Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -12%

Never one to believe the hype, I was more than ready to review this particular selection when I viewed with horror that there was only one sole HBN left. I sprung into action, and without a second thought I reached for the spot where the half-a-weisen was. Nowhere to be found. But in a simple twist of fate, the manager let me know that the Gumballhead was about to take its place. So one of those into the barrel as well.

One of the things that struck me about this beer and continues to do is its splendid appearance. It looked like something out of a beer-geek's cinematic dream. An ambient deep sepia with a black-and-tan effect in the glass. The yellow head was like whipped cream on a bed of cappucino. Upon pour and vigourous subsequent pour, I noticed the beer battling to stick to the glass as marbles down a slick slide. Nothing to cling to.

The nose is New England fudge and innocent waffs of alcohol amongst a sea of fluffy, emotive hop character.

Enough cannot be said for the delicate interplay between the so-close-to-adjuncty hazelnut flavoring, huge royal malt, and brilliantly intoxicating perle and saaz blend. I kept not being able to decide whether I hated the hazelnut essence or not; without it you've got a weirdly hopped unstriking brown ale. With it, the beer is sweet and walnutty. The yeast adds wisps of diacetyl but I never felt like I was drinking a liquid Werther's. The aftertaste is a bit on the diet-cola side. Any hop bitterness that surfaces is quickly subdued by the slightly swampy mouthfeel.

Wow. So much going on here ... i'll be back

3.58/5  rDev -12%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer, Raleigh, NC.

Our table was fairly evenly divided over this one -- either loved it or hated it. I gave it a robust "Good Lord!" upon first sip. It definitely drinks stronger than the 6.22% ABV that it is. Flirts with the possibility of being too sweet, but the folks at Rogue yet again pull off something that otherwise shouldn't really work.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Pours clear reddish brown with thick head that dissipates quickly to 1/8" thick and eventually to a thin film. The smell is strong malt with a definite nutty overtone that comes across as an extract - so much so that I looked on the bottle ingredients and noted that they use almond extract. I feel that this is a little overwhelming both in smell and especially in flavor. The initial flavor is strong malt with notable hazelnut oil flavor. The malt is complex enough, but the nut flavor is a little over the top, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is medium to full-bodied with active carbonation. This is an interesting beer, but I prefer browns that are a little mellower and smoother. Rogue's is worth trying, but if I wanted a beer with this much flavor I would crack a different style altogether.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

It's been nearly a week since I enjoyed this Rogue offering. I'll write as descriptively as possible, but don't expect many details.

I purchased the beer several weeks ago, but never got around to drinking it. It sat in my fridge since, until last Sunday afternoon, and I had a hankering for a brew. I drank this beer much too cold to get the best experience out of it.

Nothing over-powering in the aroma. Hints of sweet malt and hazelnut were the predominant qualities. Tastes, aside from being too cold, malty, with a slight hop bite in the back of the mouth. The hazelnut flavor was not as strong as expected, and not nearly as powerful as the chocolate taste in the chocolate stout.

Good beer, or maybe it just hit the spot. Either way, it's a good beer that I will buy again.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Pours a nice nutty brown into my pint glass. Aroma is sweet, sugar-glazed hazelnuts, with an over tone of the Saaz hops used.

Taste is that of a traditional brown ale (and an excellent one), with hazelnuts and a smooth chocolate. The chocolate seems sweetened (an odd example, but the closest thing I can think of is hot-chocolate mix).

The nuts come on more as an aftertaste after the crisp brown ale has worked it's wonders. For a flavored ale, and a dessert ale, this is wonderfully balanced. A little sweet, but that's the point.

The 650 ML bottle, with the sweetness can be a bit much by the end of the bottle. This would be excellent split between two romantically inclined people, perhaps served with cheesecake.

An excellent job here, as far as flavored ales go, and I look forward to trying Rogue/Morimoto's Soba Ale.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

A: Pours a clear reddish brown color with a thin offwhite head. Okay retention and spotty lace.

S: Aroma is hazelnuts and roasted malts, gooey toffee and chocolate malt.

T: Taste of dark chocolate, almond, and obviously hazelnut. This beer definitely reminds me of an iced hazelnut coffee, maybe even a little mocha. A bit of fakness to the taste though.

M: Medium in body with great carbonation on draft.

D: Not bad. If not for the slightly off puting fake flavor it would call it good.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Pours a deep brown with a hint of amber. Thick tan head and lots of lacing.

This beer smells like the name, Hazelnut. Some malt there, but pungently hazelnut.

The taste is like the smell with nothing standing up with the hazelnut flavor. Syrupy sweetness with some tannins in the finish reminding me of nut shells. The label says 33 IBUs, but I can't find it.

Thick and chewy beer, some decent carbonation.

Not too excited, but a good beer. Not my style, so this will probubly be my only one.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

A. Dark amber appearance with a light tan two finger head that breaks quickly to leave a thin covering.

S. Smells of hazelnut and caramel malts. This doesn't really float my boat since the hazelnut reminds me a little bit of how vomit can smell.

T. Good thing it doesn't taste like vomit - I get mainly caramel malt and graham cracker. Leaves a prickly, lingering finish with the hazelnut really coming into focus.

M. Light to medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

O. A decent beer that was pretty easy to drink but nothing I need to revisit.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

I love hazelnut, so when I found this beer it immediately found it’s way into my cart. The bottle itself is a wonderful work of art. I popped the top and took a long inhale noting the nutty scent. My nose isn’t fully developed just yet so if I can pick something up then you know it is in there.

The pour was into an imperial pint glass. The splash down play between beer and head was mesmerizing. The beautiful red-brown color eventually won the game but the head was a thick creamy head. It lasted for ½ the beer and the nose from the head rounded out an overall taste of the beer. Periodically after that I added what was left in the bottle to give it a little more head.

A great sipping beer!

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

650ml bottle @ $4.99. Been in the fridge for nearly 2 months, finally decided to break it out.

Nice frothy head with good retention, hazy, red(ish) brown.... good looking.

The smell of my mom's (God rest her soul) spice cabinet, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, ginger, all that blended together.

Wow...taste is almost like a straight shot of vanilla or almond extract..not too sure about this one. On the one hand I like it but on the other hand it's like something artificial going on and too much of it. Aftertaste, although not unpleasant, is not exactly pleasant.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability.

An intresting brew albeit one that sends me mixed messages, something seems unbalanced....However, the more I drink the better it gets...@ 6.2%ABV and 650ml, that would be expected.. 2 or 3 of these suckers and it could be the finest brew in the world. At least it isn't sicky sweet.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Purchased at Cooper St. LCBO. Love the nice 650ml bottle.

A: a stiff pour into a pint glass yields a two finger head which disappears quickly. Looks average for a brown ale.

S: smell is much better when the head is still alive. If it is; expect a nice roasted hazelnut scent. very little hop presence. Certainly nothing to complain about here.

T: not as nutty as I was hoping. I was expecting this to be a more "amped up" version of a classic brown ale like Newcastle or Samuel Smiths. I cant help but notice its a little artificial tasting and metallic on the finish.

M: feels thin and sharp sticky as well.

D: Not one I'd reach for several times in a night.

-- I don't know if they re-formulated this beer for us Ontario LCBO customers - but this seems a little overrated. Samuel Smiths is much better and cheaper in my opinion.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

983rd Review on BA
Draft to Pint
16 oz

@Yardhouse, Chino Hills, CA

App- A rich semi clear mahogany wood stain brown with a well poured two finger head that fell to a wonderful wall of cling and sticky lacing.

Smell- It has huge hazelnuts aromas on this one. Pretty much one-dimensional with a pretty watery malty note. A touch of vanilla

Taste- Just over the top hazelnut but wasn't balanced by a certain thickness. Had a watery malty flavor but additionally the soft vanilla carried out. It's flavorful but just too watery for me and thin.

Mouth- Light/medium body and light/medium carbonation level with some residual malts and some nutty hazelnut

Drink- Not my favorite offering from rogue but they do advertise the hazelnut and I appreciate that they actually delivered on that promise. Probably wont come back to this one, but oh well.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured out a 22 oz. bomber.
A: Dark brown with a hint of reddish hues, rootbeerish in color. Tan head that dissipates very quickly-I'm dissappointed with the head retention even after a vigorous pour.
S: Hazelnut, roasted/burnt nut, chocolate and fig smell all on a canvas driven by malt. Also a hint of bread in the b-ground.
T: Paralleling the smell the taste is encircled around a backdrop of malt. Definate hazelnut, bitter chocolate and fig tastes up front with malt throughout and especially in finish-sweet and malty. Also flavors of bread poking around. Sweet malt throughout.
MF: A smooth, medium mouthfeel that sits and rolls off the tongue nicely.
Overall: A solid Rogue offering and a great after dinner beer. May be too malty "sweet" for consumption anytime but after dinner. Makes for a nice desert beer though and I enjoyed the infused hazelnut-in taste and aroma.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Strong nutty aroma, not as strong nut flavor. Taste did not jump out at me, and didn't linger either. A little higher carbonation than I prefer. Overall pretty decent though, and I would drink it again if offered. Probably won't be on my shopping list though.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

In a pint glass, the thin layer of foam quickly dissipates above a red-brown translucent body.

As you would expect from the name, the aroma is very hazelnutty- reminding me of drinking a flavored coffee.

To my flavor-sensing mechanisms, it seemed to have a low malt presence with at least half of its taste coming from a grapefruit-like citrus finish. Not at all what I was expecting with the hazelnut preview.

Light-bodied, it's carbonation was like a flat soda.

Although it is a dark-colored beer, I imagine it as a good summer thirst-quencher with its strong citrus taste.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the shop poured at home. Pours medium brown color, slightly clear, with a small white head. Smell is nutty hazelnuts, hint of chocolate. Dryer than expected, but very good hazelnut notes pairing well with the very light chocolate. Not particularly bold in the flavor, but not completely watered down. Finish lingers in a way that I don't like. A bit of a stale aftertaste. Overall a decent brown.

Dark Brown.

Fruit, coffee beans, hazelnut, chocolate and cream in the aroma. Fantastic flavor.

The malts combined with the hazelnut provide a deep, rich flavor with notes of hazelnut, coffee, cream, nuts, chocolate, fruit and caramel. The hops are spicy but overtaken by other flavors. A unique brown ale. Very tasty.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A vigorous pour yielded only a thin yet creamy and condensed tan head atop a cloudy deep amber brown body. The head thinned out even more to but a slight film. Aroma is malty, nutty and with noticable hops present and hints of coffee and chocolate. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a creaminess to it. Flavor is reminding me of Sam Smiths nutbrown yet definately more bitter. Finishes a tad dry. Overall would be better if less bitter in my opinion.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a porter-like dark-brown from the bottle. A few fingers of nice tan foam and relatively good head retention as well. Smells quite sweet and malty, with nice smoky and nutty undertones. The flavor doesn't really live up to the aroma unfortunately. Starts off well enough; malty, nutty, smoky, and strangely refreshing. As the beer warms, however, it develops a sticky sweetness that begins to overpower the palate. The hops are essentially missing-in-action, so there's not much here to balance the sugars. Sticky and medium bodied in the mouth.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a 22 oz. bomb, I got a very dark, amber color with a tan head that recedes rather quickly but laces well. I'm picking up malts and some nutty earthy tones in the smell. It tastes of nuts, caramel, toasty malts and there is a small bitter hop flavor at the end. Mouthfeel is decent, it is quite thick, about what I expected for the brown ale. Rogue has some better ones out there, but this isn't one to write off either.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured brown with a small brown head which dissipated rather quickly leaving a lingering collar.

Aroma of nuts, sweetness and malts.

Taste is quite sweet. Hazelnuts become quite prevalent. Malts and chocolate also present.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and smooth.

I found this to be OK, but too sweet. After one glass, I had enough. The sweetness was too much and the hazelnut became cloying. Not bad, but one was plenty.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clean deep amber to brown in color with a small light tan head. In the aroma, sweet to dry nuttiness and a sweet malt. In the taste, sticky-sweet nuttiness and a sweet malt. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, sweet nuttiness in the aftertaste. Sticky sweet that can be a bit much when it gets warmer, but mostly enjoyable.

22oz bomber

Apperance: Bubbly Coca-Cola head. No head retention to speak of. A dark brown color, but amber in the light. The brew, held up to the light was a beautiful amber color. The head on this beer is weak. Pour a Coke and one of these side by side. Retention and head shape, and the shape of the bubbles would be similar.

Nose: Chocolate, Hazelnuts, not much else.

Taste: Smooth unsweetened chocolate at first. Hazelnut at the middle which disolves to raisins and nuts.

Notes: This one was "crafted?" by Morimoto. I have no clue who that is, or why he would be good at deciding what a beer should taste like. He is some chef or something. This was slightly complex. Like all Rouges, it was fun to drink.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I choose to approach this as a Brown Ale. The color is dark for the style. The head is beautifully irregular and retains adequately.
While there is nothing objectionable in the aromas or flavors, it does seem that that the ingredients of the beer stand out obtrusively. I take it as a cardinal rule of cooking, as well as brewing (or any art for that matter,) that if you can sense the conscious work of the producer, then they added too much. Call it "contrived." Bam! chocolate malt. Bam!, hazelnut extract. There is very little integration to this beer. No zen. No bliss. Nevertheless, for anyone craving overt stimulation, this is a sound beer, and entertaining. In a loud bar it might be completely appropriate. While it does nothing to hurt Rogue's deserved high reputation, it doesn't help either.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

they say this beer is made with malt, hops, barley, water, and flavour?

Anybody know what 'flavour' means? I am guessing some sort of syrup or something they've added but I have no idea.

other that that it is a very drinkable beer. I've never had a beer like this before, and would probably have it no more than a couple times per year.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales