Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
chiggeybean

Slycer

11-16-2012 19:18:47 | More by Slycer
BulbousBeer

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This in my mind is not really a stout, it is a IPA/stout hybrid. I love a hoppy beer when I order one but a stout should not taste like this, a stout is more about the malt not the hops, I would of probably loved it if I was not expecting a stout. Forgetting what this beer is supposed to be, it has good chocolate and coffee flavors, but the body is a little lacking, it is actually a pleasant drink. But i'd rather of had a actual stout.

Second tasting. After trying this a second time, I have changed my mind. Being from the UK I am used to a British style of stout, as that was what I was expecting I was disappointed. This time around I took a more open minded sip. This is actually a very tasty and balanced beer, i still find it some what a hybrid to my tastes but a real tasty one. I hope to try more from Rogue ales.

03-01-2013 03:57:40 | More by BulbousBeer
chefcurtlee

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

I was impressed by the rich espresso color of this stout. It had a perfect mouthfeel. I could pick up on the chocolate flavor without it being overpowering. Is was smooth and creamy with just the perfect level of carbonation and a pleasantly bitter finish. It may sound crazy but it had the after taste of a tootsie roll. I have not had a lot of chocolate stouts, but after this one, I will be seeking them out.

01-06-2014 04:19:32 | More by chefcurtlee
DrShah

04-20-2014 08:59:45 | More by DrShah
Olorin

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Simply amazing, looks like chocolate syrup coming out of the bottle.
Has the darkest head I've ever poured - albeit somewhat uneven bubbles. Chocolate Mocha aroma, very nice. Thick creamy deep roasted flavor. A very moving moment. Hops asserts itself, beautifully balanced and deeply satisfying. This is what I'd hoped to experience with Rogue. Silky and velvety on the tongue and all the way down. Wish I owned a case or two. Extremely fine Brussels Lace. Rogue claims to use Imported Chocolate when making this brew and it must be said it is done with a restrained hand. It is the quintessential chocolate stout. A rare find.

04-06-2004 06:06:58 | More by Olorin
Maggie99

01-14-2013 03:40:05 | More by Maggie99
killthehatred

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Oh my crap, this is a delicious beer. When you pour it into a glass you see that its dense and thick, which to me, is how a good stout should be. And the smell - amazing. It smells like fucking chocolate cake.

I don't have too much to say about the appearance - thick, dark, not too much head. Fine by me.

The taste is fantastic to say the least - everything blends well - the chocolate, the roasty taste, the bitterness (but not TOO bitter). It slides down easily - no strange aftertaste. I could definitely drink more than one. This beer is on point. I'm a fan of Rogue, so I got what I expected. =)

08-26-2005 23:28:09 | More by killthehatred
jporter188

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This is an excellent Chocolate Stout. My cat likes it so I know this to be true. She drinks a little drop from my finger and if she licks her lips, I know it's good!

I poured from a bottle into my new Rogue goblet provided by my wife as a Christmas gift. The apperance is dark, definitely a little thicker than average beer, with a dark coffee color.

The smell was not strong, but it was nice. It had a nice aroma of Chocolate, but I could certainly smell some hops in there too.

The taste was perfect. I'm not even a fan of chocolate and this was delightful. It was not overwhelmingly chocolate, but definitely a hint under the hops and malt.

It was a little thicker than some other beers, but not like a Guiness. It was not as thick as milk. That was nice, because darker beers tend to be a bit heavier and this was not too heavy to drink the full 22 oz. bottle in one setting.

This was quite drinkable. As I mentioned I didn't have any problem finishing the full bottle and a full meal. I would recommend this to anyone who likes fine beers.

Overall, this is a great beer. I will definitely stock this in my personal stock on a regular basis.

01-02-2008 00:32:28 | More by jporter188
mburkholtz

4.45/5  rDev +7%

One of my favorites!

Rogue Chocolate Stout is big on taste. Chocolate and coffee flavors burst forth as soon as you begin to pour. They loom even larger as you drink.

A little too powerful to be enjoyed all the time, this stout is best imbibed at the end of a hearty meal -- perhaps before (or during) dessert!

Unfortunately, this beer is quite difficult (at least in NJ) to track down -- damn!

02-04-2007 18:02:39 | More by mburkholtz
ChuckTownB

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

I tried this beer alone and mixed with two other Rogue Beers. Alone it was delicious, robust with chocolate taste, and had a tight finish. I was told by a bartender to try it combined with a Rogue Chipotle Ale to make a mole black and tan, which was phenominal. I ordered another Chocolate Stout later and combined it with a Rogue Hazelnut Ale which was like liquid truffles, it was awsome. I had alot of fun with this beer.

10-31-2007 23:07:28 | More by ChuckTownB
samharley71

Australia

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

06-20-2014 22:53:53 | More by samharley71
jf2

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Presentation: Standard 1p 6 fl oz bottle, poured into glass slightly shorter and wider than a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a heavy dark brown. A surprising amount of carbonation without truly forming a head. Very little lace at first, and once head settled, there was none.

Nose: Toasty, with notes of coffee and, yes, chocolate.

Taste: Rich malt, with toasted flavors, both chocolate and coffee. A very slightly sweet finish is followed by a slightly bitter after taste, but in a positive way, which reminds me that I am drinking a toasty stout.

Mouth Feel: Surprisingly carbonated and light, compared to other stouts (in my opinion). Early in the bottle the carbonation was cloying, but dissipated later in the bottle, possible as the beer warmed.

Drinkablilty: Quite delicious. I liked it more and more as I finished the bottle.

09-09-2008 03:45:07 | More by jf2
logelinjl

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I first starting drinking the Rogue after I moved in with my roomate and he collection the Rogue bottles and I have always wanted to try them after reading the describitions on the bottles. Its a great stout, its dark, creamy head, can seriously tatse the chocolate. Could drink it again and again.

10-08-2008 06:04:52 | More by logelinjl
jjudge

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a pint glass via 22 oz bomber; gift from @bgramer

Appearance: Nice, thick black pour, toasty head.

Smell: Heady milk chocolate aroma

Taste: Bitter chocolate and coffee, strong tart aftertaste lingered in the roof of my mouth. Beer holds true to it's name, tons of chocolate - similar to a piece of whopper candy. This beer really came alive when paired with truffles. Yum.

Mouthfeel: Big mouthful of chocolate and malt.

Drinkability: Nice, drinkable beer. Can't see drinking more than a few, but very tasty.

12-26-2008 02:08:20 | More by jjudge
drez511

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into snifter from a 22 ounce bomber.

A: Dark black in color. Nice thick light brown foamy head. Looks great. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Malty Chocolate smell. Smells delicious.

T: First taste is burnt malt. The finish is bitter with a sweet Chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Medium body.

D: A very drinkable stout. I will have plenty of these stocked in my fridge for the fall. Goes great with the Milk Duds I am eating.

This is my favorite beer from Rogue out of all of them I tried. Much better then the Mocha porter that they offer.

11-01-2009 00:08:46 | More by drez511

12-11-2012 02:52:16 | More by camaro0214
mtcarr88

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

22 oz bomber poured into standard pint glass.

This is a beautiful looking beer, dark and robust with a wonderful tan/brown head. The beer pours smooth, and look wonderful as it exits the bottle, almost a molasses type of look as the liquid is poured into the glass.

The first note on the smell is chocolate, a bitter dark chocolate, in vein of a baker's chocolate. It hits your nose immediately, and you can tell this is a real chocolate stout, there aren't chocolate notes, it's pure real chocolate in your nose. I also could smell a faint citrus of hops, and even some mocha style coffee in the nose as well. A fantastic smelling beer.

Once this beer hits your tongue the chocolate hits you right in the face, it's like the woman on the label served you this beer freshly and once the liquid hits your tongue she clinches a bar of chocolate and punches you in the face. A dark, bitter, chocolate is extremely apparent, also mixing with slight coffee roastyness, and I even got a little toffee upfront. The back of this beer is what really separates it, and that's the undeniable bitterness. This stout has 69 IBU's and for a reason, it perfectly balances out that sweet hit in the face at the front of the mouth, with an amazing hop bitterness at the back. Very slight citrus, piney-like hops were tasted at the finish. What a perfect way to end a tasty brew.

Chocolate upfront and hops in the back, and then the chocolate lingers on in your mouth, begging you to drink even more. The mouthfeel is exceptional, I would have liked a bit more bitterness at the back, but this is still a great balance, it's not overly sweet, but not overly bitter at the same time. Carbonation is very mild, and you can be generous with your sips, but I don't think you'd want to, as this beer is meant to be savored.

Drinkability is fairly high, the addictive taste and hop bitterness leaves you begging for more as I said, but it is apparent how heavy this beer can be, so a 22 oz bomber is perfect for me in one sitting.

There aren't too many horrible things I can say about this beer, it still remains one of my favorite stouts I have tried so far, and one of my favorite beers I have tried in my short life. The only real compliant I would have is the price, it's about 6 bucks where I live for a 22 oz bomber, however I do admit it IS worth the price in taste, but my wallet can't take much more!

08-16-2010 22:39:34 | More by mtcarr88
NoSignsOfPain

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours dark; like a liquid dark chocolate bar (pretty opaque in nature in which you're unable to see light penetrate through)-- the head is a creamy tan color with good retention

S: Earthy oats with chocolate undertones

T/M: Tastes like it smells; bitter chocolate with a smooth mouth feel-- molasses-like even. Covered my palate really well.

O: Paired extremely well with some dark chocolate almonds I was eating with; great dessert drink that's for sure. My uncle asked me whose drink *this* was; I offered a taste; he said it was good; I offered the rest to him and he took me up on my offer. Good stuff!

03-27-2011 01:48:53 | More by NoSignsOfPain
Michelle1069

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Chocolate + Beer, does it get any better than that! This beer is easy to drink, very smooth. For me there was no bitter after taste. By the end of the beer it did get warm and was not as tasty as it was first opened, nice and cold. I do like Stouts a little heavier than this one. But all in all I very much enjoyed it and would buy it anytime!

02-26-2011 14:31:51 | More by Michelle1069
Shadowzz4

Tennessee

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance- Pours dark as cola syrup out of the bottle. Put right up to a halogen bulb its hue is impenetrable. If you dont watch what your doing you could end up with a 5 inch head.

Smell- The smell of this beer is probably its best attribute, caramel, cream and chocolate come across quick and smooth.

Taste- The taste is the same as the smell with this beer, except it comes through very quickly, as if a massively complex array of malty chocolate flavors are packed into a microsecond, after which those flavors quickly give way to a bitterness that remains.

Overall- This beer smells like... heaven... I mean the delicate balance of malt, sugar and creamy chocolate is incredible. However, the taste of the beer is comparatively average in my opinion. All that wonderful flavor is overwhelmed with a bit too much bite for my taste. The Hazelnut Brown Nectar is the exact opposite, not as rich or full of a smell, but a much smoother finish. Id recommend that over the chocolate stout any day.

01-07-2012 22:59:35 | More by Shadowzz4