Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 3,815

Glass used: Guinness pint glass

Dark brown color with a light fluffy head.

Nose is mostly dominated by hazelnut.

This beer has an amazing hazelnut flavor with caramel notes through out and a really satisfying chocolate finish. My favorite brown ale.

Nice medium mouth feel with a smooth soft carbonation. (308 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a lovely reddish brown colour with a filmy but sticky head of off-white. Excellent lacing. Clarity is great - a great looking beer all up.

Wow, a phenomenal sweet and rich nose of butterscotch, toffee and roasted sugar coated almonds. Deeper notes of milk chocolate and rye bread. Really good. Not the nasty diacetyl butterscotch you get in pale ales sometimes. This is all intentional and all phenomenal. What a nose!

Buttery sweet and smooth, just phenomenally delicious and tasty. Creamy mouthfeel, light, but with a wonderful slickness. Starts with a light roasted grain note, which just starts layering with sweetness after sweetenss until you have a wonderful sweet anarchy of Wonkaesque proportions. Rambunctious and happy - delicious.

A truly excellent, delicious and uniquely fun beer. Drinkable as long as you can cope with the insane sweetness. (864 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days. (1,355 characters)

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A- Dark brown caramel color with a finger's worth of tan fizzy head that settles quickly to a ring.

S- Bold, smooth, nutty and sticky sweet. MMMmmm.

T- A-mazing. This is so great tasting. Full, rich, caramel, chocolate, hazelnut, malts. Starts out thick and sweet and ends malty. Well-balanced.

M- Thick, creamy, and great.

D- Awesome. Drink it as much as you can. (407 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark copper brown, bubbly tan head, retention is medium, leaves a nice lacing over the top of the beer.

Smell: Hazelnut sweetness very clear, some toasty maltiness, hops are not present, or alcohol, just light and toasty and hazelnut sweet.

Taste: Caramel malt upfront, a little espresso acidity and lemon citrus, then it opens up into a big hazenut extract sweetness, a very light peppery hoppiness quickly fades.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is light and fizzy throughout giving the beer a crispness, but the rest is creamy, very smooth.

Drinkability: Awesome brown ale, it's a top notch ABA with a hazelnut sweetness that is just delicious. After work, with a sugar cookie, it was amazing. (710 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a deep, dark leathery brown with sligh riddish hues. The pour produced a thick head of tannish foam that quickly subsided into a thin bubbly foam.

S - Smelled sweet and malty. definite nutty aroma with hints of graham cracker and almond chocolate biscotti.

T - Malty and buttery upfront followed by a big helping of delicious hazlenut with slight hints of chocolate. Like drinking a glass of nutella.

MF&D - Smooth and creamy. Easy drinking for such a medium/full bodied ale. I admit, I'm a huge brown ale fan, and this one is top notch. Due to the sweetness of this ale, I'm not sure it would make a good session drink, but then again I only had 1 bottle and it went down with great ease. I definitly need to get some more, much more of this stuff. (809 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one has been tried and tested for many years, and I think I only add to praise when I write about this being one of my favorite beers. The beer is dark, but has a lighter tone to the tastebuds. It's smooth, malty and carries a light hazlenutty flavor that tastes great every time.
Sitting in the Portland airport after a visit with my brother, I felt blessed to have a delay and a Rogue bar by my gate. I enjoyed a tall glass of this nectar and decided to get a growler to take home on the plane. I've always enjoyed this particular brew, but that moment at PDX solidified it as a favorite as th beer and I merrily bonded. (629 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance - Dark Brown/Slightly Red, the head disappears instantly after pour with only a little trace of it ever being there. Besides the head being gone, the color of the beer itself makes it look very appealing. Dude on the bottle makes me want to cheers him and drink.

Smell - The smell is very nutty, definitely caramel and vanilla.

Taste - This beer is delicious, from the first sip to the aftertaste. It tastes very nutty, with toffee, caramel and maybe wheat. Some super fire.

Mouthfeel - Perfectly carbinated, not overly sharp, but smooth even while in your mouth.

Drinkability/Overall Review - I love this beer, delicious, I will definitely have this beer again and it is officially one of my favorites. Rogue has done it again! (743 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer departs the bomber a rich brown color with a small head that calls to coat the beer. The nose is very nutty, some roasted and a slight chocolate character. The flavor follows suit very well. Full flavored chocolate covered nuts. More flavor than I remember in any brown ales I've had recently. The feel is very creamy and smooth, moderate to thick on the feel. Nice nice beer. Thank you Rogue for making this one available. I think that this beer could easily become a standard for every season. Not too thick or thin, dark or light. Just balanced really well with a vey nice flavor. Bravo. (600 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rogue hazelnut brown nectar is one of my favorite beers to date. I have tried this one twice, both times in bombers. Would love to see it on tap somewhere but haven't yet. I live in St. Louis, MO and have tried this beer both times as a store bought purchase.

I am a fan of dark beer, primarily stouts, but I love a good brown and this one is tasty and complex. The interesting thing is that the hazelnut flavor creeps up on you almost as an aftertaste, and lingers, becoming sweeter on the palate.

I taste a good deal of honey by the end. I assume this is where the word "nectar" makes its debut, as the beer finishes with a honeyed sweetness. It's not like mead, which is sharp and almost too sweet at times. The hazelnut tempers the nectar flavor, making it warm and cozy. It's a perfect beer for autumn or winter, at a nice old tavern with wood floors and a fire. If it were a color, it would be the color of teak beams lit up a sweet tan in the glinting rays of the setting sun.

It's a lovely experience, and one of which I think I would never tire. (1,060 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I have reviewed this beer as received on-tap... so here goes my bottle review.

My lovely wife purchased me a 22 oz bottle for a Birthday Gift. Yes, I know... she's a keeper!

I poured about 16 oz into a pint glass and produced a nice frothy 1.5" head... only a half inch too much... but I was excited! The head settled down to about 1" within 30 seconds as I svored the nutty aroma of this fine brew!

I was very anxious to taste it because it had been a while since my last one. ABSOLUTELY HEAVENLY! I love this beer. The nutty extracts are clearly present but not overpowering. JUST RIGHT. A perfect amount of sweetness with very little hoppiness.

The mouthfeel on this one is spectacular. Not too carbonated... not too flat.... again just right. It left a nice lingering nutty aftertaste.

Drinkability? Right on.... a very drinkable beer. I finished off the rest of the 22 oz immediately. Left me wanting another. (935 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a fresh (has the Dare*Risk*Dream slogan around the neck) 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nice red-brown color with two fingers of healthy head that retains well and leaves decent lacing. The smell is a serious hazelnut bomb. Hazelnut all over the place. There's a bit of chocolate and roasty malts too. The taste? Wow! This is absolutely astounding. The hazelnuts are so realistic, the slighly toasted nuttiness just comes through superbly, backed up by a bit of milk chocolate and some roasted malts. It all goes down amazingly smoothly, and leaves a wonderful nutty aftertaste on the tongue. This is a seriously superb tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is perfect, it's not too thick and has just the right amount of carbonation. The drinkability is top-notch as well, this is actually a beer that I'm glad is in large-format bottles, because drinking all of it isn't an issue at all. A seriously great brown ale that I highly recommend. (955 characters)

Yum!

This Beer pours a dark brownish Red tinted dark color. Very clear no haze, with a light brown head, almost no lace. Very wood like chocolate tastes hit me right away with a wood/coffee finish. Delicious and smooth. I really enjoyed this beer. I am fairly new at this but so far hands down my favorite Brown Ale so far. Medium Body & feels pretty light. The sophisticated flavors make this more of a beer to savor but still very drinkable. Maybe Not a session beer. But what Great beer is? (494 characters)

A: Dark brown with tan head. Excellent lacing

S: Hazelnut and vanilla and caramel notes.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with some hoppy character.

Tasting Notes: Some light hop character, hazelnut tones, as well as some light hints of chocolate. Maybe a dash of maple. Came highly recommended by a colleague of mine. Extremely drinkable. (328 characters)

22 oz bottle on 1-12-2009

awesome appearance with a toasted nut and woodsy character to the nose

similar taste with a slight malty characteristic, the hop notes don't come thru till the back of the mouth and follows through smoothly

me and my g/f are rogue nation members, we go there everytime we are in portland international airport, in downtown at the public house and cant wait to go to newport, OR to get it at the source!

rogue nation! (446 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass.

A - Dark Brown with reddish hues. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Thin tan head that recedes quickly.

S - Very malty. Hazelnut and Caramel. Tinge of fruits. Very appetizing.

T - Roasted malts up front. Very sweet. Hazelnut and Caramel. Hops add a good bit of zest to the end.

M - Light to medium with a bit of carbonation.

This is a very exceptional brown ale. Very well done. (431 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Served cool in an imperial pint. Has a big brown head to begin with that fades quickly, kind of expected from a brown ale. Very deep brown in color with very little lacing. hazelnut is the overwhelming aroma here. The flavor is absolutley amazing. chocolate, caramel, and toffee malts are all present to begin with, and then you are hit with an amazing wave of hazelnut. very thick and rich in the mouth. Incredibly drinkable. This is a great dessert beer, although you could drink this all night. This beer definitely deserves the number one spot for brown ales. Definitely a must have brown ale for anyone. (608 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a dark brown with reddish/orange hues when held to light and a nice head that disappears fairly quickly but leaves decent lacing.

The smell is very sweet. Nice smell of carmel, hazelnut, and maple syrup as well as some toasted malts.

Taste is very sweet initially. Nice carmel and nutty flavors to go along with the toasted malts. The beer finishes with a hops spiciness.

Mouthfeel is very good and the drinkability is pretty good considering how sweet this brew is.

A great beer that I will definitely purchase again. (537 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

As you place the glass up to your mouth, even before your real first taste, the scent gets you and want to drink deeply and greedily. You do, but you stop yourself to enjoy the full taste of this beer. Wonderfully smooth and seductive, nutty, balanced, perfectly hopped. (270 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger head that quickly disappears, with not much retention, and not much lacing. Body is a clear dark garnet.

Smell - rich, strong aroma of malt bread, and stong aromas of chocolate and caramel. Mouthwatering.

Taste - very hearty taste of malt bread, chocolate, caramel, and hazelnuts. This is malty, chocolatey, caramelly, and nutty, and very rich and hearty. The hazelnuts are wonderful on the finish.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, and rather dry.

Drinkability - this is rich, hearty, and excellent, and it's very sessionable. (579 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a deep saddle brown with a frothy head that does not stick around. There is visible carbonation and a good amount of sediment floating around, awesome! Caramelized malt is the first aromatic with softer tones of nuts, honey, and alcohol. A very diverse boquet. Creamy goodness across the pallet. Nice and quiet bitter finish to a nutty and sweet sip. The nectar and the nuttiness are all pleasantly present in this aptly marketed brew. The understated flavors in this brew from the coffee to the nuts to the sugars are all in perfect blend and lead to a very modest yet over achieving effort. Great wintertime brew to be eaten with my steak and squash. (658 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

A thick light-tan head rests on a glowing reddish brown body. Good head retention and thick lace. Smells of light malts and toffee-like hazelnut. Taste is an interesting and well-executed variation on standard brown ales: sweet and savory combination of chocolate, malt and hazelnut. Mild hop-bitterness. The hazelnut seems to dominate but is not overwhelming. Body is light to medium. Mouthfeel is smooth with an extremely clean finish, making this a very drinkable beer.

This is a very complex, yet well-balanced American take on the brown ale. I wasn’t sure what I would think about the hazelnut character, as I’m not a fan of hazelnut coffees, but it complements the other flavors well and does not seem out of place here. Serious props to the fellas at Rogue for this one. (784 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

Looks real brown semi cloudy with good lacing
A little toasty but definitely hints of hazelnut, something else I can't place...it could be pint glass is not up to par being are Carnivores enjoying this with lunch.
T/m one of most impressive I ever had...delicious hazelnut and malt finish with hops pleasing you right away...smooth and tasty just how a brown ale should be!
Just hit the top of my brown ales list! (414 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow...just wow.
I thought I had tried this at some point, but I would've remembered how wonderful it is.
Pours a milk chocolate color that's a bit lighter than most, but still appetizing. A little bit of a white head forms with a normal pour to cap everything off.
The flavor and smells remind me a little of Nutella! Hazelnut and cocoa blend together with a strong malt base. Oh man that's good. Rogue sometimes hops things pretty heavily, but with this one they used the hops just enough to keep the flavor from being too sweet. The finish is clean, but not too dry. More please! The nice thing about the hazelnut flavor is that it tastes very real and it isn't overbearing.
I really wish this was in 6-packs because I just want more.
This is one of the best beers I've had in years and it might even be in my top 10 of all time.
This is a must have if you like brown ale and/or hazelnuts.

EDIT: On tap this is even better because of the silky texture. Not sure how common it is on draft, but the Yardhouse in Scottsdale, AZ had it. (1,035 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

When Rogue nails it, they really nail it. This is a totally unique, totally fantastic beer. The hazelnut smell is strong, but the flavor is well-balanced and light (in a good way). As such, it's an all weather beer that stands alone. One of our local pubs has a constantly rotating tap, but this one has stayed on as long as I've been going there. It's a flavorful beer but because it's not overwhelmingly bold, it's a great beer to pass off to your friends, especially those who often reach for a Newcastle. (508 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales