Morimoto Imperial Pilsner - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.80% ABV

4 Ingredients:
Malts: 100% French Pilsner.
Hops: 100% Sterling.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

18º PLATO
80 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aracauna on 08-24-2003)
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

25.4oz ceramic bottle received from largadeer. Thanks for picking out a fresh bottle for me! Poured into my Trumer Pils stange.

A: Hazy orange with a massive, frothy white head and lots of carbonation. Pretty! The head slowly recedes, leaving nice lace. Excellent retention. This is a little hazy but gorgeous otherwise

S: Crisp hop aroma with a lovely grassy note with a faint biscuit note to round out the hops

T: Lots of hops to start things off with a combination of lime and fresh cut grass and some mango and honey sweetness. The biscuit comes through fleetingly as this one finishes bitter and long

M: Crisp, resiny and spritzy with a long and bitter finish

D: Hilariously drinkable, this one's going down very easy!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a half-liter mug. Very slightly cloudy gold color, bright, with a big creamy head. Nose is pleasant, though I expected more from an 'imperial'. There's a nice scent of hops backed by sweet light malt. Flavor is excellent. This is the first Imperial Pilsner that really hits the proper pils taste. Sweet, slightly bready malt flavor is prominent, together with plenty of bitterness and very floral hop flavor. Medium bodied, though light for the strength, with a crisp yet soft feel.

Very nice beer. Not a great value, though. At 15 bucks, I doubt I'll buy another one. They should make this one of their permanent bomber lineups, though. I'd happily pay 5 for it.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation of this beer is exceptional. Ceramic, Swing-top bottle a unique touch that made me feel like I was buying something special.

Initial pour into pilsner glass with substantial head and brilliant white lacing. Strong hop aroma.

First taste was truly unique. Good amount of bitterness, not alot of malty flavor, but that was ok. A little boozy, but that was expected and appropriate.

The head withered, but lacing maintained its integrity down to the last drop, which I was sorry to see. Would strongly reccomend. Haven't repuchased yet, a little pricy.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

poured from the reclosable ceramic bottle into your standard pint glass. Can't really pour fast with the bottle, the speed is pretty regulated. Slightly opaque golden beer with an initial one and a half finger white head. The head dropped to a tight ring in the time it took me to go to the restroom and back. Not getting a whole lot from the nose, and what I am getting is making me wonder if the glass is dirty. I'll pour the rest into another glass before verifying this. Taste is an overwhelming kick of hops right in your face. Lots of bittering hops from my first impression. Wow, I'm getting a urine smell from the beer though, just a note, really having a hard time not smelling it before I drink because of this. Lots of carbonation on the palette and drink ability seems pretty good so far. Just too bad these Rogue signature brews cost so much. Urine smell is gone half way down the glass, getting some malty notes now, some earthy floral notes, maybe some sweet yeast like smells too. Lacing seems minimal on the glass and tends to want to drag down with the beer. Through drinking there is a constant ring around the head. Not a bad brew, pretty tasty but a little too bitter overall.

Second pour into a pilsner glass proved much more enjoyable. Bad smell was replaced by a sweeter, almost ale like yeast aroma, sweeter fruits, pale ale malts, crisp and clean. Convinced the first glass wasn't clean.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

750 white crock picked up at the Coop a couple weeks ago for about $14.. I wanted to drink this side by side with MS Envy.. but that had the kibosh put on it by some Pabst.

Nice pour into my Kasteel tulip.. 1" head atop a slightly hazy golden honey brew.

Aroma is spicy and herbal with a little bit of metal... pale malts with some toastiness .. but for the most part we're talking the hops.

Flavor is very much like what I would expect a big-boned pils to be.. bracing bitterness followed by pils malts with more than enough hop flavor.. very smooth earthy hops .. with some yeasty fruitiness.. I would not guess this is fermented with a lager yeast.. a little peachiness and apricot. Body is fairly light for a beer of this ABV (I'm not complaining).. carbonation is just enough to really keep me interested.

Don't know what else to say.. I like it more than Envy.. and definitely more than SA Impy Pilsner.. I probably won't buy it again because of the price unless I am trying to do a "really" big pilsner.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Tarnished gold with a slight hop haze. The head and lace on this brew is outstanding, fluffy and light with never ending retention.

Smell: Clean pilsener malt and mild spicy hops. Faint grass and earth.

Taste & mouthfeel: Biscuity pale malt at the forefront with hop flavors of grapefruit, lemon peel and grass coming up right behind. Bright and crisp, surprisingly so for a nearly 9% brew. Body is on the lighter side of medium. The hops have a definite bite in the finish but clean up surprisingly fast, leaving a very mild bitterness on the tongue. It's hard to believe this stuff is so strong; it drinks more like a 6 or 7 percent ABV pilsener. The sheer simplicity of the recipe should also be noted: 1 malt, 1 hop, 1 strain of yeast. Goes to show that you can still make a world-class beer using a bare-bones recipe, and I commend Rogue for that.

Notes: Excellent stuff, and unlike many beers labeled as an imperial pilsener, this actually tastes like a pils (I'm talking to you, Sam Adams).

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a bottle a slightly hazy lemon yellow with a rich and creamy white head.

Aroma of grass, grapefruit, biscuit, vanila, and honey.

The taste is bright, rich, and creamy. The floral and citrus hops tickle the palate. The balance of the malt is perfect. Aftertaste is sweet, like vanilla and honey. The alcohol is well hidden.

Medium mouthfeel, rich and creamy, and lightly carbonated.

This is an incredible Imperial Pilsner from Rogue. I could drink these all night.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

I have been aging this beer for a couple of years and have never had it before.

I was wondering how it would hold up being an imperial pilsner at 8.8%. I broke it open to celebrate my friend learning Japanese.

Poured hazy with a nice white foam head. The smell was faint, kind of expected that, but there was little hop smell.

I really enjoyed this beer. I am not much of a pilsner fan but enjoyed the qualities of this pilsner with a bitter after taste and hop finish. Real smooth and drinkable not over the top.
Well done and am glad to have waited.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

It's interesting to see so many fusion styles on the shelves these days; I bought this beer mainly to see whether it could live up to the title of "imperial pilsner." All in all, I'm certainly impressed and feel like the style designation is apt. That said, the aroma was a bit too fruity and hoppy. As for bitterness and character, I do look for a certain spicy hop character in a pilsner, but the aftertaste borders on excessive. Other than that, the body and mouthfeel are quite pilsneresque, for an 8.8% brew. The appeareance is clear, but do I detect a slight hint of chillhaze? There is a bit of a sweet malt quality somewhere in the middle of a taste, but much less than I expected from something this strong. It must have taken quite a bit of care in the fermentation of such a beverage. Do take note: it's easy to think your drinking a light lager here... take your time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle hand carried back from the Rogue Ale House in PDX.

Beautiful clear light golden color with a thick white foamy head. A clean pilsner aroma with a nice hop presence. The flavor is crisp with a strong alcohol bite balanced with just enough hops.

This is a great Imperial Pilsner. Rogue and Morimoto really know their stuff. I'm just sorry I don't have some sushi, teriyaki or udon to go with it.

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

This was a strange pour, the first half of the bottle was much brighter than the second half and had more head. The second half poured a hazy gold with no head (but both halves tasted basically the same). It smelled of lemony yeast and some malt. It tasted very strongly of citrus hops with a dominate grapefruit flavor. It was slightly thick with minimal carbonation, and had a long bitter aftertaste. Overall it was a decent but unbalanced beer.

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

750 ml ceramic swing-top bottle:

Pours hazed amber with a thick white head that slowly descends to a lasting thin cover. Foamy lacing sticks to the glass.

The smell is grainy/grassy with an assertive floral hop presence.

The taste is initially very sharp and bitter in a floral way. Sterling hops certainly aggressiveGrainy/grassy background. As it progresses, the pils malt, that was overwhelmed by the sharp hops, comes through more. Alcohol is well-covered for the most part, but adds more dryness to the finish.

Near- full-bodied. Initial harshness eases at it progresses, but it still is a slow sipper. Interesting, but there are examples of style I would prefer...Too pricey to have as any kond of regular or rotating - don't know if it was worth the price, though the bottle is cool!

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap @ Rogue Public House Portland

Pale orange-straw color, slight bit cloudy with small head that does some lacing.

Sweet light Pils malt, floral bouquet with a bit of grassy hops and some graininess.

Initial grainy Pils malt flavor builds to a bit of sweetness before the bitter floral hop bite comes to clean the palate.

Moderate/medium mouthfeel, soft yet substantial. Pretty good for a Double Pils, but still not that drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a hazy, deep golden-amber, almost orange, with a half-inch pillowy off-white head, which fades slowly leaving a thin cap. There's a steady stream of carbonation. Left beautiful lacing down the glass.

Pleasant nose of floral hops dominates, but there are some faint citrus notes as well. There is some yeast in the back, along with some biscuity malt notes lingering in there.

Taste is bready malts up front, followed by a carbonated tingle on the tongue which leads into some nice piney, floral hops which lend themselves to a moderate bitterness and a fairly dry finish.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel with a slight creamy feel to it.

Excellent drinkability; this one went down nice and smooth, and I could have easily polished off a second bottle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 Pint, 10 fl oz white, ceramic, swing-top bottle purchased for $13.99 from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield... For the hefty price I shelled out for this American brew, I was expecting big things from this one...
Luckily, I wasn't dissapointed...
Pours a bright-orange, light copper color with an enormous head that exhibited impressive staying power - very nice image for an Imperial Pilsner...
Smell was unique, bursting with lemon, citrus, and floral aromas...
Very unique, powerful, rich, and thick flavor -apparent citrus, lemons, fresh florals, cream, bitter-sweet vanilla, and a touch of caramel... - by far, one of the best Pilsners that I have ever sampled... I really enjoyed Rogue's Uber-Pilsner, and this one was a step above their originial depiction of the style...
Excellent rich mouthfeel, very thick for a Pilsner...
Drinkability was also top-notch, and the hefty 8.8% ABV was very well-masked behind a rich combination of fresh flavors...
Definitely recommended...

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Served from a very ornate glazed ceramic flip top 22 oz bottle, into a Boston Lager glass.

Appearance is decidedly Pilsner, straw colored but not thin, notable white head which dissapates slowly, but leaving little lacing and by the end, vaporizing completely.

Aroma is very pilsner like but double-pilsner, it could not be more to style. Slightly soapy, slightly malty, with notable floral hops, like Saaz, but I read that they are Sterling (a Saaz derivative). As the glass warmed up, sweet aroma was more evident.

Flavor is again exactly to style, it tastes like a double pilsner, but perhaps with slightly excess sweetness at the finish. Plenty of hops evident.

Mouthfeel is perfect, smooth and heavy on the tongue with very notable bitterness.

Drinkability is very good. This is a style which is difficult to get right, and this beer is spot on. Let's be honest here, this is a real Imperial Pilsner. Sam Adam Hallertau, in contrast, is an imperial IPA made with H. Mittelfrueh hops. So, if the scoring was BCJP certified, Morimoto would win hands down. But because I'm a hophead IIPA addict, I score Hallertau higher at the end of the day. I highly recommend Morimoto Imperial Pils.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

My folks bought me back a bottle of the Morimoto Imperial Pilsner from a recent trip they took. I'm not much of a "Pils-man", but I found this beer to be very enjoyable and drinkable. I love the packaging that Rogue chose for its XS line. I didn't have my regulation tasting snifter on hand over at my folk's place, so I used a standard straight sided water glass. The beer poured a deep golden color and was crystal clear. The head was very thick and remains until the beer was entirely consumed. The smell was musky, but had a relatively strong hop aroma. The beer had a good amount of hoppy bitterness, but also smooth malty tones in the background. I can't say that this beer will switch me of to pilsners from ales, but I am definitely going to recommend this beer to all my buddies.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Sample was on tap at the 2008 Brew Kettle Ogre Fest (Strongsville, OH.).

Appearance is of a golden hue, with decent head, some of which sticks around to the end. A swirl of the glass produces nice lacing.

Aroma was mainly from the Sterling hops, which are floral and citrusy. Taste follows the nose pretty closely, with some biscuity malt flavors to back up the large hop presence. This is indeed a hoppy brew, but not 'over the top'. and easily quaffed. Finish is dry, but not astringent. Comparing this to Sam Adams Imperial Hallertau Pilsner, I'd have to say it's not quite as hoppy. The 8.8% alcohol is well hidden in this Rogue offering.

A fine offering by Rogue Ales, and a beer to seek out and enjoy.

Cheers

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a cloudy gold, light orange with a nice frothy head that sticks to the side of the glass. Some very nice floral and herb hints in the aroma, almost nothing in the hop department. Taste is smooth and clean like a pilsner, tad bit of fruitiness, but mostly the clean cut grass taste from a great German pilsner. Pronounced hop character comes through towards the end with a nice bitterness, slightly bigger than a normal pilsner, but not too overwhelming.

This is the first Imperial Pilsner I have had that comes close to resembling a pilsner, even better than DF's Golden Era. Most have too much hoppiness, so that you can barely tell what it is. This one did it right.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

750ml bottle into a pilsner glass.

Pours a clear golden color. Has a nice pillowy head and sticky lace.

Smell is slightly flowery. Pilsner malts and a hint of hops.

Taste is crisp yet fruity. Starts off with some citrusy notes. Gets more bready throughout. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall, this is a crisp and clean yet flavorful beer. Easy to drink this and not notice the high abv. until the bottle has been emptied. One of my favorite Rogue brews.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a nice gold color with a nice, but thin head. The smell of both hops and malt were very noticeable even before drinking. This beer is strong, but very well balanced. The chewy malt character is balanced well with a big dose of hop goodness. For such a strong beer, the alcohol flavor is balanced out well too. I could drink a few of these, but the price may prevent me from doing so.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

I poured this beer from a 1 pt. 10 fl. oz. ceramic flip top bottle into a wine glass. I had been unable to get a temperature in the bottle and noticed the level in the bottle appeared to be low. I subsequently poured the glass into a one quart measuring cup with the rest from the bottle. The measurement stunned me with a reading of 20 ounces. Is this some sort of ‘different’ pint? To say I was disappointed would be an understatement since I paid $15.07 with tax for this bottle. An objective review may be difficult. Anyway, a puffy, white, cloud like head of 3 fingers resulted from the initial pour with nice lacing during the 5 plus minutes the head took to dissipate. The coloring was light orange and amber with a moderate amount of carbonation. No date information was located.

The aroma was yeasty with hops dominating the malt. The bouquet was clean and pleasant.

Hops carried through on the taste with no detectable heat or warmth from the alcohol. A nice sweetness came about later.

This beer had a good mouth feel without any tastes or flavors overstaying their welcome. A step above ordinary pilsners in flavor, this beer could enjoy dual roles as a thirst quencher and one to mull over. I would hate to pay the price though for just being used as a thirst quencher.

Overall a good beer and I hope the problem of not being full is a one time deal. I do not think it was ullage as the beer still tasted good but then what do I know. I’m po’d!

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Thick white head on a really cloudy orange golden body.
S- Lots of grass hops in the nose. Hints of malt with a bit of the yeast coming through in the nose.
T- The only other Imperial Pilsner I have had is the Sam Adams one so needless to say I was expecting a lot more hops in this. Grass hops come through with a caramel body to balance them out. Yeast comes through it all a bit staying around for the aftertaste too. Seems a little bland in flavor especially for 8.8%ABV. Smaller bitterness is left behind in the aftertaste with some of the caramel from the malts too.
M- Medium to full body with really low smooth carbonation.
D- It is easy to drink but just pretty bland tasting besides the bitterness from hops afterward. I would think this would be a great beer if it was sold in 6-packs for $6-8. I will probably not buy this again but I wouldn't mind a bottle for free at all.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Picked up a 750 ml designer bottle at Cost Plus back in late May for $12.99.

Beer poured a golden color with a nice white head. Nose is sweet, of pilsner malts and floral hops. Taste is a blast of those pilsner malts balanced nicely by a generous amount of hops. Mouthfeel is full bodied and is decently carbonated which provides a smooth and lively treat on the palate. Drinkability is very good. The alcohol is very well masked in the taste and has a way of sneaking up on one! This is a very nice representation of the style. If you have the cash to splurge this is definitely one to try!

4.08/5  rDev +1%

In a moment of weakness, I shelled out $15 for 26oz of this. Here's hoping the ratings are close to my bottle!

Pours an effervescent lightly hazed pinkish straw color with 3 fingers of pearl white head. Hazing never cleared, got worse a t the bottom of the bottle, zero head retention & lacing

S: Big time apple skin & some straw

T: Lemony & grassy hops along with some cereal notes up front. Slight boozeyness, metallic& grassy notes, fruittyness (passion fruit, pineapples, apricots,& apples), prior to grapefruit hops trying to take over. Finishes with more fruityness (pineapple, especially) & grapefruitty hops This style has room for interpretation & it's good to something besides in your face hops, although there's a place in my wheelhouse for that too.

MF: Slick, low carbonation, but bubbles are steadily releasing subtle hoppyness with medium body propping all this up.

Drinks a little slow, due to the complexity of this beast, hides the ABV well. Let this warm up a bit more than usual. At first I hated this, but as the complexity grew on me, I figured out what the buzz is about. Still disappointing visually. I'd love to find this on draft. Not worth what I shelled out, but not bad

Morimoto Imperial Pilsner from Rogue Ales