Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a nice black stout with a nice brown head.

This stout smells great. Cocoa, chocolate, roasted malts. I sat down to drink this, expecting to drink it alone. My wife (a wheat beer lover) smelled it decided to drink some with me. She never drinks stouts, but I guess that says a lot for the aroma of this beer.

The taste is very much like the nose. Great chocolate taste with roasted malts and a little coffee at the end.

I think the body is just right for a chocolate stout. Not too thin but not too rich with just enough carbonation.

The chocolate is more of a dark chocolate and not too sweet. I found that this added to the drinkability. I could have finished another bottle if I had another on hand.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Poured from a bomber into a delirium glass, figured I would take this one slow seeing as it's a stout.... Think black color, nearly opaque, with slight head.

S - Holy chocolate! A little but of hops and malt as well, but I guess I should expect the chocolate, right?

T - And again, holy chocolate! I don't think I have ever had a beer this chocolaty, but wow, is it good! Thick, smooth, and a little sweet. Very unlike most stouts in the sweetness upfront, very little hops and malt that I can detect.

M - High amount of carbonation for a stout, and incredibly smooth.

O - Wow! I am very impressed with this beer. Everything about it is excellent. I can see how any hop-head would find this disappointing due it's it's slight break from the style (less hoppy, less boozy), but can't wait to drink another bottle. I usually have trouble finishing a bomber of stout by myself, but i have no issues with this one.

3.9/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

S - chocolates, right away you smell it. None of the hoppy or alcohol aroma.
A - black, two fingers tan head that slowly disappears and with minimal lacing.
T - hoppy flavor right away with chocolates, and oats, Like bitter chocolates
M - medium bodied, not as creamy as I hoped for although it is smooth. Bitterness lingers from start to finish.
D - i like this beer because of the chocolates, but I still love my imperial stouts.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass

A. dark black. pours a finger of coffee-tinted head. creamy lacing.

S. milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. undertones of vanilla.

T. bitter chocolate. roasted malts. notable hop presence.

M. Medium body. The roasted malts fill it out. well carbonated. smooth finish.

O. powerful stout. the chocolate is overwhelming in a good way. pretty low abv for a stout with this much flavor, but that's okay. sweet and roasty. would have again.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

4.94/5  rDev +19%

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

Wow what a great lookin beer, black as the night with a chocolate colored head. Lots of lacing and the head stays for a while (shared with my friend, his pour's head was a lot less though and left quicker)

smells like a dark chocolate and hops. Very sweet and appealing.
It taste's amazing. Very balanced with mostly dark chocolate and coffee notes. There's also a slight bitterness and alcohol in the finish (but it compliments it very well).

mouthfeel is nice but not as thick as I thought it might be considering it's a very dark stout.
I couldn't drink too much of this mostly considering the price. However, if it was free i'd drink it all day long.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber last night at the end of a very long day. And what a night cap it was. The stout poured very thick with about one finger's worth of head and an aroma that was ever so soothing to my sniffer.
The chocolate flavor in this brew was excellent! I enjoyed every sip of it as the night continued to wind down.
If anyone enjoys a good smooth cigar with a great beer, Rogue's Chocolate Stout might just be the perfect pair.
I will most definitely enjoy this beer again and again.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a couple bombers....poured into a pint glass..

A=was great, huge milk chocolate looking head deep brown almost black color.

S=smelled of roasted malts and dark chocolate.

T=Roasted hops almost burnt flavor up front, fallowed by a nice dark chocolate that really sets this beer apart! loved it.

M-mouth feel was great I cant stop drinking this. roasted malts and chocolate flavor are great.

D=A+ on drinkability, I absolutely love it easy going down, not filling, looks heavy and surprisingly is not, taste wonderful, excellent beer all around!

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Pours as black as night with a towering tan head. It also left a good amount of tan lacing.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and some roasted malts. Mostly chocolate though.

T- Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. There is some oats at first, but it's predominately chocolate. I also picked up a nice kick of hops at the end that balanced it out nicely.

M- It's a pretty medium bodied beer. I've had heavier stouts before, which I prefer, but this had a nice mouthfeel. I thought it was a little thin at the end, but nothing to complain about.

D- I had this beer for dessert, and I recommend it for that. It would pair nicely with a very dark chocolate, which I really wish I had on hand. It's an easy drinking beer and the ABV isn't too strong at 6%. I very much enjoyed it.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Fairly aggressive pour.

First impression, great dark color. Huge head - maybe half the glass.. Had to let sit for a few minutes to even begin to sip it.

Scent was definitely sweet chocolate. First taste was a slightly dry, nicely roasted flavor. Chocolate was very prevalent.

Very coating in the mouth. Subtle if you're just looking for chocolate. More complex if you really try to taste it. Hints of coffee/espresso. Nice long finish with a mild spice at the end. almost an aftertaste of coconut for just a moment before the finish kicks in. A little bit of a dry beer.

Biggest sell was the scent. Flavor held up to it, though. A little think in the mouth.

I could definitely imagine this with a thick fudge brownie or some vanilla ice cream.

I'll definitely drink this one again in the future.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in pint glass.

Pours pitch black, with a thick, creamy mocha head. Retention is excellent with very thick lacing.

Hints of rich, smooth dark chocolate are immediately discernible, followed by hints of carob and raw cacao.

Roasty, smoky dark chocolate flavors are most prominent. A sweet, powdery cocoa-like flavor backs up the darker chocolate. Subtle notes of coffee and fig are also present. Smooth, slightly dry, clean finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and very smooth, with mild carbonation. Delicious on the palate. A heartier presence was expected.

Very delicious. I imagine, with chocolate cheesecake or chocolate brulee, it would make for a most decadent dessert.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottled into Victorian pint glass. No freshness date.

A: Black with a thick mocha-colored head that doesn't budge for a while. Sturdy foam lacing plants itself to the side of the glass. I'm looking forward to this.

S: Milk chocolate & dark chocolate. First whiff does not smell like beer at all. I'm expecting to taste a milkshake. A cafe au lait aroma becomes evident as it warms.

T: A taste that develops itself for quite some time. Chocolate flavoring is obvious upfront, along with a roasted malt character. An initial touch of oats is present as well. The milk chocolate flavor turns to dark chocolate as it lingers on the taste buds. The hops slowly reveal themselves in the aftertaste with a faint tingling which grows to become a little more bitter than I would have expected. There's a bit of chalkiness, like powdered chocolate in the end, too. It's bitter-sweet, to be sure, but a little to much of each for my tastes.

M: Relatively thin mouthfeel for a stout, but a good amount of carbonation.

D: The addition of natural chocolate flavorings is a nice touch, but feels unnecessary. I do have a sweet tooth, but I can't imagine pairing this with a dessert (like the bottle suggests)... that would just be sweetness overload. This a beer best enjoyed by itself. I would actually be happy splitting the bomber with someone else. However, those that like very bold, assertive beers will be pleased.

Not my favorite stout, or Rogue beer for that matter, but I have deep respect for Rogue for always taking risks and being creative with their brews.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales