Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros

TeamAlphaDoG, Jul 04, 2012

eberheli, Oct 27, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

BGsWo22, Jan 30, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -66.1%

Pours a a cloudy looking red brown. A nice thick tan head with incredible lacing that coats the side of the glass.

I am slightly sick by the smell of dank old hazelnut. As if the nuts were in warm water sitting in the sun for a few weeks collection molds and such. Awfull smell to me.

Tastes the same as the smell....

Rarely do I just not like a beer. This is one of those rare moments.

Some reviews are saying that they use hazelnut extracts. I must not like them. Do I rate all ones if i personally do not like the beer???

The apperance was great. I just could not get past the smell and taste of the hazelnut. Was this bottle bad??

I would rather have had a macro beer tonight.

My first drainpoor on BA.

Trueant1, Nov 02, 2007
1.73/5  rDev -57.5%

A strange one. Tastes like a Vanilla Coke/Newcastle Brown shandy with some hazelnut syrup and a touch more malt. Very odd, and unevenly balanced. The flavours don't blend well at all, really bad, especially when i had such high hopes. Another good reason for me not to like brown ales. Odd.

rastaman, Jul 03, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -55%

Wow.
I bought this beer reading the reviews thinking it would be absolutely fantastic. I like other brown ales. Wayyyy weird aftertaste. Tasted like fake syrup had been poured into a decent beer. I opened my 22oz bomber and poured my first glass full of expectations. By the time I had finished half of my first glass, I felt sick to my stomach.

I threw the rest of this bomber down the drain. This is the first time I have ever done this before.

I feel dirty.

swhitt, Jul 24, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -54.5%

Apparently this was my weekend for artificially sweetened brown ales. First the Longboat Double Chocolate Porter, and now this. My wife works in the county clerk's office, and has a process server come in on a regular basis raving about this beer. I am not one who enjoys extract flavored beers, but we picked this up anyway just so she could tell him she tried it, and get him off her back.

Appeareance: My wife poured it, and didn't do a great job on my glass. She got the perfect head in hers, and mine looked like an espresso snowstorm. Nice umber colored pour. No, I don't really know what umber looks like. It just sounded complimentary for a beer I basically hated.

Smell: Hazelnut latte. For the record, I drink my coffee black.

Taste: Not as bad as the Longboat. This one almost has a hint of beer flavor to it, but it really is overpowered by the sweetness of the hazelnut. Gives it almost a sweetened iced coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Seems a bit thin to me. However, I don't drink many browns (read: any browns at all), so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll go with my ever-expanding gut.

Drinkability: I couldn't finish the glass. Didn't want to finish the glass, and my wife didn't finish hers. I'd say that out of the 22 ounces in that bomber, we drank maybe 8 combined, and it was 8 too many. I seriously don't know how people can drink this. It's painful.

Knuckles, Aug 29, 2005

ejw127, Dec 03, 2011

mlhenson, Apr 14, 2012

lmmccurd, Oct 22, 2012

Barbie, Aug 04, 2012
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours a ever-so-slightly hazy coppery brown.The haziness is like the first bits of fog building up, enough to notice but not so much that it keeps the light from getting through. Beautiful, creamy tan head has great retention eventually dropping to a thick creamy film. Good lace.

Smell is ...weird and not in a good way. A combination of dry cardboard and nearly rancid nutmeats with some dirt mixed in. Not good. It's a pretty strong presence as well. I have 2 more bottles so here's hoping it just this one.

Taste is burnt malt, that funky nutmeat stank note and nothing else. Score is a little higher here than the smell received because it isn't so harsh and there is better balance (though not too much to actually balance with just two notes).

Medium bodied at best with a light, almost too light, effervescence. Smooth but nothing really appealing here. I won't drain pour it (it ain't warm Falstaff or Corona) but the thought is running around in my head like a 6 year old on Halloween.

I am really disappointed with this one. I love me some hazelnuts (aka filberts) and browns are a favorite style but I know Rogue is a crap shoot when I bought it. Been drinking their stuff for 10 years or more. I had Voodoo Maple Bacon again last week (SO GOOD!) and I've got a bomber of Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana chilling for a couple of weeks from now. The Shakespeare, FestiveAle, Chocolate & Double Choc. stouts, Dead Guy and Glen were great, too. The American Amber, XS Imp. Porter were very far from. The rest are middling offerings. But with such high ratings from over 2000 people I expected better from this one. I've two more bottles sitting in the fridge. If they prove better I'll gladly amend this review (like always) but if your still looking at this in Sept. 2013 or beyond, they were just as bad.

PorterLambic, Jul 12, 2013