Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,780 | Reviews: 1,405
4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

One of my absolute favorites, which is saying something considering I'm not all that fond of brown ales. Toasted hazelnut with notes of bittersweet chocolate. Incredibly smooth, incredibly tasty.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

The beer is gorgeous. One could probably enjoy it without drinking it...but I don't recommend that kind of alcohol abuse.
The creamy thick head and deep brown body truly is a work of beer art. The smell is rich and nutty with hints of toffee and a slight alcohol bite. The taste is smooth and nutty with yet more hints of caramel and shares many characteristics of hazelnut flavored coffee. The finish is remarkably clean. The aftertaste has a bit of bitterness and slight alcohol that leaves the palate clean and ready for more.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

I picked up a bomber of this at Galeville Grocery in Liverpool.

The flavor of this beer is unreal. Sweet malt, sugary, vanilla, caramel and all things delicious. I don't normally like brown ales but this is probably the tastiest beer I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

This beer looks a little darker than your average brown ale mildly foggy. the head is an off white and has a decent retention
has a dark nutty smell with the hazelnut being prominent with a mild caramel scent
the taste is more complex than just hazelnut there is a blast of flavors the instant it hits my tongue and the hazelnut is brought out when it gets towards the back of my throat. it has a perfectly mild bitter finish
a medium to heavy mouthfeel which is what i prefer. this is probably one of my top beers and i could drink this stuff all night every night great job rogue brewery

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Definitely the little brother of the Rogue Chocolate Stout. A very drinkable beer, with a nice hint of the same great chocolate aroma that pervades the stout. This brown also has the same great hint of chocolate on the palate, smooth and tasty. A more dinkable beer than the stout, it has greater appeal to people who seek a beer that is not as bold as the stout.
Another great success by Rogue.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

This is simply a wonderful beer. I knew that when my conservative family failed to praise the beer that I had an obvious winner. They just don't know the difference between what is good and what is bad. I am generally not a nut brown fan, but this changed by mind about what could be done. Based on recollection, this one won an award. Deservedly so!

Yummy!!

Rich, dark brown body with a thin off white head. Lovely chocolate-hazelnut smell and the flavour is just as good. Rich. nutty, malty. No hop bitterness to hold back the nutty flavours.

My only complaint is that the body comes off as a bit heavy sometimes, but this is a very tasty, very good beer. Thank you Rogue for coming the GCBF!

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

This is one of my favorite beers, I believe this was my first craft brew years ago. Brown in color, with an intense hazenut smell. Big nutty flavor, smooth malty finish. If you love hazenuts you will love this brew. The beer brings to the table exactly what it describes.

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Awesomeness, DRINK IT NOW!
Beer tasting is not serious anyway, but this is good stuff. If you dont know what a brown ale is...SHAME ON YOU!
It looked brown, tasted like nectar would to bees (consider we are human) very smooth. I could drink this for a substitute of juice for breakfast any day. The only complaint is the bottle should be bigger or come in six pack of cans, cause I could shotgun about 6 of these bastards.

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

WOW!!! The deep-brown color with its smooth tan head make you want to drink this beer. Then the hazelnut and chocolate aromas hit the nose and only the strong of heart can resist. Tasting the beer is truly a religous experience, hazlenut, chocolate, coffee, brown ale...paradise. The only negative is that the beer body is a little thin for the style. Otherwise, find it and treat yourself to one of the very best. Buy two, one to savour the other to quaff quickly as your senses will beg it.

4.89/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Perhaps I'm biased but unless you hate hazelnuts, this is among the best brown ales around. Great nut aroma and balanced palate make this an enjoyable experience for any brown lover.

4.87/5  rDev +19.7%

Holy god damn crap of the pope, who knew nuts could taste so good in a beer?

A- Semi-transparent dark brown with a bit of red and a 3-finger frothy Rogue head that leaves plenty of lacing.

S- Smells like toasty sweet malts and HAZLENUTS EVAPORAITNG ALL IN YOUR NOSE.

T- Taste is delightful in every aspect. Delivers everything I could have expected. Sweet, toasted sugary malts and hazlenut upfront and enough hops to tell you you're drinking a beer.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel that doesn't feel overly slick or sticky. Just chewy goodness and silky carbonation

D- Nectar, this is. And it drinks like a nectar. Quite refreshing

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'll go ahead and say that first and foremost, I am a huge fan of Rogue Ales. Myself, and the bar I am employed at are members of Rogue Nation; not to mention I have Dead Guy tattooed on my leg.

That aside I have had the hazelnut brown nectar both in a bottle and on tap.

A- The ale pours out a deep transparent brown with a yellow cream head.

S- anyone without a cold can place their sniffer up to the bottle or the glass and get the pleasant aroma of hazelnut from this well crafted brew.

T- Easy drinking brown ale. This can be a one and done or an all night feast. Light in taste with a pleasing zing of hazelnut on the back end and smooth roast all the way through.

M- coats but doesn't linger on the pallet and is an easy transition either way.

Overall- This brew gets a majority of my recommendations for the in between drinkers.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

The bottle proclaims this to be the "World Brown Ale Champ." Impressive claim, though it doesn't specify the awarding institution. Ayways, it was enough to whet my curiosity. Pours ruby in color with a medium-tan, creamy head. The aroma is enticing -- roasted malt and hazelnut. Not too strong, just enough to increase my excitement to taste the beer. And wow. The taste. First thing that struck me was the incredible creaminess of this beer. Hazelnut lingers in the background behind a chocolate malt body. Decent hop bitterness to the beer, but very unassertive. Just enough to keep the finish from being cloying. Hazelnut reasserts itself in the aftertaste to a very pleasant effect. All in all a terrific beer -- sweeter than many browns but complex and well-balanced enough to keep it interesting all the way to the bottom of the botle.

4.84/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Dark brown with a very small tan head that leaves a desirable amount of thin lacing.

S - Nutty chocolate dark malts.

T - This is a sweet and rich brew full of all those things I love in a nut brown: caramel, chocolate, and you guessed it nuts, especially hazelnuts!

M - A little syrupy, rich full body.

D - As delicious as this is, I find my intake limited by the sweetness and heaviness.

This is my very favorite brown ale of all time! It's like eating chocolate cake. I love to crack a bottle or 2 when I have guests over because it's always a crowd pleaser. Hops and heat from alcohol are almost undetectable even though this treat is 6.2%.

When you can get it on a good tap, do not pass it up.

Scrumptious!

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the most deliciously drinkable beers around. The sweetness isn't overpowering; overall, a wonderful respite from the usual west coast IPAs.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

This is truly one of my all time faves.. I wish I could give it a perfect score. The aroma is insanely good w/ it tasting as good as it smells. Tons of hazelnut and vanilla. I love smelling this beer, it's heaven. It does pour thin but the head is pretty. This isn't your traditional Brown Ale but it has the Rogue taste to it that I love! They definitely made this theirs. One of the most unique beers I've had. Recommended to anyone that likes good beer. It's really too bad they don't sell 6 packs of this gem.

Unique stuff, one of my all-time faves..

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a nice chestnut brown with an almond colored head. Aroma is dominated by the hazelnut but also has a nice amount of maltiness and other nuts. This is one of the smoothest drinking beers that i've ever had. The sweetness of the hazelnut made me want to guzzle this beer down but I took my time as best as I could. There is a nice amount of maltiness and a slight hoppiness added to th wonderfull sweet hazelnut flavor. A slight watering down makes this beer not quite perfect. Otherwise, absoluelty delicious.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer is one of the best brown ales...ever! This may even be as good as the infamous Samuel Smiths nut brown ale! This beer poured a light brown colour, with a nice, white head. The aromas were of hazelnut, and various malts. The taste was very sweet, alcoholic, and nutty. Excellent! This is almost like you put a shot or two of Ameretto in your favorite beer. The mouthfeel was a bit thick and the drinkability was not perfect, but this is one damn good nut brown ale!

Cheers!
-F

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Deep brown with a light reddish tint, light beige lace
Caramel malty and a hint of the nuttiness in the nose
Super chewy with a stickiness that lingers
Very malty with a nutty toffee flavor that jumps to your tongue. A light bit of spicy hop to keep it from being too sweet. Long, sweet toffee caramel nut finish.
Great beer, not hoppy like most Rogues, but almost perfect. always a favorite.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Pours a semi-opaque dark chestnut brown with a massive foamy, frothy head that falls to a thin blanket relatively quickly. Leaves patches of lacing on the glass.

S: Awesome aroma of fresh chopped hazelnuts and mild coffee with some faint hops in the background. Overall, a creamy hazelnut aroma. This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had the pleasure sinking my nose into. I could just sit and smell this brew forever.

T: Taste is very much like the nose, but not as pronounced. Smooth, creamy and full hazelnut. Sweet up front, with just a slight zing of bittersweet hazelnut sugars on the semi-dry finish that explodes with even more hazelnut.

M: Smooth as a babies bottom. Medium bodied, but slightly creamy with mild carbonation. Tingling carbonation on the tip of the tongue with each swallow.

D: Sorry to harp on the word 'smooth, 'but this is one easy drinking, tasty brew. I could easily take down a bomber or two of these puppies. Among the best brews from Rogue, hands down. Right up their with the three stouts and double IPA (which freaking rocks on tap, btw).

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

22 oz bomber refrigerator temperature. Standard pint glass.

A - beautiful brown color, very dark, nearly opaque. poured a light head that lingered for a bit, but did fade. no lacing.

s - rich nutty smell, almost chocolately. full bodied but not overpowering.

t - by far the best part. the rogue tasted like creamy hazelnut the whole way down, finishing clean. after taste was muted but still notably nutty.

m - incredibly smooth, no acidity with almost a creamy nature. this brown ale left no bite, making it easy to gulp down at a dangerous rate.

d - i could drink ten of these a night if my body would allow it. this is becoming a hands down favorite. dangerously smooth and rich.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

(from notes)

Pours a dark caramel brown with nearly no head into my pint glass. It has a little ruby lining on the edges when held up to the light, and the little head that there was recedes quite quickly.

The smell is malty, a little bit of nuttiness which I can pin to be hazelnut, though quite subtle.

Tastes malty on the tongue with a bit of nuttiness towards the end. Kind of what you might describe as biscuity. There isn't really any carbonation to be had. I also taste a little cold black coffee and a hint of chocolate.

The mouthfeel is oily, but not too much so.

The drinkability of this is superb, and the flavor is very rounded. There is little aftertaste left in the mouth, yet an urge to drink more.

4.79/5  rDev +17.7%

Probably my second favorite brown ale. The hazelnut favor is very prominent both in the smell and on the pallet. It might be a little on the sweet side for some people, but it's a great brown. A nice honey flavor can also be detected. As always let it warm up a little from ice cold and it'll really blossom in flavor and smell. Love the mouthfeel also, a nice level of carbonation and a flavor that doesn't stay forever in your mouth.

4.79/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from 20 oz bottle a deep clear amber with one finger head, which disapeared fairly quick.
The scent is amazing, chocolate, malt and nutty with a slight hint of coffee. Makes my mouth water in anticipation, very nice.
The taste is also outstanding, with the chocolate, nutty taste upfront. After the last sip, I can now taste the hazelnut that it has warmed a bit. WOW, this is even better now that it has warmed. It is sweet but well balanced. The hazelnut stays with you for a bit, but it does finish with some light hop flavor.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbination, also very nice.
The drinkability is very high. I could drink a lot of these in one sitting. Very palatable and easy to drink.
I am very glad I picked this beer to try. This is the best beer I have tried so far in my short time with the BA site. I will be sharing this experience with all the beer drinkers I know.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales