Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

KeithVan, Mar 18, 2013
3.59/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle.

A- pours very well. Nice deep black with a dark khaki head. IMHO there's not a huge variation between many stouts. they tend to have the same color..only difference is in the head and lacing if any.

S-Smells of dark malts, chocolate (more prominent as the beer warms), and definitely a strong aroma of grassy hops.

T-This is a very hoppy beer. someone else mentioned that it's not a real chocolate stout..it's an IPA/Chocolate stout hybrid, and i would say it's a fair assessment. The hops jump out at you from the start. The chocolate is more in the finish and the bitterness of the dark chocolate smooths out the hoppiness somehow. This is not my idea of a chocolate stout but it does work somewhat well considerably how heavily hopped it is.

M- Seems like there's a quite bit of carbonation in it. Medium mouthfeel. the carbonation makes it harder to drink

O - This beer seems really overrated, partially because i tend to think BA is in love with hoppy beers non matter what the style and partially because of Rogue's reputation for good brews. This is not even in my top 5 of chocolate stouts and not in my top of 10 stouts. I like hops in an IPA, not my chocolate stouts.

Swedgin_Wu, Mar 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Plasticites, Feb 11, 2014
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Initial impression was typical for a stout: dark, almost black with reddish highlights when tipping the glass under bright light. Head was thin, dark tan and dissipated quickly. Aroma was enough to knock your head back... at first. Deep chocolate and roasted malt, just a hint of coffee/expresso, very bold.

Taste was overwhelmingly of chocolate and roasted malt, strong and with plenty of "bite". Definitely not for the light of heart. Well balanced for the amount of flavor present, and definitely a superior example of the style.

Intense flavor and heavy mouthfeel detract from the overall drinkability of this beer. The single 22oz. bottle was enough to leave me burned out on chocolate, and feeling stuffed.

Ilacquin, Jan 02, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow.

What can I say a truly great beer. Rogue outdid themselves this time.

A- Nice and dark, you cant see through it even held up to light yet it isn't black in color more of a very dark brown. Huge strong head that is about the color of a cardboard box.

S - hmmmm....ah yes, Chocolate! Bakers chocolate to be exact. I smell a little malt but that is faint compared to the overwhelming scent of dark chocolate.

T- ....yes, Chocolate. I've never had a beer that could double as a dessert as well as this one. Nice and rich, is taste neslte powder choc, some hershey dark choc, choc syrup... a bit of hop for some nice bite and a little malt but mostly chocolate... this is my new favorite. chocolate lingers well after you finish

M - nice and thick. not incredibly chewy like some others but still very full bodied. Just the right amount of carbonation and a nice dry finish..

d- I've only eve bought this by the 1pint 6 0z. bottle so I couldnt say other wise, but I cant definatly drink that bottle in one sitting and im feeling great afterwards. Probably wouldnt want mch more at once though

yes yes yes.

nicdub, Oct 03, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Aggressive pour of this black beauty yields a healthy light- brown 3 finger head.  Respectable lacing with every sip.

First thing to come to mind as I stick my nose in the duvel glass is Hershey's Syrup. In fact the more I inhale, the more I realize that, had I been blindfolded, I would not know if this were Rogue's Chocolate Stout or an ice-cold glass of chocolate milk.

This brew is not as thick as anticipated (assumed).  In fact, it's a little on the thin side. Not a lot of action on the tongue.  Silky and fairly flat.

That's not to say this stout is disappointment. While the mouthfeel isn't terribly impressive, the overall taste certainly is.  Essentially it's bold roasted malts and straight up dark chocolate goodness.  Not super complicated, just super tasty. Dessert in a glass.

I will surely buy another.

iheartIPA, Aug 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

tendercomrade, Jul 13, 2014
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Served from a chilled 750 ml bomber poured into a snifter glass and enjoyed as it warmed closer to room temperature.

I love the designs of Rogue's bottles, very entertaining and unique.

This stout is dark! Almost like a black hole that destroys any light that should cross its path... The head looks like a milk chocolate wafer or something like an Aero chocolate bar. Simply mouth watering.

The smell does not disappoint!! For chocolate fans, this is as close to the real thing as it gets. Sticking my nose into the snifter yields fantastic notes of chocolate and roasted coffee with some malty undertones.

The taste was quite chocolately and coffee dominant when at a cold temperature. As the beverage warmed up during the sitting there existed a noticeable burn sensation on my tongue and surrounding mouth tissue. As the drink was close to room temperature the alcohol became much more noticeable but this wasn't a bad thing. The flavour became much more complex with the chocolate and roasted coffee complementing each other and becoming much more lively.

I enjoyed this beverage. I would definitely pick this one up again. Bravo Rogue!

Phillie, Dec 05, 2010

Ourbrew, Aug 05, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

victor_07, Sep 11, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours black with a brownish tan head. The name of this brew cant even trick Mr. Obvious. Smells of Chocolate, with hints of coffee. As far as taste goes, this one tops the "Stout Chart" and you guessed it, tastes like chocolate. However, I had a 22oz bottle of this, and if I hadnt shared it, I probably couldn't have finished it by myself. A 12oz bottle would be a perfect serving size. Overall another wonderful beer by Rogue.

BurghBrewPSU, Feb 11, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

This is a phenomenal chocolate stout. Had one last night and accidentally spilled some on the rug. The stain looks like black ink.

Pours pitch black with a thick, foamy, dark head that doesn't stick around for a long time.
Smells spicy with chocolate and dark grain.
Taste is full bodied with hint of chocolate and well roasted, almost burnt, grain with a very nice finish.
Very silky and creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.
Highly drinkable for a heavy, full bodied stout.

This is an awesome stout. This is a tasty adult treat like chocolate milk was when I was a kid. I highly recommend it. Mmm...I want another.

stevegamburg, Jan 23, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Very nice chocolate aroma, a beautiful dark black out of the bottle with a nice creamy head. Had a good chocolate taste and finished like bitter dark chocolate. Mouthfeel was good for the style, not much carbonation. I could probably drink this all day, every day. Great beer.

MaxxDaddy, Nov 08, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a snifter, poured from a bomber.

Appearance – Dark brown, almost black. Faint amounts of light penetrated only the very edges. Poured straight into the middle of the snifter. Thick tan head formed quickly and faded slowly to just the edges. Very minimal lacing.

Smell – Big hints of chocolate, slight roasted malt and very minute hop aroma. It almost smells like toll house chocolate chips.

Taste – Nice roasty flavor up front. Big chocolate notes in the middle and finish. The roasted malt blends perfectly with the chocolate. Slight residual sweetness, but overall it is reminiscent of semi-sweet chocolate. At the very end a slight toffee flavor finishes the sip off.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. Lends a nice character to the beer, almost like drinking dark chocolate milk... But better.

Overall –An almost perfect example. Perfectly balanced. A little more head retention would make it perfect. Rouge has done yet to make a beer that I can't appreciate. It's apparent to me as a home brewer that they spend a lot of time on recipe formulation before releasing a beer. This is my second time having this beer and my tasting notes are almost identical (glassware was different).

Serving type: 22 oz bottle

KellyL, Jun 13, 2012
4.15/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Black as black can be with deep ruby accents on the bottom. Medium khaki head which recedes fairly quickly to cover the entire top of the beer.

Smell: Glorious! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Malty, too, but not as out in front as the chocolate.

Taste: Malty and then chocolatey, in reverse of the smell.

Mouthfeel: Weak for the style and taste, but not disappointing.

Oldscramch, Oct 09, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -27%

Hmm.

A * Poured into a simple pint glass. Dark, dark in pour, dark in the cup. Zero transperancy. Light brown head that dwindles down to nothing across the surface, light stickyness of head wedged in the corner where the beer meets the cup. Lacing is thin lines but plentiful all the way around the cup.

S * Wow. Smells wonderful. Smells like walking into a fine chocolate shop. Dark chocolate, malt, coffee, and molasses.

T * I'm confused here. I don't pick up any hops in the nose but they are very prominent, almost too bitter for what I'm prepared for. I am expecting dark chocolate and malt, which are there, but the taste is overwhelmed with hop bitterness, almost soured in combination with the other flavors. Reminiscent of old coffee. I'm wondering if this bottle has been sitting under the lights too long.

M * Smooth, kinda creamy, over-carbonated. I'm immediately hit with an odd sour bitterness in the back of my tongue which is throwing off any potential it has for a good creamy mouthfeel.

D/Overall * I'm disappointed. I'm kinda worried this was an old bottle that was sitting for too long. I got it for $4.99 which around here is an amazing price for a Rogue 22oz, generally they're $6.99. I will try this again, but not until I find it on tap.

inxy, Jan 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

22OZ. bottle poured into a 24oz beer mug. Bottle was bought at local Krogers for 5.49+tax. 6.0 % ABV.

Apperence- very dark brown pretty much black, nice creamy looking brown head.

Smell- Smells of Chocolate,Roasted Malts, sweetness.

Taste- More of a dark chocolate then milk, little coffee, roasted malts, a little bit bitter but still tastes really good.

Mouthfeel- This is a smooth creamy medium bodied
beer.

Drinkabilty- I would say anyone could drink this beer, the sweetness may only allow some to drink a single serving of it but on taste alone, you would want to drink alot more.

Overall This is one of my all time favorite beers
I have said before in other reviews that Rogue is one of my favorite brewers out there and this is one, if not their best. I buy this beer often and its a great choice if you just want a good beer or are enjoying it with your desert. Thanks!

wvu9787, Oct 23, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into a standard pilsner glass.

A: Pours a jet black with a hue on the bottom where light barely gets through of the darkest brown possible. there is a 2 finger foamy/bubbly head that goes down after about a minute or two but does retain a small half finger of bubbly head for a few more minutes. Minimal lacing, but some circulated throughout the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, like sticking your nose in a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Rather pleasant.

T: Dark chocolate. Sweet but a tad bitter, like dark chocolate. It is a nice tasting stout that is dominant in the chocolate taste of course, but tastes like a stout nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: pretty full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth like a stout should be but heavier than anything i would call medium bodied.

O: I am not overly impressed with the stout. It is a nice chocolate stout, a sweet smell and dark chocolate taste provides some complexity and uniqueness, but it lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on. I just didn't love it and I would consider it a tad overrated given the scores on this site, but I would recommend giving it a try for sure.

frogships, Feb 22, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Dark with a slight brown hue, rich. excellent lacing, excellent head

S: Smells faintly of dark chocolate and all spice.

T: When I think chocolate stout, this is what I want. An great balance between dark chocolate and malty beer flavors. It has a little coffee and almost a little burnt sugar taste too it, but not enough to throw off the chocolate/stout combo -instead it adds a bit of depth. Perfection

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, rich, excellent

Overall: For it's style I can't think of any way this beer could be better so full marks. While not exactly inexpensive at $6.50 for 650ml it is worth every penny. If you love darker beers and/or chocolate you will love this beer. If you want a hoppy beer, look elsewhere -that isn't what this style or stouts in general are about. I'm going to have to add this to my list of favorite beers without a doubt.

Favorite beers (for comparison, after all taste preferences are subjective): Elysian's Daedalus Irish Stout, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Allagash's White Ale, New Belgium's 1554, Full Sail's Wassail, etc. Beer styles I don't like: IPAs (with few exceptions)

GordonofSeattle, May 10, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

Pilsgrimage, Mar 24, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Jet Black with a nice one and a half finger high dark khaki/cappuccino colored head.
Smell: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
Taste: Chocolate, bitter coffee, and more chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not at thick as it's dark color would suggest. Medium carbonation.
Overall: A good beer, one that I will be buying again in the near future.

gtcastle, Nov 10, 2013