2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buckwheat Ale - Rogue Ales

Buckwheat AleBuckwheat Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buckwheat Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 329 | Reviews: 290 | Show All Ratings:
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Rogue is tremendously successful beer...for one reason or another anyway. "Why" eludes me. I have had only one Rouge which I really enjoied. The rest just isn't for me.
I found this Morimoto Soba to have a poor smell heavy of grass. The taste, too, was likewise heavy of grass. The brew itself was much too carbonated for my fancy. Overall, I was completley disgusted with this stuff. Apologies to those who have sworn allegiance to Rogue, as I know they exist, but this just isn't for me.

05-07-2004 03:08:20 | More by SilentSabre
Weissenheimer

2.17/5  rDev -41%

I can't believe it. This must have been a bad bottle. I've loved everything else I've tasted from Rogue, but this is a complete disappointment. The color isn't bad; it's hazy, rather like a pumpkin-colored gemstone. But there's virtually no head, and what little there is fades almost immediately to a faint constellation in the middle of the glass. There is no lacing to speak of.

The smell, while not spectacular, is the best thing about this one. It's mild, hoppy, somewhat spicy, and slightly citrusy.

The taste is utterly underwhelming. It's astringent and slightly hoppy. Not a lot going on here. I am not impressed. I haven't had a mass-produced American amber beer in years, but I seem to remember it tasting about like this.

When I get a chance I will purchase another bottle; if, as I suspect, this was a bad one then I'll amend my review.

11-25-2003 04:21:19 | More by Weissenheimer
swamiswamu

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

Simply bland. There's a slight malt sweetness, but not much else going on. It is incredibly drinkable, but I don't particularly want another. It had a healthy head that stuck around for awhile. It is clear that this is a not a macro lager in appearance, but not in taste. Don't buy this beer.

03-06-2005 02:40:09 | More by swamiswamu
Vancer

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Oh no, no, no. Don’t put rhubarb in a beer and think it’s gonna be good.

A hazy dark amber, with a quick dying white head.

First time I’ve had a beer with the <soapy> malt aroma – this is off to a bad start. But no, it gets worse; the taste of thistle weed just doesn’t go down well. Not tasty at all.

Sharp and dry, it does become more manageable by the end of the bomber – NO drain pouring crappola for me! That’s sacrilegious!

07-18-2006 13:02:31 | More by Vancer
corby112

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a slightly hazy, very pale golden orange color with small chunks floating around and a weak white fizzy head that immediately fades. Not much in the way of lacing.

Very bland aroma with some earthy hops, bready yeast notes, pilsner malt and not much else.

Medium bodied with subtle earthy, bitter hops and pale malt. Kind of boring with a slightly creamy mouthfeel and subtle dry finish. Easy to drink but not very complex or flavorful. Disappointing to say the least.

06-23-2011 03:00:55 | More by corby112
benito

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A hazy orange/amber/apricot with a nice white head, this beer's looks are about the best thing going for it. Strangely, I found this to be one of the most straightforward and non-descript craft beers I've ever had. There's a vague fruitiness in the bouquet and flavor, and the mouthfeel is slightly creamy, but there's nothing at all distinct about this brew.

One might argue that this means that the beer is not offensive, and, to its credit, it really isn't bad. It just isn't good--it's entirely forgettable, which, in my book, is almost as bad as being really bad.

Not recommended.

07-25-2006 03:32:12 | More by benito
KarlHungus

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

This brew pours a cloudy pale yellow-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice thick lacing. The aroma is of rhubarb and buckwheat. I can’t quite say what about the aroma is turning me off, but it just doesn’t make me want to drink this beer. Luckily, the taste is nothing like the aroma, and something like nothing. The mouthfeel is thin and overpowered by a very high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer, and I will not drink it again.

06-25-2007 01:10:58 | More by KarlHungus
AlexJ

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Light brownish gold with a beige head, no lace. Very unassuming appearance.

Aroma is diactyl, buttery bread, nuts, cooked pasta, and hops.

Flavor is equally uninspired with harsh grain flavors, light malts, lemon, and bitter hops. Lacks complexity and depth. Really tastes like a bland brown ale mixed 50/50 with a poorly made American wheat ale.

Light bodied with active carbonation and average mouthfeel. The worst Rogue I've ever had, blah.

07-07-2005 14:41:29 | More by AlexJ
far333

Connecticut

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep amber color to the liquid, but no head to top it off. Yeasty aroma, but no other noticeable smells. The beer is highly carbonated, which detracts from the mouthfeel. The taste is mostly hoppy, with hints of apricot, and a hoppy biting and lingering aftertaste. An okay beer, but nothing special.

05-04-2003 19:52:28 | More by far333
Duster72

2.65/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a copper color with some sediment and a decent head with okay retention. Aroma is toasty malts and herbal hops. Taste is a sour mix of weirdness that is generally unpleasant. Some grass and earthy tastes, but generally just bland and sour. Mouthfeel is fine. I poured the second half down the sink.

06-23-2007 22:16:14 | More by Duster72
aracauna

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A real disapointment. Very little body to the flavor and watery. Lacked the high hoppage of a typical Rogue. I like most Rogue beers and I may under-rate this one because I expect more from them. I didn't think I'd ever say this, but with as light of a body as this beer has, you need more hops.

04-26-2002 07:14:57 | More by aracauna
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth

08-07-2011 04:53:40 | More by mikesgroove
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Interesting to say the least, but I wasn't too particularly fond of it. The appearance is very cloudy and golden. It looks like a thick pureed vegetable type of drink, like a v8. Despite pouring as aggressively as possible, this beer produced almost no head. The smell, I think, suffered because of that, as it was almost completely non-existent aside from a hint of malt. It smelled very pleasing, but it just didn't seem like it had a powerful enough of a bouquet.

The taste is sweet, malty, & slightly roasted like a brown ale up front but eventually fades to a nutty, bready taste in the finish that is very difficult to describe. This taste, obviously, is from the soba (buckwheat). I find it to be somewhat unpleasant, especially when combined with the full-bodied, creamy mouthfeel. I had a hard time finishing the bomber, as it isn't very drinkable, but it was just good enough not to become plant food. Evidently this soba crap is pretty good for you, though. Go figure.

04-04-2005 03:38:10 | More by neonbrown82
tjthresh

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Not much to talk about. Typical Rogue yeast smell. Golden with microscopic bubbles. Tightly formed dirty white head. Same yeast flavor that comes with all Rogue Ales. Touch of bitterness. Very nice smooth drink. It would be nice on the golf course or after mowing the lawn.

08-24-2005 13:05:49 | More by tjthresh
Buildscharacter

Georgia

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Having had the Black Obi Soba ale on tap, I was looking forward to this offering from Rouge. I must admit, overall I was pretty dissapointed.

Maybe I got a bad bottle or I had a previous taste in my mouth, but this beer reminded me of a skunked Bud Light.

There is a hint of caramel in the flavor character, a slight maltiness, but the scent is of stagnant brew. The head goes away within seconds of pouring. The color is a little darker than the typical macros and almost has a burnt orange tinge to it.

Can't say that I enjoyed this. I'll have to get another bottle and see how it goes. I'm missing the "vegetable" of this beer.

07-12-2005 23:31:02 | More by Buildscharacter
Hunter

Arizona

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: Clear apricot in color, thin head of barely-there bubbles. Minimal carbonation and lacing.
Aroma: Thin, with faint notes of berry and malt.
Taste: Thin as the aroma. Very light notes of hops and malt. Only slightly more complex than your basic pilsner.
Mouthfeel: Wispy, light, and fast-disappearing.
Drinkability: Certainly a drinkable ale, but nothing to climb over your mother for.

02-08-2006 00:29:40 | More by Hunter
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

I was intrigued by the label on this beer and, since I don't have much experience with this style, thought I'd try it. It was a very dark brown color with a medium coffee-colored head. It had a sweet smell with some fruit and nuts in the aroma. I thought it tasted like hazlenut, with some fruit in the background, and mild hoppiness. Not exactly to my liking, but maybe I haven't tried enough of this style.

03-19-2006 13:42:32 | More by lordofthewiens
prototypic

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color. One finger head. Nice retention.

Smell: Intially, grains and wheat hit the nose. There's also a spicy smell to it. Smells pretty malty as well. A faint citrusy smell is also in there. Not bad.

Taste: The spicy taste was the first thing that hit me. I can't place it, but it's something spicy. Definitely has decent malt taste with a wheat flavor. I'm picking up some orange and maybe lemon in there.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This would be a pretty decent beer for a hot day. It goes down easy enough. I'm not a huge fan of the spicy bite to it, but it's manageable. Overall, it's okay. I've had much better from Rogue, but it's worth a try.

03-18-2007 02:30:31 | More by prototypic
Thrasher

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

It's a fruit/vegetable beer because soba, AKA buckwheat, isn't a grain, it's rhubarb (fruit). Weird, huh? I thought I would enjoy this beer more, due to my affinity for Japanese cuisine. Oh well. Upon first pour, it's an unassuming gold color with reasonably puffy head - looks like an ordinary pale ale. The second pour out of the bomber was closer to orange and noticeably hazier. Some sediment at the bottom. Is this an old bottle? An especially sweet aroma of caramel malts, pie crust, and a light fruitiness. Flavor carries over these elements with slight twinges of cherry and strawberry, or perhaps this is the pie crust association. Naturally, a broad grainy base is apparent as well, but it seems unfinished, unrefined. Hops are there with a good deal of bitterness towards the end, but not enough to dominate. All in all decently balanced. However, the alcohol seems intrusive... I don't know the abv but there seems to be a numbing spiciness that gets in the way. I found the initial sweetness to be strange, and there is a metallic tint that turned me off. I suppose I would like this better if it was brand spankin' fresh and paired with the appropriate dish. As it is, not my cup of tea... or should I say, pint of beer.

04-06-2004 03:13:38 | More by Thrasher
Lothore

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours golden with very little head. It is cloudy and overall pretty unimpressive to look at ... I would think that if I poured a bud and made it slightly more cloudy it would look just like this brew. The smell is inviting, hopped up with a slight sour tinge. It tastes of wheat, slightly sour with nothing more than average flavors, nothing really stood out. The mouthfeel is alright, very carbonated and thin. Goes down easy enough, but overall not an impressive mouthfeel whatsoever. It seems easy enough to drink but I think the drinkability suffers because of the fact that after drinking one, it was so uninteresting that it was not easy for me to convince myself to drink another.

06-26-2007 06:01:11 | More by Lothore
soupyman10

District of Columbia

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

Ew. Got this one on the recommendation of the beer guy, and I feel like I was screwed. Pours a standard looking copper color with a bit of head and very slight lacing. Nose is interesting, bubble-gum and interesting fruity sweetness. A touch of caramel malt. Taste does not match up. Honestly, this is one of the blandest beers I've ever tasted. There's just nothing there. Very, very mild malt and hop presence; no fruit, nothing. WEAK. Feel is mediocre, no real problem. One of the most uninspired Rogue efforts I've tried.

04-25-2008 02:05:32 | More by soupyman10
filabrazilia

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy pilesener yellow with a small white head. Good lacing

There is a fruity aroma--banana or apple--it's not unpleasant but it's a little unusual.

The taste is similar--fruity and rich. There are some malt characteristics (or is it the soba?) that balance the sweetness. There is also a spicy, almost cider-like quality to the taste.

The mouthfeel is like cider in a way. It's pretty thin with a bit of a bite of carbonation. Actually pretty good despite the odd flavor.

This is a unique beer that I would likely not try again. I think it's an interesting experiment but not not one I could recommend.

02-15-2004 17:21:36 | More by filabrazilia
LPorter33

Purchased 22oz bomber from Martignetti's

Appearance = Really good looking hazy, light amber. Great 1/2'' head that did not fade at all. Lots of effervescent bubbles rising up. Looks refreshing and crisp.

Smell = Pretty average in the nose. Fresh malt and hops that's not too strong or overwhelming in the least. Malt dominates over the hops which only comes in towards the end.

Taste = Someone told me drinking this beer was like drinking water and I hate to say it but that's fairly accurate. It reminds me of really, really watered down sake, especially towards the end of the taste. Initially, there's some sweetness from the malt but little else. It's not a bad flavor, just nothing really appealing about it. I guess it would go good with some really light food to cleanse the palate. I could see it going well with sushi

Overall = Glad I tried it but I won't be sampling this again. If I wanted something this bland, I'd drink a PBR. .

01-26-2006 02:12:49 | More by LPorter33
beerthulhu

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Poured a tangerine orange with a slight chill-haze and a foamy 1 finger white head that clung to the sides of the glass leaving a streaky lacing. Visible carbonation was light, almost non-detect. The head soon receded after a brief minute to a sparse layering.

S: fresh citrus and oranges.

T: The initial flavor was very light wheat and sour oranges. The initial sip felt very light and almost aerated with a sourness of oranges that were spicy and dry followed by a peppery touch. The buckwheat definitely adds a different twist and flavor to the malting but also thins things out a bit. The flavor was mono-tone from start to finish lacking any layering or complexity.

M: very light, almost watery with a nice sourness of spicy dry oranges.

D: Moderate at best drinkability. Wouldn't invest my money into a six pack unless you are Celiac.

04-29-2008 23:10:49 | More by beerthulhu
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a good thick head with an alright lacing. Pours a brown/golden color that looks nice. The head retention is not that great. The smell is of malty grains, but with some weird old twinge. The taste is very buttery. It's got some nice buckwheat flavors, but there's a massive butter flavor in the aftertaste. Strange. The mouthfeel is ok, kinda smooth. Overall, I think this bottle has reached it's prime and left again a few months ago. I may try it if I find a good bottle and there's not a lot of good stuff around.

03-17-2007 01:50:14 | More by Erdinger2003