Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
26.75º L

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Santa's Private Reserve Ale Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -71.3%

1.15/5  rDev -69.4%

Hate to really slog a beer, but this one was god damned terrible.
I dont know if it was that I bought an xmas seasonal in April from Blue Max liquor in Burnsville, MN and thats why it was only $3.99 for 750ml, or if the batch itself of december 2010 was just horrid.

A: Nice amber to reddish color. Head retention is good, carbonation is good, lacing is good.

S: Wort. Just straight wort. Nothing doing leading me to believe that literally nothing had been done in the way of fermentation.

T: Again, absolutely nothing doing. Just straight wort. The finish was hoppy to be sure but that has no bearing on fermentation necessarily other than the aging out of the hop oils. And yet, boom there the carbonation and head were which baffles me to think that if this actually is the style of beer they are trying to make, why not make it a real ale society beer and serve with a ladle out of a barrel.

M: Bittering at the end but the flatness of the actual liquid was completely disappointing. Carbonation was visible but not effecting the mouthfeel.

D: Never again, of course. But its more baffling than anything. Did i get a bad bottle? did i get sold old beer even though its got live yeast in it still? Or did this batch go out and people like that?? Sorry rogue, hated it.

1.2/5  rDev -68.1%

This beer may be the best looking most inviting beer I have poured lately; while being the worst tasting beer of the season.
I poured it cold from the bottle 40-45. C into a pint glass.
It poured an amber golden color with an unfiltered look, similar to a Heffeweissen.
The head was tall and creamy and hung around until it was finished.
Smell was musty, flowery, and almost stale like.
Taste, was bitter and stale, very hoppy. The after taste had an awful bite, making every sip a chore. I stayed with this beer for I wanted it to get better, but after it warmed up a bit there was no change.
There is a possiblity that the beer was bad, but I cant try another.

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.38/5  rDev -63.3%

Bottle into 8 oz chalice

Appearance: Pretty copper-red. Weak head disappears almost immediately leaving a splotchy wake.

Smell: Immediate hop bite, followed by a rank, soft scent. First clue, there must be something off.

Taste: Uggh. Like rotting fir. Something is living in this beer that I don't want in my belly.

Mouthfeel: Get it out! Desiccating, evolutionarily unpleasant bitterness makes me spit out each mouthful I get. I swallowed one, and it was reminiscent of powdered Tylenol. Like I said, we only exist today because we can taste such compounds.

Overall: Beer was skunked. Rogue has always been decent, as I remember, so I was excited for this beer. I bought it as a single in a mix-your-own-six, and it must have been on the GTFO list.

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

1.75/5  rDev -53.5%

1.83/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Very large head, maybe too large. Nice, off white color though and good dexterity. Lots of texture. Sparse but consistent lacing. Brownish amber coloring, very clear. No active carbonation though.

S: Sort of old hops, mostly. Ok, I hate to say this, but I get an almost sawdust-and-vomit smell when I really dig my nose in. Nothing really appealing here, and not very strong.

T: Yep, really stale tasting still, and I still get vomit. It's pretty gross. I don't know if it's old or what, but no thank you. I'd love to review more, but no. This, sadly, is a drain pour.

M: Dry and flat

D: Drainpour.

1.83/5  rDev -51.3%

Poured into my Founders tulip.

Deep toffee and caramel color. Full finger of off white head. Dissipates somewhat quickly. Heavy lacing remains.

Smell is sweet raisin and spice. A little caramel in there too. Smells rather tasty.

Cough. Holy shit is this dry and bitter. Tastes like dust from old furniture. The smell doesn't translate to taste.

My drain is going to be drinking well tonight.

1.88/5  rDev -50%

Chilled bomber poured into a pint glass.

A: Reddish amber body, poured with moderate head that stayed for several minutes. No lacing down the glass.

S: Piney hops dominate, some malts waft underneath. I can understand a hoppy red, but not a hop-forward red... Weird.

T: Extremely bitter piney and grassy hops with an unpleasant chalky aftertaste. Caramel malt and maybe some toffee are there, but they are completely overwhelmed by the hops. Bleh. Imbalanced hop juice.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

D: I split it with a friend and still had a hard time finishing it. It's simply bitter without much roundedness, and the aftertaste in particular did not sit well on the tongue. Would not buy again.

1.88/5  rDev -50%

Poured from a 20oz bottle into my FSW American Pint Glass.
A - Nice amber color with a white two finger foamy head. The beer leaves some nice lacing behind as the head goes down. Pretty standard.

S - Not much smell to speak of really. Some hop aroma which i suppose is spruce rather than pine and a slight hint of malt sweetness, but overall a very underwhelming aroma.

T - Santa must really not like good beer, or his "private reserve" is full of mediocre beers. I'm really disappointed with this one. I cant believe this is a Rogue product. Bitter hops and really not much else. I taste some biscuit on the back of the tongue, but even the hops they use here taste bad to me.

M - This beer is pretty thin, flat and dry. Not much mouthfeel to speak of.

D - Normally this would be a drain pour for me, but i spent almost $7 on this beer and i'm forcing it down my throat so that i can piss gold later on. Rogue has never been my favorite brewery, and this one may prevent me from trying another one of their products for a while. Too bad.

1.98/5  rDev -47.3%

vintage 2011, unk bottle date.

A: ruddy copper with a finger of light yellow foam. this falls to a broken sheet of the same. spotty lace.
S: biscuit, butter, salty (oddly), some spice and noble, earthy hops.
T: malts, butter, spicy tones, not really appealing at all.
M: medium bodied with low on moderate carb. Semi dry finish.
O: Nothing special.