Join our email list →

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,892 | Hads: 4,083
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle poured into my Cigar City tulip

A: Solid jet black with a perfect head

S: Whoa Cocoa Powder!

T: Heavy roasted malt flavors with serious cocoa powder finish.

M: Thick bodied. Very creamy and smooth as well.

D: The cocoa is so intense in this beer. Reminds me of drinking chocolate milk as a kid.

Overall I'm digging this although I don't think it's the best American Stout I've ever had. I would recommend and I would drink again.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rogue’s “Chocolate Stout” fondly brings back memories of the Winter Stout Tasting event that Nicholas Publicover and I attended a month ago, where he was entranced and firmly suggested that this was the beer of the night. According to him, despite other offerings that night having a higher ABV or different additives, the simplicity and drinkability of this beer put it over the top. An award winning beer and one of the flagship brews from Rogue, I was exceptionally excited to get my hand on another full 22oz bottle of this and put my feet up in front of a fire. Was it as good as I remembered?

Appearance – 94: The stout poured with a thicker head than I remembered (likely in part to all of those high ABV selections we drank last time that I referred to previously!), roughly a half inch thick with caramel/mocha colored bubbles that clung to the edge of the bottle. The color is pitch black and allows no light to penetrate it at all. Slight lacing was evident as well.

Aroma – 94: As one might imagine, the smell of the beer mimics the ingredients used – malts and chocolate. An earthen tone also hints at the roasted barley and rolled oats element, which became more prevalent once the beer hit my tongue.

Body & Texture – 93: As the beer is made with high quality imported chocolate, the first taste (as I’m sure you’d imagine) is of dark chocolate with a hint of milky-vanilla. After a moment a roasted coffee sensation kicks in, before departing to the earthen elements that I suggested earlier. A surprisingly complex amount of flavors given the limited ingredients. Slight carbonation also plays on the palate, which is fun!

Taste – 95: If the Nestle Quick bunny decided to make an alcoholic beverage, this would be it. Everything promised in the description delivers, and then some. Chocolate taste? Prevalent, strong, but not overpowering. Stout element? Certainly. Malted and roasted notes, with tremendous flavor in a great combination. Couldn’t have been more impressed with this selection.

Overall – 94.3 (Excellent): Tasting this beer again after a brief hiatus reminded me of what I was missing, similar to a short breakup with a girlfriend. Holy smokes, what a fantastic beer! If you remotely enjoy chocolate OR stouts (and especially both), you owe it to yourself to sample this beverage. Extremely easy to drink, delicious, and delivering on every level, there is no doubt that several bottles of this will find it to my basement to age. Incredible!

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

I was very excited to try this beer but over all not impressed.

It poured a very dark,dark brown with hints of amber towards the head. The head was thick and creamy but diminished quickly.

The smell was awesome. It was so chocolatey and rich with hints of roasted coffee and toffee.

The taste was a dissapointment. It was not very flavorfull at all. It lacked everything that smell made me believe it would taste like.

The mouthfeel was a little gritty, not very smooth. Maybe I was just upset because the taste was a bit boring and it brought the mouthfeel down as well? I can't really say I'm dying to try this again.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Magnificent. Simply fantastic. Pours a nice dark chocolate brownish-black with a small, dark tan head. The nose hints at the forthcoming chocolate. The taste is tremendous. If you like chocolate, Southern Tier's Imperial Choklat is the only thing I've had in the neighborhood. In terms of mouthfeel, it was pleasantly bubbly without turning into champagne. As for drinkability, I had to fight off friends to whom I offered a taste. I will buy this each time I see it.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brownish to black color with thick chocolate moose looking head. slowly disapates and leaves slight lacing.

S: smells more coffee like than chocolate to me with a faint alcohol sent to it.

T: tastes of coffee and chocolate but has a weird finish or after taste, almost an alcohol burn.

M: smooth and rich mouth feel but leaves mouth with a dry alcohol feel.

D: has the delicious chocolatey taste but leaves an alcohol taste in my mouth. not the finest Rogue i've had.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

An extremely good chocolate stout.

Lucky enough to find it on Nitro-tap at Elmer Sudd's in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I've had it out of the 22oz bottle as well. Pours midnight black with a good-sized tannish head. Smells like pure milk chocolate...unreal! Mouthfeel and taste are exactly how the good Lord envisioned...very noticeable coffee and milk chocolate overtones.

I am a big fan of Rogue and this is unquestionably one of their best offerings...Definitely worth a try!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Bomber bottle, poured into Tripel Karmeleit chalice.

Opaque, very dark brown, nearly black, with several fingers of fluffy deep tan / light brown head.

Nose overwhelmingly chocolate and cocoa with a bit of a mineral quality (rich chocolate ovaltine, anyone?) and a bit of vanilla.

Mouthfeel is luxuriously soft and fluffy.

Tastes strongly of milk chocolate, with hints of milk caramels and a bit of a carbon/charred finish.

Overall, a wonderful chocolate dessert stout, very drinkable for such a rich beer.

3.74/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well after seeing how good this beer was rated I decided to stop in and grab a 22oz bomber after work and was really excited to try this. Poured into class and really did notice the great chocolate smell that others commented on. Also a good dark stout. Decent size head that lasted to the end. While I did think the smell was wonderful I was left wanting in taste.

I really think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a far better choice. If you think this is a good beer (which I did) you gotta give Young's a try.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Rogue Ales - Chocolate Stout is an American Stout style made with Northwest Harrington and Klages, Crystral 135-165, Beeston Chocolate, rolled oats, and barley malts; Cascade hops; imported Dutch bitter-sweet chocolate adjuncts; Rogue's Pacman yeast, and "free-range coastal water" (as opposed to the domesticated variety I guess...). It is 15 degrees Plato (a measure of the dissolved solids in beer), 69 IBU, 77 AA (Apparent Attenuation), and 135 degrees Lovibond (a measure of color mostly replaced by the Standard Reference Method {SRM}).

Rogue - Chocolate Stout poured with an opaque, ebony color that revealed ruby notes when held to a light. It had a chocolate-brown, creamy, slightly sweet head with a deep, semi-sweet to bitter-sweet chocolate nose. It had a crisp feeling on the tongue and the back of the throat that accompanied a crisp flavor of bitter-sweet chocolate and left a bitter / residual alcohol finish.

This was a good beer but not exactly what I was expecting. By no means a statement about the quality of this beer of course, just that my taste leans more toward a sweeter and chocolaty flavor in this style. Remember, taste is highly subjective!

I wish you Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
The Cap'n
uscaptainsblog.blogspot.com

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

A) Heavy and dark poured into a pint glass, one finger head with staying power

S) Rich roasted malt aroma with dark chocolate which is very evident. macadamia nut, and cocoa

T) Dark dark chocolate upfront which combines extremely well with the roasted malt Well-balanced with a slight taste of hops.

M) Smooth with a nice sweetness that hangs on the palate. The bitter chocolate taste develops quite well.

O) A very good stout with chocolate profiles that don't overwhelm the overall character of the beer. Will definitely be picking this one up again.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me!

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a year plus old bottle.
Nice dark tan head.
Chocolate on the nose. Chocolate flavor and something that reminds me of raspberries. Got slightly bitter as it warmed up.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Probably one of my all time favorite stouts.
A: Poured a dark brown/black with a half inch of mocha colored head.
S: Really nice. Chocolate, oats, dark roasted malts, a little bit of hoppiness.
T: Chocolate, lots of chocolate, bittersweet malt, and some hoppy flavor from the cascades. (kind of reminded me of a toned down IPA.)
M: Feels good. Nice carbonation and a smooth creamy feeling to it.
D: One would be plenty, but I could go for another.

3.74/5  rDev -10.7%

This beer is black in color with a dark tan head. The initial aroma is roast, giving way to a subtle chocolate aroma. The roast dominates the aroma. The flavor again is dominated with the roast. The hop aroma and flavor are subdued and hidden by the roast. I can barely perceive any chocolate flavor.

I prefer to have a balance of flavors in my beers. While a very good, and well crafted stout, I could barely perceive chocolate flavors and aromas.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Best stout ive had to this day. When i saw this and it was called chocolate stout i thought sure no beer can taste like chocolate and be good. I was wrong. This beer pours like crude oil looks like dark chocolate and tastes like guess what? chocolate. and its wonderful. dont get me wrong you can tell the difference between this and a chocolate milk. You take your everyday coffee hinted stout give it rogue quality and add a bit more than a hint of chocolate and here we are. this stuff is way ahead of guinness in my book. doesnt have the slightest flat waterdown taste that you expect with an average stout. Very filling ive had a few 22s of the stuff and cant wait to get more. pace yourself and enjoy this one

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

A- Very dark, not transluncent at all. Decent tan head that diminishes to leave nice lacing

S - Dark chocolate and perhaps slightly of oats

T - Dark chocolate, roasted malts, slight oatmeal, finishes a little bitter

M - Slight carbonation but very smooth, medium body that finishes a little watery

D - Average, this stout has a very strong flavor of dark chocolate that although pleasant would likely weigh on me if I tried to drink more than 1 bomber.

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bottle poured into a shaker glass

Appearance and Smell - black body with a very slight hint of ruby around the bottom edge with a very tan to light brown head that is pretty pillowy and lasts a while. smell is very strong of chocolate with roasted malt in there.

Taste and Mouth - chocolate is easily the most dominate flavor here. it has a nice roasty bitter finish. i personally like my stouts on the thicker side and this is thin for what i expected. carbonation is good for a stout.

Drinkability - very good i go back sip after sip. this is defintely a good dessert beer.

Notes - over all i really like this beer. i wish there was more of a thick, oatmeal type mouthfeel but thats just my personal preference when it comes to stout.

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

Hmm.

A * Poured into a simple pint glass. Dark, dark in pour, dark in the cup. Zero transperancy. Light brown head that dwindles down to nothing across the surface, light stickyness of head wedged in the corner where the beer meets the cup. Lacing is thin lines but plentiful all the way around the cup.

S * Wow. Smells wonderful. Smells like walking into a fine chocolate shop. Dark chocolate, malt, coffee, and molasses.

T * I'm confused here. I don't pick up any hops in the nose but they are very prominent, almost too bitter for what I'm prepared for. I am expecting dark chocolate and malt, which are there, but the taste is overwhelmed with hop bitterness, almost soured in combination with the other flavors. Reminiscent of old coffee. I'm wondering if this bottle has been sitting under the lights too long.

M * Smooth, kinda creamy, over-carbonated. I'm immediately hit with an odd sour bitterness in the back of my tongue which is throwing off any potential it has for a good creamy mouthfeel.

D/Overall * I'm disappointed. I'm kinda worried this was an old bottle that was sitting for too long. I got it for $4.99 which around here is an amazing price for a Rogue 22oz, generally they're $6.99. I will try this again, but not until I find it on tap.

22 oz bottle poured into frosted pint

A: The epitome of how a stout should look! It pours a jet black body with a 2+ finger head.

S: Chocolate is predominant in the nose with a hint of roasted coffee. a well inviting smell.

T: As expected, Chocolate is the dominating force here. I must admit, I was expecting a sweeter chocolate than what was offered. The chocolate has a distinct bitterness to it that works very well. The more you drink this stout, the more the bitterness turns to a semi-sweet chocolate.

M: Minimal carbonation in this medium plus bodied stout. No worries as the chewiness of this desert stout pleases the mouth.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout! The initial bitterness fades away as you drink and semi-sweet chocolate is a wonderful parting gift. A very enjoyable stout indeed! The best chocolate stout hands down. Highly recommend.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle.

A- pours very well. Nice deep black with a dark khaki head. IMHO there's not a huge variation between many stouts. they tend to have the same color..only difference is in the head and lacing if any.

S-Smells of dark malts, chocolate (more prominent as the beer warms), and definitely a strong aroma of grassy hops.

T-This is a very hoppy beer. someone else mentioned that it's not a real chocolate stout..it's an IPA/Chocolate stout hybrid, and i would say it's a fair assessment. The hops jump out at you from the start. The chocolate is more in the finish and the bitterness of the dark chocolate smooths out the hoppiness somehow. This is not my idea of a chocolate stout but it does work somewhat well considerably how heavily hopped it is.

M- Seems like there's a quite bit of carbonation in it. Medium mouthfeel. the carbonation makes it harder to drink

O - This beer seems really overrated, partially because i tend to think BA is in love with hoppy beers non matter what the style and partially because of Rogue's reputation for good brews. This is not even in my top 5 of chocolate stouts and not in my top of 10 stouts. I like hops in an IPA, not my chocolate stouts.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Initial impression was typical for a stout: dark, almost black with reddish highlights when tipping the glass under bright light. Head was thin, dark tan and dissipated quickly. Aroma was enough to knock your head back... at first. Deep chocolate and roasted malt, just a hint of coffee/expresso, very bold.

Taste was overwhelmingly of chocolate and roasted malt, strong and with plenty of "bite". Definitely not for the light of heart. Well balanced for the amount of flavor present, and definitely a superior example of the style.

Intense flavor and heavy mouthfeel detract from the overall drinkability of this beer. The single 22oz. bottle was enough to leave me burned out on chocolate, and feeling stuffed.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Served in a snifter, poured from a bomber.

Appearance – Dark brown, almost black. Faint amounts of light penetrated only the very edges. Poured straight into the middle of the snifter. Thick tan head formed quickly and faded slowly to just the edges. Very minimal lacing.

Smell – Big hints of chocolate, slight roasted malt and very minute hop aroma. It almost smells like toll house chocolate chips.

Taste – Nice roasty flavor up front. Big chocolate notes in the middle and finish. The roasted malt blends perfectly with the chocolate. Slight residual sweetness, but overall it is reminiscent of semi-sweet chocolate. At the very end a slight toffee flavor finishes the sip off.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. Lends a nice character to the beer, almost like drinking dark chocolate milk... But better.

Overall –An almost perfect example. Perfectly balanced. A little more head retention would make it perfect. Rouge has done yet to make a beer that I can't appreciate. It's apparent to me as a home brewer that they spend a lot of time on recipe formulation before releasing a beer. This is my second time having this beer and my tasting notes are almost identical (glassware was different).

Serving type: 22 oz bottle

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow.

What can I say a truly great beer. Rogue outdid themselves this time.

A- Nice and dark, you cant see through it even held up to light yet it isn't black in color more of a very dark brown. Huge strong head that is about the color of a cardboard box.

S - hmmmm....ah yes, Chocolate! Bakers chocolate to be exact. I smell a little malt but that is faint compared to the overwhelming scent of dark chocolate.

T- ....yes, Chocolate. I've never had a beer that could double as a dessert as well as this one. Nice and rich, is taste neslte powder choc, some hershey dark choc, choc syrup... a bit of hop for some nice bite and a little malt but mostly chocolate... this is my new favorite. chocolate lingers well after you finish

M - nice and thick. not incredibly chewy like some others but still very full bodied. Just the right amount of carbonation and a nice dry finish..

d- I've only eve bought this by the 1pint 6 0z. bottle so I couldnt say other wise, but I cant definatly drink that bottle in one sitting and im feeling great afterwards. Probably wouldnt want mch more at once though

yes yes yes.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Aggressive pour of this black beauty yields a healthy light- brown 3 finger head.  Respectable lacing with every sip.

First thing to come to mind as I stick my nose in the duvel glass is Hershey's Syrup. In fact the more I inhale, the more I realize that, had I been blindfolded, I would not know if this were Rogue's Chocolate Stout or an ice-cold glass of chocolate milk.

This brew is not as thick as anticipated (assumed).  In fact, it's a little on the thin side. Not a lot of action on the tongue.  Silky and fairly flat.

That's not to say this stout is disappointment. While the mouthfeel isn't terribly impressive, the overall taste certainly is.  Essentially it's bold roasted malts and straight up dark chocolate goodness.  Not super complicated, just super tasty. Dessert in a glass.

I will surely buy another.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Served from a chilled 750 ml bomber poured into a snifter glass and enjoyed as it warmed closer to room temperature.

I love the designs of Rogue's bottles, very entertaining and unique.

This stout is dark! Almost like a black hole that destroys any light that should cross its path... The head looks like a milk chocolate wafer or something like an Aero chocolate bar. Simply mouth watering.

The smell does not disappoint!! For chocolate fans, this is as close to the real thing as it gets. Sticking my nose into the snifter yields fantastic notes of chocolate and roasted coffee with some malty undertones.

The taste was quite chocolately and coffee dominant when at a cold temperature. As the beverage warmed up during the sitting there existed a noticeable burn sensation on my tongue and surrounding mouth tissue. As the drink was close to room temperature the alcohol became much more noticeable but this wasn't a bad thing. The flavour became much more complex with the chocolate and roasted coffee complementing each other and becoming much more lively.

I enjoyed this beverage. I would definitely pick this one up again. Bravo Rogue!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales