Its almost like drinking a melted dark chocolate candy bar. The bitterness of the chocolate really sticks on your tongue! Mouthfeel is surprising light in body but perfect for this style.

If you like eating dark chocolate you will love this beer. A great example of style and a cult classic among beer nerds.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a beer mug

A: Pours an opaque brownish black with a huge head of light brown foam. Head eventually settles to 1 finger in size and provides a perfect cap for the remainder of the beer. A good amount of lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Smell is of chocolate malts, with a bit of a toasty/nuttiness. Also clean, citrusy hops that stack up fairly well to the chocolate malts.

T: The taste is mainly chocolate maltiness with a good amount of citrusy hop flavors. Very good balance between the malts and hops.

M: Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth for the high amount of carbonation.

O: This is a very well balanced stout with good chocolate flavors and a clean, crisp finish from the hops. A good amount of malt and hop flavors that work together but don't overpower the other. I could see this being a staple in my fridge, and I will have to get more soon.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

This was the last of the beers I picked up at the liquor store the other day on my super special beer run. I drink Coors on a day to day basis, but drink the good stuff like this when the mood strikes me. Needless to say, I was sad this was the last one I had. Side poured with mild aggression from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful deep brown color with a magnificent, two finger caramel color head that lasts a few minutes and actually leaves a little lacing. Standard Rogue packaging, which is always good. Beautiful looking presentation.

Smell - Roasted malts, chocolate, cocoa, deliciousness, vanilla, and sweetness. The smell is right up front, no deception here.

Taste - Almost like an alcoholic chocolate milk. The delicious roasted malts and chocolate balance each other out nicely, keeping the sweetness from getting too out of control. Other flavors such as vanilla play bit roles on the palate, but the malts and chocolate are primary. And they are delicious

Mouthfeel - Smooth, rich, and thick. The same qualities I like in a woman I like in a beer, and this has it.

Overall - Drink this beer immediately, preferably with your buddies or by yourself in front of a fire on a cold night. It is excellent.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - Pitch black with a nice foamy head which laces the glass very well

Smell - I just smell the sweet chocolate.

Moutfeel - Very smooth, light carbonation.

Taste - The chocolate taste is first but it is not as overwhelmingly sweet as i thought it would be. It actually had a nice balance to it with a little bitterness.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Great go to chocolate stout. the new rebel hop really gives it a bitter finish that isn't quite as subtle as the discontinued 9 ingredient cascade hop version. I think the ibu on this new version is underrated but this stout is great being as it's not an imperial/double stout it has a slightly thin mouthful and a modest 6%abv but it makes up with chocolaty goodness from beginning to end.. I recommend this beer and I believe it shines as it warms as do most stouts I recommend a slight chill our pull it out of the fridge and let it sit and warm a bit I enjoy it from a balloon so it warms in my hand.. the slight complexity that is there can be easily missed if it's to cold and it will really mask the bitter chocolate taste...

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From a bomber into a pint.

A: Pours black, with a creamy tan head. Very nice head retention. Decent lacing. No visible activity.
S: Chocolate and roasty malt. Quite sweet (chocolate) in the nose, some oats and vanilla.
T: Roasty, and very chocolatey. Enough bitterness to finish and balance out the sweetness, but definitely not overpowering.
M: Medium bodied. Drinks smooth. Coats the mouth very nicely. A moderately dry finish. Expected it to be fuller bodied. Carbonation is also a little more present as an after taste tingle as opposed to the initial.

Overall: Very nice, but not necessarily what i expected. The chocolate aspect i thought was phenomenal, but lighter bodied and too one sided for my liking. Very good though.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours pitch black, no light getting through whatsoever . BIG chocolate and roasted smell. Taste is drier than the smell led me to believe, but that is nice since this is so rich. Mouthfeel is heavy as $^!@, super thick like a shake. Thick, dense, creaming head that sticks around forever and coats the entire glass as you drink. This is a great chocolate stout, around the same enjoyment as Samuel Smith's for me.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

02/21/15 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Great, great stout. Listed as a sweet stout, but I don't find that. The chocolate is prevelant, but since it's bittersweet, the kids won'tbe licking the chalis. If you appreciate the newer take on stout (bless Guiness & their legacy) you should find this a treat.

The color is black as pitch. The aroma is all chocolate, but more nibs than Hershey's. Taste is great balance of sweet & adult stuff...not masking a bitter or burn...just well rounded. Respectable mouthfeel that adds to the overall enjoyment. The only peeps that will be frowny faced are those that need a head/lacing to validate.

Pull up a stool, ask for a pint, grab the glass & just let this take it where it will. Just keep an open mind & there will be no regrets. Promise.

05/09/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Had as black & tan w/Rogue Hazelnut Brown. Need to try au natural.

Very solid chocolate stout. Not too sweet from the cocoa, not too bitter like some stouts. Middle of the road alcohol content makes this a very easy to enjoy beer. Thumbs up to this one for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a dark black, with a 1 finger tan head that leaves lacing. Not overcarbonated looking like some beers where the head is just huge.

Smell is a sweet chocolate and molasses note. Very sweet cocoa-ish, some roastiness. Kind of one dimensional smell, however it is very nice.

Taste is very clean and robust. Lots of chocolate in this one, however not sweet like youngs double chocolate stout. Excellent.

Feel is real good, nice carb, right in the middle of the road.

Overall I like this beer, for when I have an extra 2 bucks to toss at a bomber. 6.50 is kinda steep, but is it oh so good.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Cream of the crop when it comes to affordable Chocolate Stouts. You can find this about anywhere, I bought mine from safety, but don't be discouraged just because it's common. This stuff is legit, and I replace a bottle everytime. One of my favorite stouts. Smooth taste but has that "stout bitterness" it should. Dark in color, great in flavor, good on cool nights.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz Bottle.What a nice surprise.This was recommended to me by the High Desert Walrus.Goo gookey chew.Great Chocolate Stout.Tasted just like a liquid candy bar.Put on a little John Fogerty and I was ready to rock this one.At 6.0ABV it was a little less than I am used too from a stout but the wonderful flavor and that great smell of Chocolate just really did it for me.I will be drinking this again.Thanks Walrus.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pitch black pour with a creamy two finger beige head with good retention and great lacing. The nose is huge and really lives up to the name. Tons of cocoa and dark chocolate along with hints of milk chocolate, oats, and vanilla. The taste follows suit with the chocolate again dominating, but with a distinct bitterness. Hints of cocoa, caramel, leather, vanilla, oats, and roasty coffee. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with medium carbonation and a dry, bittersweet finish. Overall, this surprised me as I was expecting a sweet and syrupy artificial mess, but instead got a much more natural tasting chocolate stout.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

650 mL bottle into snifter

A: Finger a half head of mocha color sits on an onyx brew, head has some good retention and medium collaring. Completely opaque, appears to have medium to light carbonation. Body looks on the lighter side.

S: Very interesting unexpected nose, rich dark chocolate, coco nibs, refined sugar, truffle, chocolate syrup, and molasses. Pronounced oat aroma, very creamy (yes that’s a smell). Sweet and succulent

T: Liquid dark chocolate, rich, sweet while also bringing bitterness from baker’s chocolate - Malt character is solid, sweet and lightly roasted. Caramel notes come and go throughout, good balance and subdued hop profile. Spots of sweetness from some un-metabolized sugars. Oat and truffle elements mesh resulting in a grainy dryness. Cappuccino overtones without being too coffee forward. Chocolate blast that’s very sweet, almost overwhelming.

M: Body fits the appearance, but I think it’s too light. Carbonation is light and fine, after taste sticks around, sweet and lightly chocolaty, quite similar to a mocha cappuccino.

O: Pretty beer, love the bronze/copper head, solid retention and collaring dress the glass nicely. Very sweet, probably works best for a desert or after dinner sipper. I wish the viscosity were ramped up a bit. Very rich chocolate presence, boarder line overwhelming. Reminiscent of Southern Tier’s works. Tasty sipper.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales