Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,966 | Reviews: 1,891
3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Chocolatey, dry and chalky. Some hints of complexity, but never really opened up to reveal more than the mocha/chocolate notes. Bitter on the finish, but clean. Very nice with something sweet. I would not describe the taste as thin, but certainly one-dimensional. It may be decent for what it is, but I do not feel the need to return.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pour/Appearance: A black pour without much change in light; velvety tan, 1 finger, head that dissipates slowly with moderate glass lacing.

Smell: Strong smell of milky chocolate pretty much overpowers any other notes. I initially perceived some cherries, but think it was the chocolate malt.

Mouthfeel: A creamy and smooth stout that isn't too heavy, yet retains a full-bodied character.

Taste: The chocolate flavor is evident, and it is balanced with a bitter finish from the hops and subtle spicy notes in-between.

Overall: This is an excellent stout overall. It's a bit too bitter of a finish for my liking, but still quite drinkable nonetheless.

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hate to defend from the brothers. I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel thin chocolate faint and bitterness dominates finish. I love everything Oregon but this not up to snuff

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Not as good as Young's but I would buy again. Chocolate is less pronounced

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark black, with a tan two finger head that didn't stick around very long. Good color for the style. Smells of sweet chocolates with hints of vanilla and caramel. Very Very sweet smell. This smells really good cold, I will have to let this warm up a bit and then smell it too. I would have to rate this as one the best smelling ,for the style, that I have ever smelled. Doesn't seem to taste as sweet as I would have expected. Has a nice dark, very bitter chocolate fell through most of the drink, finishes with a burnt toast or kind of an oatmeal stout character, with just a hint of vanilla. This is a very full brew with minimal carbonation, perfect for the style. I may just add this to my regular drinking list. I should also note that if beers were rated on smellability this would rate a 5. I could smell this brew all day long.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Extremely dark brown, only a hint of light at extreme edges. A dense, tightly packed, caramel colored head that settles to a nice sheet, and leaves a sticky lace all the way down.

S - Toasted malts, mollases, toffee, and obviously rich dark chocolate. It's a wonderfully inviting aroma.

T - More roasted malts, unsweetened dark chocolate, a hint of hop spiciness, and some dark fruit.

M - A creamy, medium-thick body that goes down with ease. A surpisingly clean and dry finish given the chocolate content. A fairly low level of carbonation brings just the right amount of bite.

D - Well, I drained the bomber in short time. I thought the chocolate content would slow me down, but not so. I'm not quite gonna call it sessionable, but it was a joy to drink. I will definately do this one again.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

This received the most votes in a thread about chocolate stout in another online forum, so I had to pick this up as soon as I discovered my local super market actually carried this.
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass listening to Cattle Decapitation's "The Harvest Floor".
This beer is motor oil black, and completely opaque. The pour created a pillowy light-brown head about 2 inches thick that did not disappear until I was halfway down the glass. There was a adequate amount of very sticky lacing as well. Also, on the pour path in my bottle and in the bottom of my glass, there actually was powdery chocolate residue left over.
The smell was very robust of cocoa or dark chocolate. Very inviting! This was backed in larger whiffs by a slight "steely" scent of hops & hint of alcohol.
The flavor started off kinda malty sweet (which surprised me for being a Stout and all), and blended right into a pure dark chocolate taste that snow-balled in momentum towards the finish, and peaked in a moderately-lengthy aftertaste. There was also flavors of tangy hops (this was especially present in burps that served as pleasant interruptions to all that chocolate).
It was medium-bodied. And again, this surprisingly was not your typical dry-ass stout... the fact that is was just a bit malty lent some sticky properties to the mouth-feel, which I enjoyed. Low-carbonation levels too, this kicked ass.
I highly recommend this beer to anyone who loves really dark chocolate. I am not one of said people though, so I personally will not be purchasing this again, but this beer definitely hits what it aims for.

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Lots of technical brewing info
printed onto the painted label bottle, but no ABV.

A- Pitch black, semi-sweet chocolate color. No light gets through this one. 1/2" light brown
head, dissipating into a fine layered cap. Carbonation level undetectable due to the dark color.

S- Chocolate and more chocolate nose. Maybe a hint of roasted grain. No, wait, that's more chocolate. A bit of marshmallow cream in there too.

T- Roasted grain bitterness up front, washed away by sweet creamy chocolate, dark chocolate, and other exotic chocolate flavors, along with a touch of mocha/coffee on the back. Familiar Rogue PacMan yeast there too.

M- Creamy smooth to start, with grain and a little hop bitterness, passing into a coffee-like
tang.

O- Not one of my favorite styles, but a great representation of it. Exactly what the label declares, Chocolate Stout. Good balance, creamy mouthfeel, plenty of chocolate. Well done beer by Rogue.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Rogue Chocolate kicked off my evening of beers and I was definitely pleased with my choice (as I usually am with Rogue)

Poured a nice deeeppp blackish brown with a minimal mocha colored head.

definitely gave off an aroma of cocoa, nutty, coffee notes, Not overly malty.

Definitely gives a nice hint of chocolate flavor also a little bit of a mocha coffee taste, slight bit of malts on the back end that quickly dissipates.

Nice and smooth mouthfeel. Not overly thick and syrupy very drinkable stout.

Definitely will pick this one up again

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 22oz into a Rogue pint glass!

This beer is made with Harrington, Klages, Cascades and Crystal hops. Imported chocolate and rolled oats creates a beyond wonderful flavor. Ebony on color with a rich creamy head. An earthy flavor of oats and hops that gives way to a rich chocolate truffle-ish finish. The flavor changes with the temperature to develop from more chocolate to more malts. Yum! This is a go-to beer.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A- pours a dark almost opaque black with a nice thick tan head

S- WOW i love the smell of this beer. The chocolate is super evident. Dark and milk chocolate smell with a sweet sugar cane almost maple smell along with a nice vanilla hint.

T- Follows the nose, this beer has a lot of chocolate flavor. With a nice hops bitter finish which gives this beer a higher IBU.

M- My only complaint about this beer. It has a medium body feeling with a lot of carbonation. I would like there to be more thickness and velvet texture. Keep in mind this is just my thought on it.

O- I really like this beer. It is a light stout that can be enjoyed any day. This beer really has both sides of the equation. It has the nice robust chocolate taste upfront followed by a bitter hoppy aftertaste which makes this beer very well-rounded and enjoyable to most beer drinkers.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

ONE of the Best!! Anything by Rouge is quality, This is a once a week standard. :::))) :::)))>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Excited for this one, Rogue is great and this beer comes highly recommended.

A gentle pour into my 2012 KATE THE GREAT SNIFTER gave a one finger dark hkaki head. Faded to a nice coating of tan bubbles on top of a black beer.

Smell is a hint of dark chocolate, some floral hops too. Very nice, a bit sharper than I expected. But nice.

Taste immediately hits you with VERY dark chocolate accentuated by a slight burst of hops. Fades into a creamy, milky chocolate. There is NO DOUBT that this is a chocolate stout. I'm currently drinking this one a bit too cold...

After letting this thing warm in the glass for 15 minutes, it's slightly creamier with a milkier chocolate finish. Goes down easy.

Moutfeel is slightly lighter than ideal. If this was thicker, I'd be in love. Still, for a 6% ABV beer this is what it is: easy to drink and quite choco-riffic.

This was a good beer. It's not the best thing I've ever had, but I'd be happy to drink this again.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Look: Brownish-Black

Smell: Cocoa, Chocolatey Goodness

Taste: Oh oh it's magicccc. The best part about this beer is it offers a rich satisfying chocolatey flavor without being overwhelmingly sweet. This beer is brewed with oats, chocolate roasted malts, and real chocolate- so there's no tacky artificial flavors here. Everything comes together perfectly and makes this beer enjoyable all the way through.

Overall: Personally, this was a filling beer for me. I would recommend it with dessert or as a night cap. Best served a little warmer than most beers- 50-55 degrees F would be ideal. You will not be disappointed.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours pitch black, no light getting through whatsoever . BIG chocolate and roasted smell. Taste is drier than the smell led me to believe, but that is nice since this is so rich. Mouthfeel is heavy as $^!@, super thick like a shake. Thick, dense, creaming head that sticks around forever and coats the entire glass as you drink. This is a great chocolate stout, around the same enjoyment as Samuel Smith's for me.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

On-tap in a pint glass

A: Dark Brown black with a creamy coffee colored 2 finger head with great retention.

S: Deep chocolate and coffee malt. A bit of hop is noticeable as well in the background.

T: Low on the hop and high on bittersweet chocolate! Also the coffee taste is much more evident on tap than in the bottle, which surprised me. DO not expect a sweet chocolate with this! In fact, the first time I had this we ate 70% cocoa chocolates along with it and MAN did it really bring that flavor out in the beer… simply amazing!

M: Chewy with low carbonation, but it isn’t too too heavy.

D: A personal favorite I could drink this every day if it wouldn’t make me gain 5 billion pounds!

Cheers to Rogue! This is a fabulous beer on-tap and out of the bottle... I have had both, but this review is for the tap. I'll get around to writing a bottle review when I drink it next time ;) I can’t wait to try a black and tan made with Rogue Choc Stout and Rogue Juniper Pale Ale. I think it would be fab!

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

I love Rogue beers--to me, many of them straddle the fine line between experimentation and execution. This beer is very well executed.

On the heels of tasting many imperial-styled stouts, this bomber reminded me that stouts can be very rewarding--even when they don't blow you away with 12% alcohol.

You can't aggressively pour this beer into a pint glass. It leaves a huge head that doesn't settle. I learned that quickly. But the smell was clean, even minerally.

It gets to be a bit watery as the bomber empties, but the mouthfeel and taste are fantastic. It has a chocolate taste that hides during the swallow and doesn't peek out until a few seconds afterwards. It also leaves a very smooth aftertaste--something I hadn't tasted for a while in a stout. (my one beer with imperial stouts is their bitter, dry aftertaste)

Congrats, Rogue. You keep impressing me.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 22oz into a pint glass.

There's no way around it: Rogue Chocolate Stout is chocolate in a glass. It looks like really thick chocolate syrup poured into a glass with some light carbonation addd. It smells of roasted malts and chocolate. It tastes like a stout and a porter had a baby. It's creamy, but has some decent carbonation. The tast is very rich and malty, and at first you don't get the chocolate. But then that chocolate backbone hits you and immediately you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The taste lingers too, so you enjoy it even more as time goes on.

This is a heavy beer, but the flavor is so pleasing that it's very easy to drink. You really forget that you're drinking beer. After all 22oz are done you feel warmed and relaxed, like having a mug of cocoa, only this is beer, so you're sort of drunk. Easily one of my top stouts.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Great go to chocolate stout. the new rebel hop really gives it a bitter finish that isn't quite as subtle as the discontinued 9 ingredient cascade hop version. I think the ibu on this new version is underrated but this stout is great being as it's not an imperial/double stout it has a slightly thin mouthful and a modest 6%abv but it makes up with chocolaty goodness from beginning to end.. I recommend this beer and I believe it shines as it warms as do most stouts I recommend a slight chill our pull it out of the fridge and let it sit and warm a bit I enjoy it from a balloon so it warms in my hand.. the slight complexity that is there can be easily missed if it's to cold and it will really mask the bitter chocolate taste...

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Smells faintly of chocolate, and pours a very dark brown with milky brownish head. Initial taste is a bit harsh, complex combination of quite bitter chocolate and hops. Following the beer is a great mouthfeel, something like chocolate cake. Perfect drink for after dinner with a desert, or as a desert.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Acquired a single from my local liquor store, Big C's. Poured into a tall weizen glass the color is dark black/brown with a finger of bubbly tan head. The smell hints towards the beers flavour, with a presence of roasty malt and chocolate. The taste is excellent, with a development of character through slightly more bitter cocoa to a gently sweet chocolate. Malt backbone melds well with the chocolate, and counteracts the bitter flavour. Rich and filling, with a nice rolling carbonation the mouth feel like the taste is excellent. I Would not want to drink too many of these in one sitting, although it is not particularly undrinkable.

Overall another high quality beer from a great brewery, and an excellent example of one of my favourite styles.

Cheers - Matt

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Whoa that's a lot of chocolate! Nice, smooth, and flavorful, makes a nice sipping beer.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rogue’s “Chocolate Stout” fondly brings back memories of the Winter Stout Tasting event that Nicholas Publicover and I attended a month ago, where he was entranced and firmly suggested that this was the beer of the night. According to him, despite other offerings that night having a higher ABV or different additives, the simplicity and drinkability of this beer put it over the top. An award winning beer and one of the flagship brews from Rogue, I was exceptionally excited to get my hand on another full 22oz bottle of this and put my feet up in front of a fire. Was it as good as I remembered?

Appearance – 94: The stout poured with a thicker head than I remembered (likely in part to all of those high ABV selections we drank last time that I referred to previously!), roughly a half inch thick with caramel/mocha colored bubbles that clung to the edge of the bottle. The color is pitch black and allows no light to penetrate it at all. Slight lacing was evident as well.

Aroma – 94: As one might imagine, the smell of the beer mimics the ingredients used – malts and chocolate. An earthen tone also hints at the roasted barley and rolled oats element, which became more prevalent once the beer hit my tongue.

Body & Texture – 93: As the beer is made with high quality imported chocolate, the first taste (as I’m sure you’d imagine) is of dark chocolate with a hint of milky-vanilla. After a moment a roasted coffee sensation kicks in, before departing to the earthen elements that I suggested earlier. A surprisingly complex amount of flavors given the limited ingredients. Slight carbonation also plays on the palate, which is fun!

Taste – 95: If the Nestle Quick bunny decided to make an alcoholic beverage, this would be it. Everything promised in the description delivers, and then some. Chocolate taste? Prevalent, strong, but not overpowering. Stout element? Certainly. Malted and roasted notes, with tremendous flavor in a great combination. Couldn’t have been more impressed with this selection.

Overall – 94.3 (Excellent): Tasting this beer again after a brief hiatus reminded me of what I was missing, similar to a short breakup with a girlfriend. Holy smokes, what a fantastic beer! If you remotely enjoy chocolate OR stouts (and especially both), you owe it to yourself to sample this beverage. Extremely easy to drink, delicious, and delivering on every level, there is no doubt that several bottles of this will find it to my basement to age. Incredible!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

I was very excited to try this beer but over all not impressed.

It poured a very dark,dark brown with hints of amber towards the head. The head was thick and creamy but diminished quickly.

The smell was awesome. It was so chocolatey and rich with hints of roasted coffee and toffee.

The taste was a dissapointment. It was not very flavorfull at all. It lacked everything that smell made me believe it would taste like.

The mouthfeel was a little gritty, not very smooth. Maybe I was just upset because the taste was a bit boring and it brought the mouthfeel down as well? I can't really say I'm dying to try this again.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Magnificent. Simply fantastic. Pours a nice dark chocolate brownish-black with a small, dark tan head. The nose hints at the forthcoming chocolate. The taste is tremendous. If you like chocolate, Southern Tier's Imperial Choklat is the only thing I've had in the neighborhood. In terms of mouthfeel, it was pleasantly bubbly without turning into champagne. As for drinkability, I had to fight off friends to whom I offered a taste. I will buy this each time I see it.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales