Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

Syr, Feb 27, 2012

Lebowskied, Mar 06, 2014
4.89/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me!

phunkychickita, May 20, 2013

bcwilley07, Nov 08, 2013
4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Calvarro, Oct 15, 2014

maguire1330, Oct 18, 2014

Probably one of my all time favorite stouts.
A: Poured a dark brown/black with a half inch of mocha colored head.
S: Really nice. Chocolate, oats, dark roasted malts, a little bit of hoppiness.
T: Chocolate, lots of chocolate, bittersweet malt, and some hoppy flavor from the cascades. (kind of reminded me of a toned down IPA.)
M: Feels good. Nice carbonation and a smooth creamy feeling to it.
D: One would be plenty, but I could go for another.

thagens, Dec 29, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer is black in color with a dark tan head. The initial aroma is roast, giving way to a subtle chocolate aroma. The roast dominates the aroma. The flavor again is dominated with the roast. The hop aroma and flavor are subdued and hidden by the roast. I can barely perceive any chocolate flavor.

I prefer to have a balance of flavors in my beers. While a very good, and well crafted stout, I could barely perceive chocolate flavors and aromas.

brewmaster411, Sep 02, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Best stout ive had to this day. When i saw this and it was called chocolate stout i thought sure no beer can taste like chocolate and be good. I was wrong. This beer pours like crude oil looks like dark chocolate and tastes like guess what? chocolate. and its wonderful. dont get me wrong you can tell the difference between this and a chocolate milk. You take your everyday coffee hinted stout give it rogue quality and add a bit more than a hint of chocolate and here we are. this stuff is way ahead of guinness in my book. doesnt have the slightest flat waterdown taste that you expect with an average stout. Very filling ive had a few 22s of the stuff and cant wait to get more. pace yourself and enjoy this one

calebmills, Apr 23, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

A- Very dark, not transluncent at all. Decent tan head that diminishes to leave nice lacing

S - Dark chocolate and perhaps slightly of oats

T - Dark chocolate, roasted malts, slight oatmeal, finishes a little bitter

M - Slight carbonation but very smooth, medium body that finishes a little watery

D - Average, this stout has a very strong flavor of dark chocolate that although pleasant would likely weigh on me if I tried to drink more than 1 bomber.

PhilfromPA, Apr 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle poured into a shaker glass

Appearance and Smell - black body with a very slight hint of ruby around the bottom edge with a very tan to light brown head that is pretty pillowy and lasts a while. smell is very strong of chocolate with roasted malt in there.

Taste and Mouth - chocolate is easily the most dominate flavor here. it has a nice roasty bitter finish. i personally like my stouts on the thicker side and this is thin for what i expected. carbonation is good for a stout.

Drinkability - very good i go back sip after sip. this is defintely a good dessert beer.

Notes - over all i really like this beer. i wish there was more of a thick, oatmeal type mouthfeel but thats just my personal preference when it comes to stout.

Rguardian989, Jun 28, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -27%

Hmm.

A * Poured into a simple pint glass. Dark, dark in pour, dark in the cup. Zero transperancy. Light brown head that dwindles down to nothing across the surface, light stickyness of head wedged in the corner where the beer meets the cup. Lacing is thin lines but plentiful all the way around the cup.

S * Wow. Smells wonderful. Smells like walking into a fine chocolate shop. Dark chocolate, malt, coffee, and molasses.

T * I'm confused here. I don't pick up any hops in the nose but they are very prominent, almost too bitter for what I'm prepared for. I am expecting dark chocolate and malt, which are there, but the taste is overwhelmed with hop bitterness, almost soured in combination with the other flavors. Reminiscent of old coffee. I'm wondering if this bottle has been sitting under the lights too long.

M * Smooth, kinda creamy, over-carbonated. I'm immediately hit with an odd sour bitterness in the back of my tongue which is throwing off any potential it has for a good creamy mouthfeel.

D/Overall * I'm disappointed. I'm kinda worried this was an old bottle that was sitting for too long. I got it for $4.99 which around here is an amazing price for a Rogue 22oz, generally they're $6.99. I will try this again, but not until I find it on tap.

inxy, Jan 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

22oz bottle poured into my Cigar City tulip

A: Solid jet black with a perfect head

S: Whoa Cocoa Powder!

T: Heavy roasted malt flavors with serious cocoa powder finish.

M: Thick bodied. Very creamy and smooth as well.

D: The cocoa is so intense in this beer. Reminds me of drinking chocolate milk as a kid.

Overall I'm digging this although I don't think it's the best American Stout I've ever had. I would recommend and I would drink again.

sdderek, Feb 05, 2011

Lissette, Apr 07, 2014

subtledream, Feb 08, 2012

22 oz bottle poured into frosted pint

A: The epitome of how a stout should look! It pours a jet black body with a 2+ finger head.

S: Chocolate is predominant in the nose with a hint of roasted coffee. a well inviting smell.

T: As expected, Chocolate is the dominating force here. I must admit, I was expecting a sweeter chocolate than what was offered. The chocolate has a distinct bitterness to it that works very well. The more you drink this stout, the more the bitterness turns to a semi-sweet chocolate.

M: Minimal carbonation in this medium plus bodied stout. No worries as the chewiness of this desert stout pleases the mouth.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout! The initial bitterness fades away as you drink and semi-sweet chocolate is a wonderful parting gift. A very enjoyable stout indeed! The best chocolate stout hands down. Highly recommend.

ncredible1, Sep 18, 2010

MutatedZombieRat, Jan 22, 2013

czeiders12, Dec 07, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

cmeroles22, Jan 12, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

KeithVan, Mar 18, 2013
3.59/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle.

A- pours very well. Nice deep black with a dark khaki head. IMHO there's not a huge variation between many stouts. they tend to have the same color..only difference is in the head and lacing if any.

S-Smells of dark malts, chocolate (more prominent as the beer warms), and definitely a strong aroma of grassy hops.

T-This is a very hoppy beer. someone else mentioned that it's not a real chocolate stout..it's an IPA/Chocolate stout hybrid, and i would say it's a fair assessment. The hops jump out at you from the start. The chocolate is more in the finish and the bitterness of the dark chocolate smooths out the hoppiness somehow. This is not my idea of a chocolate stout but it does work somewhat well considerably how heavily hopped it is.

M- Seems like there's a quite bit of carbonation in it. Medium mouthfeel. the carbonation makes it harder to drink

O - This beer seems really overrated, partially because i tend to think BA is in love with hoppy beers non matter what the style and partially because of Rogue's reputation for good brews. This is not even in my top 5 of chocolate stouts and not in my top of 10 stouts. I like hops in an IPA, not my chocolate stouts.

Swedgin_Wu, Mar 25, 2013