Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,876 | Hads: 3,984
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Looks like liquified chocolate cake. Thick pour, deep black in color with minimal head. Poured from 22oz bottle at room temperature.

S: I think I took more time smelling this brew than drinking it. Fantastic bitter chocolate aromas mixed with strong coffee scents and roasted malt. Just great.

T: Again, great. Bitter chocolate (like baking chocolate) truffles, coffee. More sweet than bitter overall. I think I need another for more research :)

M: Only area that came up a little short for me. I expected a much thicker, creamier feel to compliment the taste. Not bad at all but should be richer.

D: One did it for me. Would be great after dinner to finish things off.

Overall I enjoyed this stout quite a bit but I wouldn't break it out all the time. My first Rogue offering. (795 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Pretty, creamy, light brown head that needs some agitation to get going. The nose of roasted malt and chocolate is simple but elegant. Taste is reminiscent of the nose. Nothing complex... roasted malt and chocolate, but extremely intense. Bigger hop flavor that I expected from this style, but not a lot of bitterness. Tastes dry hopped but probably isn't. Thinner mouthfeel than I expected, but I think that works in its favor. Still a little mouth-coating creaminess, presumably from the oats, which gives it some richness. Carbonation is appropriate and its drinkability is good.

I can't say this beer is anything particularly innovative, but it is intense and delicious. Everything about it seems "correct." (712 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Just started as a craft brewery fan, began with Pale Ales and IPA'a and now moving into Stout/Porters. This beer pour a very dark brwon color with a thick brown head that seems to last forever. The smell is awsome, full and deep, the chocolate is definetley there, reminds me of trufles, fondue and strawberries with chocolate. Flavor has a strong hoppy character, that gives a pleasant contrast to teh aroma. As the lable states, there are hints of oatmeal, chocolate and truffle. Aftermouth is also very enjoyable. Overall this is one of the best stouts I have had (which is not much as I said earlier) and I would highly recomend it. (636 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it (757 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The Rogue Chocolate Stout was presented in a brown bomber and poured into a Guinness beer mug.

Appearance: It pours extremely dark and forms a great big coffee colored head that takes a while to settle, and leaves lacing.

Smell: Lots of chocolate w/ hints of cream and hops.

Taste: The first taste is some nice bitter hops, and then it settles with a hint of chocolate that stays around for a while.

Feel: Coats the mouth with a buttery sensation and ends crisp and carbonated.

Notes: This is a tasty stout that I wouldn't mind enjoying after a good meal. (565 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A: This beer is dark black with a nice brown head.
S: You can immediately smell the chocolate with some roasted malt.
T: It tastes like roasted malt and chocolate. It's not too sweet like some other chocolate beers and not very hoppy.
M: It's not too thick and syrupy like you might expect after pouring it. It has a pleasant medium body and good carbonation.
D: This beer is easy to drink as long as you like chocolate. It's not all that strong either so if you like stouts this is a good one to drink. It would be great with dessert. (535 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A:Extremely dark brown a shade from black, lightly carbonated,1 finger head lacking retention

S:Heavy chocolatey smell reminsce of a tootsie roll overpowers

T:Dark chocolate where the cocoa really comes through, leafy hops with mellow roasted malt;fairly sweet but with slight bitter edge to offset it

M:Light,Thin, and Slightly Coarse

D:Very palatable,pleasant chocolate taste well balanced by the spunky hops and smooth malt.

It was a straight forward enjoyable beer that I enjoyed trying. I couldn't see making a very good session drink, though as a chocolate stout I'm not sure that it's meant to be.I would recommend this as a dinner or desert accoutrement as opposed to a strong standalone beer. (707 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%

a: nice dark color with a creamy chocolate colored head

s: slight roastiness and chocolate

t: milk chocolate up front which turned into a nice roasty flavor towards the end.

m: not too heavy, medium body and creamy

d: went down smooth. I had a 22oz bottle and it was gone before I knew. Definitely a beer that could get you in trouble if you don't pay attention. :) (369 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Dark, silky looking, two fingers of thick brown head. It takes several minutes for the head to subside, but a residual "slick" of head stays on the top. As you drink, head-like residue coats the side you are not sipping.

S - The smell came in waves for me. First I smelled bitter unsweetened chocolate, followed by a sweet smell that reminded me of thick drinking cocoa, and finished with a slight burn of alcohol.

T - Starts out slightly bitter, which is quickly overpowered by slightly sweet chocolate (not too sweet for a beer though), then slowly fades to a perfect bitter.

M - It starts out with slight carbonation, and goes down silky smooth like 2% milk. (668 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My girlfriend and I tried this beer last week and we loved it. I liked the aroma and taste of this stout. My girlfriend doesn't do beer all that much but she liked the Chocolate Stout. So much so that we took home a few bottles. It went well with some chicken we had. I really recommend it. (290 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Very dark brown color with a tan, extremely creamy-looking head that starts about 1.5-2.0" thick and sticks around awhile.

S: Light odor of coffee with hints of alcohol, but overwhelmingly like powdered cocoa (in a good way).

T: So, so smooth. It drinks like Luvel chocolate milk, except not sugary and with a most welcome flavor of hops and a slight coffee intro. Delicious bittersweet finish.

M: Excellent. As I said before, it's akin to drinking bittersweet, beer-flavored chocolate milk.

D: Very high drinkability. Could easily enjoy this all night long.

I appreciate stouts ranging from the kick-in-the-nuts of a RIS like Old Rasputin to the creamy drinkability of Guinness draft. This offering from Rogue is just about a perfect combination of complexity of taste and repeat-drinkability. Will definitely order again...and again. (848 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -60.8%

I don't know why this beer is in the 100 beers. It is below average at best. Not creamy like a good stout should be. The carbinaton was that of a bottle of Pepsi. I thought that maybe it was me, and maybe I got a bad bottle, but 2 of my other friends had it also. One in Colorado, and One in Ohio, both had the same reaction. In my opinion this beer is way overrated. (367 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is jet black and thick when it pours - on top of it sits a beige 2 finger head that sticks around with good lacing as it recedes. Smells of chocolate and malt - very pleasing to the nose, it almost reminds me of hot cocoa. The flavor, of course, is noticeably chocolate, however it is not overwhelming and is extremely pleasant. The chocolate seems to be in near perfect balance with the malt flavor. It is slightly sweet, but it adds to the chocolate and makes it an extremely flavorful and delicious brew. This is now one of my favorite beers - would recommend to anyone that enjoys beer. (600 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Extremely dark, set off by a rich brownish tan head. Nice retention, good lacing.

S: Delicious aroma of dark chocolate with a healthy helping of coffee. Fantastic smell.

T: The chocolate is the most powerful sensation on the taste buds. I was disappointed that the taste wasn't quite as rich as the aroma. Still, very good. A touch of sweet vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Can only describe it as a bit deceptive. I was expecting it to be much heavier but it seemed to almost disappear. Very creamy and smooth, but relatively light.

Overall, very good. I'm glad I was able to try it. (578 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: As you would expect from an American Stout... Deep, dark brown/black. The head does not linger, but is a coffee bean brown (without the taste of coffee!). Just one of those beers--as is the case with most Rogue brews--that you just know you are going to enjoy.

Smell: Very chocolatey on the nose with an undertone of roasted malts and black patent. Cannot emphasize the chocolate more... Smells of really raw, dark chocolate nibs.

Taste: The chocolate does not disappoint, as it is front and center when it hits your tongue, followed by the lingering roasted flavors of the malts with dry, residual bitterness from the black malts. Oh, oh so tasty.

Mouthfeel: The malty/roasted flavors really, really linger. The tasty elixer rests in your mouth, but does not leave a dextrin-like smacky feeling. Take a drink of coffee right after this (I know, a combination of vices), and you will be a very happy person.

Overall: Truly one of my favorite American Stouts... I have tried so many, especially this past winter, and this one just always rises to the top. (1,072 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Pretty amazing beer.
Nice pour, nice color, great smell. Tastes great. Great great great etc etc
I'm not sure how many of these I'd want to have in one sitting, but this is really one of the be(tter?)(est?) stouts I've had.
They're not kidding about the chocolate taste, btw. I've had lots of stouts that were labeled as chocolate but tasted overwhelmingly like coffee. Not so with this one. As a lover of both chocolate and stouts, this one is right up my alley.
Excellent beer (479 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Had a deep, dark, almost black, color to it, which reminded me of used motor oil for some reason; not a bad color IMO. Solid head retention that had a milk chocolate brown hue to it.

S: Unbeliveable rich dark chocolate comes to mind first, followed by a subtle smell of coffee, which doesn't overpower. A slight smell of hops lingers towards the end.

T: Taste was a bit disappointing, considering how great it smelled. First the rich dark chocolate hit my taste buds, then an earthy, ground coffee taste followed...would have liked to taste a bit more hops for the finish, but I know that is normally not true to the style (I'm a hop head at my core)

M: Felt very thick, almost like a mollasses or syrup...a bit too heavy for my taste, but still enjoyable. A moderate amount of carbonation, which suits the beer well.

O: Overall an enjoyable beer, one that I would drink again in the near future, especially on a cold and rainy day. Couldn't drink more than a couple, as one feels like eating a full meal (1,013 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Was a little hesitant about this one as it is the first chocolate stout I have tried.

Keen on trying a few more now!

This is a great beer.

Pours very dark with a tan head that dissipates

Smells something like ovaltine.. nice and sweet

Tastes hoppy at first with a lingering dark chocolate flavour

Excellent beer .. going to have to have a go at brewing a chocolate stout now (381 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Smell: milkchoclate malt sweetness Coffee
taste: First it tastes like milkchoclate then a heavy bitterness enters the game and the taste goes into the dark chocolate direction.
For my taste a little bit to light body but overall a solid an nice stout (251 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

This is a rich malty sweet beauty with a creamy off white head and thick lacing. The color is completely opaque. The aromas of chocolate and mocha are completely apparent from the opening of the bottle, there are more subtle notes of toasty or roasted grain but not overpowering. I think Rogue has once again proven to me that they can brew whatever they want and succeed. I could drink this beer for dessert any day of the week. (429 characters)

At first taste, I loved this beer. Subsequent tastings, however, made me realize that although it delivers on the promise of chocolate flavors, that's not necessarily what I'm looking for in a beer.

For me, hops, malt, and yeast make up the heart of the flavor of beer. These three things should be balanced for the beer to taste really good. There are other things which can be added to beers to enhance the flavor, but I feel if an enhancement eclipses either the hops, the malt, or the yeast, it's been overdone.

That's the best way I can describe Rogue Chocolate Stout, a good beer with added flavor that's been overdone. I'll stick with Young's Double Chocolate Stout, which tastes like beer, but reminds me of chocolate, not the other way around. (756 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer pours dark brown from the bottle, with an ample, cola-like head.

S: Dry baking cocoa is the dominant note, with undertones of conventional stout-like toasted malt. Not unexpected, but pleasing.

T: The taste reverses the smell, with toasted malt making its appearance at the forefront, but with just the subtlest hint of dark chocolate in company with hops in good balance, appearing most plainly on the finish.

M: This beer's mouthfeel doesn't quite match its good looks, smell and taste, and was somewhat thinner and more sparse than I expected, though it is accompanied by a pleasant amount of carbonation.

O: Competent, if not complex, the components of this beer don't, for me, add up to an outstanding whole. I'd drink it again, and it is solidly above-average, but somehow seems slightly lacking. (820 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into snifter from a 22 ounce bomber.

A: Dark black in color. Nice thick light brown foamy head. Looks great. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Malty Chocolate smell. Smells delicious.

T: First taste is burnt malt. The finish is bitter with a sweet Chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Medium body.

D: A very drinkable stout. I will have plenty of these stocked in my fridge for the fall. Goes great with the Milk Duds I am eating.

This is my favorite beer from Rogue out of all of them I tried. Much better then the Mocha porter that they offer. (584 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -4.8%

poured dark from the bottle with enormous head, with big bubbles... more carbonation than i was anticipating. head was a dirty-tan.

aroma: chocolate. but not milk chocolate, dark chocolate. like 100% stuff. roasty toasty chocolate. i'd imagine that's what walking into a cocoa processing plant might smell like.

the taste? i'd imagine that's what a cocoa processing plant might taste like. seriously though it tastes like it smells and it's lovely. i get some charcoal bitterness on the back end accentuated by the hops which i felt were a little strong.

it feels wet but silky... medium-high carbonation could use a little tweaking maybe between the chocolate bitterness, hop bitterness, and carbonation bite there's a lot going on that might prevent you from really enjoying the nuances but if you're looking for a really good west-coast american interpretation of stout, and you like chocolate, this one is pretty solid. (926 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Black with a chocolate milk colored head that lasts for a long time.

S - Smells like a tootsie roll.

T - Sweet, high on the hops, espresso, roasted flavors, ends with a bitter taste of a dark chocolate. Bitterness lingers like burn pop corn.

M - Full body, not watery like Guinness. Would love to try this Stout with nitro. Moderately carbonated.

D - slightly dry. (375 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales