Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
1.73/5  rDev -57.5%

A strange one. Tastes like a Vanilla Coke/Newcastle Brown shandy with some hazelnut syrup and a touch more malt. Very odd, and unevenly balanced. The flavours don't blend well at all, really bad, especially when i had such high hopes. Another good reason for me not to like brown ales. Odd.

rastaman, Jul 03, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -55%

Wow.
I bought this beer reading the reviews thinking it would be absolutely fantastic. I like other brown ales. Wayyyy weird aftertaste. Tasted like fake syrup had been poured into a decent beer. I opened my 22oz bomber and poured my first glass full of expectations. By the time I had finished half of my first glass, I felt sick to my stomach.

I threw the rest of this bomber down the drain. This is the first time I have ever done this before.

I feel dirty.

swhitt, Jul 24, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -54.5%

Apparently this was my weekend for artificially sweetened brown ales. First the Longboat Double Chocolate Porter, and now this. My wife works in the county clerk's office, and has a process server come in on a regular basis raving about this beer. I am not one who enjoys extract flavored beers, but we picked this up anyway just so she could tell him she tried it, and get him off her back.

Appeareance: My wife poured it, and didn't do a great job on my glass. She got the perfect head in hers, and mine looked like an espresso snowstorm. Nice umber colored pour. No, I don't really know what umber looks like. It just sounded complimentary for a beer I basically hated.

Smell: Hazelnut latte. For the record, I drink my coffee black.

Taste: Not as bad as the Longboat. This one almost has a hint of beer flavor to it, but it really is overpowered by the sweetness of the hazelnut. Gives it almost a sweetened iced coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Seems a bit thin to me. However, I don't drink many browns (read: any browns at all), so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll go with my ever-expanding gut.

Drinkability: I couldn't finish the glass. Didn't want to finish the glass, and my wife didn't finish hers. I'd say that out of the 22 ounces in that bomber, we drank maybe 8 combined, and it was 8 too many. I seriously don't know how people can drink this. It's painful.

Knuckles, Aug 29, 2005

ejw127, Dec 03, 2011

mlhenson, Apr 14, 2012

lmmccurd, Oct 22, 2012

Barbie, Aug 04, 2012
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours a ever-so-slightly hazy coppery brown.The haziness is like the first bits of fog building up, enough to notice but not so much that it keeps the light from getting through. Beautiful, creamy tan head has great retention eventually dropping to a thick creamy film. Good lace.

Smell is ...weird and not in a good way. A combination of dry cardboard and nearly rancid nutmeats with some dirt mixed in. Not good. It's a pretty strong presence as well. I have 2 more bottles so here's hoping it just this one.

Taste is burnt malt, that funky nutmeat stank note and nothing else. Score is a little higher here than the smell received because it isn't so harsh and there is better balance (though not too much to actually balance with just two notes).

Medium bodied at best with a light, almost too light, effervescence. Smooth but nothing really appealing here. I won't drain pour it (it ain't warm Falstaff or Corona) but the thought is running around in my head like a 6 year old on Halloween.

I am really disappointed with this one. I love me some hazelnuts (aka filberts) and browns are a favorite style but I know Rogue is a crap shoot when I bought it. Been drinking their stuff for 10 years or more. I had Voodoo Maple Bacon again last week (SO GOOD!) and I've got a bomber of Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana chilling for a couple of weeks from now. The Shakespeare, FestiveAle, Chocolate & Double Choc. stouts, Dead Guy and Glen were great, too. The American Amber, XS Imp. Porter were very far from. The rest are middling offerings. But with such high ratings from over 2000 people I expected better from this one. I've two more bottles sitting in the fridge. If they prove better I'll gladly amend this review (like always) but if your still looking at this in Sept. 2013 or beyond, they were just as bad.

PorterLambic, Jul 12, 2013

allbrigs, Mar 12, 2013

LSUPT, Nov 15, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This beer has a really big rateing ... That is not good, the reviews have to be coming from people that loved Boones Farms back in the seventies, or some of these cherry flavored Vodkas. There are great beers on here that have low rateings and novalty brews with high scores.

I enjoy bold experiments with craft brewing, ...but extracts make me want to gag. I do not believe the beer was brewed with any actual "Hazlenuts" at all!

So.... it was brewed in a way that put the hazlenut taste in the back of the throat, and it did have a bold malted honey taste, but I found myself just trying to get through it and find something else to wash that taste out of my mouth.

Rogue is one of my favorite breweries, this selection was not for me.

FlatRabbitRed, Feb 10, 2013
2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

i dont know what the fuss is about this beer this does a major nothing for me i like brown ale but even the crappy browm ales has more taste then this and it sticks in the back of your thoart so i dont see why this isa good beer what a disappiont here

wac9, Feb 22, 2013

neckbeered, Oct 23, 2013

chippo33, Mar 05, 2014

ChicagoNick, Dec 19, 2012

ToddBeans, May 18, 2014
2.26/5  rDev -44.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a clear amber brown with a fluffy cream head.

S: Digging the extremely(!) nutty nose but a little nervous how it will taste in the context of a beer. It's nutty, like REALLY nutty.

T: Really, really strong hazelnut "nectar" taste. Like drinking pressed hazelnut juice with a bit of malt backbone and a slightly bitter hop finish. Really not sitting well on the palate.

M: Mouthfeel is a somewhat thin, thinner than I;d expect for a beer like this.

O: Overall the beer smelled good before tasting but after tasting the cloying hazelnut flavor became overbearing about four sips in. By 1/3 of the way through I found the unrelenting concentrated nut flavor to be somewhat nauseating. Sink poured the rest. Was expecting a lot more given the hype. Really seemed to lack subtlety in favor of "HEY WE PUT NUTS IN THIS BEER!" Would consider giving it another go but not anytime soon and not over $7 a bomber...

Thurgoft, Mar 21, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -44%

Just altogether weird tasting. I don’t like hazelnut coffee or hazelnut beer. The sweet malt and sweet hazelnut are not in harmony with each other and the hops don’t really effectively counterbalance the overwhelming sweetness. This tan colored “beverage” with a fading beige/tan head has a hazelnut and sweet syrupy aroma. The thick oily body and sweet nutty taste, and hint of vanilla is just too much. The light lemony bitterness seems to be an afterthought. Do I detect a faint cappuccino flavor? An odd mealy mouthfeel begs for a chaser to wash away the sweet sludge. Have I mentioned sweet?

BeerResearcher, Jun 19, 2003
2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Pours brown/black with a nice firm medium thick tan head that quickly fades.

Sweet black chocolate, maraschino cherry, hazelnut nose. Quite pleasant and smells like fresh baked goods.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery and without character. A huge let down from the wonderful nose.

Flavors are simple, weak, watery and unappealing. Only hints of flavor, if any, beer has no character, no identity, no flavor and with not much of a finish other than simple yeast.

Yet another flop from what has to be the most overrated brewery in the country. I suspect that Rogue would be out of business if it didn't have such cool bottles! Just my opinion.

GRG1313, Nov 28, 2009