Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Mostly opaque jet black with deep brown accents. Hot cocoa-colored thick head. Didn't last long ... reemerges when swirled in the pint with sporadic lacing.

S - Initially, not as strong or as robust as I would have expected. Then I realized I hadn't let this bottle adjust to the proper serving temp before pouring. As it warmed, the aromas were much more apparent. Quite simply, this beer smells of dark chocolate ... almost as if I were holding a pint full of baker's chocolate shavings. Possibly a hint of hop notes in there somewhere, swimming in a sea of rich cocoa.

T - Honestly, one sip of this offering from Rogue and I am instantly in love with this brew. It is, by far, the very best chocolate stout I have ever been honored to sample. Absolutely sinfully good. I am drinking it as I write and am quite literally overwhelmed with dark chocolate heaven ... again, as if I am drinking melted baker's chocolate in a glass. NOT overly sweet, and I do taste the presence of some hops in there too. The Rogue guys have outdone themselves with this one. Almost pure chocolate flavor here ... to the point you almost need to remind yourself this is a beer.

M - As expected over all, but possibly the ONLY downside to this beer is that it feels just a little thinner than I'd like. But, just a little. I actually appreciate that this stout doesn't bruise your palate with overly thick, heavy body that leaves you desiring something that more closely resembles liquid. Perhaps this isn't such a downside after all ...

D - Not only the very best tasting chocolate stout I've ever had, but also clearly the most drinkable (see above). You could drink these all night if given the chance ... and oh how I'd like the chance. The more I drink it, the more I'm grateful that this beer isn't too heavy which would limit how much I could tolerate at a sitting.

Drink this one alone at least once, in order to fully appreciate what the Rogue folks have done here. Then, by all means, try it with some high quality cheeses, or possibly a rich chocolate dessert of some sort. This beer is a MUST DRINK for chocolate lovers and/or stout lovers. You'll likely be both when you've drained your pint.

Exceptional beer.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance - This beer arrived dark brown with a brown, two finger head exhibiting moderate retention and heavy lacing.

Smell – Whoa Chocolate. I mean, they must add a lot of actual chocolate to this beer. Not sure how I feel about it – it’s nearly overpowering. Chocolate rushes to the nose with every sip. It’s not really an expensive chocolate taste either; tastes like lots of chocolate syrup has been mixed in.

Taste - This beer tastes of caramel, with a finish that’s malty and – you guessed it – chocolaty.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is chewy, creamy, medium-full-bodied, rich and smooth.

Drinkability – The overbearing cocoa notes detract from my ability to really get into this beer, but one can tell some work went into making it. Solid. Not my cup of tea.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark black with some minimal brown highlights. The head is fluffy and pudding like, but doesn’t stick around long. Espresso and super dark chocolate smell with a hidden hop sweetness. Tastes of Hershey’s and coffee with a sourness that lingers around the edge of the tongue. Finishes sour and then fades into a sweet cocoa. Mouth feel is a little light. There's tons of chocolate to go around here if that's your thing.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

I shared a bottle of this with my pop and a great cigar.

It poured black with a very nice espresso colored head (like an espresso head, not the actual espresso. . . ) The head diminished to leave some sticky lacing and remained a ring until it was finished.

Smelled of sweet malt and chocolate with a hint of coffee.

Taste was of a very fine dark chocolate bar (lik a Lindt 75% mocha bar) and dark malts. the finish was dry(er) than expected from such a sweet beer. I could have drank them all day. I think I may be a sucker for the stouts now. My dad also enjoyed his.

One question though. . . What was the brown goo left in the bottom of my glass?

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours out of the bottle jet black with a nice bubbly dark tan head. The head settles and leaves a nice coating over the top of the beer.
The aroma is predominately of roasted malt with hop background that is almost overshadowed by the big malt aromas. There is a sweetness to the aroma that mixes into the roasted character in this brew.
I expected a bigger roasted/coffee type flavor but the roasted flavors are blended nicely with a sweet chocolate character. The more I drink this the sweeter it tastes. There is a nice hoppiness that you can pick up as the brew goes down. I drank this beer with some unsweetened chocolate and that may have effected my perception of some of the flavors. I'm a big fan of chocolate stouts and this is better than I expected. The mouthfeel is slightly less heavy than most stouts and almost sticky.
This is worth picking up. I will be grabbing a few more of these in the very near future.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

(Served in an imperial pint glass)

A- This beer pours a thick dense black body that is to dark to see carbonation but the thick creamy head is light cocoa colored.

S- The nice smell of roasted malt and black toasted malt with some earthiness and finish of green hops in the background.

T- This beer has a nice earthy robust dark malt flavor with some hints of dark slightly sweet chocolate, although the beer itself is not sweet. The finish is a nice green hop bitterness that balances well with the dark grains. As this beer warms the chocolate taste becomes more of a fresh tobacco taste with some nice sourness from the oats.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-full with some chewiness in the texture. No fizz or alcohol warmth.

D- This beer is a nice smooth stout. It has good qualities and it has a nice faint chocolate flavor that is made with great grains and not chocolate powder or extracts. It is nice to see a chocolate stout that is well balanced with hops and dark malts but stays true to beer ingredients.

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Served in an imperial pint glass from a 22 oz bomber with a picture of a lady on the front that eerily resembles my mother...

Pours an opaque black color with a perfectly fluffy and fronthy cappucino head that stays around the whole time and leaves lacing all up and down the glass. Perfect appearance in my opinion.

Smells of Hershey kisses or a big Hershey bar. Wonderful. Not much in the way of hops. Notes of caramel and even vanilla as well. Smells like a chocolate cake in a glass. Wonderful.

Exceptional taste. The chocolate flavor is the predominant flavor in this stout. Wonderful, creamy chocolate taste. Tastes like a mix of a dark chocolate and milk chocolate thrown into a barrel of quality stout. There is actually a bit of hoppines in there as well. A tiny hop bite hits the back of the tongue as the tasty beverage flows down the gullet. I really cant think of a better dessert beer. I am enjoying this heavenly brew with a Reese's cup and boy is it tasty!!

Slight points detracted for the lingering bitterness in the end. Nothing bad, but the mouthfeel is just slighlty too bitter. However, I cant remember a better beer I have ever had. Bravo!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Very dark brown with very nice tan head Smells of sweet malts and chocolate. Alcohol scents are present. Wonderful chocolate and smokey flavors. Very rich with not much alcohol as the scent suggests. Medium to full bodied with light effervesance. Very nice

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Rogue chocolate stout, the quintessential dessert beer. This is a 2 year old sample, which has a little surprisingly aged reallly well.

Perfect appearance. Almost black, great tan foam that sticks around forever and coats the glass. The smell is domineering chocolate. The taste...wow it's almost too chocolatey to be a beer. You could confuse it for some sort of chocolate liqueur until the roasted malt kicks in gently to balance the chocolate taste. There is also some molasses sweetness hiding underneath it all, which in my opinion really completes this brew. That's all I get here, but the interplay is done to perfection. The finish is mildly bitter and dry from the chocolate and the acidity of the malt. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and thick for a beer of this ABV - definitely is only hurt by the decadence of it all. This is amazing.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

22 ounce bomber poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - Opaque motor oil black with a nice thick foamy head the color of coffee with just a little milk. A great look. The head lasts a while and cakes up a bit in the middle.

S - Hot chocolate. Smells amazingly like hot cocoa. A very faint roasted hint to the chocolate smell but mainly just some chocolate sweetness. Excellent.

T - A nice roasted malt kick on the first sip. In the middle the sweetness comes in and then the chocolate flavor hits you and stays for the rest of the drink and all the way into the aftertaste. A great tasting chocolate flavor that does not quit. Even seems to have a tiny hint of hoppy flavor, with a tiny bit of balancing bitterness that prevent it from being too sweet but rather just right. Nevertheless, the chocolate flavor is dominant, and delicious.

M - Feels nice and light on the tongue, and a little fizzier than other stouts. Still a nice smooth stout overall.

D - Very good. Definitely one you want to continue to sip over and over. A great stout.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark black/brown with a light tan foamy, rocky head...good retention. Aroma is of bittersweet chocolate, dark and sweet - dry with some roasted malts. Deliciously sweet and chocolately. Flavor is rich and smooth - bittersweet/dark chocolate with low bitterness. Appropriate carbonation and smooth thanks to the oats. Lightly dry.

Just a damn tasty stout. This beer is exactly what it advertises. If you want a chocolate stout, look no further.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow chocolate. Black with cocoa brown head. Smells intense chocolate, sweet caramel, roasted dark chocolate. Taste explodes with strong chocolate, bitter and sweet, with an all over roasty taste. Full and thick, and carbonation seems to come out of the chocolate taste. Tantalizingly drinkable.

You could probably make chocolate out of this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This stout is the top of the food chain as far as the evolution of American beer ingenuity goes. It's like putting Laura Secord in a bottle. Dark brown appearance with ample lacing and serious retention. The smell/taste/mouthful aspect of this stout was like a 6-4-3 double play in baseball; it just flowed to a natural progression culminating with a chocolate experience unlike any I've ever had before. Exceptional drinkability may be a gross understatement as this maybe one of the five finest beers I've ever had the pleasure to sip (and sip and sip and sip). Kudos to the Rogue Brewery. PS/ Please send more product to Ontario Canada

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Pint glass

Appearance: Very opaque black with a dark tan head that dissipates rather quickly, but hangs on as a thin film throughout drink. Pretty good lacing.

Aroma: Roasted malts hit me first. Then, the chocolate. This is the first sweet smelling chocolate beer I've ever had, similar smell to a good hot chocolate, along with other aromas. Faint coffee smell. Slight bit of citrusy hop notes.

Taste: Not nearly as sweet tasting as the smell, but the chocolate is defintely there. More bittersweet in the taste, though. And just as well, I wasn't expecting a milkshake. Sweetness now comes in the form of raisens & figs. Hoppy bitterness with a little bit of citrus fruit is pretty big in the taste from what I was expecting after smelling it.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied & creamy. Not chewy or anything, but it coats the mouth very well and leaves sticky residue allover my lips. YUM! Ever just stick a half a teaspoon or so of cocoa powder in your mouth and chow down? That's the feeling this brew leaves you with. Well, not quite as *dry* as that, but if you've tasted pure cocoa, you know.

Drinkability: This is a fabulous brew, replacing Youngs Double Chocolate as my favorite chocolate beer. The sweet aroma & contrasting bitterness is balanced so well. And the finish just makes me want to have more. Hmm.. I think I will.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

The Aztecs believed that chocolate, in liquid form, was "the nectar of the gods". You know, they just may have been on to something with that..

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass. Pitch black color, big 3 finger dark brown head lingers for a while and leaves considerable lacing all the way down.

Before I could even pour it, my entire kitchen smells like mexican mocha. HUGE chocolate aroma. Impressive!

Taste is as advertised...rich and dominated by semi-sweet cocoa. Bitter alkaloids and burnt coffee contast with the rich chocolate, but don't overwhelm the beer. Somewhat distant hops are buried far beneath the huge chocolate taste.

Despite the near pudding-like heavy body, this is quite carbonated and suprisingly drinkable.

My only real complaints here (and they are minor) is that at 6% ABV, I really shouldn't be able to taste the alcohol. The balance leans slightly on the bitter side, just a hair more sweetness and this would be an instant favorite for dessert. That said, this is a very good stout and a must-try for any stout or chocolate lover. Floats anyone?

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%

This nice-looking stout pours thick and creamy, with a medium-sized dark-tan head that is populated by large bubbles. It dies off quickly, leaving almost no lacing. It looks completely opaque, even when held to the light.
I took one whiff and immediately fell in love; almost completely chocolate, but smooth milk-chocolate, not overpowering. A very light malty nose, with hints of hazelnut and coffee. I was excited to try it and hoped the sweet smell didn’t leave me disappointed.
I hate to say it, folks. I was. I’ve come to expect great thins from Rogue, and everyone else seems to be in that boat. The sweet, chocolaty smell led me to believe it would be a bit sweeter than it was. I know, I know it’s a stout, and should be treated as such, but the first thing I noticed was the bitter and highly carbonated mouthfeel. It was dry, smoky, with less chocolate than I was expecting. It most closely resembled chewing on a coffee bean; more bitter than anything. The feel wasn’t flat, but rather the taste. I thought I must have served it too cold so I waited a few minutes. And waited. And waited….and still, an even slight sweetness wasn’t there. I suppose it got slightly sweeter after a few minutes, but it was more or less flat tastes of bitter cocoa, oat, alcohol and coffee. It wasn’t very rich.
I’m not writing off Rogue by any means. It could be a bad bottle; I might have served it incorrectly. I don’t know, but I have to admit I was hoping for a little bit more drinkable beer.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at McGrady’s in Bethlehem

Chocolate. Smells like it. Tastes like it. Looks like it. Pours thick and black with a nice mocha head. The chocolate is the dominant flavor but also has some smoky and malty characters. Hops were not too evident. Really smooth to drink, unfortunately it was on special by the pitcher and even with pawning some off on my skeptical friends I was overwhelmed after two pints. It really s quite bittersweet. Very enjoyable for a pint or two.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Yum-O. Now, I like sweets from time to time, but I'm not a huuuuge sweet tooth person. Still... delicious.

Dark dark dark color with an absolutely beautiful creamy brown head. Smells chocolatey, with a hint of dark fruit waaaay in the background. Deep, very rich. Tastes delicious- at first you get a wave of coffee and burntness, and then the chocolate sneaks up on you. Deep, rich, complex, and not overly sweet and cavity-producing. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and creamy. I could not drink a bomber of this on my own... but it's damn good. Drink your dessert. Cheers.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Chocolate milk. Yoohoo. Milk stout like.
The chocolateynessis a bit overdone, but for chocofans, this is a fine brew to have around.
Smooth. Very smooth. Not as hoppy as expected... a bit more might make this a bit more interesting.
Good though. Pleasing to the palate. Some might even wax poetic at it.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz. Bomber

Chocolate and Oatmeal aromas. Pours dark brown, with light brown creamy head. Bittersweet(mostly bitter) taste similar to baking cocoa. Noticible taste of hops. Thick. Overall, a very interesting beer if you are in the right mood. Not something I'd drink a normal bassis, but definitely worth a try.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

All I can say about this beer is WOW.

Pours a deep black with a creamy head. Looks like carbonated liquid chocolate. Beautiful and inviting.

Smell: Heavenly bakers chocolate, mellow malt, and a slight hop presence. Is this really beer? The hell you say!

Taste: SMACK! Chocolate just explodes in the mouth and finishes wonderfully. So tasty. Every time I took a drink it begged me to take another. So I complied. Bakers chocolate right up front, with a hint of coffee and toffee right behind it. The 22oz bottle was gone in no time, and left me wanting more. BIG chocolate flavor without being too sweet. Mouthfeel was excellent - frothy, heavy, and creamy. Has a nice dry finish that makes you want to take another drink immediately.

Excellent drinkability, an instant favorite...

At 6% ABV its not too strong, and would make a nice dessert after a steak dinner. Try eating some chocolate while drinking this beer. Amazing.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Very black stout. Black like, well, dark chocolate. Pours with a decent, one finger brown head that lasts for most of the duration. No lace, but that's okay. Smells mainly of dark chocolate, with a subtle hint of roasted malts. Hmm, very bittersweet taste. Sweet and bitter dark chocolate, with a bit of a roasted toast taste as well. Nice. Very nice. Mouthfeel is, hmm. Not light, but ligher than expected? I guess medium light. Good, but I was expecting something thicker. Drinkable? Hell yes. Perhaps not session beer drinkable, but one could drink these all night and not get tired of it.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

The color is pitch black with a light-brown head that is incredably thick and creamy. The aroma is of dark baker's chocolate with a nice bit of roastiness thrown in as well. The taste is of an incredably rich, sweet chocolate flavor with a mild roast flavor. The dark chocolate flavors also provide a moderate bitterness that accenuate the incredable chocolatey flavor. A hint of hops gives the flavor a little bit of an edge and reminds you that you're drinking a Rogue product. Anyway, this is world class.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Great stout look, with a nice dark tan head, and totally opaque in the glass.

Smells like chocolate (!), dark, with a touch of supporting roasted grains--you don't get the whole character of this in the nose, but in the mouth it really shines. Chocolate up-front, mouthwatering with only a slight pudding sweetness, then all toasty grains and a great coffee bitterness follow. There's also a touch of earthy, subtle hop in the mix, which keeps the whole thing from being overly rich. A little metallic, maybe from the water? It finishes like chocolate milk, smooth and creamy. There's a little sharpness from alcohol and carbonation, but nothing severe--otherwise, one of the better mouthfeels I've experienced.

What a fun, tasty treat. This is a dessert unto itself, and a neat little novelty item--but surprisingly, there's a darn good stout in the midst of all the chocolate beer gimmickery.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Jet black with a quickly disappearing espresso-tan head. Less than impressive lacing. A little underwhelmed by the appearance actually, but it wasn't bad.

Aroma: very earthy with some roastiness and cocoa. some sweet malty aromas pull through as well. quite nice really.

Taste: Cocoa, rich chocolate truffle, and roasted coffee bean. I think I enjoy this one more than I do the Shakespeare. It's got just a really nice layered flavor. And the chocolate is not really sweet as it is rich in its presence. Man I like this. A great stout with a twist.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with moderate-high carbonation. A bit too much carbonation if you ask me, but this is still a killer stout. Mmmmm tasty.

Drinkability: Goes down very easily. A whole bomber of this stuff after dinner was a real treat.

Notes: Well this is probably one of my favorite stouts to date, although Shakespeare is right up there. Rogue does a really nice job with their stouts. They impressed me more than Old Rasputin or Samuel Smith's even, and those are imperials. Well done, Rogue.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales