Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,874 | Hads: 3,978
4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A- pours a dark almost opaque black with a nice thick tan head

S- WOW i love the smell of this beer. The chocolate is super evident. Dark and milk chocolate smell with a sweet sugar cane almost maple smell along with a nice vanilla hint.

T- Follows the nose, this beer has a lot of chocolate flavor. With a nice hops bitter finish which gives this beer a higher IBU.

M- My only complaint about this beer. It has a medium body feeling with a lot of carbonation. I would like there to be more thickness and velvet texture. Keep in mind this is just my thought on it.

O- I really like this beer. It is a light stout that can be enjoyed any day. This beer really has both sides of the equation. It has the nice robust chocolate taste upfront followed by a bitter hoppy aftertaste which makes this beer very well-rounded and enjoyable to most beer drinkers. (858 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

ONE of the Best!! Anything by Rouge is quality, This is a once a week standard. :::))) :::)))>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (377 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Excited for this one, Rogue is great and this beer comes highly recommended.

A gentle pour into my 2012 KATE THE GREAT SNIFTER gave a one finger dark hkaki head. Faded to a nice coating of tan bubbles on top of a black beer.

Smell is a hint of dark chocolate, some floral hops too. Very nice, a bit sharper than I expected. But nice.

Taste immediately hits you with VERY dark chocolate accentuated by a slight burst of hops. Fades into a creamy, milky chocolate. There is NO DOUBT that this is a chocolate stout. I'm currently drinking this one a bit too cold...

After letting this thing warm in the glass for 15 minutes, it's slightly creamier with a milkier chocolate finish. Goes down easy.

Moutfeel is slightly lighter than ideal. If this was thicker, I'd be in love. Still, for a 6% ABV beer this is what it is: easy to drink and quite choco-riffic.

This was a good beer. It's not the best thing I've ever had, but I'd be happy to drink this again. (959 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Look: Brownish-Black

Smell: Cocoa, Chocolatey Goodness

Taste: Oh oh it's magicccc. The best part about this beer is it offers a rich satisfying chocolatey flavor without being overwhelmingly sweet. This beer is brewed with oats, chocolate roasted malts, and real chocolate- so there's no tacky artificial flavors here. Everything comes together perfectly and makes this beer enjoyable all the way through.

Overall: Personally, this was a filling beer for me. I would recommend it with dessert or as a night cap. Best served a little warmer than most beers- 50-55 degrees F would be ideal. You will not be disappointed.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com (688 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

On-tap in a pint glass

A: Dark Brown black with a creamy coffee colored 2 finger head with great retention.

S: Deep chocolate and coffee malt. A bit of hop is noticeable as well in the background.

T: Low on the hop and high on bittersweet chocolate! Also the coffee taste is much more evident on tap than in the bottle, which surprised me. DO not expect a sweet chocolate with this! In fact, the first time I had this we ate 70% cocoa chocolates along with it and MAN did it really bring that flavor out in the beer… simply amazing!

M: Chewy with low carbonation, but it isn’t too too heavy.

D: A personal favorite I could drink this every day if it wouldn’t make me gain 5 billion pounds!

Cheers to Rogue! This is a fabulous beer on-tap and out of the bottle... I have had both, but this review is for the tap. I'll get around to writing a bottle review when I drink it next time ;) I can’t wait to try a black and tan made with Rogue Choc Stout and Rogue Juniper Pale Ale. I think it would be fab! (1,021 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

I love Rogue beers--to me, many of them straddle the fine line between experimentation and execution. This beer is very well executed.

On the heels of tasting many imperial-styled stouts, this bomber reminded me that stouts can be very rewarding--even when they don't blow you away with 12% alcohol.

You can't aggressively pour this beer into a pint glass. It leaves a huge head that doesn't settle. I learned that quickly. But the smell was clean, even minerally.

It gets to be a bit watery as the bomber empties, but the mouthfeel and taste are fantastic. It has a chocolate taste that hides during the swallow and doesn't peek out until a few seconds afterwards. It also leaves a very smooth aftertaste--something I hadn't tasted for a while in a stout. (my one beer with imperial stouts is their bitter, dry aftertaste)

Congrats, Rogue. You keep impressing me. (870 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 22oz into a pint glass.

There's no way around it: Rogue Chocolate Stout is chocolate in a glass. It looks like really thick chocolate syrup poured into a glass with some light carbonation addd. It smells of roasted malts and chocolate. It tastes like a stout and a porter had a baby. It's creamy, but has some decent carbonation. The tast is very rich and malty, and at first you don't get the chocolate. But then that chocolate backbone hits you and immediately you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The taste lingers too, so you enjoy it even more as time goes on.

This is a heavy beer, but the flavor is so pleasing that it's very easy to drink. You really forget that you're drinking beer. After all 22oz are done you feel warmed and relaxed, like having a mug of cocoa, only this is beer, so you're sort of drunk. Easily one of my top stouts. (861 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Smells faintly of chocolate, and pours a very dark brown with milky brownish head. Initial taste is a bit harsh, complex combination of quite bitter chocolate and hops. Following the beer is a great mouthfeel, something like chocolate cake. Perfect drink for after dinner with a desert, or as a desert. (302 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Acquired a single from my local liquor store, Big C's. Poured into a tall weizen glass the color is dark black/brown with a finger of bubbly tan head. The smell hints towards the beers flavour, with a presence of roasty malt and chocolate. The taste is excellent, with a development of character through slightly more bitter cocoa to a gently sweet chocolate. Malt backbone melds well with the chocolate, and counteracts the bitter flavour. Rich and filling, with a nice rolling carbonation the mouth feel like the taste is excellent. I Would not want to drink too many of these in one sitting, although it is not particularly undrinkable.

Overall another high quality beer from a great brewery, and an excellent example of one of my favourite styles.

Cheers - Matt (769 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rogue’s “Chocolate Stout” fondly brings back memories of the Winter Stout Tasting event that Nicholas Publicover and I attended a month ago, where he was entranced and firmly suggested that this was the beer of the night. According to him, despite other offerings that night having a higher ABV or different additives, the simplicity and drinkability of this beer put it over the top. An award winning beer and one of the flagship brews from Rogue, I was exceptionally excited to get my hand on another full 22oz bottle of this and put my feet up in front of a fire. Was it as good as I remembered?

Appearance – 94: The stout poured with a thicker head than I remembered (likely in part to all of those high ABV selections we drank last time that I referred to previously!), roughly a half inch thick with caramel/mocha colored bubbles that clung to the edge of the bottle. The color is pitch black and allows no light to penetrate it at all. Slight lacing was evident as well.

Aroma – 94: As one might imagine, the smell of the beer mimics the ingredients used – malts and chocolate. An earthen tone also hints at the roasted barley and rolled oats element, which became more prevalent once the beer hit my tongue.

Body & Texture – 93: As the beer is made with high quality imported chocolate, the first taste (as I’m sure you’d imagine) is of dark chocolate with a hint of milky-vanilla. After a moment a roasted coffee sensation kicks in, before departing to the earthen elements that I suggested earlier. A surprisingly complex amount of flavors given the limited ingredients. Slight carbonation also plays on the palate, which is fun!

Taste – 95: If the Nestle Quick bunny decided to make an alcoholic beverage, this would be it. Everything promised in the description delivers, and then some. Chocolate taste? Prevalent, strong, but not overpowering. Stout element? Certainly. Malted and roasted notes, with tremendous flavor in a great combination. Couldn’t have been more impressed with this selection.

Overall – 94.3 (Excellent): Tasting this beer again after a brief hiatus reminded me of what I was missing, similar to a short breakup with a girlfriend. Holy smokes, what a fantastic beer! If you remotely enjoy chocolate OR stouts (and especially both), you owe it to yourself to sample this beverage. Extremely easy to drink, delicious, and delivering on every level, there is no doubt that several bottles of this will find it to my basement to age. Incredible! (2,504 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

I was very excited to try this beer but over all not impressed.

It poured a very dark,dark brown with hints of amber towards the head. The head was thick and creamy but diminished quickly.

The smell was awesome. It was so chocolatey and rich with hints of roasted coffee and toffee.

The taste was a dissapointment. It was not very flavorfull at all. It lacked everything that smell made me believe it would taste like.

The mouthfeel was a little gritty, not very smooth. Maybe I was just upset because the taste was a bit boring and it brought the mouthfeel down as well? I can't really say I'm dying to try this again. (631 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Magnificent. Simply fantastic. Pours a nice dark chocolate brownish-black with a small, dark tan head. The nose hints at the forthcoming chocolate. The taste is tremendous. If you like chocolate, Southern Tier's Imperial Choklat is the only thing I've had in the neighborhood. In terms of mouthfeel, it was pleasantly bubbly without turning into champagne. As for drinkability, I had to fight off friends to whom I offered a taste. I will buy this each time I see it. (467 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brownish to black color with thick chocolate moose looking head. slowly disapates and leaves slight lacing.

S: smells more coffee like than chocolate to me with a faint alcohol sent to it.

T: tastes of coffee and chocolate but has a weird finish or after taste, almost an alcohol burn.

M: smooth and rich mouth feel but leaves mouth with a dry alcohol feel.

D: has the delicious chocolatey taste but leaves an alcohol taste in my mouth. not the finest Rogue i've had. (479 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

An extremely good chocolate stout.

Lucky enough to find it on Nitro-tap at Elmer Sudd's in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I've had it out of the 22oz bottle as well. Pours midnight black with a good-sized tannish head. Smells like pure milk chocolate...unreal! Mouthfeel and taste are exactly how the good Lord envisioned...very noticeable coffee and milk chocolate overtones.

I am a big fan of Rogue and this is unquestionably one of their best offerings...Definitely worth a try! (471 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Bomber bottle, poured into Tripel Karmeleit chalice.

Opaque, very dark brown, nearly black, with several fingers of fluffy deep tan / light brown head.

Nose overwhelmingly chocolate and cocoa with a bit of a mineral quality (rich chocolate ovaltine, anyone?) and a bit of vanilla.

Mouthfeel is luxuriously soft and fluffy.

Tastes strongly of milk chocolate, with hints of milk caramels and a bit of a carbon/charred finish.

Overall, a wonderful chocolate dessert stout, very drinkable for such a rich beer. (511 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well after seeing how good this beer was rated I decided to stop in and grab a 22oz bomber after work and was really excited to try this. Poured into class and really did notice the great chocolate smell that others commented on. Also a good dark stout. Decent size head that lasted to the end. While I did think the smell was wonderful I was left wanting in taste.

I really think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a far better choice. If you think this is a good beer (which I did) you gotta give Young's a try. (514 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle poured into my Cigar City tulip

A: Solid jet black with a perfect head

S: Whoa Cocoa Powder!

T: Heavy roasted malt flavors with serious cocoa powder finish.

M: Thick bodied. Very creamy and smooth as well.

D: The cocoa is so intense in this beer. Reminds me of drinking chocolate milk as a kid.

Overall I'm digging this although I don't think it's the best American Stout I've ever had. I would recommend and I would drink again. (448 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Rogue Ales - Chocolate Stout is an American Stout style made with Northwest Harrington and Klages, Crystral 135-165, Beeston Chocolate, rolled oats, and barley malts; Cascade hops; imported Dutch bitter-sweet chocolate adjuncts; Rogue's Pacman yeast, and "free-range coastal water" (as opposed to the domesticated variety I guess...). It is 15 degrees Plato (a measure of the dissolved solids in beer), 69 IBU, 77 AA (Apparent Attenuation), and 135 degrees Lovibond (a measure of color mostly replaced by the Standard Reference Method {SRM}).

Rogue - Chocolate Stout poured with an opaque, ebony color that revealed ruby notes when held to a light. It had a chocolate-brown, creamy, slightly sweet head with a deep, semi-sweet to bitter-sweet chocolate nose. It had a crisp feeling on the tongue and the back of the throat that accompanied a crisp flavor of bitter-sweet chocolate and left a bitter / residual alcohol finish.

This was a good beer but not exactly what I was expecting. By no means a statement about the quality of this beer of course, just that my taste leans more toward a sweeter and chocolaty flavor in this style. Remember, taste is highly subjective!

I wish you Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
The Cap'n
uscaptainsblog.blogspot.com (1,269 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5%

A) Heavy and dark poured into a pint glass, one finger head with staying power

S) Rich roasted malt aroma with dark chocolate which is very evident. macadamia nut, and cocoa

T) Dark dark chocolate upfront which combines extremely well with the roasted malt Well-balanced with a slight taste of hops.

M) Smooth with a nice sweetness that hangs on the palate. The bitter chocolate taste develops quite well.

O) A very good stout with chocolate profiles that don't overwhelm the overall character of the beer. Will definitely be picking this one up again. (556 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me! (326 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Probably one of my all time favorite stouts.
A: Poured a dark brown/black with a half inch of mocha colored head.
S: Really nice. Chocolate, oats, dark roasted malts, a little bit of hoppiness.
T: Chocolate, lots of chocolate, bittersweet malt, and some hoppy flavor from the cascades. (kind of reminded me of a toned down IPA.)
M: Feels good. Nice carbonation and a smooth creamy feeling to it.
D: One would be plenty, but I could go for another. (453 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer is black in color with a dark tan head. The initial aroma is roast, giving way to a subtle chocolate aroma. The roast dominates the aroma. The flavor again is dominated with the roast. The hop aroma and flavor are subdued and hidden by the roast. I can barely perceive any chocolate flavor.

I prefer to have a balance of flavors in my beers. While a very good, and well crafted stout, I could barely perceive chocolate flavors and aromas. (450 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Best stout ive had to this day. When i saw this and it was called chocolate stout i thought sure no beer can taste like chocolate and be good. I was wrong. This beer pours like crude oil looks like dark chocolate and tastes like guess what? chocolate. and its wonderful. dont get me wrong you can tell the difference between this and a chocolate milk. You take your everyday coffee hinted stout give it rogue quality and add a bit more than a hint of chocolate and here we are. this stuff is way ahead of guinness in my book. doesnt have the slightest flat waterdown taste that you expect with an average stout. Very filling ive had a few 22s of the stuff and cant wait to get more. pace yourself and enjoy this one (715 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Very dark, not transluncent at all. Decent tan head that diminishes to leave nice lacing

S - Dark chocolate and perhaps slightly of oats

T - Dark chocolate, roasted malts, slight oatmeal, finishes a little bitter

M - Slight carbonation but very smooth, medium body that finishes a little watery

D - Average, this stout has a very strong flavor of dark chocolate that although pleasant would likely weigh on me if I tried to drink more than 1 bomber. (456 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a shaker glass

Appearance and Smell - black body with a very slight hint of ruby around the bottom edge with a very tan to light brown head that is pretty pillowy and lasts a while. smell is very strong of chocolate with roasted malt in there.

Taste and Mouth - chocolate is easily the most dominate flavor here. it has a nice roasty bitter finish. i personally like my stouts on the thicker side and this is thin for what i expected. carbonation is good for a stout.

Drinkability - very good i go back sip after sip. this is defintely a good dessert beer.

Notes - over all i really like this beer. i wish there was more of a thick, oatmeal type mouthfeel but thats just my personal preference when it comes to stout. (747 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales