Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
26.75º L
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Santa's Private Reserve Ale Alström Bros
2.69/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Looks dark amber with a thick rocky head. Looks great. Smells not so hot - pretty hoppy. I was hoping this wasn't another over-hopped winter warmer. I was disappointed. Not that malty, it's as hoppy as a weak IPA. There some slight taste complexity, but it's drowned out by the hops. Other than the bitterness, goes down smooth. The aftertaste is a little bitter, with all the hops. I don't think I'd drink more than one.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked up a bomber of this after hearing about it on the World Class twitter feed.

A: Poured with a nice thick head that went down a bit but retained nicely. Amber and close to the color of rum. Very nice looking actually.

S: Sweet and hoppy smelling. Makes me want to skip this section and drink it already! I bet this is what Santa smells like :)

T: Much different than what it smells like. A nice ale flavor at the front and actually at the end it reminds me of potato chips. I have no idea why and it's not a bad thing. It's actually like a cross between a red ale and a amber ale. Is there a difference? Sure there is.

M: Very nice, this is what I like my ales to feel like.

D: Whenever you want another of the same beer when you're finished you know the drinkability rates high. No problem with a bomber an dyou should probably get 2 or 3 to share with your friends.

4.94/5  rDev +31.7%

I really wasn't prepared for how great of a beer this was going to be. It's rich and bitter, and is the hoppiest red ale that I've had the pleasure of imbibing.

I suppose that it's called "Santa's Reserve" because of the hops' pine notes, which are incredibly strong. It is not your typical "Christmas Beer" though, and I'd be happy drinking this all year round.

It's a home run from Rogue, and has me tracking down more of their other offerings.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Very nice offering from Rogue. Nice bottle.

This beer poured a copper/red color. Lots of carbonation, and a very nice pillowy two finger head. The smell of this beer is very strong! One can definately smell the hops in this beer. Upon tasting this beer, I am hit with a slight malty flavor, but then a very strong (repeat: strong!) hops prescence comes through. Some piney, nutty flavors are present as well, with a nice bitter finish. This beer is big, and the hops were unexpected for me. However, I love big hoppy beers, so this one no problem for me! Nice sticky mouthfeel. Again, this beer was huge, and probably would only render an occasional visit from me. Not a bad beer at all, however.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

3.32/5  rDev -11.5%

3.41/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance Amber?red color with a slightly off white head with decent lacing

Smell Subtle hoppy, slight floral with a hint of roasted malt

Taste Surprisingly more hoppy than what I was expecting from a Winter Ale. But it is Rogue and I do find many of there beers a tad bit hoppier than I expect. Mild Malty undertones, but the hop bitterness if first and foremost .

Mouthfeel Smooth with moderate carbonation... lingering bitterness

Overall a nice beer... if you prefer hoppier beers then this would be a great winter time ale. If you are more into the maltier, more roasted beers then this may not be your best choice.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

3.79/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a winter glass. Had to really work to get some head on top, but once I did, it stuck around in a thin layer for a while. Beautiful barely-opaque reddish-brown color.

Tough to get any real smell from this one for me, or maybe it's my head cold??

The taste is strong, pleasantly bitter, and lingering for a while on my whole tongue with a similar red ale bitterness. Tough to pick out any flavor notes, but the whole thing just works.

Not really a winter ale for my tastes, but a good one. I'd have this with some turkey.

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a cognac snifter.

Appearance: Pours a crisp, white, two-finger foam head which boils down immediately. Leaves a nice solid ring on the surface but the lacing is a bit thin and insubstantial. A slightly hazy beer with an amber body. Notes of orange or reddish hues are in play here.

Smell: Slightly spicey on the nose at first, a few nutty, malty notes make themselves known. Not very remarkable.

Taste: A very slight bitterness towards the end of the beer, from piney hops. I get the feel of citrus from the beer but its hard to pin it down so it may just be wishful thinking. This is a relatively subdued beer, the lingering bitterness of the hops lending a persistent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied beer, not very noticeable, doesn't linger long.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. This is an easy beer that is light on the pallet and doesn't nuke your taste buds.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a mahogany/amber. Aroma is full of hop oils, pine, citrus zest, caramel, and sweet malts. Citrus hops front the flavor, followed by the malty sweetness, all leading to a sprucy and bitter finish that doesn't want to end. Crisp and dry with a medium/medium-full body. Very tasty.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

S - It poured a dark ruby red hue with a thin laced head but retained very well. Highly carbonated - looks a lot like cream soda.

A - It has a slightly fruity aroma, almost like figs, but there was also a deep malty aroma to give it a faint biscuit smell too.

T - For maybe the first moment it was sweet to the tongue, but instantly followed with deep roasted malt flavor. Then, BANG! with the Northwest hop flavor. It almost tasted like an IPA for a second.

M - It has a high level of carbonation but still full of complex tastes. It's not at all watered down. Also, the hops give it a nice citrusy aftertaste, which is a delightful contrast to the roasted malts.

D - This is a good drink as the malty flavor hits all the tastebuds, but I just think that the malt/hop combo is a bit off. It's definitely hoppier than I expected, but I do have to consider where the brewer is located and what kind of hops is available. Sooo, the flavors are off the beaten path but the Private Resreve is good nonetheless.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Bought a bottle from Craft Beer Heaven that just opened recently on Columbus Blvd. in Philly.

A - Poured a light copper color into a pint glass with a decent appearance of carbonation.

S - Doesn't smell like your typical Christmas/Winter Warmer beer. It's spiced, but doesn't smell overly done. You don't pick up the nutmeg and such you do in some other winter beers. This had a greater hop presence.

T - Nice hops presence gives the tounge a good tingle. Has a stronger than expected bready malt back bone.

M - A different mix of hoppy aggressiveness with subtle smooth malty backbone.

D - I really enjoy it, and look forward to this beer each winter. I would certainly have another. Another pretty good beer from Rogue.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

4.5/5  rDev +20%

4.46/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh Rogue.. how I love your beers. I'm really not an amber drinker, and I found this one to be supremely pleasant. I had no idea what it was when I picked it up..

Pours a chestnut brown amber with matching tan-leather head.

Just easy grain and malt aromas, not too complex.

Beautiful taste profile. Rogue always has some sort of character to their beers that I cannot put my finger on, and this one surely has the trademark. A great malty sweetness drives you through the spices, seeming seamless. No radical flavors, just delicious and warming, with no burn at all.

Rich bodied, yet balanced and not overly done. I could put back quite a few of these.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%

i'll be honest up front: i am not a huge rogue guy. solid brewer, but they kind of pale in comparison to the alternatives out in portland, or...

fresh hops on nose. sweet, nutty caramel malt flavor is balanced out with piney hops -- tasty. very flavorful and easy drinking. probably my favorite rogue beer yet!

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer is from a most impressive bottle, the 650 ml has no paper label, it is painted on. This beer pour a dark red with about 2 fingers of fluffy head. The aroma is very malty with a hint of fruitiness. The dominate taste is grapefruit. It finishes dry. This is a very different beer for a winter. I enjoyed the taste of this one more than the dead guy ale. A very taste beer.

Santa's Private Reserve Ale from Rogue Ales