Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours black with mahogany highlights and thick tan head which leaves good lace along the glass. Smells of very strong coffee malts, chocolate malts, and actual chocolate backed with hop spice. Flavor is a lovely balance of coffee malts, bitter-sweet chocolate, and cascade hops. Mouth-feel is soft and chewy, but relatively drinkable for a beer this heavy. Extremely appetizing as a desert beer.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: 22-ounce bomber. Dark, dark brown in color..very opaque. Very thin brown head even with a vigorous pour.

Smell: Nice smell of roasted coffee and obvious chocolate aroma.

Taste: Tastes strongly of dark chocolate and very apparent roasted flavor. The roasted malts are good, but maybe a little too much? I dunno, the taste just let me down a little given the other offerings I've had from Rogue. I didn't like the combination of bitter coffee and chocolate in this one and didn't enjoy the aftertaste. I think without the coffee bitterness, I would have enjoyed the taste a lot more.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation from this one, but the body is definitely fairly full. Soft, creamy finish.

Drinkability: The thick body and full flavors make this one beer you won't be drinking in large quantities.

Overall, I think other Rogues have spoiled me, because this didn't live up to my expectations like I hoped it would. Either way, I recommend it because it is still a great, very tasty chocolate stout...just not exactly to my taste.

Impenetrable black with an ovaltene head. Lace sticks with the glass at every swallow documenting your progress.

Nose is heady chocolate built by hints of toffee, dark chocolate, artificial vanilla.

The taste rings off like a chocolate coffee drink due to the heavy influence of the cascades, though in my particular sample bitterness was the hop's main contribution. I cannot help but be reminded of a hot fudge sundae.

The heavy viscocity might hurt the drinkability a bit, but truly this beer is a liquefied chocolate bar, and not of the dirty American stepchild variety. A chocoholic's dream.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

This beer comes in a bottle with a silkscreened drawing of some person on it, pretty lame artwork in my opinion. Oh well I don't have to look at the bottle, I'll just look at a club magazine instead.

This beer pours a dark brown color with a frothy tan head. Smell is of roasted malts and intense chocolate. The smell is really great but I was dissapointed by the lack of chocolate in the taste. It was sweet, malty with some hops and there was a slight chocolate flavor but nothing like I expected from the aroma. Nice thick bodied beer, like a glass of chocolate milk. Excellent drinkablity, definately a session beer.

Black and thick, with a creamy brown head. Aroma of dark chocolate, roasted malt, some coffee. Taste was roasty, dark bitter chocolate. Somewhat smokey, somewhat sweet. After taste was a nice milky unsweetened chocolate flavour. Full bodied, yet surprisingly easy to drink. Just delicious.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Pitch black pour. Rather long-lasting big tan head. Rich malty aroma reminiscent of chocolate milk, smarties, vanilla. Definitely reminds me of smarties... Gets a bit too tart (citric and lactic) to be extremely enjoyable to me, but as far as sweet stouts go, I’ve rarely encountered better. I guess I’d just love it more would another less citric hop replace those astringent cascades. Well made nutty bitter finish counters the heavy sweetness, although it tastes more like bitter black chocolate. Gets roastier and roastier as it warms, like burnt chocolate. Good full body, oatmealish, velvety.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Looks like chocoalte, smells like chocolate and tastes like chocolate. My first chocolate stout and I was amazed how this beer really does taste like chocolate. The beer is almost black - a very dark brown with a tan leather head that did not last long but left lots of lacing on the glass. Rich, strong smell of chocoate and the taste is a tart chocolate with a hint of coffee. A smooth mouthfeel and pretty drinkable for such a unique tasting beer.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Very dark brown beer, nearly black, with no highlights. Dense, creamy, tan head that persists and really sticks to the sides of the glass. Chocolate and rich toffee aroma, almost butterscotch, with some roastiness and a light alcohol smell. Very smooth, creamy texture. Rich chocolate flavour with burnt and roasted maltiness in a support role. Flavours are quite well-balanced. Alcohol is just at the edge of taste perception, but does cause a slight warming on its way down. Light hop bitterness appears at the finish, but doesn't overpower the malt and chocolate. Carbonation assists the creamy texture with tiny bubbles mixing well with the full-bodied beer.

Brown 650 mL bottle, freshness code on rear label.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I poured this beer out of the silk-screened bomber into a standard pint glass. The body of this looks nicely dense on the pour and it’s just about as black as any other big stout I’ve seen before. The head is surprisingly light, sort of a very light tan. That sucker is immobile for a long time though, it hangs tougher than the new kids. Big fat clumps of foamy lace cling to the glass as the liquid descends down my glass. The aroma is very inviting, roasty, nutty and not surprisingly a big fat dollop of milk chocolate. The flavor reminds me of a really nice stout mixed with chocolate milk, it’s that chocolatey. The flavor is predominately charred malt and soft, chewy milk chocolate, the cascade hops put their foot down a bit in the finish and after-taste but aren’t quite as assertive here as I perceive them in some of Rogue’s other beers. The mouthfeel is an even medium I’d say and the carbonation lightens the perception. This is a damn fine beer, and I’ve never tasted this much chocolate in any other beer before.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark and thick, very roasty. Not in aroma, but certainly in solid and smooth stout. Rolled oats provide body and sweetness to otherwise semi-bitter chocolate.. Very drinkable. Very natural and well rounded, not sweet nor bitter. Nicely hopped. RIch medium-full mouthfeel.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Although this beer was pricy, ($5.65 CDN for a 650 ml bottle) it was one that I had to try. I was not disappointed in the least. It poured a nice dark brown bordering on black, with a thick and creamy light brown head. The smell is roasted malt and a sweet coffee-like aroma. The taste is amazing, like an alcoholized mix of rich chocolate milk and espresso. The finish is like a piece of bittersweet chocolate melting down the throat. Mouthfeel is very smooth and nice a nice sweet/bitter flavour sticks around for a while. I really enjoyed this beer, and will definitely be purchasing it again soon.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours from the bomber a beautiful black with a nice dark tan head. I can't see through this and holding it up to the light doesn't help much. This is as dark as night. The smell is of roasted, burnt malts with a healthy dose of chocolate on the nose. Hops are subdued in the mix..smells like some freshly baked brownies. This is my dessert after a nice dinner.

The first taste is quite complex. A nice mix of floral hops and roasted, nutty malts intertwines with what I would say is the perfect amount of bitersweet chocolate flavor. Damn..this is one tasty brew. Almost tastes like some fine dark chocolate to me, maybe a hint of coffee in there as well. This is quite well balanced and easy to drink. Sweetness is there but is counteracted with a nice does of biterness.

The mouthfeel is good and it goes down smoothly. Drinkability is right up there as well. It tates so good I just want to keep downing it. Forget the cake, pie, cookies or anything else...after a fine meal serve some Rogue Chocolate Stout instead.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Bottle: Poured a pitch black stout with a medium brownish head with better then average retention. I was quite surprised at the hoppy aroma with light chocolate/ roasted coffee notes. I guess my expectation (because of the name) were to find real discernable chocolate taste, instead I feel that the overabundance of hops covered the chocolate with a lingering bitterness. A bit more sweet and chocolate taste would have been a better representation of what to expect of a chocolate stout. Nonetheless, this is a very good stout.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Sampled while in Vegas. Poured from a 650 ml brown bottle, silk-screened label. A pitch black body, blocks out the light. Large creamy tan head. Intense chocolate aroma with faint hops. Sweet milk chocolate flavour, with dry coffee, balanced out with the cascade hops. Smooth mouthfeel, effervescent and somewhat light. Not necessarily a session ale, but one that's worth picking up on a regular basis.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours the prerequisite opaque black of a good stout, topped with a nice rocky tan head coats the glass with lace. The aroma is overwhelmingly of milk chocolate with a nice hoppiness (both bitter and aroma). The taste starts out with plain Cadburys, then dark chocolate, resinous mollases and oats take over. A very capable hop bitterness is detectable. The finish is sweet, of more milk chocolate, but definitely not too sweet like some stouts (caribean, Im looking your way). The mouthfeel is creamy and slightly slick with lots of soft carbonation evident.

This is a very good stout that tastes like actual chocolate. One criticism I have is that the chocolate taste is a little too dominant. It has very little roasted barley flavor. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is definitely a more balanced beer.

*note* One really cool thing about this beer is theres a residue left in the bottom of the glass thats like the stuff you see in a Quick chocolate milk mix. It might be yeast but it really tastes like chocolate. This beer is totally made with real chocolate.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Well, for me this is one of those died and gone to heaven beers. I put it in the fridge to chill it out and the anticipation just about kills me.

Dark when poured, firm good sized head, laces nicely. Good looking beer.

Smells and tatses magnificent. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Sweet and delicious on the nose, a little syrupy maybe, but chocolate. Earthy and dark, smooth and full of flavour. Chocolate. Malt, coffee, some burnt chrcteristics.

An excellent marriage of chocolate and beer. Worth every penny. Tasty and well crafted. Go buy a couple and be prepared to enjoy.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

I am really careful to ever label a beer as being perfect, but the beer gods allowed me to taste the nectar of heaven. This beer is phenomenal is every aspect of the sense. The 22oz bomber is a godsend. This poured out a beautiful pitch black with fluffy tan head that resembled that of a root-beer float. The smell had definate hints of chocolate that just teased the senses. That first sip got my motor-neurons running 100 mph. The sweet taste of chocolate was followed by a little burnt taste and the combinate was spectacular. This truly is the finest beer that I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Whoa! Call me the Kool-Aid Man, but I had to exclaim "Oh Yeah!" when I had this beer (luckily I hadn't had enough to bust through a wall yet.) Deep brown with a puffy tan head, looked good but didn't look so special, but smelled like a Hershey's Special Dark, or the bags of chocolate chips I used to steal from the kitchen cupboard. Ultra creamy fabulous semi-sweet chocolate malts with a lightly citrusy hopped coffee finish. Goes down crazy smooth with great lacing all the way. Superb.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz bomber from the LCBO. Date code stated it was well within freshness peak. Served at 43deg.F in a thick English pint glass.

The pour revealed a black stout that allows no light through the glass. Lovely frothy chocolate colored cap... mild to medium carbonation. Nose is predominated with sweet spicy cocoa tones with some must from the oats lemony hops were just barely detectable.

Mouth feel is big with sturdy malty/oat body and predominated by distinct chocolate tastes balanced against grassy hops that mildly bitter the cocoa flavor in the surprisingly silky, light (for a stout) finish.Taste not unreminisant of liquid semisweet baker's chocolate. A very tasty stout and very drinkable ( I usually don’t value stout for easy smooth dinkability).

I like this stout....would recommend it and actually prefer it to St. Ambroise Oatmeal stout. One tip: when you pour this from the large bottle, leave 2 fingers in the bottle...swirl it then pour this into your glass...there is quite a bit of delicious oat and cocoa sediment on the bottom that really aids in the smoothness of the finish.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

22 oz. Bomber with a chick holding a mug of Stout on the front. Poured a black brew with a deep brown head that didn't last long. The aroma is fairly mild with hints of roasted grains, chocolate, and herbal hops. The flavor is exceptional as this stout has a sweetness in the beginning just as chocolate itself has a sweet creamy inital flavor, while the beer then segues to a nice chocolate finish matched by roasted malt flavors. The mouthfeel is excellent in regards to carbonation but i believe that the body is a bit light. Very drinkable with spicy foods as an excellent contrast of flavors as the Stout cuts through the heat of the dish for the brief time that it is on your tongue then after you swallow the heat is back.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a deep, beautiful, ink black with a rather active espresso colored head. Maximal lacing and good retention. Smells overtly of chocolate and coffee. This is shaping up nicely. Taste wise it is a home run. Huge waves of coffee, slightly burnt, and chocolate malt enbalm your mouth. This stuff is desert and that's just how I'm having it. Finshes slightly dry with a nice sweetly astringent quality to it. Mouthfeel is rather big but quite enjoyable. God help me if I ever find this on tap.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Rogue Chocolate Stout was served from a 22 oz. silkscreened bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was black, and was topped by an ample brown head that eventually receeded, leaving pools of shimmering obsidian-like blackness. Rich aromas of cocoa-chocolate, cola, and creamy sasparilla wafted from the glass, integrated with a superb and intriguing roasty smoky earthiness. This stout delivered divine flavors...beginning with a dark chocolate-cola roasty maltiness that opened up with an excellent earthy cocoa bitterness and perfectly subtle non-descript esters. The finish was cocoa dry and cola-like with cherry esters, leaving lingering bitter chocolate notes. Yes I could tell there is some real chocolate in there. The body was richly full and smooth: perfect for the flavors and character of the beer. I was very impressed with the Chocolate Stout, enjoying it immensely, in contrast to the Shakespeare, which I think is a bit unrefined and out-of-wack with its esters. Being a lover of both stouts and super dark chocolate, I highly recommend this one to other like-minded individuals. Perhaps my favorite from Rogue.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The beer has a dark brown-black body, completely opaque, and is topped with an inch of dark tan foam. Good head retention, a 1/2" stays the entire time.

Smell: This has a wonderfully rich nose of cocoa powder and lightly roasted malt; only the most faint touch of bitterness in the nostrils.

Taste: This is pure decadence. A well balanced malt profile gives this a rounded flavor, not an astringent one. Rich dark malts combine nicely with real chocolate? to elicit the cocoa flavor in the nose, and even a sweet coffee liquer flavor. So smooth and chocolately. Mmmm. Even though I don't match beer with desert, this could convince me otherwise. Roasted bitterness creeps in to finish, and keeps one honest.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, not thick and viscous like an Imperial, but not flimsy and weak like a dry stout. Just right.

Drinkability: I'd gladly have more than one. Delicious. I'm very happy to have found it on tap in my neck of the woods.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Wow. Wow. That's all I can say. I had this on tap in a 20 oz. glass at Spuyten Duyvil.
Beer brewed with actual chocolate, as this one is, scares me. I don't think of it as a natural combination (except for maybe some good dark chocolate with a malty barleywine).
The chocolate is incredibly aggressive in the aroma, making for one of the most unsual and delicious smelling beers ever. But again, I'm thinking "I don't want to taste this, just smell it."
Well, I was wrong. The chocolate is there in the taste, but not nearly as aggressive as in the aroma, and it is quickly balanced by smooth, dark roasted malt with some nice hoppiness on the edge. The beer finishes cleaner than any stout I've ever had, as the chocolate shows up again in the aftertaste, more in the form of vanillin, perfectly balancing out the roastiness. Mouthfeel is smooth, smooth, smooth. One might classify this as a dessert beer, but I think not one to accompany dessert; rather, it IS dessert. Sublime.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Darkest mahogany. I would call it ebony but I get the sense that there's a reddish tint when the glass is held up to bright sunlight. The generous head is toasted cocoa brown in color, tight-bubbled and semi-firm. It looks like it might be an impressive lacer, but despite maintaining a thick creamy disk, there isn't a lot of glass coverage. A short collar and a few small scraps is it.

There's an undercurrent of dark, roasted malt and citric hops, but the nose is dominated by an enticing, liqueur-like, bittersweet chocolatiness. It smells like an entire bottle of Hershey's syrup was added to the bomber. This is, without question, the most chocolatey nose of any beer that I've ever had. Wow, a beer milkshake!

My impressions after tasting are nearly identical to my impressions after smelling. Sure, you have your roasted black malt and your trademark Rogue hoppiness (Cascade in this case), but man oh man, the sweet, silky, liquid chocolate goodness is exploding over my tongue and is lingering seemingly forever.

The carbonation is under the radar stealthy, which only improves the smooth, impossibly creamy texture. It isn't full and chewy like an Imperial stout, but it really doesn't need to be for maximum enjoyability. This is one amazing beer.

When I saw that Rogue added natural chocolate flavoring (the front of the silk-screened bottle says "made with imported chocolate") I was all set to put on my beer snob hat, invoke purity laws and say things like 'why couldn't they make it taste like chocolate using only roasted malt, etc.' That was before I tasted it.

I don't care what they added to make it taste this delicious, I just hope they keep on brewing it. If ever there was a chocolate beershake, this is it. If that strikes some as heresy then I'll gladly consume their share. Rogue Chocolate Stout is, in my opinion, the definitive chocolate stout and the one by which all others will now be measured. Tremendous stuff!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales