Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 3,817
3.44/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Solid brown, small head that dissipates to paper thin quickly

S - some hints of coffee surprisingly.

T - green. too green. like a sugar water with a little tartness. No nutty taste, but again hints of coffee.

M - very nice, but takes a back seat to the disappointing taste.

Overall, I'm starting to think i must not like Brown Ales in general. I tasted the same gross "green" taste in BBC Nut Brown Ale, Newcastle is very average, and I can't remember having any others. (480 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

22 oz. bottle of the Morimoto version...

Appearance: dark brown w/ a dark tan creamy clingy head, good lacing (as always with Rogue), great clarity, lots of clinging bubbles

Aroma: caramelly sweetness, slightly roasty, subtle nuttiness, a touch of woodsy hops, metallic twinge

Flavor: luscious maltiness balanced out with a restrained piney hop flavor and bitterness, slight tanginess, some coffee notes, the nutty hazelnut essence sort of hangs back in the palate, aftertaste verges on an acrid quality (without that, it would be a 4-4.5)

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, some astringency on teeth, pretty smooth

Overall Impression: If you read some of my other Rogue reviews, I was pretty disappointed by their lack of balance. But I've kept trying more of their beers because I they are a highly respected brewery. This is the third one I've found that I am happy with. Nicely balanced, tasty, unique. I can now safely say that Rogue is a capable, diverse, respectable brewery. Not all of their beers are hop-bombs. (1,044 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Had this on-tap last night at Spike's. Served into a pint glass.

Appearance: Body is a deep, dark mahogany color with not a whole lot of visibility. Head is thin and white (or maybe off-white - room was poorly lit) and drags light lace.

Smell: Toasted malt is quickly eclipsed by large hazelnut aroma. Piney hops add a pleasant sting in the finish.

Taste: Loads and loads of sweet hazelnut, followed by pine, spice, and citrus. Hops provide for a clean, mildly bitter, ending. Definitely good, but hazelnut needs to be toned down in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, chewy, and clean-finishing. Carbonation is right where it needs to be. Really great, except the body is a tad syrupy and heavy.

Drinkability: Too much sweetness for me to call this one drinkable. On top of that, body is beefier than I'd like. This is a great beer to try, but I wanted to be done with it after half a pint. (891 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

This one poured into the glass a deep brown color with ruby highlights. When it was backlit it appeared to be slightly hazed. The head was a short-lived tan foam that fell to the proverbial wispy cap. The lace was spotty, at best.
The smell was faintly Tootsie Roll, caramel, light spicy hops, and yes of course, a lightly hazelnut nuttiness.
The taste was interesting. The hazelnut added a powdery dryness and unusual texture. The Pacman hops did add a pleasant light bittering to the finish.
A fairly light body and the moderate carbonation give this a fairly thin, yet creamy mouthfeel.
I found this offering from Rogue to be what could be the most subtle of their beers that I have tried to date.
It is drinkable, but seems to lack direction. Had it been maltier or hoppier or even had a more pronounced hazelnut signature I would have enjoyed this one more. This was the first and only time I have been underwhelmed by a Rogue product. (950 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Held to the light this beer is a deep crystal clear amber, but without light it is a hazy looking reddish brown looking treat. A nice thick creamy head forms but the lacing is lacking (the pint glass I poured it in was squeaky clean) and the head falls after not too much time.

I’m really just smelling hazelnut and perhaps a hint of coffee (I have to admit the only time I’ve smelled hazelnut was in coffee so it’ a bit hard for me to tell where one ends and the other begins). A strong swirl of the glass gives off the caramel malt and a touch of perhaps toast. This beer is rather lacking in aromas over all and the aromas there are very subtle in nature.

One of the things I like most about brown ales is that they have the ability to be extremely complex. By their very nature they bring out chocolate, coffee, toast, hints of hops, and essentially can take on nearly any flavor in the stout, porter, and ale world. This beer is a wonderful example of that. There is certainly a nutty flavor here, toast, caramel, light hints of chocolate, perhaps a bit bready, and a hop finish that never turns bitter (no idea how old this bottle is) but adds a certain citrus element to the finish. That said there’s nothing intense, assertive, or aggressive out of this one. A bit more flavor than is required for a brown, but hardly anything getting into the imperial world

The beer pours a nice head, but really could use some carbonation, badly! It is on the line between being thick or being a nice easy to drink beer and I don’t care for that line here. Either make it lighter or make it a touch imperial. The middle ground doesn’t really work for me.

I hate to say this again, but Rogue stop charging these prices for your beer or at least stop bottling everything in bombers! At 7 bucks a bottle I can’t see any reason to ever come back to this beer unless on tap. This is a good brown ale and certainly worth trying, but the price truly hurts it. Good but not great and not worth the money. (2,011 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16%

This one is pretty strange. At first pour it looks amazing; deep reddish amber, small head, tight bubbles, great carbonation. Nose gets a little weird; biscuity, malty, and hazelnut... which doesn't seem to quite fit. Taste is very malty, syrupy sweet with hazelnut overtones. Sweetness lingers. Overall a nice effort, pretty much as expected. (343 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16%

If you like 7-11 coffee bars, you will like this beer. It poured a nice dark brown with only a fairly thick white head. The lace disappeared soon after beginning to drink. The aroma was nearly nonexistant. Malt and hops were supposed to dominate the taste, but I only tasted the hazelnut. I was particularly surprised that the hop characteristics were not more evident. The mouthfeel was medium light and not really exceptional. I would drink this beer again but because of its unique flavor, I think I would limit my intake to one pint. (537 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Not the biggest fan of brown ales, but this one is different. Very smooth taste, nice thick khaki head and feels great on the tongue. The hazelnut aroma is intoxicating but the overall taste and finish of this beer lacks. Like i said overall good just nothing amazing. (268 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a dark chestnut brown. Cafe au lait coloured head dissipates quickly which is disheartening.

S-rich roasted bread and caramel dominate with hints of roasted generic nuts

T-Seet caramel with roasted nut undertones. hop presence is minimal. There is maybe a hint of bitterness there. The sweet taste is pleasing though.

M-Medium bodied with a decent carbonation.

D-Overall this is tasty but not the best brown ale I have ever had. A tad more hops would be welcome (474 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

No freshness date, bottle had some dust on sides, but not an unusual amount. poured into english pint glass

Appearance: head-very little head, off white, leaves slick of residue on top of a deep brown mahogany body with hints of red. A slow stream of light bubbles rises with virtually no activity on top. A small ring of head is present throughout the beer, but leaving no lacing.

Smell: Aromas of watery scotch (whisky), flowers and peat upfront eventually overpowered by nutty hazelnut; overall aroma is sweet.

Taste: Sweet roasted bready malt with hints of honey and dark fruit fads into intense hazelnut coffee with caramel creamer. There is an off flavor that presents the beer to be artificial and a bit like cough medicine.

Mouth: Thin and watery, lacking carbonation sticky like cough syrup; lacking any sufficient body.

Drinkability: At first I thought this would be a drain pourer, however the second sip was better. I will not be buying this beer anymore, however I enjoyed the experience. I love hazelnut however I think it is a bit misrepresented in the beer, almost artificial. (1,099 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a tall mug from a 22oz bomber with no freshness date provided.

Appearance- 3.5 out of 5. Two fingers of extremely creamy tan lace top a dark ruddy-brown beer. It's enthralling to watch the remarkably active carbonation tear through the brew. There is no hint of any discoloration from the extract. It is clear in the light but otherwise opaque, making it more umbral than a normal brown ale.

Smell- 4.5 out of 5. There's nothing standard about the nose. Rogue was clever to take a typical Brown Ale note and amplify it with actual extract; this stuff smells like hazelnut mocha mixed with beer. It's unusual but interesting. Hints of caramel and bread crust linger beneath the nuttiness. Regardless of how it tastes, I'd be tempted to leave a few glasses of this lying around the house just to make the place smell nice.

Taste- 3 out of 5. Toasty, roasty malt backs up a huge wave of hazelnut. It's intense but still a hair away from being overpowering. Caramel, cherries, and plums mingle in the mouth along with a strange smokey-sweet combination. Whatever hops Rogue used are utterly lost in the hazelnut wave, as is any taste of alcohol. A smokey, nutty aftertaste sticks around for a while. The taste is pleasant, but I'm not inclined to drink great quantities. This seems like more of a dessert beer.

Mouthfeel- 3 out of 5. Creamy but still manages to stay moderate in body. Because of the strong hazelnut flavor, it's easier to sip than quaff. A bit of stickiness lasts on the lips.

Drinkability- 3 out of 5. With some smoked barbeque or some German chocolate cake, this would be awesome. In the absence of complimentary cuisine, however, it's a bit too strong to drink more than one 22oz bottle-- even I had a hard time finishing it. It was a good experience and not a bad drink by any means, but barring a drastic influx of pork and cake into my diet, I won't be picking up another. It would be great to split with a friend or two after dinner. (1,970 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured a beautiful dark brown almost black with a nice thick tan head that lasted a bit before dissappearing...
Aroma was slightly nutty...actually minimally nutty...sweet malt
Taste was more of the same...slightly nutty sweet malt maybe some roasted malt flavor...tasted like a typical nut brown ale...there was not enough taste to my liking...many other rogue beers are very flavorful...this was not anything special...
Mouthfeel was nice slight creamy feel...
Overall better than average but I will not buy this again (524 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer arrived brown with rusty undertones, wearing a beige head with slight retention and lacing. The aroma consisted of caramel malt, hazelnut, vanilla, coco, and tobacco.

The flavor is nutty, predominantly hazelnut, as one would expect, with a trace of bright beery, sweet caramel malt, and a light dash of syrup.

The mouth is light to medium, a little bright on the front, dry semi-dry and nutty on the finish. It's drinkable, but after sampling it both on-tap and in the bottle, I doubt I will give it another taste. I think it was better overall in the bottle--better carbonation and complexity. But it failed to knock my socks off in either format. I would suggest looking elsewhere in the Rogue catalogue. (722 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz into a snifter. Pours a clear ruby amber w/ a minimal head that dissipates quickly to a thin film, then disappears almost completely. Moderate carb rises from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma has a light roasty nuttiness I can't quite ID, must be the hazelnut. Not getting much, and this beer is not cold.

Taste has the same roasty hazelnut character as the nose. Some sweet caramelly malt blends with the slightly bitter roast, a hint of cinnamon. Dry bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but balanced. Maybe a little prickly.

Overall, I'm not really sure what to make of this one. If you're crazy about hazelnut, maybe this is your desert island beer. For me though, there's just not much here to latch onto. I almost feel like I got a bad bottle because this is just disappointing and... meh. It's not bad, I was just hoping for more. (850 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Well lookie here: A big bomber gives up the ghost with mahogany brown hues topped off by 1/4" of craggy dark khaki head cap.

Oooo that smell: Waffles and syrup scents lightly meander to the nose. Sweet caramel and fuzzy cocoa malts.

Tastes like chicken: Sugary Maple syrup flavors overtake the palate. Buttery taste with some light pecan nuttiness and delicate cinnamon. Lingering spice cake like flavors stick around for a bit. Leaves a hazy fuzzy feel with cocoa and light chocolate notes.

Can ya feel it? Medium bodied with s sticky lip smackin' sugary tack.

Gas 'n go: If there is a better brown out there , I'd be curious to try it. That being said, this is a good brown but on dimensional and cloying. I won't try this again, but it was cool to try. Forgetable, but not regreatable and edible. (813 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Rogue in Portland, this is good but not great. It has a strong hazelnut character and not much else, so it's great if you're into beer that tastes like hazelnut candy but not if you're not. As for me, I'm not a big hazelnut-beer person, but that said, it has a firm, clean hazelnut quality. The biggest problem is that I think the hazelnut should be one element adding to a complex whole, yet here it is pretty much hazelnut with the other elements just barely able to show themselves.

Dark brown with some red hint, it has a thin tan ring.

Aroma is hazelnut with a toasty hint.

Taste is hazelnut up front, then joined by some sweetish toasty maltiness and light earthy bitterness to balance. It's balanced, neither too bitter nor too sweet, pretty drinkable, and the character is, as said, clean and firm. However, the hazelnut definitely dominates, and too much in my opinion, rendering it rather one-dimensional, so I doubt I'll actually buy it again. Hazelnut to me can be good in beer if it is a slight additional element adding to complexity of a beer that does not overall taste like hazelnut. (1,114 characters)

22 oz bomber into a pint

A - I guess it passes the eyeball test on what a brown ale should be - although the light does reflect some almost cherry colors to it as well. Formation of the head is quick and leaves just as quick. Seems to be off-white in color. Lots of carbonation going on inside.

S - Almost a sweet maple syrup smell to me (make note of a possible reduction in food). Some hints of nuts. No hops or yeast.

T - Starts off rather thin - neither malt or bitter aggressiveness. Mid-stream increases the bitterness ever so slightly. Maybe a hint of the spiciness of our old friend the pac-man yeast. Finishes with a nutty hit from the hazel nut. Aftertaste is generally not present.

M - A higher than average carbonated beer. Makes it a hair stringing on the tongue. The body of the beer itself seems too thin.

D - Moderate to low drinkability. I find the flavor profile to be somewhat repetitive and the carbonation heavy on the palette. ABV is manageable. (972 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Served in a standard shaker at The Saucer. Pours a deep, pretty brown color with some ruby hues and limited light penetration. It lacks any head to speak of and leaves no lacing to the glass. The nose is a good strong, sweet malt with some woody, earthy hops undertones. It has a strong smell of toasted cereal and just a hint of that hazelnut. The flavor is just too much hazelnut to me. The hops do a good job of cutting down the double whammy of malty sweetness and the hazelnut, which in this case tastes almost like Starbucks hazelnut syrup has been added. Finishes dry with a pretty good palate feel. I hesitated to review this beer due to my growing distaste for hazelnut purely because I'm sick of all the flavored syrups at coffee bars. Therefore, I really tried to review this one with the style in mind first of all, and my palate second of all (which is what I try to do no matter what). I even when back for a second round just to finalize my thoughts. I really think that overall, the hazelnut was just too much and overwhelmed the natural malt goodness of a good brown. (1,084 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A- cloudy light brown with a long lasting creamy white head
S- sweet and nutty
T- a little sweet, with maybe some hazelnut but it lacks the richness and depth of hazelnut. Or any other nuttiness. No hops noted. Not much roasted malt flavor that I would also expect from a brown ale.
M- a little thinner than I wanted. No carbonation.
O- not bad but sort of a one note song. Lacks the depth a brown should have. (410 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17%

I messed up - I don’t like hazelnut, and asked if this one tasted like it. Nope was the answer. Well it does, what a surprise.

Oh well, clear and dark oak pour, surprisingly little head. Hazelnuts and caramel in the aroma and taste. Also noted some chocolate and coffee. I would have luved this one without the hazelnut extract.

Medium bodied. I won’t get this one again, but because of the hazelnuts – did I mention I the hazelnuts nauseate me? (454 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

The gigantic (no, really) head is pale brown. The clear liquid is dark brown.

The mild smell got notes of nut crème, a touch of wet dog, roasted nuts and a mild bitter flavour.

The first taste is bitter. Notes of nut crème, but much more dry than the "real thing". Some sweetness and a fine bitterness. Hints of wood. The aftertaste is dry with notes of hops, crushed hazelnuts and a touch of phenols/soap.

The carbonation is mild, the small bubbles are smooth. The liquid is a little sticky.

Not the explosion of sweet nuts that I had hoped for. Still a good brown ale. (579 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a medium brown color that is transparent most of the way. A bubbly tan head forms at the top of the glass. Smell is a nutty presence but mostly seems a bit off with some grain and corn type aroma. Taste does remind me a little bit of peanut butter. Mouth feeling is strange since this one is kind of watery and little carbonation. (336 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is brown and mostly clear. Forms a decent sized head of small off white bubbles that leaves very little lacing on the glass. Looks OK.

Aroma is simple and has this roastiness to it.

Beer is medium to light in body and has an almost ash like backward flavor it. Carbonation in the mouth is minimal but the beer is quite drinkable. No aftertaste. All and all its an average uninteresting beer. (426 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Sampled at Brick Store Pub with the Atlanta B.A. crew. Hops and added flavour. Are browns needed? If I am going to have this, it might as well be on-tap. Colour-brown. I can see it appealing to some people and transitioning from coolers. A bit too much on the sweet side for my palate. (285 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured a nice woody brown color with a cream-colored head. Some lacing around the glass.

This smells really good. I can smell hazelnut up front with some chocolate and malts in there too. Smells delicious.

Wow. Hazelnut. It hits you right up front, then some sweet chocolate malts, a little bit of cream, then once again a hazelnut finish. No bitterness whatsoever.

This is a thick, creamy beer that lingers on your palate a little. Not much carbonation is present.

Overall, a pretty decent beer. I'm not a huge hazelnut fan, but if you like hazelnut then you'll love this brew. True to the namesake. (605 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales