Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
26.75º L

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Santa's Private Reserve Ale Alström Bros

Alpha309, Today at 02:35 AM

jazzer, Wednesday at 04:20 AM

voider, Tuesday at 04:46 AM
3.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer for a little while now and when I saw it i thought I should take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy orange amber color that took on more of a ruby amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy and bubbly tan head that died down down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patching rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart some citrus rind and floral hops aromas with some earthy and grassy hops showing up in the aroma. Up next comes some of that pacman yeast that kind of has a distinctive aroma and it's followed by the malts which impart a slightly grainy, bready, light sweet malt and doughy aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, it had good balance between the malts and the hops.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops showing up first and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there's no single aspect that sticks out the most. Up next comes the pacman yeast that leads right into the malts which impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the doughy malts seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just a little into the aftertaste along with some doughy malt and earthy hop flavors. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, it was very true to style and the balance was nice.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a good example of the style it had pretty much everything that I look for in the style along with the nice balance that I expect from a good Red Ale. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these and I think it makes for a nice change from the typical Winter Warmers. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style it was and the balance, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that more of those citrus rind hop aspects that I got in the aroma showed up in the taste. I would buy this beer again and I'm pretty sure I'll get a couple bottles when it's released next year. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Red Ales, it does a good job at representing the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, there was nothing fancy about it, it was just a good and straightforward Red Ale and I enjoyed drinking it. It's up there as one of the better Rouge beers I've had and I think it's above average for the style. Good job guys this was a tasty Red Ale, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Tuesday at 04:28 AM
4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, its got a 2 finger thick off-white head with secular lacing, and a clear rather dark amber body.

I can smell slight "spruciness" mentioned on the label, along with west coast style of hops(grapefruit-like), and caramelized malts. Interesting...

The taste here is pretty much a mirror image of the scent, albeit more hop than spruce. But JUST enough to my palate before it would need to enter pale ale territory. The caramelized malts are a great backbone to everything else going on with this beer. Very well done job!

Mouthfeel I've got going on is smooth with just a passing minute sprinkle of hop taste, not really even bitterness. I like that as well, 4.5 .

Overall, a very solid 4.5 for Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales. The mention of spruce had thrown me kind of for a loop, but I am now rejoicing at its subtleties. This is a very satisfying brew that I will probably purchase again.

Caveworm, Tuesday at 03:48 AM

Demon_Lung, Saturday at 07:59 PM

GarthT, Nov 22, 2014

jarrett123, Nov 22, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

Ok - Good. Tastes like a spiced "Dead Guy" ale.

ILuvBeer, Nov 20, 2014

zak333, Nov 18, 2014

GeorgiaBeerGuy, Nov 16, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22 oz. bottle drank as part if a Better Beer Authority shoot, unknown brewing/packaging date but 2014 vintage, poured into a BBA large bottom snifter, drank over 30 minutes

MNishCT77, Nov 15, 2014