1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

ChoqlitStout, Jan 20, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

brianandpiper, Feb 02, 2011

TurtleCove, May 09, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +7%

I had this a couple nights ago and lost my notes, thanks to a couple 90 minute IPAs.

A. The first thing that I noticed as I poured this into the snifter the bar provided was that it was difficult to see through even as it was coming out of the bottle. It was as black as dark chocolate with a hint of brown (although that may have been the lighting).

S. There was nothing remarkable in the smell except the chocolate coming through.

T. Chocolate. Chocolate malts. Chocolate candies. Chocolate bars. It started heavy on chocolate, had a slight bitterness to the middle, and finished strong dark chocolate. Too bitter for a buddy of mine, but the bitterness isn't what stands out.

M. I'm surprised at how light the body to this was after pouring it. I was expecting (and almost wanting) a much thicker beer, but alas this was medium bodied and smooth.

D. The drinkability is frightening. Not even being a chocolate person (I don't like coffee either, but I love good Imperial Stouts), I easily could have gone through a second 22 oz. bottle if the bar hadn't served me the last one.

Lintyfresh, Jul 31, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

This is bar far the best stout I have had, and everywhere I go I make an attempt to try any stout I find. The beer pours up with a monstrous tan head, maybe 2-3 fingers, with a pitch black body. The mouth feel is very creamy like, fairly thick but good. Taste is what you would expect, dark chocolate, coffee, the smokey aftertaste, not too much though. I have had many "chocolate stout" beers and this one is one the the few I have had that really has the feel taste of chocolate. Overall this beer is one of my go to stouts anytime, awesome beer!

SenkoSnack808, Feb 24, 2011

ttttrrrrtttt, May 31, 2012

ChunkyGravy, Sep 13, 2012

Nuggetnectarfan, Jan 07, 2012

Yankee, May 31, 2014

ansebundren, Aug 01, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

After seeing how highly rated this offering was, I had to try one. My only other experience with chocolate stouts was Young's, which I enjoyed a lot.

poured out pitch black with a very dark brown head that didn't really last very long and also did little in the way of lacing. It still freaks my neighbors out when they see me drinking something that resembles motor oil and I call it "beer".

It smelled much like a chocolate stout should. Kind of a toasted chocolate combination.

Not as sweet as I was expecting, definitely not as sweet as Youngs, and a bit more bitter as well. It had a definite hop flavor toward the end as well.

it seemed a bit thin to me, not as thick and creamy as I would have liked, but not bad at all.

I can see me drinking this once in a while, but probably not on a too regular basis.

DieselSnorter, Oct 21, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow what a surprise to try this Chocolate craft ale! It is quite similar to some interesting desert ales that I tried in Prague once.
a - dark with nice foam
s- here is where you get salivating. It is quite a chocolaty aroma.
t- bold, flavourful and rich
a- leaves you with a nice feeling afterward.

This would be something you would serve at the end of the night after dinner. I probably would serve this to newbies on holiday events.

chipachu2, Dec 28, 2008

evankeeling, Nov 28, 2011

Neverwhere, Jun 09, 2013

duswdav, Aug 15, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Beautiful dark/rich color coming out of the bottle with about 1 - 1.5" creamy head. The chocolate/coffee like aroma is strong but not overbearing. As soon as you take your first sip, the thick texture fills your mouth and the great flavors follow. Strong chocolate malty flavors that are really fulfilling.

I only had Pale Ales & IPAs in my fridge and I was filling something thicker. I went out to get this and it is really satisfying my palate right about now. Not the first or last time I will have this great beer.

ssalgado, Jul 24, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

This was my first Stout experience. Wow just a good good beer. The chocolate was a pleasent suprise, not too overpowering, but the way this brewer incorporates the sweet with the dark and full flavor is amazing. It is a strong beer, but the chocolate and carmel hints make it a truely unique experience.

Rumplemintz, Dec 09, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

A - Excellent 3 Finger head, light brown/caramel color. Dark opaque black appearance. This is what a stout should look like.

S - Rich Chocolate malt, slight caramel hint as well.

T - Wow. Just how it should be. sweet dark chocolate taste accompanied by subtle hop bitterness. this beer really stands out of the competition.

M - Creamy goodness. light carbonation makes it impressively smooth and coats the pallet well.

O - I have had better stouts. but as far as a chocolate stout, this is coming up first. the amount of chocolate used was perfect and allowed the beer stay true to what a stout is all about.

Bottle poured into pint glass.

zakyj, Dec 26, 2011

sag5085, Jan 14, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

LuCam, Aug 26, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pitch black in appearance, it has a small but continuing head. Upon smelling, a roasty cocoa aroma is quite evident. The chocolate was pleasant, went well with the roasted notes, but was not overwelming. This beer has strong bitterness that does not dominate, but works well with the roasty chocolate flavors. There is a pleasant finish. A very drinkable stout!

Holden, Apr 04, 2004