Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Hmm.

A * Poured into a simple pint glass. Dark, dark in pour, dark in the cup. Zero transperancy. Light brown head that dwindles down to nothing across the surface, light stickyness of head wedged in the corner where the beer meets the cup. Lacing is thin lines but plentiful all the way around the cup.

S * Wow. Smells wonderful. Smells like walking into a fine chocolate shop. Dark chocolate, malt, coffee, and molasses.

T * I'm confused here. I don't pick up any hops in the nose but they are very prominent, almost too bitter for what I'm prepared for. I am expecting dark chocolate and malt, which are there, but the taste is overwhelmed with hop bitterness, almost soured in combination with the other flavors. Reminiscent of old coffee. I'm wondering if this bottle has been sitting under the lights too long.

M * Smooth, kinda creamy, over-carbonated. I'm immediately hit with an odd sour bitterness in the back of my tongue which is throwing off any potential it has for a good creamy mouthfeel.

D/Overall * I'm disappointed. I'm kinda worried this was an old bottle that was sitting for too long. I got it for $4.99 which around here is an amazing price for a Rogue 22oz, generally they're $6.99. I will try this again, but not until I find it on tap.

inxy, Jan 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

22OZ. bottle poured into a 24oz beer mug. Bottle was bought at local Krogers for 5.49+tax. 6.0 % ABV.

Apperence- very dark brown pretty much black, nice creamy looking brown head.

Smell- Smells of Chocolate,Roasted Malts, sweetness.

Taste- More of a dark chocolate then milk, little coffee, roasted malts, a little bit bitter but still tastes really good.

Mouthfeel- This is a smooth creamy medium bodied
beer.

Drinkabilty- I would say anyone could drink this beer, the sweetness may only allow some to drink a single serving of it but on taste alone, you would want to drink alot more.

Overall This is one of my all time favorite beers
I have said before in other reviews that Rogue is one of my favorite brewers out there and this is one, if not their best. I buy this beer often and its a great choice if you just want a good beer or are enjoying it with your desert. Thanks!

wvu9787, Oct 23, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured into a standard pilsner glass.

A: Pours a jet black with a hue on the bottom where light barely gets through of the darkest brown possible. there is a 2 finger foamy/bubbly head that goes down after about a minute or two but does retain a small half finger of bubbly head for a few more minutes. Minimal lacing, but some circulated throughout the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, like sticking your nose in a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Rather pleasant.

T: Dark chocolate. Sweet but a tad bitter, like dark chocolate. It is a nice tasting stout that is dominant in the chocolate taste of course, but tastes like a stout nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: pretty full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth like a stout should be but heavier than anything i would call medium bodied.

O: I am not overly impressed with the stout. It is a nice chocolate stout, a sweet smell and dark chocolate taste provides some complexity and uniqueness, but it lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on. I just didn't love it and I would consider it a tad overrated given the scores on this site, but I would recommend giving it a try for sure.

frogships, Feb 22, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Dark with a slight brown hue, rich. excellent lacing, excellent head

S: Smells faintly of dark chocolate and all spice.

T: When I think chocolate stout, this is what I want. An great balance between dark chocolate and malty beer flavors. It has a little coffee and almost a little burnt sugar taste too it, but not enough to throw off the chocolate/stout combo -instead it adds a bit of depth. Perfection

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, rich, excellent

Overall: For it's style I can't think of any way this beer could be better so full marks. While not exactly inexpensive at $6.50 for 650ml it is worth every penny. If you love darker beers and/or chocolate you will love this beer. If you want a hoppy beer, look elsewhere -that isn't what this style or stouts in general are about. I'm going to have to add this to my list of favorite beers without a doubt.

Favorite beers (for comparison, after all taste preferences are subjective): Elysian's Daedalus Irish Stout, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Allagash's White Ale, New Belgium's 1554, Full Sail's Wassail, etc. Beer styles I don't like: IPAs (with few exceptions)

GordonofSeattle, May 10, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Pilsgrimage, Mar 24, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Jet Black with a nice one and a half finger high dark khaki/cappuccino colored head.
Smell: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
Taste: Chocolate, bitter coffee, and more chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not at thick as it's dark color would suggest. Medium carbonation.
Overall: A good beer, one that I will be buying again in the near future.

gtcastle, Nov 10, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Baked-Goods, Aug 01, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour produced a jet-black beer with a dense and frothy brown head. The aroma was strong and extremely complex: Dark chocolate was the most obvious, and so assertive it made my mouth water a little for want of a Hershey's bar. I also detected roasted grains and some "earthiness" that was in the background, perhaps some other character lent by the chocolate. Subtle hints of alcohol rounded out the aroma.

The roasted grains and chocolate flavors complement eachother perfectly. Roasted barley creeps up in the aftertaste and stays there. This beer is also rather bitter, both from the hops and the dark grains. Substantial fruitiness appears as the beer warms up. I detected a little bit of oxidation but it doesn't harm the overall impression. Just a little too carbonated for my tastes. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. The silkiness on my tongue makes me believe this beer was brewed with oats.

Final impression: An outstanding beer! I really loved how the character changed as the beer went from fridge to near-room temperatures. I must always have a few bottles of this stuff around.

MikeWilson, Jul 26, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 22oz silkscreened bottle and split with a friend. Appearance is black with no chance of light penetrating the beer. Thick tan head that maintains itself until the beer is gone. Smell is dark roasted malt with a load of dark chocolate. Some coffee hints as well. Taste is heavenly. Evenly balanced dark malts with bitter chocolate combine to form a nearly perfect beer. Coffee and blackened malt hints creep in as well. Mouthfeel is thick but very palateable. Drinkability is also way up there, I could have glass after glass of this. Overall, one of the best beers that I have ever had.

Zoh, Sep 20, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Pours nice and thick with a creamy tan to brown head 1" to 1 1-2" thick. Bubbles in head are midsize and dissipate within a few minutes. Very little lace.

Smells: Roasted malts and chocolate and more chocolate. Thats all I have to say about that.

Taste: Chocolate is very nice. Not too bitter and not too sweet. I think this is very well balanced. A little hint of hops at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a semi-sweet chocolate taste that coats the tongue and fades to a pleasant bitterness.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this stout. I do not have access to many chocolate stouts in my area but I think this Rogue is great. I will definately buy this one again and again and again. I will probably enjoy this after a meal since I like sweets after I eat. I can kill two birds with one stone. An after dinner beer and sweet desert.

MaGno, Feb 20, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

I poured this lovely concoction into a pint glass. Dark chocolate black with a small head that looked like the foam that would be on top of an expresso.

The smell was a deep dark chocolate. As i drank more the glass allowed the odors to concentrate in the glass. Smells of caramel, chocolate and pecan started to develop. I love pecan pie, and these scents really stood out to me. (the next time i drink this beer i will do so from a tulip, or only fill the glass 1/2 full in order to get the full effect).

Taste was like a dessert in a bottle. Rich and chocolaty, with some hops bite in the swallow.

Mouthfeel was world class. Smooth and velvety. I found myself swishing this one around.

Good drinkability, but i think this beer is better savored than guzzled, so this area doesn't really apply to me.

All in a all an outstanding beverage that is truly a dessert in a bottle.

Drufus, Jan 26, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer I tried last night is awesome.
I believe it is only sold on draft in my state of Alabama.
It is nearly a black beer but a slight brown hue in the light.
The smell was very nice. true chocolate smell with a hint of coffee. The taste was also very drinkable. I knocked this one out fairly quick. Sweet with just the amount of bitterness to kill off alcohol taste. warm loving mouthfeel to it. I dont think texture in a brew can get much better. again this beer is very drinkable smooth finishing beer loved it.
Beau of Bama

LestatSabastian, Jun 25, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

650 ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.
Sight: Black hole-like darkness. Tan head with large bubbles that made a full three inches on a calm pour. Excellent lacing that stuck and measured my progress better than I could.

Smell: Roasted malt with chocolate overtones. It wasn't just bitter chocolate, but truly sweet chocolate as well. This is the downright sweetest (in classic terms) beer I've ever smelled.

Taste: Dry at first, like a good stout, then the flavor swirls in your mouth and the chocolate comes rushing out. The flavor was sweet without going too far. The finish was bitter with coffee and traditional chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, not overly carbonated and very nice going down.

Drinkability: I drank 650 ml. and could have had more. However, such good desert beers usually follow a nice meal, and this one was no exception. But I had three glasses, so I'd rate this high as stouts go.

Overall: Very pleased with this one. As I see it, the gold standard for chocolate stouts is Young's brew. Without having a bottle of Young's Double here with me, I can't make specific comparisons, but I'd rank Rogue's concoction right up there.

mdquigley, Sep 09, 2009

Someone, Nov 15, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

TommyD335, Oct 12, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Khr03, Aug 09, 2014

Ourbrew, Aug 05, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz silk-screened bomber (with specs about the beer but no freshness date) my wife picked up for me in Ohio. Thanks, hon!

Starts black with a nice thick tan head which dissipates pretty quickly (after a fairly slow pour). Smells slightly of roasted malts and chocolate. Taste is a wonderful bittersweet chocolate with a rounded malt (roast bitterness and sweetness) backing. Finishes fairly bitter. Nice soft mousy mouthfeel.

This is one I wish I could find more often. Very tasty on its own, but would probably go very well with cocolate cake, brownies or ice cream... Or all of the above.

AJPainter, Sep 03, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A dark opaque black with a dark brown head, this beer smells like coffee, with hints of roasted almonds and of course chocolate. Tastes of dark, bitter chocolate with coffee and a nice smooth malt finish.

Beer and Chocolate, what could be better together?!

matchz, Dec 29, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Rogue Chocolate Stout is one of the few top-notch readily available beers here in Mississippi. I guess I've taken this stuff for granted and I owe it a review.

Pours jet black with a nice 3/4" head that never dissipates.

Amazingly, this beer smells of chocolate. Yes, believe the other 1000+ reviews.

Delicious. I'm not pairing this with a dessert, this is dessert. I'm tasting dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and maybe even a little coffee bean on the long finish.

This is one very rich and filling stout. One bottle is just right.

phil7568, Dec 18, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland.

BusyNinja, Mar 04, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Deep black, nearly opaque with a burnt tan head that hangs around a little while.

S: Smeels of cacao, chocolate malts, roasted barley, maybe a little toffee.

T: Carbonation at first, but once it settles in the glass, fine dark chocolate, roasted grains, toffee and caramel, bitter with just enough sweetness to balance it out. Bitterness comes from the chocolate as much as the hops, which are present but subtle. Nice creamy finish.

M: Carbonation and cream.

D: Easy to drink one, but not two.

Overall: So far my favorite chocolate stout. Seems like it would go equally well with a uicy pok roast or a sweet dessert. Everything in this brew is so well-balanced. Top notch stout.

kyleec, Jul 04, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

pvllbum, Mar 08, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance- Dark, very dark, foamy brown head, maybe a little too foamy

Smell- A coffee/chocolate blend, nutty and smoky notes too

Taste- Coffee and chocolate obviously but also a roasty nutty finish

Mouthfeel- Heavy, thick, syrupy but still smooth

Drinkability- Very tasty. This was suggested to me after I couldn't find a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and I was very satisfied. I would definitely have another. But it is heavy and filling so be prepared.

rregan, Oct 10, 2008