Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
26.75º L

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Santa's Private Reserve Ale Alström Bros
3.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - clear, rusty-copper with an one finger cream head. Moderate lacing

S - Toasted malt, dough/yeast, with faint hints of citrus.

T - Malt, touch of caramel, toast with just a touch of bitterness.

M - Medium body with good carbonation. Nice and smooth on the palate with just a touch of bitterness on the finish

O - A very enjoyable Ale. Straightforward and quite drinkable. I'll be keeping my eye out for this next year at this time.

Enjoyed in a pint glass

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a very tasty seasonal offering from Rogue. A great take - if somewhat unconventionally hoppy - on an amber ale. Lots of roasty, biscuity malts with a TON of bitter, resiny hops - pine dominates the profile. A hint of spice (which I couldn't put my finger on) in the background.

Glad I grabbed a bottle of this. I will definitely be picking up a sixer or two before too long.

3.18/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Brownish amber red, nice lacing down the glass

S: Smells a bit hoppy

T: Tastes a bit more hoppy than I expected. Usually I can drink hoppy/IPA's as the hops fade a bit but they stuck around. That might be a good thing for some but, this is not my style at all. Nothing about this beer said "Christmas" to me as I did not taste any pine/butterscotch or anything you normally associate with a winter warmer

Summary: Will not be drinking this one again, hops are too strong for a seasonal for me..

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

I've never been one for strict classifications but there is little 'Amber' about this besides the color (which is maybe all that's required for the distinction). Nonetheless, it's an IPA in disguise.

I used to get excited around Christmastime to taste the new and adventurous holiday beers. Not so much anymore, now that every brewery comes out with one and half-asses the effort. There is nothing notable about this beer. There are a dozen other beers exactly like it at your local beer store.

It's almost as if Rogue brewed up an accidental "rogue" batch of beer and said "Well shit, what we do we do with all this beer?" Someone on the brewery team replies "It's almost winter, let's slap a Santa label on it and call it a Christmas beer". And with that, Santa's Private Reserve was born. A shame, really.

2.98/5  rDev -20.7%

This brew was found at my local store on tap- so I got a growler- I didnt expect this to be one of these xtra big hoppy beers --I am trying to stay as objective as possible in my review--- but the hops in this one is just overpowering- maybe with age in a bottle this would mellow out --the hops just taste so fresh--- reminds me of a time at a brewfest that they were filtering an ipa with fresh hops--yikes
the Appearance is wonderful - its a awesome red-amber with a nice 1 finger head-
the Smell is citrus fruits with hops and more hops---its smells a lot like it tastes -there is a slight malt and some sweetness on the tip of he tongue going towards massive bitter in the back---mega hops here --
mouth feel is nice not to heavy but not thin either-
the drinkability just isn't there for me- im no hophead- maybe that is why----1 pint and im done maybe 2 if im really thirsty... I do like that the bitterness of the hops doesn't stay with you forever on this one---it definitely give you a hops shot up front but at least it doesn't linger on forever..

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours light mahogany with glowing cherry edges when held to the light. The head has a rocky consistency, a solid inch tall, and leaves some bubble-wrap-like patches of lace on the glass.

Smell:

Quick nudge of crispy hop freshness, bright and refreshing, followed by a sweet malt base, like cotton candy cut with a waft of cinnamon toast.

Taste:

Sharp twist of bitterness on the tip of my palate. A deeper bitterness follows -- actually, the malts come through and provide a great contrast to the bitterness, giving it greater depth. The sweetness is like biting into a mildly spiced slice of holiday bread and finding a few small chunks of dried, candied fruit. Not overwhelming. The aftertaste is a receding sizzle of hop hoppiness.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

2008 vintage poured from bottle into pint glass.

pours a nice deep amber color.

smells of balanced hops and malt.

very smooth drinking hoppy but balanced amber ale with a nice touch of spruce in the finish.

this a great holiday brew and my favorite brew by rogue.

cheers!!

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Saw this for the first time this week and, as a huge fan of Rogue beers, had to grab a sixer.

I won't call it a mistake, but this is not as good as I had hoped.

The beer pours as I expected for a Christmas beer, an almost brown reddish copper with a decent tan-colored head that didn't immediately fade away. The first aromas are pleasant, spices and malt with a sprucey, almost juniper hop character that barely hints of grass. So far, pretty good. Then I taste it.

The flavor isn't bad, but it certainly isn't what I've come to expect from Rogue. The malt profile is all but buried underneath the hops, which are dominating. Their piney, bitter character does not seem to balance well. It almost tastes like it could pass for an IPA; it is certainly more brutally bitter than their Brutal Bitter. Not exactly unpleasant, but I'm looking for more sweet, soothing malt in a Christmas beer.

The mouthfeel is vaguely unpleasant to me, thin and watery with too much carbonation. Certainly the worst aspect of this brew, in my opinion. It is far from undrinkable, but it's not something I'd be likely to session. The bitter hops linger on the palate, giving me second thoughts about having another.

All in all a pretty good brew, if you're looking for a hop monster. Not really what I was looking for in a Christmas beer / winter warmer. If the intense hop bitterness was balanced by a sweeter, thicker malt this would be fabulous. As it is, it's still above average but not up to the lofty standards set by Rogue's other brews.

4.25/5  rDev +13%