Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,878 | Hads: 3,995
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz. Bomber
$4.99
Health Mart

Finally getting around to trying this. It's been on my list to pick up many times but I always seem to pass it by, since it's always available, in favor of seasonals or special releases. Poured black with a big 3 finger brown, creamy, ruddy head. I can't see a thing through this beer. Leaves spotty lacing throughout the entire drink.

This stuff smells amazing. Big notes of chocolate and cream. Mildly roasted barley and a small hint of coffee beans. Smells like dessert in a bottle. Fantastic!

Flavor has all the qualities of the aroma with a little extra. Starts off with the creamy milk chocolate. Roasted malts and coffee grounds come through mid-palate as the chocolate starts to fall back. On the swallow there's a mild hop spiciness and coffee ground bitterness.

Medium bodied and somewhat creamy. Lively in the back of the throat. My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is the mouthfeel could stand to be a little more creamy. Still very nice though.

This chocolate stout is an easy one to put back. Wonderful flavor and aromas make it a pleasure to drink.

I'm surprised at how good this stout really is. I wasn't sure if it could live to the hype or not. I wish I would have picked this up sooner. Another great beer from Rogue.

Reviewed: 2/25/07 (1,309 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Split a 22oz bottle with a friend. This pours a dark brown color with a fluffy brown head. The aroma is mixture of cocoa and malts. I was expecting a heavy, dense, volume with this but instead its rather light and creamy. The most obvious taste being the unsweetened chocolate and malts. I was expecting a little something more and different from this one. (356 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I enjoyed this very much for a stout. Liked it so much its now on my list of favorites and I bought a second bottle for the immediate future.

Color: dark black, light tan head was 1.5 to 2 fingers that didn't last more than a few minutes, (hey I'm thirsty).

Smell: deep chocolate x2,with very mild and pleasant fruit tone,raisin? Again more chocolate..

Taste: chocolate syrupy feel as wash over my tongue with a light carbonation and succulent bitterness, (enough too make my mouth water for a second sip,) at mid tongue and the finish is warm and mellow. ABV at 6% but this larger bottle was very fulfilling to me. I would definitely not share this bottle with anyone unless she looked like Penelope Cruz.

Definitely on my nice list! (740 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed live. Reviewed as an American Stout because it self-identifies as a chocolate stout and it's American. Okay label art. "Made with imported chocolate." 69 IBU. 15 degrees plato. 650ml brown glass bottle with standard branded pry-off cap acquired at a local Vons grocery in Santa Monica for $3.99 and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average since it's on the beers of fame.

Served chilled, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of khaki-tan colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Little lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is well above average - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable solid opaque black; dark but not a jet black per se. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Standard fare for the style. Not unique or special. No obvious flaws.

Sm: Cocoa powder/dust, chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, buried light roast. Not getting any coffee, vanilla, or molasses. Hop character is present yet generic; hopping is primarily preservative here. Sweet. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An above average to mild strength aroma.

T: Dark malts and chocolate malts dominate, but there is a slight hint of roast just before the climax that dies almost immediately. Definitely on the sweeter end of the sweet/bitter spectrum. Stale cocoa dust. Oats. Fairly balanced, but there's room for improvement. Would definitely benefit from more complexity and subtlety. I do like it in a general sense. By no means mind-blowing. The chocolate itself isn't particularly rich or evocative; sort of a generic crumbly milk chocolate with heavy cocoa powder notes.

No coffee or vanilla. Lacks flavour diversity, depth, and intensity. Flavour duration is good.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and slightly soft. Good thickness. Nice creaminess for what it is. Good carbonation. Not biting, harsh, gushed, or oily. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Not syrupy. Decent body.

The soft texture is a highlight.

Dr: Very drinkable; I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle. Fairly priced at $4.00 USD per bottle; I'd definitely get it on-draught at this price. For a beer of fame though, it's not horribly impressive. A pretty decent offering from Rogue, but it's far from mind blowing. I wouldn't want more than one in any given night. Tasty but forgettable. Rogue makes better beers. Hides its ABV well.

High C+ (2,595 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beer is jet black with a small cocoa-coloured head. Head fades fairly quickly but not entirely.

Nose contains chocolate- surprise, surprise. Roast malt. Nothing else, but a nice smell.

Like the smell, the taste contains chocolate and roast malt. A bit of a hoppy flavour, slight citrus. Almost tastes like bitter orange. Fairly bitter finish. Taste a bit thin.

Medium bodied, thinner than expected. Strongly carbonated, a bit too much.

Overall, not bad, but not as good as I had hoped. (490 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a bottle.
Pours almost black with a brown head that didn't stick around for long.
Smells a little like chocolate but also some malt/coffee aromas too. Not a really big smell.
Taste has strong hints of chocolate but not nearly the chocolate blast of the Rogue Double Chocolate Stout. More bitter at the finish then I expected, given the start.
Mouthfeel is really not very thick for a stout, but maybe I should have expected as much given 6% ABV.

Overall a pleasant chocolate stout. If you really want a thicker, chewier chocolate blast, the Rogue Double Chocolate Stout is better, but this is more balanced. It was better overall then the sum of its parts.

And one food pairing suggestion: raw chocolate chip cookie dough with this beer is a revelation. (770 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -26.1%

poured into a clean pint glass

A: very dark with thick head which was dark in color.

S: I didn't smell much slight dark roasted malt no real decernable chocolate smell.

T: I only tasted a slight roasted coffee taste typical of a stout no real chocolate taste at all. Slightly hoppy.

M: heavy and creamy

O: I know this has gotten some really good ratings but I don't see why. There was very little taste to this beer and the chocolate didn't add anything to it as far as I was concerned. (492 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. Rogue does not print freshness info on the bottle.

Not the rich, sweet, smooth beer taste I was expecting based on the aroma. Did I get an old bottle? There was little to no sweetness. This beer needs better balance. A disappointment for me. You should try this beer if you are a stout fan, which I am, but not again for me.

A – Pours a clear reddish brown with a one-finger rocky tan head.

S - Milk chocolate, followed by coffee with some sweetness.

T – Coffee, some roasted bitterness, a bit of alcohol, a bit thin (-)

MF – Thin, dry, a little astringent (-), minerally. (606 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Well I been looking forward to this beer for quite some time now. I drank it during a hotter afternoon and in hide-sight was probably a mistake. A cooler evening or sometime during the fall would have been a better time. Anyway, I was not disappointed in the results.

A-A pour showed me a thick dark syrupy liquid hit my glass with no remorse. The initial head that formed was almost comically large. I had to wait until it settled down a bit before the normal head formed before I could finish pouring it. Three fingered head with a craggy top. Jet black color. Not even lighter on the sides. Just BLACK and just the way it should be.

S-Coffee, chocolate, and aroma hops hit the nose. I felt like it was a combination of a chocolate frappe and a hoppier beer.

T-Dang, that is good. A surprise hop bitterness pounces at you and leaves you with a roasted chocolate flavor to mull over in your taste buds for a minute or two. Even as I'm writing this I feel as I can still taste the lingering flavors. Initial bitterness was under control despite an IBU of 69!

M-Thick. I probably should have used a spoon to drink it. It really let you know you were drinking a stout, and not just any stout but a Rogue's Chocolate Stout.

O-I really enjoyed this one. Quite thick, quite sweet, and quite dominant. I stout that runs up to you, gets in your face, and demands that you like it; despite the fact that the hardcore beer drinkers think its a sissy beer because contains chocolate. A bold and brash boss who lets you know who is in the building. (1,542 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good looking, pretty blackish, except you can see a little light getting through on the pour, leaving a nice brown lasting head with some pretty good lacing.

Aroma is quite chocolatey. I get a lot of chocolate and not a whole lot else, except for maybe a touch of roasty notes and a tinge of coffee.

Flavors come out as more complex than the nose, with a good blend of bitter, chocolate (dark and milk), sweetness, coffee, burnt, roasty and toasty notes. It's quite tasty, with a good bit of complexity. The bitterness is pretty high, but it blends with the sweetness and cocoa/chocolate flavors well.

Body is pretty thick and chewy, with a bit of an bitter, dark semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste.

I really like these thick and rich stouts that aren't jam packed full of alcohol. This is a good one, I would certainly have it again. I can't remember if I like it better than their regular oatmeal stout or not, as it's been a while. I recall liking it tho, and I would guess this one is somewhat similar in overall nature. (1,034 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer had a nice scent to it... Not sure if cocoa nibs was used or just the chocolate malt but either way i couldnt get the scent right. Taste had a overpowering smoked flavor that had a alcohol finish. I wanted more chocolate but overall not a bad stout... Just not their best. I would stick with their oatmeal stout. (322 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark, black, with a tall, fluffy, tan head. Looks pretty good.

Smell: Chocolate, a little bit bitter, smells a little like coffee.

Taste: The chocolate seems to come towards the end of the taste. There's a bit of bitterness, then a touch of sweet, followed by the roasty, chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a heavier beer, and a little coarse. A good bit of carbonation, and it's nice.

Overall: This is pretty good. I'm not sure I like it as much as Samuel Smith's chocolate stout, but that may also be because I'm new to this style. (556 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in black color with a light fluffy tan head.

The aroma is fantastic. Just big milk chocolate bomb with the smell with some malt.

The taste is pretty good. I wish it was silkier like other bigger ABV stouts. It surely has more chocolate flavor than Young’s Double Chocolate. It then finishes with a bit of a hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is a bit light.

It’s not exactly my style as I prefer a creamier, milkier chocolate stout like some Russian Imperials or American Double stouts. It’s more of a well rounded beer with a hint of chocolate. Go into this expecting a beer with some chocolate, not a chocolate stout. (638 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass

A. dark black. pours a finger of coffee-tinted head. creamy lacing.

S. milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. undertones of vanilla.

T. bitter chocolate. roasted malts. notable hop presence.

M. Medium body. The roasted malts fill it out. well carbonated. smooth finish.

O. powerful stout. the chocolate is overwhelming in a good way. pretty low abv for a stout with this much flavor, but that's okay. sweet and roasty. would have again. (480 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - A nice dark rich black with a good head

S - This a great smelling beer and the chocolate really stands out

T - This beer has a very nice slight bitter/sweet taste with the right amount of chocolate flavor.

M - A well carbonated smooth stout and goes down very good

O - This is the best chocolate stout that I have had thats why my fridge always has one. Glad this one is made year round. (399 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into an 8 ounce sampling glass. The label states that the beer is made with imported chocolate. Rolled oats are also an ingredient. No freshness date is apparent. A moderate pour produces a 1/2 inch, light brown head that reduces quickly, leaving some marbly lacing that sticks a little to the glass. The beer is a very dark brown which almost lets no light escape...

You can really smell the chocolate, and possibly also hazel nuts- the beer reminds me of this brewery's brown ale, which is excellent. The hops are not real apparent in the aroma, but show up well in the taste and aftertaste, and seem to mesh perfectly with the chocolate flavor without overpowering anything. This was somewhat surprising, given the high number of IBUs (69). Despite the rather aggressive flavors/aromas, a hearty dose of roasted malt flavors and textures shine through. The beer is fairly dense in body but not as dense as one might expect, based on the color and other qualities.

I tend to balk at spending over 5 dollars for a bomber of beer, but I've never been disappointed with a Rogue product, and consider the money as well-spent. (1,146 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me! (326 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: This beer pours black with one and a half fingers of dark khaki colored head. The foam takes awhile to settle, leaving decent lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is Vanilla, milk chocolate, and a touch of marshmallow. Smells great.

T: This beer is nice and sweet. I get milk chocolate and vanilla right up front, but it's not overpowering. Sweet, but not too sweet. As it moves to the middle I get some roast and bitters on the back end. It's well balanced.

M: Full bodied beer. It's smooth, coating, but not too sticky. The sweetness hits the palate first but it transitions wonderfully into bitters as it fades.

O: Very nice beer. I didn't have a lot of expectations for this beer, so I am pretty darn impressed. The flavors are great, it's sweet but not overpowering, it's a great dessert beer. I would drink this again, and would recommend it to someone looking for a milder version of Southern Tier's Choklat. (918 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Portion of a 22 oz bottle into a regular glass.

A: Pours a dark burgundy color with good opacity. The head is a two finger mocha shade. Good lacing is left down the glass.

S: There's a decent chocolate character backed by some roasted malts and citrusy hops. The chocolate is sweet, though a touch off putting. Far from bad, though.

T: Chocolate gives way to a roasted barley finish, laced with some bitter hops. It strikes a better balance than the double version. All in all, the flavor profile is simple, but not cloying.

M: It's dry and light...at first. This initial sensation cleanses the chocolate sweetness well, however it doesn't fully clean it up. Therefore, it strikes me as unfocused, as it's caught between 'dessert beer' or 'drinkable dry stout'.

O: This would make a rock-solid everyday stout if it were A) in 6 packs and B) less expensive. It's still a decent offering, and better than the double. (920 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A- pours a dark almost opaque black with a nice thick tan head

S- WOW i love the smell of this beer. The chocolate is super evident. Dark and milk chocolate smell with a sweet sugar cane almost maple smell along with a nice vanilla hint.

T- Follows the nose, this beer has a lot of chocolate flavor. With a nice hops bitter finish which gives this beer a higher IBU.

M- My only complaint about this beer. It has a medium body feeling with a lot of carbonation. I would like there to be more thickness and velvet texture. Keep in mind this is just my thought on it.

O- I really like this beer. It is a light stout that can be enjoyed any day. This beer really has both sides of the equation. It has the nice robust chocolate taste upfront followed by a bitter hoppy aftertaste which makes this beer very well-rounded and enjoyable to most beer drinkers. (858 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep black color with a thick caramel head with good retention.
Aroma of milky chocolate and cocoa powder, it becomes quite interesting and stronger once it warms up.
In its taste, there is a bold chocolate flavor that shows upfront and with a good deal of hops to balance it. Also malty, yeasty and condimented. Dry and bitter aftertaste with its lingering taste.
Full body with good carbonation. A bit oily.
You really don’t fell the 69 IBUs. Great stout and well balanced, not overly complex, focusing on what is promising: chocolate. A must for chocolate lovers. (568 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer pours dark brown from the bottle, with an ample, cola-like head.

S: Dry baking cocoa is the dominant note, with undertones of conventional stout-like toasted malt. Not unexpected, but pleasing.

T: The taste reverses the smell, with toasted malt making its appearance at the forefront, but with just the subtlest hint of dark chocolate in company with hops in good balance, appearing most plainly on the finish.

M: This beer's mouthfeel doesn't quite match its good looks, smell and taste, and was somewhat thinner and more sparse than I expected, though it is accompanied by a pleasant amount of carbonation.

O: Competent, if not complex, the components of this beer don't, for me, add up to an outstanding whole. I'd drink it again, and it is solidly above-average, but somehow seems slightly lacking. (820 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, rich dark red brown almost black with a large dark tan head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: big chocolate nose, sweet, brown sugar, dark malt

T: cocoa, vanilla, cinnnamon, bitter chocolate taste up front that quickly fades into a malty middle, slight bitter hop on the finish

M: silky with lower carbonation and a lingering finish

O: the chocolate presence is there but more with flavors of cocoa than a candy bar, the dose of hops adds an interesting twist to the finish (541 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours seal brown with a modest mocha head of coarse bubbles. Aroma smells of milk and dark chocolates, coffee, and citric hops. Flavor is surprisingly mild considering the aroma. I'm thinking this may require considerable warming to get the most out of it. For now, I'm getting a well balanced blend of roasted malt (tending toward coffee) and earthy, citric hops. A delightful mocha haze sneaks up late in the aftertaste. Some milk chocolate is there, but it's very faint in comparison to the more acrid elements. To be honest, I'd be hard-pressed to brand this a chocolate stout when I think of the many stouts out there with a far great chocolate character. Even Rogue's own Shakespeare Stout has a stronger chocolate presence in my opinion. I had this a couple years ago and recall having much the same impression. The mouthfeel is pretty zippy, perhaps a little too much so for the style. With that said, this remains a drinkable stout with a nice roasted character, albeit short on the eponymous chocolate. (1,012 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Black as coal and yielding no light there's a ton of carbonation that creates a frothy soapy brown head.

The scent has pure milk chocolate, creamy and sweet, but I'm reminded of hot cocoa with a layer of marshmallows floating atop. Bits of caramel or toffee with a graham crackery, marshmallow aroma fill the nose.

The taste is dry, chocolatey with a strong burnt maltiness. Touches of coffee mix with the chocolate and present an espresso creaminess. There's some watery tones that end with a metal like feel at the aftertaste but its not so off-putting as to keep one from enjoying a really good stout. (606 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales