Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This is by far one of my favorite beers, and I've had it both on-tap and from a 22oz bottle. Pours out nice and dark, with a creamy tan head.

Smells absouletly awesome, like chocolate, obviously. Reminds me of hot chocolate, but it's cold, and beer. Smells so wonderful that I wish I could inhale it all.

Taste matches up with the smells, except a bit more dry and bitter. Nice roasted malts. Flavored with oats and chocolate, and a bit of the hops poke through. Excellent taste.

Medium carbonation, but altogether very smooth. Leaves my mouth a touch dry.

I could drink these all night, but I could see where it would be filling for some. Excellent with a meal, but stands strong by itself as a dessert beer.

bobbyc881, Jun 13, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

seeing as how youngs double chocolate stout is probably my favorite beer going around, other chocolate stouts have a fair bit to live up to in my eyes. after trying the rogues interpretation, twas as i expected. not as good as youngs, but still very nice, and very american.

lovely deep brown color with a cocoa colored head which was fair to middling. some bubbling here and there but nothing too potent. this beer smelled of only one thing - chocolate. it was as tho someone had dropped a hersheys bar in my beer.it has a very rich and inviting smell, and a little dryness tickles the nose. the taste is pretty good, if a little unbalanced. starts out with smooth chocky flavors, giving way to a slightly roasted hint. silky texture up to the point the beer slams into a huge blast of bitter hops. this just didnt work for mine. the taste was slick, the hops were far too bold and agressive. they tended to take everything over, as they so often do in US beers. just didnt balance with the flavors. on this basis i wouldnt drink more than one of these at a time, and wouldnt drink it over youngs at any stage.

i still enjoyed this beer, but i think its possibly just a tad overrated. if you want a smooth chocolate stout, get youngs, if you want a big, robust and intensely hoppy stout, get shakespeare or storm king. this is somewhere inbetween, and its not so much fencesitting as trying to get the best of both worlds. in my assessment it doesnt quite work.

diablo14, Jun 08, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This was one of the earliest craft beers that really hooked me into the world of better beer. Even though I've tried SEVERAL beers since then, including many American stouts, this one is still one of my favorites.

Appearance and smell. Dark as night. Modest brown head, that subsides into a nice lacing that never dissapears. Smells like dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel. Thick and creamy, just the way I like it. Is it just me, or does my glass feel heavier than usual?

Taste. If you leave this in a cold fridge for a long time, like long enough to get the temp down to slightly below 40F, you will be overwhelmed by chocolate on the first sip. 40F might be too cold for this beer, but don't worry, it warms up plenty quick, and with a 22oz bottle to work your way through, there's plenty of time and beer to get the full spectrum of flavor across several temperatures.

But basically the flavor is chocolate. Bitter roasty stout tastes are also there. This is not a sweet tasting stout by any means, there's plenty of roasted malt bitterness, backed up by hops (there's just enough to be noticed, although I heard that Rogue uses a lot in this brew), and then CHOCOLATE. Embrace the chocolate, you love it. I drank this with some very very smokey tasting marinated and grilled chicken, and it paired excellently.

Some people might give this a low drinkability score, because it's so thick and full of flavor and filling. I won't. I could drink this stuff morning, noon, and night. I would drink this morning, noon, and night, if school/work/money/life in general wouldn't get in the way.

futaboots, Jun 07, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Splitting this bomber with a fellow beer champion...

Pours an opaque black with a thin khaki head that never quite disappears. First smell reveals creamy chocolate, but swirling the glass a little uncovers roasted grain, coffee, and even some lovely hops. Uber-smooth malts begin the flavor, with the creamy milk chocolate coming in pleasantly early. The sweet smooth chocolate sticks around, adding an extremely nice flavor to this stout. Roasted grain is there, along with a little fresh roasted coffee. Finish has a hint of citrous hops with also provide subtle spice. Long aftertaste keeps this hoppy chocolate wonder in my mouth long after swallowing. A truely exceptional brew from Rogue.

BeerFink, Jun 07, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Served on tap at Coho Cafe. Redmond, WA

This is only my third time or so having this style of beer(chocolate stout). I must say I was overwhelmed with the wonderful chocolate taste and smooth drinkability of this beer. I ordered this brew at a restaurant before my food came and damn near wanted to cancel my food and have a two or three more of these, as this is a very filling beer. This one would taste great paired with damn near anything or alone. Rogue has definately done it again with this one. Man, am I glad I found this one on tap! This seems to me to be what other chocolate stouts should be measured by.

superdavex, Jun 05, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured with a nice head that lasted and had a nice aroma. Mildly hopped and had a nice chocolate/coffee hint but not too strong. Went down well and would recommend it highly.
It came in a 22oz bottle but wish it either larger:) or I bought several. A very good stout indeed.

alankwak, May 29, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Big ass 650ml bottle from either Huckleberry's in Spokane for $4.99

Poured what appears to be pretty much midnight black, with a moderate, mocha colored head. Mocha colored lace drips dowh the glass.

Smell is very chocolaty, as one might expect. More chocolaty than the Young's Double Chocolate Stout I had the other night at The Viking. It almost seems too sweet.

Fortunately, in the taste the hops come through to keep the beer firmly grounded and not floating off into cloying land. The cohcolate comes in first, and is rather rich tasting. The hops enter the proceedings partly through, and provide a balancing dry note at the swallow. It keeps this beer in the realm of dessert beer without being too sweet. This would be great after a nice meal.

This is a relatively thick stout, somewhat viscous in the mouthfeel. I have no problem with that, but someone used to watery beers would probably be overcome.

This is an outstanding dessert beer. I feel like I should have a nice cigar around, though my bronchitis keeps that from being an option (haven't had a cigar in 4 months - no longer smoke anything else at all, yet I get bronchitis from f-ing allgergies. Doh!). This is way too sweet to have several pints, but as a one bottle per session beer, it's quite nice. This will have to serve as my New Beer Sunday beer, as I'm off to Wenatchee for several days and, coincidentally, don't anticipate anything new (or, frankly, good) for several days.

woemad, May 26, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Brown head lasting long and stylish like black beercolor. Nose is exceptional giving away a magnificent chocolate arome surrounded by great maltarome and beautiful hopbouqet in a very dry a strawlike surrounding. Never expirienced a chocolate aroma fresh and good as that! Taste is also great being dry, burnt, again straw like and litle cacao give it a strange not. But hell yes this is highly enjoyable and great to drink teasing my mouth and nose and whole body to take another sip. What a great beer IMHO!

paterlodie, May 24, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

This brew pours a dark, murkey black color with a small head that falls to a very generous ring over top of the brew. I don't know if a stout can look any better. The nose is just like cooled down hot chocolate. Huge milk-chocolate just nails me in the nose. Its almost like sniffing the concentrated powder before adding liquid. This truely is a chocolate stout. The flavor is very chocolate, but with a backbone of deep roasted to burnt malt. I enjoy it. The feel is where this brew falters. Its moderate at best. I would really like to see a nice healthy thickness on the feel. It really deserves it. Overall, not a bad brew. I find it easy drinking. The flavor is pretty darn nice. Head to head with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate, it would falter, but it is definately doing the trick for me right now.

kmpitz2, May 10, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled 22oz. bomb thanks to Downtown Liquors in Somerville, MA.
Pours as black as night...two full fingers of light brown head. Lacing is tight, but thin and slowly recedes back into the brew.
Smell is milk chocolate, vanilla w/ a hint of sweet malts.
The taste is now dark chocolate, well balanced w/ the sweetness of the malt. A subtle touch of hops in the dry finish...mouthfeel is impressive, thick but not heavy.
Drinkability is high for its style...just 6% makes this a session brew if you like the type. I would, personally prefer Brooklyn's Chocolate Stout a bit more, but both are two of the best out there.

warriorsoul, May 10, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Split a bomber with the wife. Poured into a pint glass. Dark brown, opaque, but not black, with a rocky tan head. Lacing graced the sides of the glass. Nose is a licorice and dark chocolate blend with some cocoa, light vanilla hints also. Taste is burnt malt (maybe the hops kicking in there) with chocolate overall. Finish is bitter, just this side of dry. Mouthfeel is creamy in the middle, but wet around the edges. A fine tasting chocolate stout, though I prefer the Brooklyn and the Young's over this. I would never refuse one though. I just love Rogue Ales. Tough to go wrong with them.

pentathlete, Apr 24, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Pours a dark dark brown with a hige brown head and great lace. Smwlls of bittersweet chocolate with some highly roasted malt with a hint of cinnamon. Tastes of a highly roasted malt with a bitterswet chocolate. Probably as close to burt as you can get without actually being burt. Tick and chewy with medium carbonation and a coffee like bitternes on the tongue. Not a huge drinkability factor due to its heavyness but will make a great dessert brew.

sabrills70, Apr 24, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

22 oz. bottle.
Pours black with a 1 finger brown head. Milk chocolate and blackened malt smell with cinnamin and vanilla. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Very chocolatey taste with toasted malts and vanilla in the background. Finishes bittersweet and smooth.
An excellent dessert beverage.

beerceller99, Apr 23, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours an almost pitch black with a bumpy brown colored head. There are some little chunks of chocolate in there too. Smells like, umm, chocolate. Of course it is a bit more complex than that! If I had to put a finger on it, I'd say it reminds me a little of German chocolate cake. Taste has a nice bittersweet chocolate flavor with some dark roasted malt. I do have to admit, I occassionally taste an odd metallic off-flavor. From what I gather, this wasn't an old bottle either. This is very disappointing because overall this is one fine stout. Mouthfeel is also a tad thin for such a heavy looking beer. Very smooth, almost like chocolate milk. I'll always try and have one of these in my stash.

Star80, Apr 23, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours with a one-finger light brown head that leaves a little lace. Totally opaque black color. Medium bodied and light carbonation. Nose is strong chocolate. Starts with a strong dark chocolate flavor (are there Hersey bars in this??) and finish is a mix of chocolate and hops. $4.89 for a 22oz bottle from Northend Superette Manchester, NH.

jdhilt, Apr 22, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

22 oz. bomber straight into a large snifter. Pours black, not even a dark red, it pours black. The head was a dark brown, almost looked like some kind of chocolate frosting placed on top. Smells of burnt coffee, strong chocolate and mild hops and alcohol. First taste is of strong coffee, strong chocolate, and it finished with a satisfying mix of chocolate and mild hop kick. One of the first craft beers I tried, but one that I keep coming back to. Highly recommended.

HoboAGoGo, Apr 21, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer pours out of a bomber into a pint with a 2 finger dark brown colored head and a jet black color that light cannot pervade. The smell is utterly fantastic, easily one of the best smelling beers i've ever come across. It smells like the best dessert you could imagine, dark yet sweet chocolate truffle with a hint of vanilla, perfection! The taste nearly lives up to the smell, begins with bitter hops that resemble a dark unsweetened chocolate, followed by a smooth malty middle and ends with a sweet milk chocolate sweetnesss that rests on the tongue along with a slight hops bitterness. A perfectly put togeather stout, one of the best stouts period and easily the best chocolate stout i've tried. Not very drinkable, 22oz is the most i could see drinking at a time and its quite filling. Goes well with any type of fine chocolate. Excellent stout, period.

silver0rlead, Apr 17, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

This is just a beautiful espresso colored beer that only has hints of ruby around the margins of the glass when it's held up to the light. There was about a half a finger of brownish-tan head that diminishes to little islands of fluff.
Really great chocolate and roasted malts, maybe a hint of cherry or plum in there too.
Wow! Like the smell there is a lot of roasted malts and chocolate but with a nice hoppy bitterness and a sweet finish.
The mouthfeel is great. A big thick body, it's like I'm eating a chocolate coffee cake.
The drinkability is nice, a 22 oz bomber is perfect for this one.

Chadbrew, Apr 16, 2005

04/15/05- Purchased at Belltramo's Wine and Spirits in Meno Park, CA

Presentation- Poured into my Chouffe Noel tulip. 22oz bottle with no dates.

Appearance- Very dark pour with a nice dirty 2 inch head which settled over a few minutes. Lacing was very nice as well.

Smell- Dark chocolate and a bit of toasted malt.

Taste- This has a great roasted malt flavor backed with a pretty large dark chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel- Semi-carbonated and a nice coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability- One of my top chocolate flavored stouts. Not quite as good as Stone IRS, but not that far. Quite delicious. Would be great as an after dinner dessert.

GClarkage, Apr 16, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

This one is really really good. Although, some of the reviews may be a bit on the overkill side of praising her. The appearance is murky black with constant strings of bubbles arising throughout the entire duration of the brew. Actually looks like Bosco's/Hershey's syrup when I pour the remainder into my glass. Smells of bitter chocolate all over the place with a sweet malt jumping into my nose. Definitley some semi-sweet chocolate going on about halfway through...I also like trying different chocolates! I have to say that this brew is a good one but it is sweet. There's just not a ton of balance going on as the finish is lingering all on the front of my tongue. That IS what I expected though being a chocolate stout. Feels pretty good going in and down the hatch, with some carbonation and bitter sweet chocolate tickeling the front and sides of my mouth. This was out of a 22 bomber, so I think that 1 of these would be enough for a night. It is a good one to cap the night with though.

Finger licking good!

weeare138, Apr 07, 2005

Pours jet black with decent head retention into a nonic pint glass. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, maybe some fruits present. Taste is quite bold, not overly complex. Just a ton of chocolate creamyness, maybe a touch of coffee and a pronounced hop finish. The hop/chocolate dynamic was an interesting one, although it very much limits this beer's drinkability in my opinion. A very good beer, though not quite as complex as I was expecting. I've had it on draft before and found that to be a much better experience. I would drink this out of the bottle again though.

ChrisBowers, Apr 05, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A pitch black beer, that let no lights pass in. A toffee brown foamy head, and an oily body. Wee tiny bit small bubbles are present, they are so small you cant see them.

Smell of dark chocolate, hops, caramel and some fruity flavours that are shy at best.

Taste is very bitter, a great hoppish finish that beer has, some dark chocolate flavours and roasted malts are also present. It is quite different, but even me a hophead, I do thing the imbalance between the hops and the rest of the beer is not very pleasurable for long. Not a bad beer, just it doesnt go down smoothly compared to well balanced american stout.

3Vandoo, Apr 02, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

This is the single most delicious stout on the planet, and I can't believe I had almost forgotten about it. I knew there was some reason why it was the darker beers that finally made me cross over to better beers for good, even though they were never really a preferred style. This beer is very exceptional, though.

The appearance is what one would expect from any stout. Black to the very core, not even showing a ruby highlight when held up to the light also accompanied by a chocolatey foam cap which quickly recedes to a ring. The smell is typical stout, but one thing is different: chocolate (obviously). It smells like a cup of hot cocoa after a long snow shoveling session. I never thought I would catch myself saying this as spring is just now underway, but if only it were winter again... just for this very moment. The taste is very chocolatey as well, and supported by a nice roasted barley flavor. Back when I used to drink this religiously, my palate was not developed enough to truly appreciate this beer. My tastebuds are now worthy of such a fine brew, and I will once again be picking this up regularly.

edit: I ended up mixing the second half of this bomber with the second half of the Rogue Chipotle Ale I just reviewed as well for a Molé Black & Tan. It was good, but I think I liked this beer better on its own, as the smokiness of the chipotle ale tends to overpower the chocolate.

neonbrown82, Mar 31, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

The bartender asked if I was having any food. Just a beer, I said. Make it the chocolate stout. Hey, he says, beer is food, especially that beer.

He’s right. This is food. And I’m glad I gave this one a second chance because my first effort from a 22 oz. bottle was rather ho-hum. On tap, the chocolate stout is hell yeah.

Rogue’s Chocolate Stout may be thought of as a double chocolate stout; it’s made with both chocolate malt and actual chocolate. In this case Rogue opted to put the chocolate where it belongs; not as a shy condiment, but as a full-term partner boldly defining the flavor from start to finish. The nose is dry, chocolaty, and profound. Likewise, the chocolate flavor washes across the palate with expressive authority. As the more beerish elements recede, the chocolate remains to define the finish. It’s a finish worth lingering over.

Prior to drinking this beer I’d only known much tamer versions of the style such as Young’s. I’m thankful for Rogue’s success in convincing me that chocolate stout is a meritorious concept. I’d previously been skeptical that the temporal sugars of grain maltose fermented in a dark beer could successfully intermix with the tropic sensuality of tart cacao. But it works. It works exceedingly well.

This is an artistic and imaginative beer whose exotic properties are neither shy nor misplaced.

RedDiamond, Mar 31, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured with a gorgeous chocolate colored head of a modest size with lacing reluctantly hanging onto the glass. Looks very attractive.

There is chocolate in the aroma, creamy milk chocolate. Earthy undertones.

The taste is smooth chocolaty, earthy, with a few rough edges around the chewy oat flavor.

For the mouthfeel, I found this stout almost watery in consistency. It is a kind of refreshing effect.. but I'm not sure if I could get used to a stout that is this thin. But on a hot summer night this may be the right choice for a stout.

MrSeth, Mar 28, 2005