Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,773 | Reviews: 1,403
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rogue hazelnut brown nectar is one of my favorite beers to date. I have tried this one twice, both times in bombers. Would love to see it on tap somewhere but haven't yet. I live in St. Louis, MO and have tried this beer both times as a store bought purchase.

I am a fan of dark beer, primarily stouts, but I love a good brown and this one is tasty and complex. The interesting thing is that the hazelnut flavor creeps up on you almost as an aftertaste, and lingers, becoming sweeter on the palate.

I taste a good deal of honey by the end. I assume this is where the word "nectar" makes its debut, as the beer finishes with a honeyed sweetness. It's not like mead, which is sharp and almost too sweet at times. The hazelnut tempers the nectar flavor, making it warm and cozy. It's a perfect beer for autumn or winter, at a nice old tavern with wood floors and a fire. If it were a color, it would be the color of teak beams lit up a sweet tan in the glinting rays of the setting sun.

It's a lovely experience, and one of which I think I would never tire.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I have reviewed this beer as received on-tap... so here goes my bottle review.

My lovely wife purchased me a 22 oz bottle for a Birthday Gift. Yes, I know... she's a keeper!

I poured about 16 oz into a pint glass and produced a nice frothy 1.5" head... only a half inch too much... but I was excited! The head settled down to about 1" within 30 seconds as I svored the nutty aroma of this fine brew!

I was very anxious to taste it because it had been a while since my last one. ABSOLUTELY HEAVENLY! I love this beer. The nutty extracts are clearly present but not overpowering. JUST RIGHT. A perfect amount of sweetness with very little hoppiness.

The mouthfeel on this one is spectacular. Not too carbonated... not too flat.... again just right. It left a nice lingering nutty aftertaste.

Drinkability? Right on.... a very drinkable beer. I finished off the rest of the 22 oz immediately. Left me wanting another.

Glass used: Guinness pint glass

Dark brown color with a light fluffy head.

Nose is mostly dominated by hazelnut.

This beer has an amazing hazelnut flavor with caramel notes through out and a really satisfying chocolate finish. My favorite brown ale.

Nice medium mouth feel with a smooth soft carbonation.

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a lovely reddish brown colour with a filmy but sticky head of off-white. Excellent lacing. Clarity is great - a great looking beer all up.

Wow, a phenomenal sweet and rich nose of butterscotch, toffee and roasted sugar coated almonds. Deeper notes of milk chocolate and rye bread. Really good. Not the nasty diacetyl butterscotch you get in pale ales sometimes. This is all intentional and all phenomenal. What a nose!

Buttery sweet and smooth, just phenomenally delicious and tasty. Creamy mouthfeel, light, but with a wonderful slickness. Starts with a light roasted grain note, which just starts layering with sweetness after sweetenss until you have a wonderful sweet anarchy of Wonkaesque proportions. Rambunctious and happy - delicious.

A truly excellent, delicious and uniquely fun beer. Drinkable as long as you can cope with the insane sweetness.

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days.

4.68/5  rDev +15%

purse a beautiful dark brown color with an equally good looking head. really looks good. smell is very unique, strong hazelnut dominates everything else, but has a small cocoa aroma to it. taste is really really good, i mean good. has an earthy taste to it, just rally damn good. easy to drink, im going to be buying more of these

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 650ml bottle with no dating info into a pint glass. It was a deep reddish brown color. It had a small head that quickly dissipated. I've had this several times before and usually has a more robust head so this one may be off slightly. The aroma was awesome - malty with a great hazelnut front. Gets your mouth watering right away. The taste is perfect. The hazelnut adds the right amount of flavor and sweetness without being cloying. I imagine without the hazelnut this would still be an awesome beer. The mouthfeel was nice and solid. Overall this is one of my favorite beers and I end up being it quite often. Highly recommend. (Heavy rotation)

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Rogue Brewing "Hazelnut Brown Nectar" @ 6.2% (Originally tasted from a cask at GCBF/11)now from a 650 ml bottle served cold into a stein
A-poured a hazy mahogany with red hues , frothy khaki head , lots of creamy lacing
S-toasted malts , sweet aroma of hazelnuts and some fruit
T-roasted malt upfront with a whole lotta hazelnutty sweetness , quickly followed by a spicy hop moving the balance of the beer nicely onward
MF-smooth and creamy , medium to thick bodied , moderate carbonation
Ov-Oh yeah , damn fine beer , very tasty , hard to find , highly recomended for a brown ale !!

Cheers LampertLand

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

I was very pleasantly surprised when I first had this brew from a bottle, so I jumped at the chance to try it on tap. Served in a tumbler pint, the beer pours an amber-caramel coloring with a low profile, filmy, small bubbled head that clings to the edge of the surface. The nose is just as amazing as I remember it being in the bottle, with a creamy, buttery blend of rich hazelnut, caramel, and an overall roasted quality. Flavors are a light, smooth blend of Nutella and a biscuity backbone. It almost tastes like caramel popcorn soaked in a hazelnut blended coffee. Super smooth flavors that remain light, and the crisp body make this a ridiculously easy drinker. The aftertaste is nutty and sweet, with a sugary kiss at the very end. The finish is subtly sweet, with a sugary and rich hazelnut linger that entices the palate to continue drinking. This is a tremendous beer, and one of the better Browns I've ever had.

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%

"Move over Frangelico! Now there's something meatier!"

After the middle-dark ages of the fruity-fruit beers, you would think a concoction like this was just another '80s anachronism sitting on the shelf. But ohhhh no! This beer, to me, defines what the next great era of beer will be--pure, self-determined, democratic, entrepreneurial, take-no-prisoners, kick-in-the-balls, "take-that-you-macro-swilling-skug" beer.

It's hard to even begin describing what a beer like this has forgotten. Thick and seductive like a rare doppelbock, but creamy, sweet, puffy, and wet, like a ......... nevermind, you get the picture!

How many decimal places to the right did Yon Brewmeister nail the precise hazelnut component? How many a pedestrian brewer would have f**ked-up such an ingredient? But Rogue man wields like an alchemist extraordinnaire!!!!!!!

I really don't know what I'm tasting, except pure heaven!

"Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very good Brown Ale. Not the best I've had. Mad Monk (defunct) out of Ohio was the best Nut Brown I've ever had. But very good...great head, good aroma, very good flavor. Definitely top 3 brown ales I've had.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Brown with just a hint of red. Monsterous 3 finger tan head which left plenty of foamy lacing.

S - Like a creme brule or a hazelnut toffee. Deep but not powerful.

T - Covered in hazelnut and coffee. A hint of chocolate but not overbearing. Almost buttery in its sweetness but not sweet.

M - Very very balanced. Just a hint of carbonation and not too heavy while still being bold.

D - Its medium sweet and not over carbonated. I would call this a great evening beer but not quite a session beer unless you are really into browns. A little sweet for that perhaps.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This is an excellent beer. Rich coffeeish flavors with the nice hazelnut hints make it one of the best dessert beers I've ever had. This beer also has less hop presence than the typical Rogue brew, but I don't think a lot of hops would match the rest of the flavor in this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If you like hazelnut coffe, or happen to like hazelnuts in general, this is your beer. It has a very clean looking appearance, medium brown color with a sweet and flavorful head. It is very nutty, the hazelnut flavor doesn't start or finish the beer, it is the beer. A very sweet beer, if that 's not your thing look elsewhere. Not bitter at any point, smooth, nutty & sweet throughout. This is an amazing beer, could have one with your oatmeal or your pork chops. Delicious.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I usually review on the spot and I did but my review was deleted. I'm going to go by memory this time around.

Look: Ruby Raspberry and a khaki head.

Smell: Hazelnut upfront and some oats.

Taste: Totally blew me away! Sweet hazelnut, honey, toffee and I'm thinking some oatmeal. They mentioned chocolate in the ingredients but more of a milk chocolate stout flavor. I did not expect this delicious taste from what I smelled. Hands down one of the best by Rogue and best tasting beer I've had in a while.

Mouth Feel: Medium in body. Not a whole lot of carbonation. Felt great in the mouth and going down. Left the mouth feeling a little dry at the end.

Drink Ability: I could drink this all night. Not filling. Delicious tasting. No booze taste at all. I wish I bought another one so I could drink some more now.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I forgot how good this brew was on draft until today..
Poured a dark, rich brown with a very thin off white head. Nose is malty, nutty nose with hints of chocolate. Hazelnut upfront and then some maple notes. Mouthfeel was very thick. Excellent brew and so smooth. I love it.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I'm not a big fan of American brown ales, they're usually kind of dull.

And then there's Rogue.

Pours very dark, intense ruby brown, nearly opaque. Very nice, tight two-finger head.

Smells like brown sugar and hops. A roasted hazlenut sweetness mingles with chocolate malt. Very nice.

Complex and delicious! Robust coffee beans upfront make way for a split second of Rogue hops, falling into an incredible bittersweet hazlenut aftertaste. This is better than coffee mate. Lingering aftertaste of sweetness and coffee. Wonderful.

It's got one of the nicest bodies I've ever felt on a beer, too. Creamy and smooth, much like a coffee with a helluva lot of creamer in it. Only tastier.

Such complexity. Such balance. This beer is truly one of the kings of its style.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Dark in the room so I'm skipping right to the aroma and taste of this beer. The tastes and aromas are in tandem so I'm reviewing by simply by saying that the malts and hazelnut flavor of this beer are perfect. Not too over the top. Just perfect enough to satisfy and keep you yearning for more. The hazelnut flavor is beautiful. Simply beautiful. Makes me want to buy a bagel and load it with hazelnut cream cheese for a perfect pairing. Exceptionally tasty and easy to drink, sooo smooth, just a really amazing and delicious brown. Awesome.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

This brew pours a dark brown, almost black, with a small with head that recedes within seconds. The aroma huge. Chocolate, nuts, more chocolate. The taste is chocolaty too, with roasted flavors as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this beer seems like a cross between a brown ale and a porter. Whatever it may be, it is damn good.

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, let me repeat that, wow. I have just found the same experience that I had when I first bit into a piece of toast with Nutella on it. For a fan of the hazelnut, this is the equivalent of a finding dark brown gold in a little 12 oz bottle. If you like a beer with a distinguished nut taste, look no further. You will not find a better beer. Did I mention this beer is good.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

A - deep crimson brown in color with a pretty nice foamy tan head that retains fairly, but only leaves a small amount of lacing. Lucid.

S - Very bold aromas of hazelnut and brown sugar (big surprise there) in the nose. It really gets my mouth watering for that first sip. If only I could stop smelling it....As it warms, I think i'm getting a more roasted aroma. It's pretty damn good

T&M - Delicious. A very rich, nutty flavor. A hint of some earthy hops blending with a roasty character in the finish. Light bodied. Good carbonation helps the flavors develop and aids the drinkability. The flavors develop and endure very well when held to the tongue. I'd like the flavor to be a bit fuller, but it's really damn good.

D - Man, I could easily knock these down one after the other. It drinks so easy: great flavor, light body, abv isn't too high...A very tasty, very sessionable brown ale, to say the least.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

Very deep brown in color with dark red hues. Phenomenal rocky brown head. Excellent retention. Sticks around for a long time. Good amount of lacing as well. Not too much but a noticeable amount. Very aromatic nose. Extremely nutty and toasty. Sweet caramel and natural grains notes make an appearance. Brown sugar also comes to mind. Taste is caramel coffee like with some nutty undertones. There is a slight bitterness in the middle but sweetens up a bit with and almond like alcohol taste in the finish. Very good. Mouth feel medium bodied with a smooth velvet finish. Hell. This is one awesome brown ale. Drinkability is 10 out of 10. Very aromatic and tasty.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

Nose - The Hazelnut really comes through with this one. Strong nutty, caramel, with a touch of yeast.

Taste - Starts off much like any brown ale, toffee and caramel with a little more richness and intensity of flavor. A bit strong on the alcohol mid way, but you get the full effect of the Hazelnut upon swallowing and forget all about the heat. Nice strong nutty finish that doesn't taste synthetic.

Overall an outstanding example of the style.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

Aroma: Like toasted nuts dipped in chocolate; "fancy" almond M&Ms. Very faint woodiness, this beer literally smells sweet.

Appearance: Medium opacity (could live to be the tiniest bit darker), good overall lace retention, sea-foam-washed-over-sand colored head.

Taste: caramel, caramelized onions, hazelnut syrup, hint of nutella

Mouthfeel: Great body, accompanies the beer very well. Best "swish" beer in a while. Medium carbonation, some residual sugar, lots of flavor accompanied by an appropriate body.

Overall: This is a wonderful beer. I prefer my brown ales to taste more like a chocolate milkshake as opposed to nutty; That being said, this is really quite pleasant. I'm not certain I can say I've had anything quite like it.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

Poured into my Sam Adams Turbinator glass.

A - Pours a nice deep brown with some slight reddish highlights. Nice head that sticks around for a bit with excellent retention.

S - Rich roasted malts and lots of nutty hazelnut. Smell is really enticing and impressive.

T - Smooth sweet malt hits first, followed by the nutty notes with a bit of hop bitterness. A bit earthy and oak-ey. Really well balanced.

M - Smooth and creamy. Carbonation is perfect.

D - Excellent. It's a delicious beer at a sessionable abv with an overall smooth taste and character.

Notes: I love a good brown ale and this one just shot toward the top of my list.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales