Buckwheat Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buckwheat Ale Alström Bros

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Rogue is tremendously successful beer...for one reason or another anyway. "Why" eludes me. I have had only one Rouge which I really enjoied. The rest just isn't for me.
I found this Morimoto Soba to have a poor smell heavy of grass. The taste, too, was likewise heavy of grass. The brew itself was much too carbonated for my fancy. Overall, I was completley disgusted with this stuff. Apologies to those who have sworn allegiance to Rogue, as I know they exist, but this just isn't for me.

2.21/5  rDev -39.9%

I can't believe it. This must have been a bad bottle. I've loved everything else I've tasted from Rogue, but this is a complete disappointment. The color isn't bad; it's hazy, rather like a pumpkin-colored gemstone. But there's virtually no head, and what little there is fades almost immediately to a faint constellation in the middle of the glass. There is no lacing to speak of.

The smell, while not spectacular, is the best thing about this one. It's mild, hoppy, somewhat spicy, and slightly citrusy.

The taste is utterly underwhelming. It's astringent and slightly hoppy. Not a lot going on here. I am not impressed. I haven't had a mass-produced American amber beer in years, but I seem to remember it tasting about like this.

When I get a chance I will purchase another bottle; if, as I suspect, this was a bad one then I'll amend my review.

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Simply bland. There's a slight malt sweetness, but not much else going on. It is incredibly drinkable, but I don't particularly want another. It had a healthy head that stuck around for awhile. It is clear that this is a not a macro lager in appearance, but not in taste. Don't buy this beer.

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a slightly hazy, very pale golden orange color with small chunks floating around and a weak white fizzy head that immediately fades. Not much in the way of lacing.

Very bland aroma with some earthy hops, bready yeast notes, pilsner malt and not much else.

Medium bodied with subtle earthy, bitter hops and pale malt. Kind of boring with a slightly creamy mouthfeel and subtle dry finish. Easy to drink but not very complex or flavorful. Disappointing to say the least.

2.41/5  rDev -34.5%

Oh no, no, no. Don’t put rhubarb in a beer and think it’s gonna be good.

A hazy dark amber, with a quick dying white head.

First time I’ve had a beer with the <soapy> malt aroma – this is off to a bad start. But no, it gets worse; the taste of thistle weed just doesn’t go down well. Not tasty at all.

Sharp and dry, it does become more manageable by the end of the bomber – NO drain pouring crappola for me! That’s sacrilegious!

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A hazy orange/amber/apricot with a nice white head, this beer's looks are about the best thing going for it. Strangely, I found this to be one of the most straightforward and non-descript craft beers I've ever had. There's a vague fruitiness in the bouquet and flavor, and the mouthfeel is slightly creamy, but there's nothing at all distinct about this brew.

One might argue that this means that the beer is not offensive, and, to its credit, it really isn't bad. It just isn't good--it's entirely forgettable, which, in my book, is almost as bad as being really bad.

Not recommended.

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%

This brew pours a cloudy pale yellow-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice thick lacing. The aroma is of rhubarb and buckwheat. I can’t quite say what about the aroma is turning me off, but it just doesn’t make me want to drink this beer. Luckily, the taste is nothing like the aroma, and something like nothing. The mouthfeel is thin and overpowered by a very high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer, and I will not drink it again.

2.62/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep amber color to the liquid, but no head to top it off. Yeasty aroma, but no other noticeable smells. The beer is highly carbonated, which detracts from the mouthfeel. The taste is mostly hoppy, with hints of apricot, and a hoppy biting and lingering aftertaste. An okay beer, but nothing special.

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Light brownish gold with a beige head, no lace. Very unassuming appearance.

Aroma is diactyl, buttery bread, nuts, cooked pasta, and hops.

Flavor is equally uninspired with harsh grain flavors, light malts, lemon, and bitter hops. Lacks complexity and depth. Really tastes like a bland brown ale mixed 50/50 with a poorly made American wheat ale.

Light bodied with active carbonation and average mouthfeel. The worst Rogue I've ever had, blah.

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a copper color with some sediment and a decent head with okay retention. Aroma is toasty malts and herbal hops. Taste is a sour mix of weirdness that is generally unpleasant. Some grass and earthy tastes, but generally just bland and sour. Mouthfeel is fine. I poured the second half down the sink.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A real disapointment. Very little body to the flavor and watery. Lacked the high hoppage of a typical Rogue. I like most Rogue beers and I may under-rate this one because I expect more from them. I didn't think I'd ever say this, but with as light of a body as this beer has, you need more hops.

2.72/5  rDev -26.1%

Not much to talk about. Typical Rogue yeast smell. Golden with microscopic bubbles. Tightly formed dirty white head. Same yeast flavor that comes with all Rogue Ales. Touch of bitterness. Very nice smooth drink. It would be nice on the golf course or after mowing the lawn.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Having had the Black Obi Soba ale on tap, I was looking forward to this offering from Rouge. I must admit, overall I was pretty dissapointed.

Maybe I got a bad bottle or I had a previous taste in my mouth, but this beer reminded me of a skunked Bud Light.

There is a hint of caramel in the flavor character, a slight maltiness, but the scent is of stagnant brew. The head goes away within seconds of pouring. The color is a little darker than the typical macros and almost has a burnt orange tinge to it.

Can't say that I enjoyed this. I'll have to get another bottle and see how it goes. I'm missing the "vegetable" of this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Interesting to say the least, but I wasn't too particularly fond of it. The appearance is very cloudy and golden. It looks like a thick pureed vegetable type of drink, like a v8. Despite pouring as aggressively as possible, this beer produced almost no head. The smell, I think, suffered because of that, as it was almost completely non-existent aside from a hint of malt. It smelled very pleasing, but it just didn't seem like it had a powerful enough of a bouquet.

The taste is sweet, malty, & slightly roasted like a brown ale up front but eventually fades to a nutty, bready taste in the finish that is very difficult to describe. This taste, obviously, is from the soba (buckwheat). I find it to be somewhat unpleasant, especially when combined with the full-bodied, creamy mouthfeel. I had a hard time finishing the bomber, as it isn't very drinkable, but it was just good enough not to become plant food. Evidently this soba crap is pretty good for you, though. Go figure.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

I was intrigued by the label on this beer and, since I don't have much experience with this style, thought I'd try it. It was a very dark brown color with a medium coffee-colored head. It had a sweet smell with some fruit and nuts in the aroma. I thought it tasted like hazlenut, with some fruit in the background, and mild hoppiness. Not exactly to my liking, but maybe I haven't tried enough of this style.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color. One finger head. Nice retention.

Smell: Intially, grains and wheat hit the nose. There's also a spicy smell to it. Smells pretty malty as well. A faint citrusy smell is also in there. Not bad.

Taste: The spicy taste was the first thing that hit me. I can't place it, but it's something spicy. Definitely has decent malt taste with a wheat flavor. I'm picking up some orange and maybe lemon in there.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This would be a pretty decent beer for a hot day. It goes down easy enough. I'm not a huge fan of the spicy bite to it, but it's manageable. Overall, it's okay. I've had much better from Rogue, but it's worth a try.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Appearance: Clear apricot in color, thin head of barely-there bubbles. Minimal carbonation and lacing.
Aroma: Thin, with faint notes of berry and malt.
Taste: Thin as the aroma. Very light notes of hops and malt. Only slightly more complex than your basic pilsner.
Mouthfeel: Wispy, light, and fast-disappearing.
Drinkability: Certainly a drinkable ale, but nothing to climb over your mother for.

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

It's a fruit/vegetable beer because soba, AKA buckwheat, isn't a grain, it's rhubarb (fruit). Weird, huh? I thought I would enjoy this beer more, due to my affinity for Japanese cuisine. Oh well. Upon first pour, it's an unassuming gold color with reasonably puffy head - looks like an ordinary pale ale. The second pour out of the bomber was closer to orange and noticeably hazier. Some sediment at the bottom. Is this an old bottle? An especially sweet aroma of caramel malts, pie crust, and a light fruitiness. Flavor carries over these elements with slight twinges of cherry and strawberry, or perhaps this is the pie crust association. Naturally, a broad grainy base is apparent as well, but it seems unfinished, unrefined. Hops are there with a good deal of bitterness towards the end, but not enough to dominate. All in all decently balanced. However, the alcohol seems intrusive... I don't know the abv but there seems to be a numbing spiciness that gets in the way. I found the initial sweetness to be strange, and there is a metallic tint that turned me off. I suppose I would like this better if it was brand spankin' fresh and paired with the appropriate dish. As it is, not my cup of tea... or should I say, pint of beer.

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Poured a tangerine orange with a slight chill-haze and a foamy 1 finger white head that clung to the sides of the glass leaving a streaky lacing. Visible carbonation was light, almost non-detect. The head soon receded after a brief minute to a sparse layering.

S: fresh citrus and oranges.

T: The initial flavor was very light wheat and sour oranges. The initial sip felt very light and almost aerated with a sourness of oranges that were spicy and dry followed by a peppery touch. The buckwheat definitely adds a different twist and flavor to the malting but also thins things out a bit. The flavor was mono-tone from start to finish lacking any layering or complexity.

M: very light, almost watery with a nice sourness of spicy dry oranges.

D: Moderate at best drinkability. Wouldn't invest my money into a six pack unless you are Celiac.

Buckwheat Ale from Rogue Ales