Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,780 | Reviews: 1,405
3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured out a 22 oz. bomber.
A: Dark brown with a hint of reddish hues, rootbeerish in color. Tan head that dissipates very quickly-I'm dissappointed with the head retention even after a vigorous pour.
S: Hazelnut, roasted/burnt nut, chocolate and fig smell all on a canvas driven by malt. Also a hint of bread in the b-ground.
T: Paralleling the smell the taste is encircled around a backdrop of malt. Definate hazelnut, bitter chocolate and fig tastes up front with malt throughout and especially in finish-sweet and malty. Also flavors of bread poking around. Sweet malt throughout.
MF: A smooth, medium mouthfeel that sits and rolls off the tongue nicely.
Overall: A solid Rogue offering and a great after dinner beer. May be too malty "sweet" for consumption anytime but after dinner. Makes for a nice desert beer though and I enjoyed the infused hazelnut-in taste and aroma.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Strong nutty aroma, not as strong nut flavor. Taste did not jump out at me, and didn't linger either. A little higher carbonation than I prefer. Overall pretty decent though, and I would drink it again if offered. Probably won't be on my shopping list though.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

It's been nearly a week since I enjoyed this Rogue offering. I'll write as descriptively as possible, but don't expect many details.

I purchased the beer several weeks ago, but never got around to drinking it. It sat in my fridge since, until last Sunday afternoon, and I had a hankering for a brew. I drank this beer much too cold to get the best experience out of it.

Nothing over-powering in the aroma. Hints of sweet malt and hazelnut were the predominant qualities. Tastes, aside from being too cold, malty, with a slight hop bite in the back of the mouth. The hazelnut flavor was not as strong as expected, and not nearly as powerful as the chocolate taste in the chocolate stout.

Good beer, or maybe it just hit the spot. Either way, it's a good beer that I will buy again.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

In a pint glass, the thin layer of foam quickly dissipates above a red-brown translucent body.

As you would expect from the name, the aroma is very hazelnutty- reminding me of drinking a flavored coffee.

To my flavor-sensing mechanisms, it seemed to have a low malt presence with at least half of its taste coming from a grapefruit-like citrus finish. Not at all what I was expecting with the hazelnut preview.

Light-bodied, it's carbonation was like a flat soda.

Although it is a dark-colored beer, I imagine it as a good summer thirst-quencher with its strong citrus taste.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the shop poured at home. Pours medium brown color, slightly clear, with a small white head. Smell is nutty hazelnuts, hint of chocolate. Dryer than expected, but very good hazelnut notes pairing well with the very light chocolate. Not particularly bold in the flavor, but not completely watered down. Finish lingers in a way that I don't like. A bit of a stale aftertaste. Overall a decent brown.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

dark brown, almost opaque in color, with a thin tan head. Smells sweet & nutty. As advertised, you can pick out the hazelnut very easily. Not my favorite Brown Ale - I'd rather drink an Ellie's Brown. Overall though, not a bad beer for something a little different.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%

This brew poured a medium tan head with fine-small bubbles into my glass. It had fair lacing on the sides of my mug. The body was brown in color. This brew in my opinion has a coffee flavor to it which I enjoyed. There was no bitterness to this brew which is to my liking. It had a slightly sweet aftertaste to it that was not overwhelming to me.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer, Raleigh, NC.

Our table was fairly evenly divided over this one -- either loved it or hated it. I gave it a robust "Good Lord!" upon first sip. It definitely drinks stronger than the 6.22% ABV that it is. Flirts with the possibility of being too sweet, but the folks at Rogue yet again pull off something that otherwise shouldn't really work.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

983rd Review on BA
Draft to Pint
16 oz

@Yardhouse, Chino Hills, CA

App- A rich semi clear mahogany wood stain brown with a well poured two finger head that fell to a wonderful wall of cling and sticky lacing.

Smell- It has huge hazelnuts aromas on this one. Pretty much one-dimensional with a pretty watery malty note. A touch of vanilla

Taste- Just over the top hazelnut but wasn't balanced by a certain thickness. Had a watery malty flavor but additionally the soft vanilla carried out. It's flavorful but just too watery for me and thin.

Mouth- Light/medium body and light/medium carbonation level with some residual malts and some nutty hazelnut

Drink- Not my favorite offering from rogue but they do advertise the hazelnut and I appreciate that they actually delivered on that promise. Probably wont come back to this one, but oh well.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%

A. Dark amber appearance with a light tan two finger head that breaks quickly to leave a thin covering.

S. Smells of hazelnut and caramel malts. This doesn't really float my boat since the hazelnut reminds me a little bit of how vomit can smell.

T. Good thing it doesn't taste like vomit - I get mainly caramel malt and graham cracker. Leaves a prickly, lingering finish with the hazelnut really coming into focus.

M. Light to medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

O. A decent beer that was pretty easy to drink but nothing I need to revisit.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a porter-like dark-brown from the bottle. A few fingers of nice tan foam and relatively good head retention as well. Smells quite sweet and malty, with nice smoky and nutty undertones. The flavor doesn't really live up to the aroma unfortunately. Starts off well enough; malty, nutty, smoky, and strangely refreshing. As the beer warms, however, it develops a sticky sweetness that begins to overpower the palate. The hops are essentially missing-in-action, so there's not much here to balance the sugars. Sticky and medium bodied in the mouth.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured brown with a small brown head which dissipated rather quickly leaving a lingering collar.

Aroma of nuts, sweetness and malts.

Taste is quite sweet. Hazelnuts become quite prevalent. Malts and chocolate also present.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and smooth.

I found this to be OK, but too sweet. After one glass, I had enough. The sweetness was too much and the hazelnut became cloying. Not bad, but one was plenty.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A vigorous pour yielded only a thin yet creamy and condensed tan head atop a cloudy deep amber brown body. The head thinned out even more to but a slight film. Aroma is malty, nutty and with noticable hops present and hints of coffee and chocolate. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a creaminess to it. Flavor is reminding me of Sam Smiths nutbrown yet definately more bitter. Finishes a tad dry. Overall would be better if less bitter in my opinion.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a 22 oz. bomb, I got a very dark, amber color with a tan head that recedes rather quickly but laces well. I'm picking up malts and some nutty earthy tones in the smell. It tastes of nuts, caramel, toasty malts and there is a small bitter hop flavor at the end. Mouthfeel is decent, it is quite thick, about what I expected for the brown ale. Rogue has some better ones out there, but this isn't one to write off either.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clean deep amber to brown in color with a small light tan head. In the aroma, sweet to dry nuttiness and a sweet malt. In the taste, sticky-sweet nuttiness and a sweet malt. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, sweet nuttiness in the aftertaste. Sticky sweet that can be a bit much when it gets warmer, but mostly enjoyable.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I choose to approach this as a Brown Ale. The color is dark for the style. The head is beautifully irregular and retains adequately.
While there is nothing objectionable in the aromas or flavors, it does seem that that the ingredients of the beer stand out obtrusively. I take it as a cardinal rule of cooking, as well as brewing (or any art for that matter,) that if you can sense the conscious work of the producer, then they added too much. Call it "contrived." Bam! chocolate malt. Bam!, hazelnut extract. There is very little integration to this beer. No zen. No bliss. Nevertheless, for anyone craving overt stimulation, this is a sound beer, and entertaining. In a loud bar it might be completely appropriate. While it does nothing to hurt Rogue's deserved high reputation, it doesn't help either.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

they say this beer is made with malt, hops, barley, water, and flavour?

Anybody know what 'flavour' means? I am guessing some sort of syrup or something they've added but I have no idea.

other that that it is a very drinkable beer. I've never had a beer like this before, and would probably have it no more than a couple times per year.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. A vigorous pour gives a nice thick off white to tan colored head. The color is brown but on the lighter side of brown. The smell is sweet with hints of chocolate and toffee. The taste follows suit with a basic Brown ale character low to no hops. Semi sweet with a hint of chocolate. The mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Overall a good beer but not as good as Sam smith and dfh

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a burnt orange/light brown body, small light-tan head with some retention and thin, clingy lacing

S: A caramelscotch hazelnut with faint sweetness

T: Very roasty tasting hazlenut flavor with roasted caramel secondly, roasted aftertaste with notes of roasted malts and chocolate aftertaste

M: Medium, bubbly carbonation, tingly on the tongue. Just a little too much.

D: This one is difficult for me...it's got so much carbonation and roasted, almost smoked or burnt nut taste, not a sweet taste, that lingers in the burps. Not a beer that I could drink more than one of in a sitting.

I really wanted this to taste fantastic and was disappointed, especially with the price factored in. I wouldn't buy this again.

Dark Brown.

Fruit, coffee beans, hazelnut, chocolate and cream in the aroma. Fantastic flavor.

The malts combined with the hazelnut provide a deep, rich flavor with notes of hazelnut, coffee, cream, nuts, chocolate, fruit and caramel. The hops are spicy but overtaken by other flavors. A unique brown ale. Very tasty.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 9/16/08. Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a thick tan head. Aroma of roasted malt, coffee (hazelnut I suppose), slight nuts. Flavor is quite nutty (hazelnuts and walnuts) with a slight sweet malt backbone. Good beer, interesting flavor!
7/4/7/4/14 (3.6/5)

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%

A- Pours a 1 finger head that is very light brown in color. Beer itself is a deep chestnut/brown color with hints a red. Leaves nice lacing

S- Deep smell of toasted nuts, hazelnut is definitely there, slight chocolate, but it is mostly a deep rich toasted nut smell that makes me feel like it is Fall.

T- The hazelnut is the first thing you taste and the laste thing that lingers. It is like the artificial crap in some coffee and/or creamers. Tastes too much like an fake extract to me and not "real" enough. You can taste some other toasted nuts, chocolate male, cinnamon, nutmeg, but the hazelnut just dominates the other flavors. Definitely gets better and more balanced as it warms but still nothing special.

M- Slightly thin but nice carbonation level

O- Not the most drinkable beer because the hazelnut taste gets old. Not executed as well as I feel it could have been, becvause I think the idea is great but too sweet and extracty for me. I love nut brown ales and hazelnut seems like a perferct addition or showcase but please tone down the extract to let the other flavors shine more. I think it would really help the beer out

Session notes from March 13, 2007:

Poured a 22oz. bomber into a tankard.

A: Pours dark red-brown with a thick tan head that soon thins out to almost nothing, then disappears altogether.

S: Nutty and sweet.

T and M: Goes down quick and smooth, but there’s not much here to speak of flavor-wise. Has minimal complexity and is moderately carbonated with a little syrupy finish. This ale just doesn't seem to live up to its name. Maybe I got a bottle that had bathed in the store's fluorescent light for too long.

D: Fairly drinkable, but not all that enjoyable.

Will try again based on the overwhelming majority of positive reviews, but I've got to call it like I taste it for now.

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%

This brew pours a creamy small head of light brown bubbles and a semi transparent dark brown body. With a mild malt aroma, this brew has a taste of caramel and spice with just a hint of coffee flavoring. It goes down very smoothly yet leaves a slight dry lingering after taste of the coffee flavoring.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Dark brown with a red hue to it, has a almost tan colored head that leaves no lacing. Smell, as expected is very nutty, hazelnut and I thought maybe even a cocoa smell to it. Taste is definately full of hazelnut and I notice the cocoa more in the taste than the smell, with a hint of coffee in the finish. Light in body and highly carbonated, this is a good beer that I can see myself having again.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales