Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

First time trying the Rogue Chocolate Stout, and it is one of the better stout out there. It has a bit of a bitter-chocolate taste, though I wished it had a bit more sweetness to the taste (personal preference). The beer pours a dark brown with a generous light brown head that laces very nicely. I can't wait to purchase another bottle!

zackmoney, Mar 14, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Reviewed from notes taken this August in New Orleans- picked up a bottle from Whole Foods as I'm always down to try a Rogue offering I can't get at home. Cracked the bottle open, welcomed the ghost smoke with eager nostrils.

A: Pours like a luscious syrup. Has a sheen to it from all the oily chocolate goodness. A beer that truly builds anticipation as the head slowly rises. Head is sticky and thick.

S: Oh man, in a word, great. Real rich chocolate smell, not like the obvious extracts used in many chocolate flavored brews.

T: I will not give many 5's as I understand a 5 literally means flawless, 0% chance of improving, etc. but this is the most perfect tasting chocolate stout I've ever had. The fact that it's made with real chocolate is blatantly apparent. So rich, so smooth. And that after taste: pure truffles. Absolutely amazing.

M: Almost a syrup. Oily with chocolate alkaloids. A true joy to drink.

This is quite simply the best use of chocolate I have ever experienced in a beer. Will buy anytime I see it.

Snorlax, Sep 07, 2011

TurnpikeCraftBeer, Nov 12, 2013

Jc0p, Jul 05, 2014
4.12/5  rDev -1%

Calvarro, Oct 15, 2014

Holy sweet mother of God...this is the finest beer I've had.
The color is borderline black..deep and beautiful. The head is caramel-colored but doesn't last long...the scent is a fantastic combo of chocolate with the slightest hint of coffee (or toffee?)...
The taste is what blows me away....sweet, yet still has the strong "stout" feel to it. I give this beer the highest ratings I possibly can.

PudTinkler, May 19, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Deepest black, with noticable bubbles and a thin but persistent, lusciously brown head.

Smell: Dark and heavy malt, chocolate. Not a significant amount of hops, "just" dark chocolate.

Taste: The chocolate dominates everything else. There's some maltiness, certainly, and while there are certainly some bittering hops (69 IBU worth, according to the bottle), I don't taste much hop flavor in the citrusy / piney register. The malt and hops support the chocolate, rather than complement it. Other reviews mention some spices (especially comparing it to Mexican drinking chocolate), but I don't taste them.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not smotheringly malty. Rather drinkable, actually, a bit thick but not satiating.

Overall: Definately worth trying. The chocolate flavor is good, though it did come off a little one-dimensional. Nonetheless, highly drinkable.

trouserbat, Apr 17, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Looks like liquified chocolate cake. Thick pour, deep black in color with minimal head. Poured from 22oz bottle at room temperature.

S: I think I took more time smelling this brew than drinking it. Fantastic bitter chocolate aromas mixed with strong coffee scents and roasted malt. Just great.

T: Again, great. Bitter chocolate (like baking chocolate) truffles, coffee. More sweet than bitter overall. I think I need another for more research :)

M: Only area that came up a little short for me. I expected a much thicker, creamier feel to compliment the taste. Not bad at all but should be richer.

D: One did it for me. Would be great after dinner to finish things off.

Overall I enjoyed this stout quite a bit but I wouldn't break it out all the time. My first Rogue offering.

mstudley, Jul 18, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pretty, creamy, light brown head that needs some agitation to get going. The nose of roasted malt and chocolate is simple but elegant. Taste is reminiscent of the nose. Nothing complex... roasted malt and chocolate, but extremely intense. Bigger hop flavor that I expected from this style, but not a lot of bitterness. Tastes dry hopped but probably isn't. Thinner mouthfeel than I expected, but I think that works in its favor. Still a little mouth-coating creaminess, presumably from the oats, which gives it some richness. Carbonation is appropriate and its drinkability is good.

I can't say this beer is anything particularly innovative, but it is intense and delicious. Everything about it seems "correct."

jeremyn, Mar 22, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it

Jackinape, May 04, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The Rogue Chocolate Stout was presented in a brown bomber and poured into a Guinness beer mug.

Appearance: It pours extremely dark and forms a great big coffee colored head that takes a while to settle, and leaves lacing.

Smell: Lots of chocolate w/ hints of cream and hops.

Taste: The first taste is some nice bitter hops, and then it settles with a hint of chocolate that stays around for a while.

Feel: Coats the mouth with a buttery sensation and ends crisp and carbonated.

Notes: This is a tasty stout that I wouldn't mind enjoying after a good meal.

PvtVile, Sep 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A: This beer is dark black with a nice brown head.
S: You can immediately smell the chocolate with some roasted malt.
T: It tastes like roasted malt and chocolate. It's not too sweet like some other chocolate beers and not very hoppy.
M: It's not too thick and syrupy like you might expect after pouring it. It has a pleasant medium body and good carbonation.
D: This beer is easy to drink as long as you like chocolate. It's not all that strong either so if you like stouts this is a good one to drink. It would be great with dessert.

ahoverton, Jul 29, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A:Extremely dark brown a shade from black, lightly carbonated,1 finger head lacking retention

S:Heavy chocolatey smell reminsce of a tootsie roll overpowers

T:Dark chocolate where the cocoa really comes through, leafy hops with mellow roasted malt;fairly sweet but with slight bitter edge to offset it

M:Light,Thin, and Slightly Coarse

D:Very palatable,pleasant chocolate taste well balanced by the spunky hops and smooth malt.

It was a straight forward enjoyable beer that I enjoyed trying. I couldn't see making a very good session drink, though as a chocolate stout I'm not sure that it's meant to be.I would recommend this as a dinner or desert accoutrement as opposed to a strong standalone beer.

Psydrith, Jan 17, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

a: nice dark color with a creamy chocolate colored head

s: slight roastiness and chocolate

t: milk chocolate up front which turned into a nice roasty flavor towards the end.

m: not too heavy, medium body and creamy

d: went down smooth. I had a 22oz bottle and it was gone before I knew. Definitely a beer that could get you in trouble if you don't pay attention. :)

MikeyMisfit, Oct 25, 2010

matt850t, Dec 02, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

jongoesboom, Jul 18, 2013

fwrubel, May 08, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Dark, silky looking, two fingers of thick brown head. It takes several minutes for the head to subside, but a residual "slick" of head stays on the top. As you drink, head-like residue coats the side you are not sipping.

S - The smell came in waves for me. First I smelled bitter unsweetened chocolate, followed by a sweet smell that reminded me of thick drinking cocoa, and finished with a slight burn of alcohol.

T - Starts out slightly bitter, which is quickly overpowered by slightly sweet chocolate (not too sweet for a beer though), then slowly fades to a perfect bitter.

M - It starts out with slight carbonation, and goes down silky smooth like 2% milk.

Josh, Feb 28, 2012