Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,381 | Hads: 3,863
3.27/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Drank this one as Morimoto Hazelnut Signature Ale, not sure if it's a different beer but given other reviewers description it might just be.

Tawny and amber, good clarity and fairly good head and lacing.

Grainy malt bill, sweet like kids breakfast cereal, touch of cardstock. Not much nuttiness to be found, some grassy hops and maybe pecans.

Very tight grain bill here tastes alot like a clean amber ale with some caramel and residual sugar. Balancing hops are grassy and bright herbal, slightly astringent and leaves a stronger bitter kick behind than anticipated. Like the nose very little hazelnut to be found.

Fairly drinkable, light body, a touch over carbonated and very dry for a beer I expected to have more sweetness and nutty qualities.

Couldn't find the hazelnuts, quite disappointed in that. Not sure if I drank this one too cold or it was just made this way. I will revisit this one eventually, see other reviewers tell me that my palate is off the mark.

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a clear, red-brown ale with a yellowish white head that vanishes quickly. It has a nutty aroma that's a touch sweet. It's light and lively on the tongue. It leaves the mouth a little chalky and numb. It has lots of hazelnut flavor, not sweet nor dry. There is just enough bitterness to make it drinkable. There's a huge hazelnut aftertaste. It really delivers the hazelnut, but it's quite a stretch to call it a "nectar". This is OK, but mildly disappointing by Rogue standards.

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

A: It has a dark red and brown when in direct light, which deepens in color when not in direct light resembling an almost red wine-like appearance. Has a clear consistency with a beige head that retains well.

S: A definite nutty smell that is blended with malt. There is a slight sweet smell that I couldn't wrangle though..

T: A nice roasted malt flavors that make me have to give praise to the name. The hazelnut plays through pretty plainly and you don't have to stress yourself to taste it. There are other components such as coffee, chocolate (lighter than dark), some hops, alcohol, and a slight sweet and acidic signature.

M: Much lighter than I expected. Smooth, somewhat oily, with light hints of carbonation. Nice crispness and bitterness at the end.

D: This is definitely a nut brown and has qualities that make it unique and worth trying. The flavors really open up, and I would recommend allowing them to do so because the get much better.

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

Very nice dark brown color, but where's the head? It's nowhere to be seen. Great aroma of vanilla and chocolate, and hints of coffee, but I'm not getting hazelnut, nor any hops. Flavor closely matches, but also has a hint of marshmallow. Overall the flavor is too sweet, and the mouthfeel is decidedly slick and oily with low carbonation. The body of the beer is not appealing to me. I would not choose this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Almost more of a deep ruby red than brown. Head reduced pretty quickly, but is lingering on the edges, with a nice skim.

Definitely smells of the hazelnut. Almost overwhelmingly so. Faint chocolate notes, roasty, almost burnt. I'm not really excited about drinking it at this point.

Hmmm. It is tasty, but almost tastes like frangelico light. If you like hazelnut, you'll love it.

Feels a bit syrupy, taste definitely stays with you.

Fo me, this would work as a dessert beer or night cap, but otherwise the flavor is a bit too much.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

A: Brown with reddish amber notes around the edges. In a tulip glass, I got about two fingers of khaki marshmallow head. Dissipates at a medium rate, leaving a little lacing.

S: Hazelnut, baked bread, malts malts malts. I'm also getting a little bit of a tootsie roll smell on the end. After a second smell, I'm getting honey as well. A touch of brown sugar

T: BIG hazelnut with lots of malts. I'm still getting something through the middle that tastes like a tootsie roll or the hard candy part of a chocolate tootsie pop. It's feeling maltier and maltier as it warms and brown sugar is coming through. It could be bolder.

M: Yikes, y'all. This is really really watery. It's smooth, low carbonation, drinkable but SO thin-bodied in my opinion. Man, I wish there were more to this beer because it has such good potential.

O: Maybe it's just my palate because this beer got really good reviews, and I DO really enjoy the aroma and flavor but I just think this beer would be great if it were bold all-around. I wish it had all of the nose, taste, and mouthfeel except intensified a lot. That said, brown ales and stouts are kind of mah thang. I recently had DFH Palo Santo & Indian Brown which are both HUMONGOUS browns in body, flavor, aroma (and booze)..I would almost call palo santo a stout--so I might just still be in a different element. But yeah, this just needs some thickening.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too hazelnut forward and watery on the down swing. Also a little too sweet as well. Just not to my liking as much as it is to the rest of the bell curve.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not my favourite style, but a good version of it. Nice nuttiness and a smooth roasted profile. The malts have good depth but I always wish that beers like this had a slightly more hoppy finish to really exhibit and enhance the malts.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.
Nicely nutty and toasty for a brown ale, but the seemingly artifical (and overpowering) hazelnut extract really impedes this brew. More fake vanilla than anything. It does not taste bad, it just tastes forced. A subtler approach may yeild better results.
Smooth and creamy in the mouth. But I can't get over the cream soda comparisons.
This is alright as a change of pace, but the bomber was too much for me. It just got too sweet and fake tasting.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Maroon brown pour with a light tan head. Slightly transluscent but hazy. Smell is definitely big on hazlenuts with a lot of sweetness, and milkiness coming in as well. Smells like the hazlenut coffee creamers. Nice slightly thick body on the beer, smooth, and sweet nuttiness. Perhaps a bit overly sweet, but the big nutty flavor was welcomed. Nice for a brown, and pretty easy drinking.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

A - clear copper with a thick and dense foam.

S - Nutty with hazelnuts, bready and some fruit. Light toastedness.

T - Some hazelnut, but not as intense as expected. Bitterness is fairly hight and some fruitiness shows through. Strongly malty. Hints of coffee.

M - On the lighter side with a sharp carbonation.

D - Odd tasting combination. It's ok, but not something I would recommend.

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

A vigorous pour yields a small, pretty, foamy tan head wihch immediately dimples its way down to a thin froth and leaves very little lacing. The color is a not-quite-opaque dark brown which brings Ubu to mind. And yes, it smells strongly of hazelnuts.

The first stage is smooth, creamy, and sweet. The second stage kicks in very quickly, with lots of tingly stuff going on at the tip of my tongue which reminds me of those salty/bitter/sweet candies. My initial reaction to the first two stages is "Wow! Perky!" The hazelnut flavor really comes on strong in the second stage, and it sticks around as the flavor migrates to the back of my tongue while transforming into the somewhat bitter finish.

My reaction to this beer vacillates between "interesting" and "gimmicky". By the time I'm finished I'm leaning pretty heavily toward "gimmicky". The sweetness is nearly bludgeoning in its intensity; the sourness is actually necessary to counteract it! It's certainly interesting enough to be worth a try, but I doubt I'll be coming back to it.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle bought from the local supermarket

Had high hopes for this as really enjoyed the chocolate stout

As soon as I popped it had a bit of froth rising wanting to get out

Medium brown/sight tinge of red with a finger of head that settles quite quickly

Smells.. this is where the disappointment started for me. No real hazlenut notes here. Vaguely remember a homebrew kit that smelt very close to this. Nothing spacial.

Taste.. much the same. Getting a slight hazelnut taste here and a good finish. Quite abrupt.

Not a bad drop but expected more from a rogue beer after tasting their chocolate stout. Will definitely be buying more of their beers just not this one.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Very ambitious beer, but not exactly to my liking.

It looked great, and smell sweet but under control. However, I felt the sweet vanilla and hazelnut flavors get a bit too loose in the taste. At first, there's nothing, then it all hits you at once. The toasted, nutty flavors are all nice, just a little too sweet for me.

Motuhfeel is great, smooth and crisp. But it's a hard one to keep drinking.

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours chestnut brown with a cap of white head and some thin lace.

The aroma is not surprisingly full of hazelnut. A little bit of citrus in the background with some brown sugar in the background. Hazelnut flavors with some brown sugar. Seems to have an odd twange on the finish. I don't really know how to describe it.

The body is light with good carbonation. Overall not bad. I was excited to see this in six packs. But lets be honest here, I'm still going to pass.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a nice ruby red with a bit of a tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell is on the sweet side, the malt notes kick in first, then a bit of a candy like sweetness.

Taste is very much on the sweet side, but not overly so. There is a nuttiness there, and the sweetness is a bit different from the typical malt sweetness, maybe from the hazelnuts.

Feel is fairly standard for the style, no complaints here.

Overall a decent beer, but not a standout. It goes down very easy, and would be nice on a hot day, I would juts like a bit more fullness in the flavor. Worth a try, a nice variation on a brown ale.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

I split this with a couple of friends today.

Pouring dark brown with a thin, brown head that recedes to a ring rather quick. This is decent. The nose is just a little disappointing. Caramel and some brown sugar are noticeable, but what jumps right out are soggy corn flakes (unsweetened). Initially, the hazelnut is REALLY strong, but it gently fades, bringing a some of balance. The palate opens lightly sweet, with caramel, brown sugar and quite a bit of hazelnut flavor. Again, I get a strange soggy cereal flavor, rather off-putting. Mildly sweet on the finish, this is medium-light in body and has moderate carbonation. I don't know if this bottle is off, but this isn't all that enjoyable.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a medium dark brown w/ a very thin caramel colored head that quickly disappears. Looks good- wish the head was a little better. Smell is that of Hazelnut, chocolate, malt. Taste is good, but it feels a little thin to me taste-wise, I'd like the body to be thicker. Not much aftertaste, it kind of just evaporates into nothingness. Drinkability is decent. Maybe I've been drinking too many big high ABV beers lately, but this one is just above average in my book. A good session beer. This is a good beer, and I'm glad I tried it.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Saw the Morimotos thinking they were different from the normal Rogues, but they aren't. Regardless, I've not had the normal Hazelnut. Pours a dark amber color with a small, thick head that sticks around for quite some time. I could not find the hazelnut in the aroma, but I did find some chocolate hints along with some sweet malts. The flavor really showed the hazelnut much better than the aroma. Other flavors were chocolate and roasted malt. The mouthfeel was a little thin and bitter, but a fairly decent beer overall. There are other offerings from Rogue that I will probably try again before this one.

22oz bomber into Pilsner Glass

Let it warm up and breathe a little bit.

A: Cloudy brown, red-orange hues in the light. 1/8 inch head that quickly dissolves into rivers of tan foam.

S: Waffle, caramel, honey, apple

T: Syrup, much more bready than I expected, slight caramel, slight hazelnut, and slight overall nutty malt.

F: Bubbles, abrasive

D: Too much bread for me, but an interesting take on the American Brown Ale.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - dark brown in color, hazy, with about half a finger's worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - surprisingly not much of a smell at all. If I strain really hard I can tell that there's a hazelnut tinge to it, but that's about it.

Taste - at first it's more of a malty ale taste, but then right after the start the hazelnut flavor kicks in, which permeates into the finish and aftertaste a bit. Bitter aftertaste in general.

Mouthfeel - pretty well balanced overall, doesn't seem to lean more or less on the watery or creamy sides.

Overall - not a bad brew...tastes a bit like coffee. Not very interesting to think about though.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I haven't typically been a huge fan of Rogue's beers, and their questionable business practices make me hesitant to buy their brews, but the ratings of this one were such that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a single 12 oz bottle for less than 2$. Swampy brown with some very light copper - some clarity, some haze. Soapy, beige head tames itself to a stretch-out film rather quickly... this one certainly isn't much to look at.

Lots and lots of sticky toffee on the nose... even more so than hazelnut, I think. In fact, there's really only a light hint of hazelnut that I'm getting in the back, and it's a bit artificial and not quite so "nutty", if that makes sense. Think Frangelic Mountain Brown, only far less potent. Seems like a bit of oxidation has plagued this bottle as well, as I'm getting some unwanted hints of wet, boxed cardboard. Not enough to ruin things completely, but not a good sign.

Hazelnut is a bit stronger on the palate, thankfully. I also get nice hints of cola, toffee, dry cocoa powder, and a stronger nutty character in the finish. It's kind of woodsy and earthy, too, and unfortunately, that oxidized cardboard is present in the finish. Again, not so much as to make this beer undrinkable, but enough to be a slight hinderance. Not as sweet as I was expecting, rather dry and nutty with only a mild malty sweetness throughout.

Hops are relatively low... well, basically nonexistent, actually. That's fine, though, as I don't think they'd add much here. The body doesn't quite match the flavors - I'd like things to be a bit thicker, but maybe I'm asking for too much from a 6.2% ABV brown ale. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one, either. Even minus the oxidation, the flavors weren't working for me the way they seem to be for others. Would've liked a touch more hazelnut and a bit more sweetness. I'd like to try it again, unoxidized, but I won't be rushing to get another.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Beer poured out a very nice deep brown, slightly hazy, with light head and lacing. Beer smelled nice and sweet, with some chocolate and hazelnut aromas. The taste was not quite what I was hoping for, sweet, with some malt and hazelnut. Mouthfeel was too syrupy, but perhaps that is to be expected with a "nectar," also seemed very flat. All in all, very average I thought, somewhat disappointed from Rogue which is usually so good.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

A-pours a deep reddish-brown with thick khaki head the slowly dissipates into a well retained lace

S-mild chocolate and an earthiness I can put my finger on what exactly

T- this was the disappointing part, I get no hazelnut at all, I get a very plain no frills brown ale, which is good but not what I was expecting.

M- thinner then expected and over carbonated for my taste

O- good beer but not what I was expecting

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales