Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,885 | Hads: 4,040
4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Dark with a slight brown hue, rich. excellent lacing, excellent head

S: Smells faintly of dark chocolate and all spice.

T: When I think chocolate stout, this is what I want. An great balance between dark chocolate and malty beer flavors. It has a little coffee and almost a little burnt sugar taste too it, but not enough to throw off the chocolate/stout combo -instead it adds a bit of depth. Perfection

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, rich, excellent

Overall: For it's style I can't think of any way this beer could be better so full marks. While not exactly inexpensive at $6.50 for 650ml it is worth every penny. If you love darker beers and/or chocolate you will love this beer. If you want a hoppy beer, look elsewhere -that isn't what this style or stouts in general are about. I'm going to have to add this to my list of favorite beers without a doubt.

Favorite beers (for comparison, after all taste preferences are subjective): Elysian's Daedalus Irish Stout, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Allagash's White Ale, New Belgium's 1554, Full Sail's Wassail, etc. Beer styles I don't like: IPAs (with few exceptions)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Jet Black with a nice one and a half finger high dark khaki/cappuccino colored head.
Smell: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
Taste: Chocolate, bitter coffee, and more chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not at thick as it's dark color would suggest. Medium carbonation.
Overall: A good beer, one that I will be buying again in the near future.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour produced a jet-black beer with a dense and frothy brown head. The aroma was strong and extremely complex: Dark chocolate was the most obvious, and so assertive it made my mouth water a little for want of a Hershey's bar. I also detected roasted grains and some "earthiness" that was in the background, perhaps some other character lent by the chocolate. Subtle hints of alcohol rounded out the aroma.

The roasted grains and chocolate flavors complement eachother perfectly. Roasted barley creeps up in the aftertaste and stays there. This beer is also rather bitter, both from the hops and the dark grains. Substantial fruitiness appears as the beer warms up. I detected a little bit of oxidation but it doesn't harm the overall impression. Just a little too carbonated for my tastes. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. The silkiness on my tongue makes me believe this beer was brewed with oats.

Final impression: An outstanding beer! I really loved how the character changed as the beer went from fridge to near-room temperatures. I must always have a few bottles of this stuff around.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22oz silkscreened bottle and split with a friend. Appearance is black with no chance of light penetrating the beer. Thick tan head that maintains itself until the beer is gone. Smell is dark roasted malt with a load of dark chocolate. Some coffee hints as well. Taste is heavenly. Evenly balanced dark malts with bitter chocolate combine to form a nearly perfect beer. Coffee and blackened malt hints creep in as well. Mouthfeel is thick but very palateable. Drinkability is also way up there, I could have glass after glass of this. Overall, one of the best beers that I have ever had.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Pours nice and thick with a creamy tan to brown head 1" to 1 1-2" thick. Bubbles in head are midsize and dissipate within a few minutes. Very little lace.

Smells: Roasted malts and chocolate and more chocolate. Thats all I have to say about that.

Taste: Chocolate is very nice. Not too bitter and not too sweet. I think this is very well balanced. A little hint of hops at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a semi-sweet chocolate taste that coats the tongue and fades to a pleasant bitterness.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this stout. I do not have access to many chocolate stouts in my area but I think this Rogue is great. I will definately buy this one again and again and again. I will probably enjoy this after a meal since I like sweets after I eat. I can kill two birds with one stone. An after dinner beer and sweet desert.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer I tried last night is awesome.
I believe it is only sold on draft in my state of Alabama.
It is nearly a black beer but a slight brown hue in the light.
The smell was very nice. true chocolate smell with a hint of coffee. The taste was also very drinkable. I knocked this one out fairly quick. Sweet with just the amount of bitterness to kill off alcohol taste. warm loving mouthfeel to it. I dont think texture in a brew can get much better. again this beer is very drinkable smooth finishing beer loved it.
Beau of Bama

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

650 ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.
Sight: Black hole-like darkness. Tan head with large bubbles that made a full three inches on a calm pour. Excellent lacing that stuck and measured my progress better than I could.

Smell: Roasted malt with chocolate overtones. It wasn't just bitter chocolate, but truly sweet chocolate as well. This is the downright sweetest (in classic terms) beer I've ever smelled.

Taste: Dry at first, like a good stout, then the flavor swirls in your mouth and the chocolate comes rushing out. The flavor was sweet without going too far. The finish was bitter with coffee and traditional chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, not overly carbonated and very nice going down.

Drinkability: I drank 650 ml. and could have had more. However, such good desert beers usually follow a nice meal, and this one was no exception. But I had three glasses, so I'd rate this high as stouts go.

Overall: Very pleased with this one. As I see it, the gold standard for chocolate stouts is Young's brew. Without having a bottle of Young's Double here with me, I can't make specific comparisons, but I'd rank Rogue's concoction right up there.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Ran into this at my local beer importers and like an excited child on Christmas day snapped up 6 bottles and ran home giggling.

Ive heard and read so much about this stout so when i saw it my heart stopped and i had to take it in for a second.

Upon opening my slightly chilled first bottle i was hit with an incredibly potent aroma of chocolate.

I poured slowly into a bowl stout glass and was greeted with a beautifully dark, thick and almost oil like liquid that filled my nasal cavities with chocolate, coffee, cream, nutmeg and even hints of scotch whiskey.

Taste was incredible. Beautiful hit of cocoa which burst off in tangents to give way for coffee, nutmeg and even syrup.

Coated my palatte with a lovely film of alcoholic flavour which stayed long after the first sip. As i moved on down the glass the taste didnt diminish nor become too intense.

I am very impressed with this and whenever i see it you can be sure ill be stocking up. I have saved 4 bottles of the six that i brought and am literally fighting myself to not open them.

My hat is off to Rogue....

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Dark Chocolate - with understandable choco bitterness on end - one of our tasters thought the chocolate was more like cough syrup - but he is old. 2 out of three liked it - the third (the old man) walked out and we haven't seen him since.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz silk-screened bomber (with specs about the beer but no freshness date) my wife picked up for me in Ohio. Thanks, hon!

Starts black with a nice thick tan head which dissipates pretty quickly (after a fairly slow pour). Smells slightly of roasted malts and chocolate. Taste is a wonderful bittersweet chocolate with a rounded malt (roast bitterness and sweetness) backing. Finishes fairly bitter. Nice soft mousy mouthfeel.

This is one I wish I could find more often. Very tasty on its own, but would probably go very well with cocolate cake, brownies or ice cream... Or all of the above.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

A dark opaque black with a dark brown head, this beer smells like coffee, with hints of roasted almonds and of course chocolate. Tastes of dark, bitter chocolate with coffee and a nice smooth malt finish.

Beer and Chocolate, what could be better together?!

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Rogue Chocolate Stout is one of the few top-notch readily available beers here in Mississippi. I guess I've taken this stuff for granted and I owe it a review.

Pours jet black with a nice 3/4" head that never dissipates.

Amazingly, this beer smells of chocolate. Yes, believe the other 1000+ reviews.

Delicious. I'm not pairing this with a dessert, this is dessert. I'm tasting dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and maybe even a little coffee bean on the long finish.

This is one very rich and filling stout. One bottle is just right.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Deep black, nearly opaque with a burnt tan head that hangs around a little while.

S: Smeels of cacao, chocolate malts, roasted barley, maybe a little toffee.

T: Carbonation at first, but once it settles in the glass, fine dark chocolate, roasted grains, toffee and caramel, bitter with just enough sweetness to balance it out. Bitterness comes from the chocolate as much as the hops, which are present but subtle. Nice creamy finish.

M: Carbonation and cream.

D: Easy to drink one, but not two.

Overall: So far my favorite chocolate stout. Seems like it would go equally well with a uicy pok roast or a sweet dessert. Everything in this brew is so well-balanced. Top notch stout.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance- Dark, very dark, foamy brown head, maybe a little too foamy

Smell- A coffee/chocolate blend, nutty and smoky notes too

Taste- Coffee and chocolate obviously but also a roasty nutty finish

Mouthfeel- Heavy, thick, syrupy but still smooth

Drinkability- Very tasty. This was suggested to me after I couldn't find a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and I was very satisfied. I would definitely have another. But it is heavy and filling so be prepared.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%

22oz bomber poured into a 14oz mug. No apparent freshness date on the bottle.

Pours an opaque black with a shy khaki head. Head was slow to come even with an aggressive pour. Lacing was thick and strong though.

Whoa, the nose is all semi-sweet chocolate. It's not bad, but I seriously can't find anything else in there. Bit milky I guess.

The taste is a pleasant, creamy dark chocolate, backed up quickly by coffee. The rear is brought up by an earthy hop flavor, which provides a nice balance to a truly delicious beer. I've had my share of chocolate, vanilla, maple, etc. stouts and porters and this is beautifully strong and balanced at the same time.

The mouthfeel is exceptional. There's just enough carbonation to cut the thickness, but it's pleasantly thick and very appropriate for the style.

Drinkability is very good for the style. I'd much rather have several dry well balanced stouts like this than some of the over-done half-candy flavored stouts I've had lately.

What a great chocolate stout. While the nose is almost comically strong, don't be fooled; this is an exceptionally good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

this was presented to me at cobblestones in a sampler glass(about 7oz.). beautiful dark body with a thick tan head. I'm not into chocolate stouts but this was exceptional. you can smell the chocolate. very good rich taste. I will be back for a pint or two sometime in the near future.

3.16/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: poured jet black (maintained when held up to a light) with an inch of caramel-colored head (minute settle). some sticky, globby lacing but that settled quickly.

S: nesquik chocolate syrup (dominating the olfaction), roasted grains, and just a slight undertone of rottenness that's reminiscent of the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator after a few weeks of neglect.

T: given the potent chocolate smell, i was expecting an overwhelming chocolate-milk taste, but the taste was actually a little underwhelming. there's a slight nose of chocolate but that's about all i'm getting.

M: rather light. again... leaving something to be desired. a bitter-tinge down the middle of the tongue and it's gone.

O: despite what sounds like a negative review, i didn't hate this beer. it had an enjoyable, unique smell (one of the most chocolaty smellin' beers i've ever had) and an easy-on-the-palate taste; the appearance and smell just got my hopes up. i was expecting a trip down memory lane when i used to put entirely too much chocolate in my milk when no one was looking.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Dark! You can't see through the glass. Very thick, brown head. Pretty!

S - Tootsie roll! Lots of characteristics here, but mostly chocolate and roasted coffee.

T - Bitter-sweet chocolate, with a nice roasted malty flavor. Pretty strong bodied.

M & D - Thick and heavy, and definitely gives a bitter sting. A little too carbonated for my taste in these types of beers. Fun to drink, but you can probably only drink one. I had this for desert, and I was thoroughly satisfied.

I would easily drink this again. Recommended.

A- black as night with a dark brown head.
S- Deep chocalte smell. hints of coffee and malt.
T- WOW!!! the chocalate is impressive, intense, and perfectly balanced with a subtle bitter hop taste.
MF- all incompasing, palatte coating, chocalate blast.
d- utterly drinkable. it is like dessert in a bottle.

This is a beautiful brew that taste amazing. ive never had a beer with this much well balanced chocalate flavor. im not even a chocalate fan generally, but this brew is amazing. i fell in love with this the first time i had one, and i continue to buy this brew. no matter what your into, please try this brew, it is a classic! My personal favorite.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Very dark appearance, almost jet black with a brownish hue. Love the color.

S: In short, a great chocolate smell with dark malt and hops. Some nutty molasses in there as well.

T: I was a little skeptical of a chocolate Beer but Surprisingly it was blended well. You taste the chocolate mostly when it first hits your tongue and on the aftertaste. I like how you can taste the chocolate but it doesn't overpower it at all. Great brewing if you ask me. An awesome winter Beer to be savored.

M: Wow, I was surprised on how smooth this Beer was. Phenomenal texture, so creamy. I think the chocolate really comes through on the mouthfeel.

D: I could drink a lot of this, I don't want to put it down.

I highly recommend this beer if you are a fan of dark beers, it really is liquid gold. Awesome Beer.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours thick black with a chocolate brown head. Even when held right up to a lamp no light is coming through this bad boy.

Smells like chocolate! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! No suprise here. Just a hint of roasted malt.

Taste starts off with a tiny burnt/roasted malt bitter bite followed by a very silky chocolate taste. Almost like a hot coco powder but more towards the dark chocolate side. Not overly sweet or heavy. The best part is that it tastes like real chocolate unlike some beers that have the chocolate name in their label.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and milk like with just a hint of carbonation. Suprisingly light as it sits in your belly which is great because I could sip this all night long.

As far as chocolate beers go, this is the best I have had. Makes an excellent dessert by itself but I am sure it would go excellent with a slice of chocolate cake (perhaps it would even make a good cake!). Go out and find one if you haven't because this is what a chocolate beer should be!

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A-Nice and dark, think creamy brown head that stays.

S-Wow! Chocolate, a tad roasty with a slight hop bitterness.

T-Nice full body, I can really taste the chocolate, as above a tad roasty.

What a great stout, the first few are very drinkable, after that I start getting a tad full. It was a realy treat to find this on tap.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Black, and a nice two finger brown head.

S - The only chocolate stout I have been able to smell chocolate in.

T - Unsweetened bakers chocolate and roasted malts,as with the smell I was able to taste the chocolate right from the start.

M - Smooth, dry on the finish.

D - Easily the best chocolate stout I have had, and very easy to drink. I would get it if you want a chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales