Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,378 | Hads: 3,840
4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

The Rogue Hazelnut brown had very dark body and little to no head. The aroma was very impressive with chocolate, brown sugar and nutty hints. The mouthfeel was clean and very smooth, and it had a wonderful sweetness, characterized by chocolate, toffee, caramel and nuttiness. It finished excellently with a sweet smoothness I rarely find in browns. I highly recommend this to people like myself who are constantly unimpressed with browns. (438 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle from new beer distributors...got in before 5.... barely.

A- Pours a clear coppery red with an impressive off white head that is gone quickly but leaves sticky lacing everywhere. Thin hazey cap left behind.

S- Sweet caramel malts with unmistakeable nuttiness. I get a thin layer of milk chocolate in there too.

T- A sweet caramel base that is outshined by roasted hazelnut with a lingering nutty finish. Once again I get a touch of milk chocolate with light roast coffee creaminess.

M- Light bodied with a fine creamy carbonation.

D- I've had their hazelnut nectar which I remember loving. I am not sure if this is the same, but I love this Morimoto. Going to try pairing it with food. (696 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another beauty in the Rogue line. This is a brown ale I could drink morning, afternoon, and night. Thick, creamy, deliciously malty. Subtle carbonation is just right. Hazelnut perfectly executed. Bottle says to enjoy with meat, but try this one for desert!

Fantastic. (270 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a light but solid head, a dark brown, caramel coloring. The head dissipates rather quickly, leaving a think layer. Has the smell of caramel, malts, and maybe something like a raisin aroma. Upon tasting it has an excellent, light, solid, but not overbearing nutty brown, malty, caramel flavor. Very satisfying. Enough subtlety to not scare one off, but enough flavor to know its good. Very solid, yet not heavy mouthfeel. More of a sipping beer because of its complexity and quality, but go ahead and put a couple back. (524 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this on tap at Hollinshead.

Ap - this poured a deep pine-bark brown with mohogany hues and a solid cream colored lace.
Sm - scents of toffee and nuts hit your nose in a very pleasant bouquet... some sweetness that i cant peg.
Tst - Mmmmm, delicious caramel, toffee and nuts (hazelnuts i'll assume) grace your tongue with hints of a chololate and vanilla blend. This is really damn good stuff.

Very tasty and complex this one. I'm not a nut-brown fan, but maybe i am now. This had a good medium body and could possibly pass as a porter... subtley complex if that makes sense. I will definitely serve this on the holidays and keep a bottle in my refrig. (663 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 22-ounce bomber into a Ten Penny Ale pint glass.

A: Poured a rich tan color with ruby highlights and a two-finger head of light brown foam.

S: Smells quite sweet, with big doses of sticky, sweet caramel malt, a hint of cocoa and raisins, and a smack of sugary hazelnut.

T: Taste is sweet, liquid heaven. A delightful blend of roasted, nutty malts with a great big hazelnut flavor. This is complimented and balanced with a nice stride of spicy hop bitterness near the middle before finishing with a sweet, premium flavored coffee taste.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied and an excellent sipper.

D: The dessert beers of dessert beer. Great on it's own, and fantastic with the chocolate chip cookie I had with it. Very drinkable and quite a nice, lighter after-dinner beer.

With its liquor-like sweetness and great melding of hazelnut extract with a balanced blend of sweet-roasted malts and s bit of spicy bitterness, this is one world class brown ale. Very nice. (983 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love hazelnuts so when I saw this on my bars MBA beer list I figured why not. The beer did not fail to deliver, it was a nice dark brown. The smell was amazing to me there is no better smell than roasted hazelnuts. The nuts weren't very forward, to me i got a bit of maltiness first then came the hazelnuts. The beer was quite smooth not overly carbonated. I could easily drink this everyday possibly with chocolate as a dessert beer? (436 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14%

2004 vintage

A- Aggressive pour into imperial pint glass. creamy 3 finger tan head, dark copper body with little light perception.

S- Lots of toasty roasted malts, liquorice is very noticeable, sweet caramels, hazelnuts

T- mmm, caramel and nuts, lots of nice roasted malts, brown wholemeal toast and bread. Some nice nuts in the finish. The sweetness in the beginning makes it taste bock-like but the roasted flavours bring back the ale qualities

M- Creamy, low carbonation, full bodied

D- Superb drinkability, well balanced in the caramel/toffee notes with the roasted, wholemeal flavours.A superb brown ale! (614 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14%

A: Now that's what a beer should look like! Dark brown with some ruby highlights, and slightly hazy. Nice fluffy white tan head that disapears at a steady rate leaving a thin skin on the top of the beer.

S: Roasted malts overtaken by maple syrup. I'd be lying if I said it didn't smell good, but it definatly dosn't smell much like beer.

T: Roasted malts are first to come out, not strong, but still good. Midtaste some bitterness comes forward as well as the maple syrup flavor detected in the nose. Very good balance of typical brown ale roasted malts and hazelnut.

M: Medium bodied and a very damn smooth beer.

D: I tend to not like beers that have other flavors added to them such as this one, however this was seems to work. I don't drink this one often, but every now and then (such as today) I'll get a craving for it. Sometimes this beer just hits the spot.

*note* Since I reviewed this beer I have been drinking one of these almost everynight! It's damn addictive and damn good, I had to jack up some of my points because of that. (1,058 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Dark in the room so I'm skipping right to the aroma and taste of this beer. The tastes and aromas are in tandem so I'm reviewing by simply by saying that the malts and hazelnut flavor of this beer are perfect. Not too over the top. Just perfect enough to satisfy and keep you yearning for more. The hazelnut flavor is beautiful. Simply beautiful. Makes me want to buy a bagel and load it with hazelnut cream cheese for a perfect pairing. Exceptionally tasty and easy to drink, sooo smooth, just a really amazing and delicious brown. Awesome. (569 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

This brew pours a dark brown, almost black, with a small with head that recedes within seconds. The aroma huge. Chocolate, nuts, more chocolate. The taste is chocolaty too, with roasted flavors as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this beer seems like a cross between a brown ale and a porter. Whatever it may be, it is damn good. (366 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, let me repeat that, wow. I have just found the same experience that I had when I first bit into a piece of toast with Nutella on it. For a fan of the hazelnut, this is the equivalent of a finding dark brown gold in a little 12 oz bottle. If you like a beer with a distinguished nut taste, look no further. You will not find a better beer. Did I mention this beer is good. (376 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

A - deep crimson brown in color with a pretty nice foamy tan head that retains fairly, but only leaves a small amount of lacing. Lucid.

S - Very bold aromas of hazelnut and brown sugar (big surprise there) in the nose. It really gets my mouth watering for that first sip. If only I could stop smelling it....As it warms, I think i'm getting a more roasted aroma. It's pretty damn good

T&M - Delicious. A very rich, nutty flavor. A hint of some earthy hops blending with a roasty character in the finish. Light bodied. Good carbonation helps the flavors develop and aids the drinkability. The flavors develop and endure very well when held to the tongue. I'd like the flavor to be a bit fuller, but it's really damn good.

D - Man, I could easily knock these down one after the other. It drinks so easy: great flavor, light body, abv isn't too high...A very tasty, very sessionable brown ale, to say the least. (911 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Very deep brown in color with dark red hues. Phenomenal rocky brown head. Excellent retention. Sticks around for a long time. Good amount of lacing as well. Not too much but a noticeable amount. Very aromatic nose. Extremely nutty and toasty. Sweet caramel and natural grains notes make an appearance. Brown sugar also comes to mind. Taste is caramel coffee like with some nutty undertones. There is a slight bitterness in the middle but sweetens up a bit with and almond like alcohol taste in the finish. Very good. Mouth feel medium bodied with a smooth velvet finish. Hell. This is one awesome brown ale. Drinkability is 10 out of 10. Very aromatic and tasty. (662 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Nose - The Hazelnut really comes through with this one. Strong nutty, caramel, with a touch of yeast.

Taste - Starts off much like any brown ale, toffee and caramel with a little more richness and intensity of flavor. A bit strong on the alcohol mid way, but you get the full effect of the Hazelnut upon swallowing and forget all about the heat. Nice strong nutty finish that doesn't taste synthetic.

Overall an outstanding example of the style. (447 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Aroma: Like toasted nuts dipped in chocolate; "fancy" almond M&Ms. Very faint woodiness, this beer literally smells sweet.

Appearance: Medium opacity (could live to be the tiniest bit darker), good overall lace retention, sea-foam-washed-over-sand colored head.

Taste: caramel, caramelized onions, hazelnut syrup, hint of nutella

Mouthfeel: Great body, accompanies the beer very well. Best "swish" beer in a while. Medium carbonation, some residual sugar, lots of flavor accompanied by an appropriate body.

Overall: This is a wonderful beer. I prefer my brown ales to taste more like a chocolate milkshake as opposed to nutty; That being said, this is really quite pleasant. I'm not certain I can say I've had anything quite like it. (737 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into my Sam Adams Turbinator glass.

A - Pours a nice deep brown with some slight reddish highlights. Nice head that sticks around for a bit with excellent retention.

S - Rich roasted malts and lots of nutty hazelnut. Smell is really enticing and impressive.

T - Smooth sweet malt hits first, followed by the nutty notes with a bit of hop bitterness. A bit earthy and oak-ey. Really well balanced.

M - Smooth and creamy. Carbonation is perfect.

D - Excellent. It's a delicious beer at a sessionable abv with an overall smooth taste and character.

Notes: I love a good brown ale and this one just shot toward the top of my list. (639 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

An excellent beer that got better once warmed up and it's full flavour was shown.

Aroma: chocolate (similar as in an amber ale) with hazelnut

Taste: Chocolate, hazelnut, spice, with some slight melon and a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste

Alcohol content is masked fairly well and appearance is excellent

Overall - A brilliant beer full of chocolate/hazelnut goodness - pure deliciousness! (397 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

One of My favorite Brown Ales. This was the first Rogue beer I had the pleasure of tasting. This beer has a fantastic aroma - hazelnut, caramel, chocolate. Very smooth nutty flavor and a clean malty finish. A very well balanced brew. If you are a fan of Brown Ales you must try this one. (287 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Brown with just a hint of red. Monsterous 3 finger tan head which left plenty of foamy lacing.

S - Like a creme brule or a hazelnut toffee. Deep but not powerful.

T - Covered in hazelnut and coffee. A hint of chocolate but not overbearing. Almost buttery in its sweetness but not sweet.

M - Very very balanced. Just a hint of carbonation and not too heavy while still being bold.

D - Its medium sweet and not over carbonated. I would call this a great evening beer but not quite a session beer unless you are really into browns. A little sweet for that perhaps. (601 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This is an excellent beer. Rich coffeeish flavors with the nice hazelnut hints make it one of the best dessert beers I've ever had. This beer also has less hop presence than the typical Rogue brew, but I don't think a lot of hops would match the rest of the flavor in this beer. (278 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If you like hazelnut coffe, or happen to like hazelnuts in general, this is your beer. It has a very clean looking appearance, medium brown color with a sweet and flavorful head. It is very nutty, the hazelnut flavor doesn't start or finish the beer, it is the beer. A very sweet beer, if that 's not your thing look elsewhere. Not bitter at any point, smooth, nutty & sweet throughout. This is an amazing beer, could have one with your oatmeal or your pork chops. Delicious. (475 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

I usually review on the spot and I did but my review was deleted. I'm going to go by memory this time around.

Look: Ruby Raspberry and a khaki head.

Smell: Hazelnut upfront and some oats.

Taste: Totally blew me away! Sweet hazelnut, honey, toffee and I'm thinking some oatmeal. They mentioned chocolate in the ingredients but more of a milk chocolate stout flavor. I did not expect this delicious taste from what I smelled. Hands down one of the best by Rogue and best tasting beer I've had in a while.

Mouth Feel: Medium in body. Not a whole lot of carbonation. Felt great in the mouth and going down. Left the mouth feeling a little dry at the end.

Drink Ability: I could drink this all night. Not filling. Delicious tasting. No booze taste at all. I wish I bought another one so I could drink some more now. (820 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

I forgot how good this brew was on draft until today..
Poured a dark, rich brown with a very thin off white head. Nose is malty, nutty nose with hints of chocolate. Hazelnut upfront and then some maple notes. Mouthfeel was very thick. Excellent brew and so smooth. I love it. (275 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

I'm not a big fan of American brown ales, they're usually kind of dull.

And then there's Rogue.

Pours very dark, intense ruby brown, nearly opaque. Very nice, tight two-finger head.

Smells like brown sugar and hops. A roasted hazlenut sweetness mingles with chocolate malt. Very nice.

Complex and delicious! Robust coffee beans upfront make way for a split second of Rogue hops, falling into an incredible bittersweet hazlenut aftertaste. This is better than coffee mate. Lingering aftertaste of sweetness and coffee. Wonderful.

It's got one of the nicest bodies I've ever felt on a beer, too. Creamy and smooth, much like a coffee with a helluva lot of creamer in it. Only tastier.

Such complexity. Such balance. This beer is truly one of the kings of its style. (783 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales