Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,895 | Reviews: 1,873
3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 4/13/06 from a 22 ounce bottle.

Poured near black with a two inch mocha head. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, chocolate and even more chocolate. Oddly enough, taste is chocolate too...both sweet and bitter. Mouthfeel is thick and coating. Drinkability is pretty good.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

This is a rich malty sweet beauty with a creamy off white head and thick lacing. The color is completely opaque. The aromas of chocolate and mocha are completely apparent from the opening of the bottle, there are more subtle notes of toasty or roasted grain but not overpowering. I think Rogue has once again proven to me that they can brew whatever they want and succeed. I could drink this beer for dessert any day of the week.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a coal black beer with a tall brown head.

Smell is slightly sweet and fairly hoppy for a chocolate stout. Once you get past the hops the chocolate and vanilla aromas really come out and massage your nose. But there are more aromas; this is unexpectedly spicy with a good cinnamon and slight chili pepper aroma like Mexican chocolate. There also seems to be some allspice and ginger in the scent as well.

Taste is semi dry and spicy at the beginning with a strong cinnamon and ginger flavor.
Chocolate kicks in more after a few more sips, but the spices never quite disappear from the taste and adds that extra kick that Mexican chocolate and coffee has. This is a stout that never gets bitter and stays semi dry in your mouth a most superior stout.

Mouthfeel is thick.

I really want to hate this beer because of who makes it, but I can't do that this is really a great beer. Creamy and tasty this is quite good, and somewhat expensive at $7 a bottle. If you are holding out on trying this just because of who makes it then stop and give it a chance. I would possibly question the Style classification, as this is most certainly a heavily spiced beer.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

22 oz bomber

Pours a thick ceamy head and then disapates quickly. This beer is heavily carbonated with a strong scent of chocolate and malt. Not as strong or smooth as I hoped considering Shakespear's taste. I even tried to pare with chocolate and found it very dissapointing. This beer had no substance to it and left me hanging! Hope next years batch is better!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

A used motor oil brown pour, with very little head present and no lacing. Overly roasted choclate malts, oats, malt ball, cream and sweet vanilla abstract and used coffe grounds make up the aroma.

The mouth of this beer is very austere to me. There are some sharp edges I think need straightening but I feel this way about all of Rouges darker brews. Almost like a low end mocha latte. And I say low end because of the coffee taste, which reminds me of either used rinds or a cheap folgers or maxwell house type blend. Overly choclate hops and oaty flavors and very unsweetened. Roasted malts, cream, cassis, and a slight background hop, and maybe some burnt marshmallow.

This beer leaves a very tannic mouthfeel with a long choclate finish. Too choaclaty for my liking; making this a one beer and done for me.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Smells faintly of chocolate, and pours a very dark brown with milky brownish head. Initial taste is a bit harsh, complex combination of quite bitter chocolate and hops. Following the beer is a great mouthfeel, something like chocolate cake. Perfect drink for after dinner with a desert, or as a desert.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

From a 650ml brown, silkscreen labeled bomber pours an opaque black-brown liquid that does not let light through, it looks like liquid Vegemite. An overly aggresive pour got me a three-finger, cocoa brown frothy head. Plenty of lacing with this one.

First sniff reveals dart bitter chocolate roasted to burnt malts and a very strange hop twang that hard to put a finger on. I am guessing this is not normal for this brew, the best way I can describe it is vinegar and kind of tincture of benzoin...really weird. I will review this beer again soon, as I think this is not a good bottle. I will do my best to continue, putting aside the strange, off-flavor.

Main taste with the first quaff is of bitter chocolate, dark french roast coffee and a strong Cascade hop bittering finish. Very rich and roasty. It starts with just a bit of sweetness then quickly turns bitter and dry with a nice, chocolaty aftertaste that hangs on.

Mouthfeel is lively and cream-like, medium heavy in body and moderately strong, I'd recommend this as an after dinner beer or night capper...cheers.

Note: the ratings I gave reflect what I think the beer deserves and I will review it again soon and adjust as I see fit, thanks. S.O.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Presentation - 22 oz. bomber bottle. Poured shiny black with a dark tan head. Excellent lacing, but that's nothing new for Rogue.

Smell - Sweet cocoa and dark chocolate are predominant. Oats enhance the rich sweetness of the smell

Mouthfeel - Heavy. Thick. Smooth. Very nice. Enough said.

Taste - The smell belies the taste of this beer. I was expecting sweetness along the lines of Young's Double Chocolate, but that isn't the case. The taste is sweet at first, but the dark, more bitter chocolates soon take over. Not that its a bad thing in any way. Coffee and hints of berry can be found. The hop presence is perfectly masked until the finish. Surprisingly dry and hoppy at the end, but that provides an excellent contrast to the sweeter and earthier flavors found towards the beginning. Taaaayyysty!

Drinkability - Strictly a one per night brew at the bomber size. Nevertheless, thoroughly drinkable throughout the bottle. The flavors never wear on you, and alcohol level is reasonably low.

Overall - The word of mouth has been spreading, and with good reason. This beer kicks ass. It takes a backseat to no chocolate stout (I'm looking at you, Brooklyn - you have been matched). The 22 oz. size gives you plenty of time to savor all this beer has to offer. I'm glad I bought two instead of just one! Rogue, why must you be all the way on the west coast???

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Big'ol 22oz bottle poured into my pint glass. Jet black color with a rich brown head that is rich and abundant. Has rooms of rich cocoa and toffee. The roasted malts jump out with coffee, toffee, and vanilla scents.

The first taste is so rich and almost overwhelming. Dark bitter chocolate is the most predominate flavor with espresso lingering in the background. It has a certain dryness to it and isnt sweet by anymeans. As you keep drinking the taste only amplifies in you mouth.

I couldn't do a session of this by any means but paired with the right dessert it would be fantastic. A very high quality brew that I look foreward to using in my cooking.

As much as I like this beer though I've opened two 22oz bottles on seperate occasions and couldnt finish either of them. Afterwhile it just gets to be too much for me.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

All right all right, I guess I'll go ahead and see what all the hype is about over this beer.

Pours quite dark-- just about opaque. Big dark tan head leaves nice tracings on the glass. It took me a while to begin drinking this beer because I was having so much fun just smelling it! Rich milk chocolate, faint pipe tobacco, all wrapped up in a general candy aroma-- smells like chocolate eggs with the hard candy shell... smells like Easter! More goodness on the palate: surprisingly airy and floral, followed by a candy sweetness, chocolate, tobacco, then a sturdy roasted bitterness in the finish. Whereas the aroma seems to be all milk chocolate, the flavor takes on more of a dark chocolate/cocoa profile, along with dark fruits as are often found in dark chocolate-- in this case, dark cherries, perhaps. Whereas this baby is loaded with flavor, the palate remains by and large unsmothered, and as such you may be tempted to gulp this brew right down. But don't-- there's too much complexity and too many rewards in here to rush through. Bravo Rogue.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a very deep brown color with massive tannish head. Left nice lacing on the side of the glass. Taste is loaded with toasted malt but the dark chocolate is also present in large quantities. Taste is sensational with the sweet choclate tastes combining with the roasted malt to form an astonishins delicious taste sensation. Finishes with a slight bitterness, but the sweetness of the chocolate overwelms it. An excellent, well-made beer.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

This is easily one of my favorite beers ever. I first tried it a while ago, before I understood much about beer and was skeptical of the idea of "chocolate-flavored beer"... How naive I was...

I've had it many times since then and it remains my favorite chocolate stout. The chocolate flavor is powerful, yet not overpowering - I like that.

It pours almost black with a fairly thick tan-colored head. It smells like a chocolate bar - and shouldn't it? It is sweet and malty but balanced, making it easy to drink. This beer serves as an excellent "dessert" drink. It was great to sip after dinner, though it goes down so smoothly, if felt as if I'd barely started it before it was gone. It feels as if it starts at the tip of your tongue and just rolls comfortably back down your throat!

I recommend it and I will be definitely be having it again!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours pitch black. I excpected a little color, but this was pleasantly surprising. Huge and puffy chocolate colored head. Good lacing.

The nose is dominated by a deliciously sweet smelling chocolate candy scent. Maybe a little sweet malt, but there's not much beyond the chocolate smell. Not that I'm complaining. It smells fantastic.

The flavor is a mix of sweet malt and a delicious, light chocolate cake. There is a slight hop bite on the finish that nicely contrasts with the early sweetness. A good mix of flavors here. I'm expecting it to get a little richer as it warms.

Rich and creamy with just a little carbonation bite. Sweet, but not too sweet. Excellent balance for the style.

There is no reason not to have another. An excellent brew.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

This is a good beer, but I think it takes the word chocolate to an extreme. It's got the same sort of flavor Hershey's syrup has - rich and slightly bitter. It's good for one glass, but I don't forsee myself buying this again. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable. But it's not your typical beer. At least it doesn't really come off as something I'll ever say I have a yearning for.

The beer pours dark & rich, as you might expect. Little to no head to speak of. Decent aroma with the foreshadowing of chocolate syrup to follow. Decent but thin mouthfeel, with an abundance of chocolate overtones and a malty body. Everything about this is hinted with that chocolate syrup taste - overtones, body, nose, finish, aftertaste. You name it, it's there. After I finished the glass and licked my fingers, it tasted like chocolate.

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Yep, this may be one of my highest rated beers according to style right now. In effect, this beer is the wonderful Shakespear stout with additional chocolate mixed in. I have gone through a case of bombers this winter and could not have been more pleased.

Color- wonderful rich blackness with a nice brown 1 fingerred head
Taste - literally Shakespear witht he chocolate turned up
Smell - did I mention the chocolate, purely seductive with hints of roasted malt and coffee

This could easily be a gateway beer for chocolate lovers. A truly wonderful stout that is just beautifully crafted and will consistently bring a smile to your face with each sip.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer pours an opaque black with a thick tan head from a 22 ounce brown bottle. Malt and a hint of chocolate in the nose. Tastes like a dark chocolate bar. I like beers that have a hint of chocolate in them, this may be more than I prefer, but this is still a good beer by any measure.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

Poured a pitch black body with a thick brownish/tan head.

Nose was a mix of milk chocolate, coffee, toffee, fruits with an overall natural root sort of smell. Almost has a root-beer float sort of smell more than a chocolate smell.

Dark burnt malt taste. Medium bodied and surprisingly smooth. Dark Dark Dark chocolate, coffee, coffee beans, espresso beans, licorice, vanilla beans. Again, I"m thinking more root beer float. Tastes sort of like chomping on chocolate barley malt more than a hershey milk chocolate bar. Very present bItterness that brings itself forward even more as it fades in the end, although it's probably more of a burnt malt bitterness than hop.

I like the concept of a chocolate stout, but I found it to be more of a super dark chocolate malt taste than candy bar sort of chocolate. It's good, but I just didn't think it was well balanced.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

A - 2" rich, deep dark tan head. Black liquid. Great head retention and thick with lace.

S - Malt. Coffee. Chocolate. Lush, rich nose.

T - Smooth subtle chocolate flavor. Roasted malt. Lots of vanilla flavor. Coffee with cream. Nice lingering hop presence in the finish. Tastes more and more like a chocolate malt as the beer warms.

M - Thin to medium bodied. I expected it to be a little more full in the mouthfeel department. Mid level carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink.

D - Good drinkability. Very enjoyable as a nightcap. I think the prevailing word that sums up this beer is smooth.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

This is an exceptional Chocolate Stout. Pours jet-black with a thin, lacy head. Smell is just wondrous, very heavy dark chocolate. I was a little bit worried when I saw "added chocolate flavoring" on the label, but the smoothness of this brew is overwhelming. Very , very nice...

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Rogue Chocolate Stout pours a midnight black color into my pint glass. Atop the completely opaque liquid sets a 1/2", brown head. Moderate carbonation, little lacing. The aroma is all about chocolate; there's modest amounts of roasted coffee and malt smells, and a slight citric hoppiness.

The taste of this beer is, like the smell, completely dominated by a dark chocolate sweetness, with hints of roasted coffee and a citrus bitterness. The mouthfeel is full, thick and creamy; finishes slightly dry with an aftertaste that is a blend of chocolate, coffee, and hops.

A very good beer, but almost a bit too intense on its own. Paired with a dessert, however...amazing. Recommended.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

appearance - a dark chocolate.chocolate.

smell - verry much like a cup o' hot chocolate.

taste - complex and deep with a slight coffie tinge to this sweet chocolate stout.

mouthfell- nice and thick

drinkability - I myself rate this verry high, and if you are a fan of this genre, you proaly will too...but if not you may find it to ba a bit to sweet.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours jet black and completely opaque, with a fairly dark brown head that dissipates reasonably slowly, and leaves a thick ring and good lacing. Smell is laced with thick, sweet chocolate, and has a slightly burnt overtone. The smell just gets stronger and sweeter as the beer warms, until it is like a freshly unwrapped chocolate bar. The taste is of dark, roasted malts with plenty of chocolate coming through. Again, the chocolate becomes more palpable as the beer warms up. Mouthfeel is a touch thin, but still has enough body to satisfy, and the drinkability is remarkable for a stout. This goes down easier than the macro lager I was given at a party last night. Nearly perfect, this is destined to be an all-time favourite.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz
Pours an opaque black color. Large bubbles make up a think dark tan head. Aroma is of semisweet chocolate, but with a bit of biscuit. Almost like chocolate chip cookies.

Taste is similar to the aroma. A little more sweet and burnt malts come out in the flavor over just chocolate. Wonderfully creamy mouthfeel. Burnt grains linger into the aftertaste.

Very nice. Not something to drink more than one of, but would be great to go along with desert or as desert itself.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark chocolatey brown with a nice finger of tightly-packed teddy bear brown head. Definite chocolate. More so than any other beer (even Young’s, in my opinion). Kind of dark chocolate, but also some baking chocolate and maybe some chocolate syrup. Roasted malt/coffee background. Nice. Lightly sweet chocolate. Gives way to drier baking chocolate/cocoa powder. Roasted barley gives a nice bitterness, before rich, chocolate mousse takes over the long finish. This is chocolate beer. Medium-bodied. Not syrupy; in fact, almost dry. Ample carbonation. Yum.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

this is an awesome dessert stout. Nice dark almost black color, thin chocolate head. smells and tastes of chocolate and coffee. creamy taste and mouth feel. nice smooth finish. Heavy enough that you are satisfied and settled after one...relaxing. One of my favorites.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales