Microbrew Invitational

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Reviews: 1,901 | Ratings: 4,130
4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Pours a dark black color that is completely inpenetrable by light with a one finger brown head that quickly recedes.

S: Smells of roasty, chocolatey goodness with hints of bready malts

T: Chocolate smokiness dominates the tastebuds when it first hits the mouth and then fades off with a long and lingering dark chocolate taste.

M: Medium carbonation with a pretty light mouthfeel

D: Very drinkable. Not overly complex so the tastebuds are not needed to evolve much with this drink

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

look - big, fluffy, dark tan head. filled with huge, medium and small bubbles. almost pitch black body. completely opaque.

smell - chocolate and chocolate. and more chocolate. also a bit of a roasty character. maybe even a fruity scent?

taste - sweet chocolate up front. mostly dark chocolate, but the creaminess suggests a semi-sweet or milk chocolate as well. roasty malt in the middle and a bit of a bitter finish at the end.

feel - thinner than i would have thought. definitely a medium body, more towards the thick side...but i expected a thick, creaminess. a bit of a prickle from the carbonation. a bit sticky on the lips.

overall - i dig it. i've only ever had two chocolate stouts: this and young's double chocolate (which i didn't really like since it was one of the first beers i had ever had besides BMC)...i think if i went back to young's, i'd like it a lot more now. either way, not the biggest fan of stouts, but this one is pretty delicious.

EDIT: decided to pull out a dark chocolate fudge brownie to pair with it. holy crap...so freaking delicious. the bitterness of the beer begs for a bite of the sweet brownie, which then necessitates a sip of the brew. match made in heaven.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

This is it. This is The Chocolate Beer. I just had a session with Young's Double Choc, Terrapin WakeNBake, Meantime Coffee Porter, and this. This one was head and shoulders better. More chocolate flavor, more chocolate aroma, better roasted malt flavor as well. Hops in perfect balance, understated (especially for Rogue) but adequate. If a beer this robust can be a stand-by session beer then this is the one.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer appears black and pours a thick head that doesn't last long, but leaves lace on the glass. It smells like Count Chockula or nestle quick mix, chocolatey goodness. The tastes are cocoa, oats, tons of malts, a bit of hoppy bitterness, and more chocolate. It finishes with a nice roasty, cocoa flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth, thick, chewy, velvety, and tiny bubbles. My favorite chocolate stout so far, this beer is delicious, rich, and so smooth it can creep up on you.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

A- pure black body with a brown mocha color head. About 2 finger head.

S- chocolate, roasted malts, Cigar tobacco and i also get some hops. FANTASTIC smell

T- dark Chocolate, coffee, tobacco,roasted malts,hops on the back end that gives it a nice bitter finish. Best chocolate beer ive had to date.

M- Medium to full mouth-feel

D- I must say this beer is exceptional. Very good and its a good price for what it is. This beer is very drinkable and tasty. This beer would definitely go fantastic with a streak or have it on its own for dessert or better yet pair it with chocolate cake.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a nice black stout with a nice brown head.

This stout smells great. Cocoa, chocolate, roasted malts. I sat down to drink this, expecting to drink it alone. My wife (a wheat beer lover) smelled it decided to drink some with me. She never drinks stouts, but I guess that says a lot for the aroma of this beer.

The taste is very much like the nose. Great chocolate taste with roasted malts and a little coffee at the end.

I think the body is just right for a chocolate stout. Not too thin but not too rich with just enough carbonation.

The chocolate is more of a dark chocolate and not too sweet. I found that this added to the drinkability. I could have finished another bottle if I had another on hand.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Poured from a bomber into a delirium glass, figured I would take this one slow seeing as it's a stout.... Think black color, nearly opaque, with slight head.

S - Holy chocolate! A little but of hops and malt as well, but I guess I should expect the chocolate, right?

T - And again, holy chocolate! I don't think I have ever had a beer this chocolaty, but wow, is it good! Thick, smooth, and a little sweet. Very unlike most stouts in the sweetness upfront, very little hops and malt that I can detect.

M - High amount of carbonation for a stout, and incredibly smooth.

O - Wow! I am very impressed with this beer. Everything about it is excellent. I can see how any hop-head would find this disappointing due it's it's slight break from the style (less hoppy, less boozy), but can't wait to drink another bottle. I usually have trouble finishing a bomber of stout by myself, but i have no issues with this one.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

S - chocolates, right away you smell it. None of the hoppy or alcohol aroma.
A - black, two fingers tan head that slowly disappears and with minimal lacing.
T - hoppy flavor right away with chocolates, and oats, Like bitter chocolates
M - medium bodied, not as creamy as I hoped for although it is smooth. Bitterness lingers from start to finish.
D - i like this beer because of the chocolates, but I still love my imperial stouts.

3.98/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass

A. dark black. pours a finger of coffee-tinted head. creamy lacing.

S. milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. undertones of vanilla.

T. bitter chocolate. roasted malts. notable hop presence.

M. Medium body. The roasted malts fill it out. well carbonated. smooth finish.

O. powerful stout. the chocolate is overwhelming in a good way. pretty low abv for a stout with this much flavor, but that's okay. sweet and roasty. would have again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

Wow what a great lookin beer, black as the night with a chocolate colored head. Lots of lacing and the head stays for a while (shared with my friend, his pour's head was a lot less though and left quicker)

smells like a dark chocolate and hops. Very sweet and appealing.
It taste's amazing. Very balanced with mostly dark chocolate and coffee notes. There's also a slight bitterness and alcohol in the finish (but it compliments it very well).

mouthfeel is nice but not as thick as I thought it might be considering it's a very dark stout.
I couldn't drink too much of this mostly considering the price. However, if it was free i'd drink it all day long.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber last night at the end of a very long day. And what a night cap it was. The stout poured very thick with about one finger's worth of head and an aroma that was ever so soothing to my sniffer.
The chocolate flavor in this brew was excellent! I enjoyed every sip of it as the night continued to wind down.
If anyone enjoys a good smooth cigar with a great beer, Rogue's Chocolate Stout might just be the perfect pair.
I will most definitely enjoy this beer again and again.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a couple bombers....poured into a pint glass..

A=was great, huge milk chocolate looking head deep brown almost black color.

S=smelled of roasted malts and dark chocolate.

T=Roasted hops almost burnt flavor up front, fallowed by a nice dark chocolate that really sets this beer apart! loved it.

M-mouth feel was great I cant stop drinking this. roasted malts and chocolate flavor are great.

D=A+ on drinkability, I absolutely love it easy going down, not filling, looks heavy and surprisingly is not, taste wonderful, excellent beer all around!

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Have to admit...I REALLY like this one. Everything about it screams Rogue. They are a top notch brewery that puts out top notch stuff. This one is the epitome of choc stouts. Dark...basically totally opaque. Sweet chocolaty goodness whafting during pour and drinking. Taste..sweeet and smooth. Minor in thickness-lacking but thicker than 75% of others in the stout category. Almost too drinkable...and at the price, I had to cut myself off. Great beer!...GO GET ONE. NOW!

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Pours as black as night with a towering tan head. It also left a good amount of tan lacing.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and some roasted malts. Mostly chocolate though.

T- Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. There is some oats at first, but it's predominately chocolate. I also picked up a nice kick of hops at the end that balanced it out nicely.

M- It's a pretty medium bodied beer. I've had heavier stouts before, which I prefer, but this had a nice mouthfeel. I thought it was a little thin at the end, but nothing to complain about.

D- I had this beer for dessert, and I recommend it for that. It would pair nicely with a very dark chocolate, which I really wish I had on hand. It's an easy drinking beer and the ABV isn't too strong at 6%. I very much enjoyed it.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Fairly aggressive pour.

First impression, great dark color. Huge head - maybe half the glass.. Had to let sit for a few minutes to even begin to sip it.

Scent was definitely sweet chocolate. First taste was a slightly dry, nicely roasted flavor. Chocolate was very prevalent.

Very coating in the mouth. Subtle if you're just looking for chocolate. More complex if you really try to taste it. Hints of coffee/espresso. Nice long finish with a mild spice at the end. almost an aftertaste of coconut for just a moment before the finish kicks in. A little bit of a dry beer.

Biggest sell was the scent. Flavor held up to it, though. A little think in the mouth.

I could definitely imagine this with a thick fudge brownie or some vanilla ice cream.

I'll definitely drink this one again in the future.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Served in pint glass.

Pours pitch black, with a thick, creamy mocha head. Retention is excellent with very thick lacing.

Hints of rich, smooth dark chocolate are immediately discernible, followed by hints of carob and raw cacao.

Roasty, smoky dark chocolate flavors are most prominent. A sweet, powdery cocoa-like flavor backs up the darker chocolate. Subtle notes of coffee and fig are also present. Smooth, slightly dry, clean finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and very smooth, with mild carbonation. Delicious on the palate. A heartier presence was expected.

Very delicious. I imagine, with chocolate cheesecake or chocolate brulee, it would make for a most decadent dessert.

3.56/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottled into Victorian pint glass. No freshness date.

A: Black with a thick mocha-colored head that doesn't budge for a while. Sturdy foam lacing plants itself to the side of the glass. I'm looking forward to this.

S: Milk chocolate & dark chocolate. First whiff does not smell like beer at all. I'm expecting to taste a milkshake. A cafe au lait aroma becomes evident as it warms.

T: A taste that develops itself for quite some time. Chocolate flavoring is obvious upfront, along with a roasted malt character. An initial touch of oats is present as well. The milk chocolate flavor turns to dark chocolate as it lingers on the taste buds. The hops slowly reveal themselves in the aftertaste with a faint tingling which grows to become a little more bitter than I would have expected. There's a bit of chalkiness, like powdered chocolate in the end, too. It's bitter-sweet, to be sure, but a little to much of each for my tastes.

M: Relatively thin mouthfeel for a stout, but a good amount of carbonation.

D: The addition of natural chocolate flavorings is a nice touch, but feels unnecessary. I do have a sweet tooth, but I can't imagine pairing this with a dessert (like the bottle suggests)... that would just be sweetness overload. This a beer best enjoyed by itself. I would actually be happy splitting the bomber with someone else. However, those that like very bold, assertive beers will be pleased.

Not my favorite stout, or Rogue beer for that matter, but I have deep respect for Rogue for always taking risks and being creative with their brews.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a 2008 KU National Championship pint glass :)

A: The epitome of how a stout should look! It pours a jet black body with a 2+ finger head. The head is tan in color and it appears dense enough to walk on.

S: Chocolate is predominant in the nose with a hint of roasted coffee. Really looking forward to this stout!

T: As expected, Chocolate is the dominating force here. I must admit, I was expecting a sweeter chocolate than what was offered. The chocolate has a distinct bitterness to it that works very well. The more you drink this stout, the more the bitterness turns to a semi-sweet chocolate. This is most likely a product of your palate adjusting to the bitterness. The finish is dry and lingering.

M: Minimal carbonation in this medium bodied stout. I fear the low carbonation is from sitting on a shelf too long, so I will definitely needs a 2nd offering from another store to confirm.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout! The initial bitterness fades away as you drink and semi-sweet chocolate is a wonderful parting gift. A very enjoyable stout indeed!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Theres not much to say about this beer except DELICIOUS!
Chocolaty goodness in every part of this beer. Great smell, easy to drink, and quite a treat for dessert.
I shared this with a friend, but next time I think I'll get a bottle just for myself!

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saw this on tap at a local restaurant, and had never tried it. Sampled it beforehand so I didn't have to commit fully, but I am certainly glad I did. Came out almost black, with a tan 2 finger head. As soon as I picked up the pint glass I smelled the chocolate--very sweet smelling. After tasting, however, i was pleasantly surprised at the taste--more of a bittersweet chocolate. I only had one, as it was a quick meal, but it certainly could have been more--the alcohol was barely noticeable, and it was not nearly as heavy as other stouts. Next time, I'll try to pair it more appropriately with food (pizza was an odd choice), but I am guessing that will not be too far in the future.

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Nice dark color with good one finger head that is nice tan color. It fades a little, but remains throughout the sipping which is very pleasant.

S: The chocolate is the first thing you smell and it may be a little overpowering by covering up the hop aroma , but overall is very good.

T: Very Chocolaty which is nice at first, but as I continue to drink can make the beer a little to sweet, but i still truly enjoy it.

D: This beer is very drinkable nice and smooth and goes down with ease.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

One of my favorite stouts! Creamy caremelly head. Smell of chocolate and dark roasted malts. Great feel on the pallet with just enough carbonation to give it a little kick and ehance the chocolatey dark roasted malty flavor. Little hint of a caramelized malt stickiness to the taste as well. Man what a great brew !

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Look - jet black in the glass. Beautiful 3 finger tanned head.

Smell - bakers chocolate on the nose. Smells absolutely amazing.

Taste - Follows the smell. Not too sweet like a lot of chocolate stouts. It's real chocolate, not the sugary synthetic stuff. The hops are there on the back end. Nice bitter finish. This is still a beer drinkers beer. It doesn't lose any integrity with the chocolate. Might be the best non imperial chocolate stout.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Beatiful head and dark black color. Smells extremely hippy for a stout. Taste matches the smell. The chocolate character is a bit overwhelmed by the happiness and makes it hard to distinguish. Mouthfeel is fitting for the taste, perfectly smooth. This one is just too hippy and light for what I'm looking for when I want a chocolate stout. Still a good beer and I will buy it again if I am looking for a stout with bold hop flavor. I would be interested to see what it would taste like aged.

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very decent chocolate stout. The chocolate is hidden, but shows up with a dark chocolate aftertaste. That was enjoyable. The rest underwhelmed me. I am surprised that this is getting 96-99 ratings. Pales in comparison to Sam Smith's Chocolate Stout. Overall a good beer.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales